Review: Halo Wars

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Hmmm, makes you wonder if the Wiimote is any better suited for the job. I've been amazed how much easier it is to aim with the thing in an FPS.
You would think it would work really well for TPS.

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Godammit, when will people learn, that if an RTS is on a console, it will never be the best it can be. Halo Wars is a good game, but without selection boxes or proper unit toggling things can become very frustrating. If you can plug a keyboard into a 360, then why can't they make it so you can plug a mouse into it?
You can use both... a la Final Fantasy XI, which allowed for both Keyboard and Mouse support on the 360... as well as other third-party games...

The point Microsoft wants to make is "If you want a keyboard/mouse, play on a PC. If you want a controller play on the Xbox." So they don't allow for keyboards/mice in most of their games.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Acidburn50 said:
However I am actually more displeased with Susan Art as I believe she calls herself. I am not a women hater and just think that your site is making a mistake when you let her give her piece on anything.

It was very clear that not only was she not an RTS fan but i couldnt even find much evidence of her being a fan of video games in general. I realize that your site subscribes to cynicism... case in point Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Honestly though I feel like one is enough and if you want a sarcastic review of games then please just leave it up to him because he is at the very least FUNNY! She just sounds dry and lonely.

Taking a step backwards to a previous statement I once again find myself wondering if she has even ever played an RTS before because if she was even the slightest fan of the genre she would realize that they are nearly impossible to bring to the console and that is what makes Ensembles efforts so profound.

First of all a Xbox 360 controller has 13 buttons and thats if you include the start and select buttons and also take into account the ability to click both joysticks. This being very different from a pc which has afull keyboard consisting of roughly 80 keys which depending on the game in question can all be used to set whatever macro you can dream of.
That being the biggest thing which sets the two platforms apart I am brought to my next point. You could literally count the number of REAL TIME STRATEGY games made for the 360 on ONE HAND! The fact that Ensemble had the abbility to not only bring a major franchise into an entriely new genre which has everyone excited but do that in such a beautiful way with such fluent controls that do nothing but support gameplay no matter how you look at it.

I am not just a Halo fanboy who feels the need to defend halo every time someones opinions differ from that of my own my only real argument is that a site with so many good things to offer should not let some dull little Troll cowering behind a mouse and keyboard with no real grasp on what fun is and how that equivelates to video games go anywhere near your sites reviews because up and untill this point I actually respected your sites reiviews very much and thought they wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction but now I have been proven so very very wrong.
First of all: I edited your wall of ignorance text so it was coherent.

Second of all: A good review doesn't automatically mean it will agree with your opinion. Jordan, among others (Myself included) didn't think the game was that great. Speaking for myself for a moment: As a longtime fan of RTS games, I found it to be a shallow and very forgettable RTS. The controls were terrible, and if controlling the game sucks, the game won't be very fun to play. The only reason this game will sell well is because of the Halo name. That's it. People will put up with shit if it's got a brand name they like, and this game is no exception. And who cares how many RTS games there are on the console? That doesn't make this good! Even if it was the ONLY one, it would still have crappy controls and forgettable gameplay. Get over it.

Third: Where do you get off calling Susan a troll? No-one is forcing you to agree with the review, and many people here have stated how they enjoy the game. Fine. But to call a MOD a troll? Because she read a script that she didn't write about a game you're so horny for? Are you 7 years old?

Seriously, this is ridiculous. This is like the mail-bag showdown of ZP when he didn't like Smash Bros. It's a freaking game, get over it. You liked it? Fine! Like it then. But to come on here and personally insult the reviewer person who read the script for the reviewer because you didn't like the review? Get over yourself. Ensemble Studios isn't watching with their breath held while you ride in like some knight to save the day from the bad reviewer. They just want your money. Shuttup.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Godammit, when will people learn, that if an RTS is on a console, it will never be the best it can be. Halo Wars is a good game, but without selection boxes or proper unit toggling things can become very frustrating. If you can plug a keyboard into a 360, then why can't they make it so you can plug a mouse into it?
Never say never. I am sure there is a way to bring the RTS onto console in a meaningful way, I just haven't seen it done so far. Endwar was onto something with voice commands though.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Real Time Strategy continues to experiment with console controllers, it's still no good than the mouse.

Exadon

Feb 2, 2009
This review is crap. Honestly?how could anyone have a hard time with the control system. There are mass amount of reviews that are bashing this game just because there is no mouse or keyboard without even playing the game.

The controls are simple. Simple simple simple. All my friends who picked this up (most of them FPS fans, some RTS fans) had no problems with the controls.

I have been a huge RTS fan since starcraft, if you liked starcraft ? you may be slightly disappointed with the set base locations?

That said, the rest is great. Play the demo and see how you like it (make sure to check out the skrimrage)

Exadon

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Ensemble Studios isn't watching with their breath held while you ride in like some knight to save the day from the bad reviewer. They just want your money. Shuttup.
Clearly they are not...since Ensemble studios is no more.

Serenius

Jan 12, 2009
This review was utter shit and imparted no useful information outside of the trite console vs. PC argument. Rabble, rabble, rabble, RTS without a mouse, rabble, rabble, rabble, would be better with mouse & keyboard. Congratulations, Sherlock, your mastery of the obvious is outstanding.

For a snob-nosed PC RTS elitist, I find it incredulous that you were so hung up on the tired mouse/keyboard diatribe to miss that the focus of the strategy in the game is base management, and high-level strategy. Pretty easy adjustment to make once you've played for 5 minutes and realize that the AI takes care of the majority of the combat work for you. Maybe I'm off-base in that assumption, but your failure as a reviewer was mentioning it if you did manage to connect the dots.

Maybe if you had taken two seconds to get off your mouse & keyboard soapbox, you could have pointed out some actual flaws with the game, such as frustrating pathing with large vehicles, or the inability to use the L-trigger to go backwards in unit selection when multiple unit types are selected.

The statement "For a series that probably never had an RTS in mind" just shows how laughable your ignorance is, since the original Halo was intended to be a Mac RTS (something I imagine has probably been said many times in this thread already). Here's a helpful hint that real reviewers follow: If you're going to pompously pontificate your opinion, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about before eschewing it to the masses.

Has the Escapist done their hiring of reviewers rejected by IGN? At least when I go there to read reviews, the staff uses their review space to do an actual review instead of a poor attempt to parrot Yahtzee's colorful, tangential rants.

There are plenty of things to write a hate speech about when reviewing this game. It's a pity you failed to include a single one in this pathetic sham of a review.

palmcrusher

Jun 13, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Huh, they made a RTS for a console, thats just weird.

palmcrusher said:
God this game is a joke. You cant play rts on consoles. You need the precision of a mouse and the speed of a keyboard for the game to not insanely slow and boring. This game would fail hard if it didn't have halo plastered on the cover to lure all the fan boys into a crap ass game.
*sigh* please refrane from making comments about a game tell you've played it. it's one of my pet peves. Yes the game may be awful, but untill you play it you shouldent assume it.
people can shut up about me supposedly not playing the game. i have infact played it and it was horrible so stop QQing about how its a shitty game with halo slapped on the front to disguise it and get it more sales.

BLa5ter NZ

Jul 22, 2009
I love halo wars, the controls are just perfect, a little frustrating at times but perfectly playable, I do prefer PC RTS like Supreme Commander, but Halo wars is the only RTS that works on a console well. Its fast easy to learn and an all round fun experience with games lasting between 5 mins to 4 hours. Its the way to go if you dont want to spend 3 days just trying to beat one game

The bottom line; its fun thats what games are about right?