Review: God of War III

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
now i don't know if its been done before gears of War but getting swallowed and having to carve your way out reminded me of that level in Gears with the worm.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
mexicola said:
Spiler warning people! You kill gods in GoW3? Well now that you reavealed the plot I don't feel like buying it anymore. :(
I agree. This is almost as bad as the time I watched the trailer for Titanic. It ruined the suspense of the whole film!

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Kirosilence said:
I do have one question for everyone out there though. Anyone playing on Titan Mode (And this may just be the difficulty level) notice that near the end of the Labyrinth the difficulty kinda ratchets up from manageable to "What the FUCK?" I just went through one of the most ridiculous bout of respawning enemies. I think I died on that sequence alone then the rest of the game combined. Anyone else notice a sudden spike in the game's toughness on Titan Mode?
Yeah, the different difficulty modes affect the combat a lot (more enemies, enemies inflict more damage on you, you get fewer orbs for killing things and/or opening chests), so the combat-heavy sections like that particular part wind up becoming a lot tougher.

And Chaos mode is even worse...if I recall correctly, you only do 3/4 your normal damage, enemies do something like FIVE TIMES their normal damage to you, you only get about 1/4 the "normal" number of orbs...yikes!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
Review: God of War III

Kratos makes his bloody debut on a next-gen console, but is it just a shinier version of the same old game?

Read Full Article
I hate to do this but I just wanted to make not to your question.

Does it matter?

I'll go back to my sex analogy (or is it a metaphore...damn literary devices...): Is sex suddenly bad because it isn't entirely unique each time? Are the similarities between each sexual act what makes them or what breaks them?

I personally am a HUGE fan of sex and frankly I don't see myself ever getting bored of it.

Likewise. If Pokemon never drastically changes you'll never head a complaint from me.

Now I haven't finished a GoW yet (making my way through the remastered first one atm) but I don't see a problem with shinier version of the same thing.

In the gaming universe nothing ruins a good thing worse faster than taking something that isn't broken, trying to fix it, and fucking it sideways. That time I meant as in breaking, not actual sexual intercourse...although sometimes the sequels to games DO look like they were coded by a man pounding at a keyboard with his...

You get my point.

Bullsquid

Dec 19, 2009
Just beat it.

Combat: Best of series, but you don't get into the meat of it until toward the end.

Puzzles: They aren't really harder than the ones in the last games, but they're a lot better thought out and blend in with the levels better.

Boss fights: Awesome. While they're all great, the opening battle with Poseidon is one of the most epic, jaw-dropping sequences in gaming history. First person beating ftw.

Ending: This is where the game falters a bit. After all grand-scale awesomeness you just played through, you expect a grand finale. The actual ending feels a little rushed and really doesn't give you the satisfying sense of closure you'd hope.

Dark Angel Warlord

Mar 20, 2010
i am so glad they didnt screw up the sequels
some games atart off awesome then a few crappy sequels get made
mario 2 anyone? metal gear 2 anyone? uh! GAWD that game makes me cry

i love god of war i want to get those tattos he has
he is such a bad mofo

he should have his own tv series on adult swim and kill and destroy and love it !
keep up the great job and just keep it rocking!

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Shy_Guy said:
Finally playing the game, it really puts all the other PS3 games to shame. From a technical standpoint, it is an absolute masterpiece:
-No installs.
-Zero noticeable load times
-Smooth frame-rates with over a half-dozen hyper-detailed enemies on screen at once and effects
-Gigantic and beautiful landscapes
-Best gore effects of any game out there
-Fantastic musical score throughout
-Solid voice-acting
-Absolutely huge, traverse-able and moving Titans second only the to SotC Colossi
-No need for a bazillion filters and effect tricks to cover up blurry textures and blocky environments (*cough*Killzone2*cough*)
I am so impressed with this game that it almost gets in the way of me enjoying the actual gameplay. I suppose I will have to play through a second time so I can stop gawking and marveling and just play. =/
Completely true in every way. I personally had a few problems near the end of the game with frame issues during cut scenes, but i get the feeling it was more my console's problems then the game.

Storywise, however...

I am left feeling dismayed. Without giving anything away, the game was left very open ended, even more open ended then the last games. Understandably, it ties a lot of loose ends, and there is a little closure to be had - but after everything, after all that Kratos goes through, is that really how it ends? Really? C'mon.

Its hard to see whats going to happen next, and that frightens me a little - the next story could be a letdown to the canon as well as the characters. There is only so much disbelief the audience can suspend, and after the end...how could anything be revived?

BloodyViking

Dec 24, 2009
Ugh... you people and your "brain can't function for this game" skills. The puzzles make this game interesting, the hack-and-slash make it intense, and the story blows all other game story lines out of the water. If you cannot solve a puzzle in this trilogy, you probably don't need to be leaving your home without a helmet. I have never seen a better looking game, and I don't regret pre-ordering the Ultimate Edition (I just wish is had more substance than a box, a book, and game - soundtrack is an awesome grab though). But the game is perfectly fine on its own - it's flawless. Every scene a God or Titan is killed is epic. Mostly original ideas throughout the game, which is surprising. The end... well... I don't know what to think seeing as how "this is the last of THIS series". But hey, it was well worth it. Thank you Florida Bright Futures Scholarship for buying me this game... and thanks EX-girlfriend for the PS3!!! HAHAHA! Score!

