Review: God of War III

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Hmm I don't really like god of war, I really don't think it deserves the high reviews that it has been receiving.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
An Onyx Stake? My name's Onyx!

BADASS.

They must have saw me on these forums and thought of me when they wanted to create something badass.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
meh never really got into hack and slash games, although i liked the Dante's inferno demo...hmmmm =\ probably never get it though.

and i definitely wont be getting this, looks fin, but meh cba with swords and demented gods that you can cut open.

i like blasting my way through a scarab or blowing up buildings if im completely honest =)

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
It looks amazingly good, in a "more of the same but shinier" way, but I think I'll wait until I've finished Yakuza 3 before I get this.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Some of us never owned a PS2... so, if GoW 1&2 before were good, I'm glad this one is the same but new content. Although it may draw some sardonic looks from critics and may lower review scores by half a point, that is how all the good sequels do it.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Wooh 5 stars, would buy it but i won't buy a ps3 just for heavy rain and god of war 3.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
The way I remember the Cronos level in GoW1 was that it wasn't just one level.It was half the fucking game.And what an awesome game it was.

Great review.And I can´t way until I get my copy.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Finally playing the game, it really puts all the other PS3 games to shame. From a technical standpoint, it is an absolute masterpiece:
-No installs.
-Zero noticeable load times
-Smooth frame-rates with over a half-dozen hyper-detailed enemies on screen at once and effects
-Gigantic and beautiful landscapes
-Best gore effects of any game out there
-Fantastic musical score throughout
-Solid voice-acting
-Absolutely huge, traverse-able and moving Titans second only the to SotC Colossi
-No need for a bazillion filters and effect tricks to cover up blurry textures and blocky environments (*cough*Killzone2*cough*)

I am so impressed with this game that it almost gets in the way of me enjoying the actual gameplay. I suppose I will have to play through a second time so I can stop gawking and marveling and just play. =/

Generator

May 8, 2009
I was literally laughing out loud at the scene in the video when you described the way you defeat Cronos; it's so over the top that I just couldn't help myself. I've yet to try the God of War series, but the sheer over-the-top ridiculous style of the entire thing has finally pushed me over the edge. I'll be sure to pick this up right after I finish the Collection.

Thanks for a great review!

asleep at the comp

Jun 26, 2008
Setsuhen said:
Great review. Its nice to see that GoW upped the puzzle difficulty.

I am, however, embarassed to say that some it's predecessor's puzzles had me stumped.
they did the same to me nothing to be ashamed

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Spiler warning people! You kill gods in GoW3? Well now that you reavealed the plot I don't feel like buying it anymore. :(

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
To everyone flicking indecisively back and forth--If you have a PS3, and have ever felt that it might not be all that it's supposed to be, then play God of War 3. The sheer amount of technical power and prowess that this game displays makes billion dollar movies look like hand-cam films. Every moment is gigantic, flawless, and powerful, and not once was there a moment when the power was strained. No installs (only a 277kb memory save, to boot), 10-15 second load times, flawless and fluid motion, a story with actual twists, turns, surprises, and closure, something I haven't seen in a game in years. Not to mention that the puzzles are enthralling little tie-ins that don't feel forced in in any way (well, one, but you'll know which when you see it) that give you that exhilarating sense of accomplishment when you solve them without crying like a baby and running to the internet.

Casual Shinji said:
When a game gets me to laugh with insane glee, it's doing something very, very right............or wrong.

Kratos is a bit more sympathatic in this final installment wich make some of his actions a little shocking. There were two main incidents where afterwards I thought: "Seriously Kratos, that was not cool."
Can you PM which moments you thought that? I can think of one, but I'm curious to see which ones you thought were too far.

mexicola said:
Spiler warning people! You kill gods in GoW3? Well now that you reavealed the plot I don't feel like buying it anymore. :(
Serious, or Sarcasm? I can't tell. If serious, c'mon, you knew that, he did that in both the other games, and they pretty much said "we're gonna kill some gods in #3" at the end of the second one. But, even knowing that, which gods you go after, and their appearances, are extremely well done. If you're familiar at all with Greek Mythology, you'll find a few surprises scattered throughout the experience that always gives you something to look forward to. If you played and liked the first two, then play number 3--there's not a moment that you'll regret.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
To everyone flicking indecisively back and forth--If you have a PS3, and have ever felt that it might not be all that it's supposed to be, then play God of War 3. The sheer amount of technical power and prowess that this game displays makes billion dollar movies look like hand-cam films. Every moment is gigantic, flawless, and powerful, and not once was there a moment when the power was strained. No installs (only a 277kb memory save, to boot), 10-15 second load times, flawless and fluid motion, a story with actual twists, turns, surprises, and closure, something I haven't seen in a game in years. Not to mention that the puzzles are enthralling little tie-ins that don't feel forced in in any way (well, one, but you'll know which when you see it) that give you that exhilarating sense of accomplishment when you solve them without crying like a baby and running to the internet.

Casual Shinji said:
When a game gets me to laugh with insane glee, it's doing something very, very right............or wrong.

Kratos is a bit more sympathatic in this final installment wich make some of his actions a little shocking. There were two main incidents where afterwards I thought: "Seriously Kratos, that was not cool."
Can you PM which moments you thought that? I can think of one, but I'm curious to see which ones you thought were too far.

mexicola said:
Serious, or Sarcasm? I can't tell. If serious, c'mon, you knew that, he did that in both the other games, and they pretty much said "we're gonna kill some gods in #3" at the end of the second one. But, even knowing that, which gods you go after, and their appearances, are extremely well done. If you're familiar at all with Greek Mythology, you'll find a few surprises scattered throughout the experience that always gives you something to look forward to. If you played and liked the first two, then play number 3--there's not a moment that you'll regret.
Of course it's sarcasm, who on earth buys GoW for the story. :p

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
mexicola said:
Of course it's sarcasm, who on earth buys GoW for the story. :p
H'okay, just making sure. Surprisingly, GoW actually has story, though--it's a pleasant little bonus to the fun.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
They made the puzzles harder? The old puzzles where hard enough not that the puzzles themselves where but trying to move a 30 ton statue through fire while fighting off enemies is really fucking annoying

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
Great review, I am chewing through a good portion of the game and am pretty sure I am nearing the end, and I am loving it.

I do have one question for everyone out there though. Anyone playing on Titan Mode (And this may just be the difficulty level) notice that near the end of the Labyrinth the difficulty kinda ratchets up from manageable to "What the FUCK?" I just went through one of the most ridiculous bout of respawning enemies. I think I died on that sequence alone then the rest of the game combined. Anyone else notice a sudden spike in the game's toughness on Titan Mode?

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I was smiling with sadistic glee from the video alone... The finale reminded me of what it was like to fight the Colossus of Rhodes for the first time, only this time the colossus is about a thousand times bigger. Funny how Cronos can maintain that level of finger dexterity for someone his size...

If I ever get a PS3, this would be the first game that would ever touch its drive.