Review: Limbo

Reagus

Apr 1, 2009
I loved the game completly, but at $15 I feel it was too much too pay. The problem for me is once you know how to do the puzzles, you will breeze through the game on any playthroughs, and theres really no incentive to really play it again parring that you feel in the mood for it, with the achievements being pretty easy to get overall.

There are two things I hated though.

Firstly the description for the game on the arcade. Aka "A boy enters limbo to find his sister", which we would have no idea of if it wasn't for this description. Nowhere in the entire game do we learn that were looking for his sister, and that he "entered limbo" to do so, which just feels utterly stupid.

The second thing is the ending....
The ending was hyped up from the start with comparisons to Braid and it being "one of the best game endings ever" to quote the IGN review. And when I got to the end, I thought it WAS going to be epic when you wake up after smashing through the "glass", and I thought that the entire game was going to loop, and that the ending was that in Limbo it was somewhere you were stuck and you had to endure an impossible task involving multiple deaths to get out, over and over again.

But no, you just find your "sister" and then you notice that the title screen is the same as the end where you found her, and that there are apparently two corpses because theres some flies hovering over where the both of you stood.

As interesting as the "Oh the title page is the end screen eh" is, I found it to be WAY too open to interpritation. I don't mind various theories on what it all means, but only if theres a "nudge" as to whats correct, so you can see what the creators intent of the end was. I just found it to be massively unsatisfying, and a cop out to be frank. Not epic at one bit sadly.

Reagus

Apr 1, 2009
Kapol said:
It has the controversy of Braid, but really is more straight forward, more like the ending of Inception with the two options that can be explored different ways. Plus, at least Braid tried to tell a story. This felt a lot more like 'go here do this' with no in-game reason.

Good game, just not worth $15. Maybe $10 at most.
I quoted this without reading it, but don't mention film spoilers either

nightkill

Aug 2, 2010
@ a time where the average video game is $59.99 WTF? $15 is well worth the download
And Thanks Susan for your Inquisitive & Professional Reviews+Previews,I Enjoy them immensely when stumped on a New game selection.

All Escapist Writers and reviewers...Thumbs Up..xD

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
GREAT game, deffo worth its 10$ :D
awesome spider-esque stage, imo
dear god I hated the zombie worms :(