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Hmm I don't really like god of war, I really don't think it deserves the high reviews that it has been receiving.
what? i dont like some games, but i dont say they dont deserves high review scores. what wrong with GOW3?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
irishdude said:
Phoenixlight said:
Hmm I don't really like god of war, I really don't think it deserves the high reviews that it has been receiving.
what? i dont like some games, but i dont say they dont deserves high review scores. what wrong with GOW3?
The weapons aren't really that much different to each other, the combo's get quite boring after a while, there's inappropriate mini-games and I don't like playing as the evil side in games.

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
irishdude said:
Phoenixlight said:
The weapons aren't really that much different to each other, the combo's get quite boring after a while, there's inappropriate mini-games and I don't like playing as the evil side in games.
well if ya finish gow3 ya would know that your not on the evil side.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
PopcornAvenger said:
I'm reminded of the tale of the Gordian Knot. For those unfamilar with this priceless gem of mythology, the Gordian Knot was a knotted, magical rope that was considered unsolvable by mortal man. There was a prophecy that whoever solved the puzzle would go on to conquer the known world.

Alexander the Great had heard of the puzzle, and, given he was interested in conquest, tracked it down. He approached it, looked at it . . . .then drew his sword and cut it in half.

THAT is a warrior's reaction to puzzles.

Maybe the developers could give the player this option, to destroy the puzzle instead of solving it, say, for lesser points or soul gems, whatever. It would be very satisfying to climb over the wreckage of these time-wasters, and a way for the player to thumb his nose at their developer.
I can somewhat relate to what you're saying. It's kind of odd how these characters sometimes approach bumps in the road (puzzles), and go about solving them rather than calling forth their primal nature that is reflected throughout the majority of the game. However the purpose of the puzzles is to create variation, and depending on the genre and placement in the game, they should range from very difficult, to laughable.

Solving these puzzles in games rarely ever reward you with something tangible. The reward is plot progression, and being able to move on to the next stage. Saying that you could be "rewarded less souls" in God of War by simply destroying the puzzle makes no sense, seeing how you're never rewarded anything other than advancing beyond that given puzzle.

Same can be said of essentially every puzzle section in a pure action game. Adventure and RPG games have more rewards tied into puzzles, but when it comes to straight up Action games like Bayonetta, God of War, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, etc., the reward isn't really needed and isn't typical of the genre at all.

God-of-Peace

Mar 25, 2010
Just...what...the hell!!!

You just ignored the most basic rule in making a review:

DON'T SPOIL THE FREAKIN' GAME!!

And if you intend to at least put a spoiler warning or something. I mean, not to mention that you talked about all the new weapons and their abilities (which is like going to see a movie at the cinema and hearing a guy talking about some plot twists) you continued to give concrete examples, like the echochrome like level, and I just couldn't take it anymore so I turned it off, subscribed (yah I hope you are happy now) and wrote this reply so that you understand that reviews are used so that people can decide if they should buy or not the product. If they wanted to know the spoils of the game, they would go see a walkthrough or something like that.

Geez! I'm all stressed out now. I think I'll go and see if I can get some free night company and relieve some of it.

Later!

God-of-Peace

Mar 25, 2010
.....................................................................................................................................................................................

No offense but for those who are saying that the story sucks, you're basically morons.

I mean, the adaptation of the greek mithology done by the God of War series is superb.
And the fact that you play as deep traumatic warrior seeking revenge so that he can atonish (don't know if it's well written) for his mistakes in life, is way better than playing with a happy-triger fella or a "I kill for fun" kinda guy. Not to mention the superb locals that can tell us (inderectly) the story of what happened there.

So you see, the story ain't just about the narration (even though it's also top notch) it's also in the characters and in the envierments (I think I mispelled it).

Just the fact that you might think that the clash between titans and gods is awesome is a proof that the story is being well transmited.

SpecJoe Magic

Jan 26, 2010
God-of-Peace said:
Just...what...the hell!!!

You just ignored the most basic rule in making a review:

DON'T SPOIL THE FREAKIN' GAME!!

And if you intend to at least put a spoiler warning or something. I mean, not to mention that you talked about all the new weapons and their abilities (which is like going to see a movie at the cinema and hearing a guy talking about some plot twists) you continued to give concrete examples, like the echochrome like level, and I just couldn't take it anymore so I turned it off, subscribed (yah I hope you are happy now) and wrote this reply so that you understand that reviews are used so that people can decide if they should buy or not the product. If they wanted to know the spoils of the game, they would go see a walkthrough or something like that.
I'm glad that someone finally mentioned this. Too many websites are spoiling games nowadays. There are plenty of ways to describe the good and bad qualities of a game without giving specific examples. What the reviewer has done is inexcusable, and I will no longer read video game reviews or watch review video supplements at this website.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
The game looks more epic than ever. I never actually got anything after the first since my PS2 broke around that time, but I just have to ask this random question.
Is it just that I haven't played the First God of War in so long, or does Kratos have a different voice than he did in the first one?