Review: Ghostbusters

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
I got the pc version, the controls do not seem unresponsive to me at all. (maybe an xbox issue?)
Also, I can't say I've ever gone 10 minutes with out hitting up a ghost. Course I run from place to place not scanning every nook and cranny. ;)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I just started playing this on my PS3 last night, and I have to say. If you were a fan of this at all growing up or when it was out, like I was obsessed with it, then you won't be disappointed. As the game was starting up I was smiling the widest smile ever and laughing with glee at the pure nostaligarific awesomeness that is this game. The feel of the movies is like perfectly recreated, plus a whole bunch of little extras and throwbacks to old events and such. The trophies (achievements) are all like, old quotes from the movie. Like beating Sedgewick hotel is "I've always wanted to do this" (I was running around the ballroom trying to pull the tablecloth with the action button or some such, then I tried knocking over everything but the flowers, thinking it might be an achievement but apparently I just had to beat it... lol ) it made me exclaim "The flowers are still standing!".

Yeah I'm a huge Ghostbusters nerd, but I mean cmon.... I grew up with these movies.

So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
thiosk said:
perhaps its out on steam?
It is! (In North America anyway.)

I suppose looking at it as like a "movie-themed ghost-hunting simulator" might be best. A pity I'm saving up for moving into a new apartment and can't really afford any extraneous expenses at the moment.

Feb 13, 2008
Taerdin said:
So as Peter Venkman once said to Ray Stanz after he took out a third mortgage to fund their ghostbustin business "You'll never regret this (Ray)!"
"Ray. If someone asks if you are a god, you say, "yes!"

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I've been playing it and really like how it's put together. Some people already said it but it really does feel like you are watching a movie and inserting yourself into some parts.

I really dig it.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Daemon 085 said:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic
If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!
-The PC version definitely got borked (unless you're going with Steam; figures they'd add it to their service after I got the box-copy installed). Load times are needlessly long. The DRM is bull. The installer throws a hissy-fit if you try to install anywhere other than the C: drive. And they took out the multiplayer content because obviously a PC would never be connected to the Internet.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
DaxStrife said:
I gotta say, now that I finally got it running, the game is quite fun if you just let yourself get into it. Short but sweet. That said, I have a couple nitpicks:

-The Ghostbusters theme isn't there. Sure, it starts for about 15 seconds in the intro, and about a minute of it at the end. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a tease; if you're playing a Ghostbusters game you expect to hear the Ghostbusters theme a bit, and at least play the whole song!
That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :p

Tone666

Jun 17, 2009
Just to let you guys know who own PAL systems like myself.. you can get the game right now! its region free so head over to play asia and buy it there (the US version, not the asian version).. i did and its on its way :D will cost you £40.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
DaxStrife said:

That was one thing I didn't mention in my review - it's totally baffling to me that basically the only time you hear the theme song is on the loading screen between deaths. Then again, it does make the 20 seconds or so of waiting around a little more bearable.

Guess you just didn't die enough, DaxStrife :p
Just a couple times during the flaming cherub bit, though I never heard the music then. Wonder if that's another thing stripped for the PC version?

GrouchyBigfoot

Jun 1, 2009
I am not a fan of the movies but I love the game even if its capturing the ghost over and over the ghost are fun to fight with your weapons. Plus a suggestion is to have a friend or two buy this because the online pay is so fun.

Daemon 085

May 20, 2009
Taerdin said:
Daemon 085 said:
i myself wont buy it because it looks too comic
If it wasn't comic it wouldn't be Ghostbusters... and I probably wouldn't have bought it.

That said you must not be a fan of the movies if you feel that way, so yeah you're probably better off staying away and leaving this nostalgiarific love fest to the fans of the series :)
yeah your right, i might give it a go at work, but not buy it, i watched the films when i was a kid and couldnt appreciate it, i might watch again and review my decision :)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
misterprickly said:
I can't wait to play this game; Especially since it allows you to create your own character and go on missions as a buster-in-training!
You can't create your character's appearance, you're just some random brown haired guy. But I guess in a sense you 'create' your character as he never talks or reveals anything about himself. Its up to you to decide 'who' he is. He doesn't even have a name. His little ghostbuster jumpsuit nametag says Rookie, and people call you rookie, or cadet, or new guy... whatever

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
So far I'm enjoying this game. Busting ghost is something I've wanted to do since I was 5 and it's just as awesome as I imagined. :)

My ONLY problem with this game is when you fail a mission you have to sit through a 30-45 second load screen before it throws you back into the action. Bullshit I say!!

-Jon Etheridge
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane