Review: Madden NFL 11

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

It's really not just a yearly roster update.

Read Full Article

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
So this + Backbreaker = Win?

Do like the Madden Series even before I moved stateside and really got into NFL.

Gameflow does sound like a great change and finally no sprint to worry over that button kept me from so many jukes and goose steps in previous games!

EDIT: EA did a similar thing with the FIFA games, they fell behind the times with overly ambitious or silly additions and PES took the stage as a more fun game. now with the realism and the way it plays its taken back its crown as the best football (Soccer for you Americans) game on the market

TylerC

Nov 12, 2008
It's good to see they have picked them selves back up after the previous Madden titles that have been sub-par to say the least.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Interesting. I mildly enjoyed Madden '09 I think it was. So perhaps I should give this one a go. I won't pay for it, of course; my brothers love buying sports games. I should be able to point them in the right direction on this one.

lillebille

Apr 16, 2009
LordKaT said:
I will respond to this article as calmly and rationally as I possibly can:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN MIND?! Madden 11 has to be THE SINGLE WORST cheap corporate cash in title that I have EVER come across in my ENTIRE LIFE!

I cannot even being to articulate the seething hatred I have for this article writer. I wish you death, sir, death, for even remotely hinting that this game might actually be a worthy game to add to your collection.

I hate you. I hate you with every single ounce of my cold, black soul.
i second that but whit less hate more sadness...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LordKaT said:
I will respond to this article as calmly and rationally as I possibly can:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN MIND?! Madden 11 has to be THE SINGLE WORST cheap corporate cash in title that I have EVER come across in my ENTIRE LIFE!

I cannot even being to articulate the seething hatred I have for this article writer. I wish you death, sir, death, for even remotely hinting that this game might actually be a worthy game to add to your collection.

I hate you. I hate you with every single ounce of my cold, black soul.
Just a small tip if you want to stay around here. Don't wish death on staff members. Surely you can see why that's a stupid thing to do.

Anyway, I don't mind EA Sports games, even if they usually don't change much, they're still consistently good. Still, I'd rather stick to sports that my country plays.

tjspeirs

Aug 7, 2010
I watched LordKaT play this game over his livestream. In the first game he played, there were at least 10 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and easily 10 hurt players on both his _and_ the computer opponent's teams.

...what?!

How is that even possible? Because it was raining?! Can't really accept that unless it was raining olive oil! This says nothing of the pathetic looking crowd (literally one group of maybe 15 people that don't fill half the seats) and the fact that New Meadowlands Stadium doesn't exist in this game. That's really pathetic.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
I was waiting for the Madden hate to come to the Escapist. I've seen it everywhere else and all I can say is all you 2K5 enthusiasts need to find a new hobby. I like this iteration as much as it's predecessors. It took a bit of getting used to and now it's just what I wanted...another season of football.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Freebird. said:
Just a small tip if you want to stay around here. Don't wish death on staff members. Surely you can see why that's a stupid thing to do.
Protip: Comedy exists outside of your Yhatzee. Sometimes people even use it to emphasize a point in their criticism of an article.

In either case, ban me, probation, whatever you do. It's your community, and I don't particularly care about it. I still think the staff member in question is so phenomenally stupid that they really should never write another article again and instead get a job working in a Deli.

tjspeirs

Aug 7, 2010
SoulChaserJ said:
I was waiting for the Madden hate to come to the Escapist. I've seen it everywhere else and all I can say is all you 2K5 enthusiasts need to find a new hobby. I like this iteration as much as it's predecessors. It took a bit of getting used to and now it's just what I wanted...another season of football.
If they made a good product, there wouldn't be as much hate.

Or they could free the license and allow some competition. Or do you support monopolies?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tjspeirs said:
I watched LordKaT play this game over his livestream. In the first game he played, there were at least 10 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and easily 10 hurt players on both his _and_ the computer opponent's teams.

...what?!

How is that even possible? Because it was raining?! Can't really accept that unless it was raining olive oil! This says nothing of the pathetic looking crowd (literally one group of maybe 15 people that don't fill half the seats) and the fact that New Meadowlands Stadium doesn't exist in this game. That's really pathetic.
See, that's funny, because I played the game all weekend and never saw a thing like that. The worst that happened was a one-in-a-million glitch where a field goal hit an upright and didn't go in, but the announcers acted like it did.

So, I guess it's fair to say that this one experience isn't anywhere near norm :)

LordKaT said:
Freebird. said:
Protip: Comedy exists outside of your Yhatzee. Sometimes people even use it to emphasize a point in their criticism of an article.

In either case, ban me, probation, whatever you do. It's your community, and I don't particularly care about it. I still think the staff member in question is so phenomenally stupid that they really should never write another article again and instead get a job working in a Deli.
Yes, because my experiences with a game fail to mirror your preconceived notions, and because I found Madden 11 to be the most streamlined and best-playing football game I'd ever touched, this clearly means I am phenomenally stupid and have not been spending the last two years of my life learning how to judge a game on its own merits and on my own experiences.

Yeah, I think you need to take a time out. :)

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
The new play-calling has made online enjoyable for the first time for me. I wish there was a mode so that you could only use flowcast and default audibles. There is still too much time waiting for your opponent hunting around for that perfect play they like to exploit. Ultimate team is fun as well though it is easy to get a real mismatch in players if you get someone who buys a lot of packs, but that has only happened once to me.

The big beef is FREEZING!!! About every other game in offline franchise (my favorite mode) freezes. It looks like this is a common problem in both Xbox and PS3 (I'm an XBox) in off-season mode and I hope it gets fixed.

The most underrated improvement is the smarter blocking AI. It really improves the running game and combined with the removal of the pointless boost button makes it fun to play run oriented offenses again. They fixed the receiving animation choices which were terrible last year which is a plus as well.

All in all I think the tweaks were good and as long as the freezing is addressed, it's not bad. If you hate Madden in general this one will probably not change your mind, but for those that play it at least semi-regularly it is steps in the right directions.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
I think the Gameflow is perfect since it makes the game easier to play, since you don't have to worry about the 300 plays that you probably won't use, and most importantly, it's optional. You don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that. I still contend that the best baseball game ever was World Series Baseball 98 for the Saturn. Because it gave you the option to let the computer control the fielding and base running, leaving me to only worry about pitching and batting.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Also on the silence in Superstar mode, I thought that was the way with Road to Glory as well (at least it was in NCAA 10...I skipped 11 this year).

The reason for this is that the regular game tries to mimic a T.V. telecast. Commentators, replays, multiple angles, stats flashing up, etc.

Superstar is the complete opposite. You are supposed to be just the player. All that other stuff is gone, the camera is zoomed in closer to the player to give you more of his perspective that a birds-eye view of the field. You can only hear the chatter of the players on the field, the roar of the crowd and the announcements from the stadium P.A. announcer. Just like a player on the field. It is different, but it's supposed to be.

Superstar is also a great was to play a real quick game when you are really hurting for time. I wish the off the field and pre-draft side of superstar was fleshed out more like it was back a few years ago (at least on the PC releases), but it's still a nice change of pace.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jason I like ya, but buddy but don't be trolling. Just because someone else disagrees with what you think is no reason to get mad at them. They're opinions for a reason, they cannot be right or wrong. Then proceeding to insult the community because we don't "get the joke".

That being said, on the game at hand I have no opinions because I don't play games like this.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
Haha! I came hear after watching Lordkat explode on his livestream. Funny stuff.

OT: It amazed me how they managed to screw something like this up, it's pretty difficult to make such a basic sports game come out so poorly. :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
leviticusd said:
The new play-calling has made online enjoyable for the first time for me. I wish there was a mode so that you could only use flowcast and default audibles. There is still too much time waiting for your opponent hunting around for that perfect play they like to exploit. Ultimate team is fun as well though it is easy to get a real mismatch in players if you get someone who buys a lot of packs, but that has only happened once to me.

The big beef is FREEZING!!! About every other game in offline franchise (my favorite mode) freezes. It looks like this is a common problem in both Xbox and PS3 (I'm an XBox) in off-season mode and I hope it gets fixed.

The most underrated improvement is the smarter blocking AI. It really improves the running game and combined with the removal of the pointless boost button makes it fun to play run oriented offenses again. They fixed the receiving animation choices which were terrible last year which is a plus as well.

All in all I think the tweaks were good and as long as the freezing is addressed, it's not bad. If you hate Madden in general this one will probably not change your mind, but for those that play it at least semi-regularly it is steps in the right directions.
This is seriously strange, because I haven't had a single game freeze on me. It's possible that I just got lucky - I'm not saying it's NOT an issue, just one I haven't encountered yet. I wonder if it may be a hardware issue.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
I am happy that this version has created something new for the franchise. Definately need to check it out. I buy one sports game per sport about every 5 years because they end up being just 'roster updates', so perhaps I will pick this one up this half-decade.

Perhaps innovation isn't dead?

Or, perhaps the innovation just needed the pressure of a looming fiscal loss to make it rise from its grave.

Also, what's with all the Funk haters? Seriously?

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Strange amount of hate in this thread, wish people would learn to construct a civilized argument. "I hate you" is not an argument.

OT: Not a fan of sports games in general, but that is quite a nice yearly update if I do say so myself, I like the idea of them telling you to look for an opportunity and that sort of thing, seems nice :).

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
tjspeirs said:
If they made a good product, there wouldn't be as much hate.

Or they could free the license and allow some competition. Or do you support monopolies?
They made a good product that a lot of people like. Just some people can't stop whining about 2k5. If you like 2k5, play 2k5, I like this iteration of Madden. It's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as you are. So here's a concept, if you don't like Madden 11, go PLAY SOMETHING ELSE.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
John Funk said:
This is seriously strange, because I haven't had a single game freeze on me. It's possible that I just got lucky - I'm not saying it's NOT an issue, just one I haven't encountered yet. I wonder if it may be a hardware issue.
It could be. I don't have problems with any other game, but I do have an older XBox (an arcade that I bought a hard drive for) and while I don't have problems with other games, there might be something that affects my generation's hardware. It doesn't seem to happen to everybody, but there are enough complaints out there to make me think it's more than JUST my hardware. The older Xbox could very well be part of the problem.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
The hate for Madden was never because the games were BAD, its because they're all basically the same game. I will admit that according to what I've heard, Madden 11 does implement some neat changes, but that doesn't excuse 10 games and 10 years of using a magic vacuum to suck up consumer's money.

The hate is the IDEA of Madden, not the games themselves. I guess the point is, any Madden game was good, but that doesn't mean you can re-release it every damn year.

RangerSERE

May 14, 2010
Everyone's gripes about madden are borderline retarded, but hey everyone has an opinion now a days. Only game I have been looking forward to (on a console) this year.

Oh yes, ESPN did an awesome story on the franchise:

Espn.com article [http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=100805/madden]

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
crystalsnow said:
The hate is the IDEA of Madden, not the games themselves. I guess the point is, any Madden game was good, but that doesn't mean you can re-release it every damn year.
While the argument does have some merit, each iteration improves on some things every year. The people that buy it on a yearly basis probably want it because it is a roster update and they are okay with that. Personally, the last Madden I bought was 2007 (and 2003 before that). The improvements in those four years make it a fantastic sequel more than a roster update. No one is telling you to buy it every year so enjoy one for a few years if you don't mind playing with outdated teams.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Wow, now I'm somewhat interested in buying a console.

Edit: Wait is the PS2 version of it basically the same with shittier graphics?

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Rayjay06 said:
crystalsnow said:
While the argument does have some merit, each iteration improves on some things every year. The people that buy it on a yearly basis probably want it because it is a roster update and they are okay with that. Personally, the last Madden I bought was 2007 (and 2003 before that). The improvements in those four years make it a fantastic sequel more than a roster update. No one is telling you to buy it every year so enjoy one for a few years if you don't mind playing with outdated teams.
I'm going to have to agree with him here. Madden fans in general (there are always exceptions) are actually pretty casual gamers. They are on average a bit older. I'm 30 and most the people I know that are big Madden fans are around my age or older. In general they only buy a few games a year, (Madden, maybe another sports title and possibly a fps shooter like Call of Duty or Halo) and they play it all year long, so even the small changes are generally welcome. Being a bit older and usually in more steady income situations they have the discretionary funds that $60 bucks for the game every year isn't that big of deal.

Combine that with the fact many loyal Madden fans have a favorite team and follow them more closely than they did in their younger days, the up to date rosters mean that much more. Playing without their new big free agent signings and impact rookies just isn't as fun.

If I remember right, the general age on this forum is something like 17-22. When I was that age, I loved Madden, but I didn't have the time to follow the NFL close enough to care (and my team stunk...really, really stunk). Plus the price tag was a big chunk of change when money was harder to come by.

I do wish Madden had and NFL licensed competitor again as I think that would drive the quality up even faster, but the yearly releases don't bother me. I don't disagree with those that hate it though, I just think in general they may not be the target audience for the yearly release.

CynicalMarcus

Jul 27, 2010
John Funk said:
leviticusd said:

To stick up for my buddy Jason (but with much less fervor) I do agree that this game really isn't that streamlined. Most of the menus could have been cut down or switched around for ease of access, and with the technology that most devs have at their fingertips, the visual presentation could have been better as well.

However, I think the big issue that Jason didn't touch on was that it doesn't help if you have your dev team working on an MMA game at the same time (that they have no business making considering EA Canada is the better pick) that you're working on THE football game everyone plays. I personally think that the game suffers for it.

Then again, "I personally think" is the key phrase here. It's just an opinion, and those corporate cash-in complaints and such really are best left to editorials. When reviewing a game, the impression I've always been given is that you review the game itself, not the B.S. surrounding it so you can do your best to stay unbiased. Well, in a written review anyway. Video reviews are a different beast, and they tend to be more of a mix between editorial and review than anything.

Your review was well written from a grammatical standpoint, and you do a solid job of giving your perspective, but I don't think many will agree.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Well after reading your review John, I got a couple of things to say. First, it was a well written review and you did a good job giving your opinion, but I don't agree with you at all. This has to be the worst Madden game, no worst football game I have played in a long time. If you truly like this game, and feel that its the best football game out there, then more power to you. This is one game I will warn everyone that I can to stay away from.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
tjspeirs said:

...what?!

Well it would seem that me and Lordkat have been having this same problem. Almost every game I have played so far this would happen.
Then again, maybe me and him just were unlucky enough to get bad copies of the game? I mean every review I have read of this game is telling me that nothing like this could ever happen, because this is the best football game ever.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
MrSimony said:
I need to stick my nose into this, because I can NOT allow more people wasting their money on this piece of lazy-ass horse shit, and if I can sway one person I'll know I've done my job.

First, you have ignored ALL statements about the graphics. They're lazy, really fucking lazy. The field looks like shit, the players look like shit, and the crowd looks like, guess what? Shit. Plus, the titantron shows everything that happens onscreen, including arrows and HUD.

GameFlow? It almost seems like something for players that don't like football. Which is FUCKING POINTLESS since people who don't like football have no fucking excuse to play this game.

Nothing is realistic to the point, the music is cheap and generic, the game is buggy as hell, and reactions from the players and commentators are bullcock. I cannot believe anybody, football fan or not, can enjoy this shitfest. You either didn't play the fucking game properly, or you suck EA's big blue elephant cock.

Oh, and PS, this isn't just some random person's opinion or anything, I'm currently in an IRC chat, who shared these opinions with me, and I put them all into a nice pile. Have fun, shitfuck.
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
jp201 said:
Looks like someone is upset about their ban in an earlier post here. (I will assume that's you)

I haven't picked it up yet but this poster clearly influenced me to buy the game. Thank you
Or it could be a LordKaT fan who just saw the video he posted. But even if it is him, I don't particularly blame him, even if he is being a bit too hostile about it. He's genuinely pissed about paying 60$ for this game. I am too honestly. And I went ahead and bought it because of this review. Well, pissed is probably too harsh, since I don't really care about a lousy sixty bucks, but the fact that the money goes to a company that made a game I find so infuriatingly bad... I probably shouldn't dwell on it too much, otherwise I'll start foaming at the mouth.

But yeah, after playing the game, I have a hard time believing Funk likes Football, ever played a football game, or hasn't been paid off. The game is simply that bad. I'd recommend finding LordKaT's video on it before you buy it, as it sums up a good portion of the problems. Mind you, it doesn't touch on all the problems, which says a lot.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
jp201 said:

Oh, you see a new account, and you automatically assume it's the other guy? I'm pretty sure a permaban also means an IP ban. And he didn't have an argument. Saying you want to kill someone is not an argument.

Buy the fucking game. Go the fuck ahead. Suck on the cock of EA and Madden. Have fun with your buggy shit.

Unlike the other poster, I do enjoy things on The Escapist, I just never made an account. After buying this and playing it, and hearing about your score, I thought no. No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. I don't care if people like you buy it, I care if unsuspecting football fans buy it. EA has turned NFL games into a monopoly, and they think they can charge full price for some shit they churned out at the last minute? You may as well compare the game to E.T.

I want my sixty dollars back. I want them to fix this game. I want the NFL to not renew the contract when it nexts expires. I want EA Sports to stop fucking shit up.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
infinity_turtles said:
jp201 said:

Or it could be a LordKaT fan who just saw the video he posted. But even if it is him, I don't particularly blame him, even if he is being a bit too hostile about it. He's genuinely pissed about paying 60$ for this game. I am too honestly. And I went ahead and bought it because of this review. Well, pissed is probably too harsh, since I don't really care about a lousy sixty bucks, but the fact that the money goes to a company that made a game I find so infuriatingly bad... I probably shouldn't dwell on it too much, otherwise I'll start foaming at the mouth.

But yeah, after playing the game, I have a hard time believing Funk likes Football, ever played a football game, or hasn't been paid off. The game is simply that bad. I'd recommend finding LordKaT's video on it before you buy it, as it sums up a good portion of the problems. Mind you, it doesn't touch on all the problems, which says a lot.
About that video of lordkat's you mentioned, I found it. That video sums up exactly how I feel about this game. I couldn't agree more with the guy, I also recomend that you watch this guy's vid, even if you don't agree with him he brings up a lot stuff that's wrong with the game.

ubeenpaidoffbro

Aug 18, 2010
jp201 said:

LordKat is a reviewer and publisher of a video series, and he just posted a video about his complaints on this game. That's just one of his fans, I'm sure. Also, I would think you wasting $60 of your money on something you won't enjoy would make someone very happy if they didn't like you.Just saying.

I watched LordKat play a total of probably 6 hours of this game over Ustream, and I can concur that this game is horribly broken. He had one game where it was raining, and he ended up with about 6 injuries in one game. One of which included a player breaking BOTH of his legs; who miraculously recovered and was ready for play by NEXT WEEK.

The UI is jacked up, the graphics look like they belong on the PS2, you can run THROUGH the stadium, the game freezes, there are a total of about 3 different fans in the stadium, the "my skill level" option is broken and goes from way too easy to insanely difficult before leveling out again, the injury system is wacked out, the players and coaches look nothing like their real-life counterparts, and there's a whole list of other things wrong in this game that I won't even get into.

And before anyone says anything about NFL2k and tries to write off comments as "well he's just a crazy NFL2k fan....", I've never played NFL2k. I have only played Madden football games and the NFL blitz on N64.

Honestly, the makers of madden don't care anymore. They have a monopoly on the NFL franchise, they can turn out whatever quality they want, and it doesn't matter. If you want NFL, you have to choose between their game and nothing.

If this is a 5-star game, I suggest buying a copy of Shaq-Fu or Bebe's Kids. I'm sure you'll find hours of enjoyment there, too.

Alfougin

Aug 18, 2010
I readily admit to not having played this game and to having no real interest in sports myself. However, I know those who do not share either of these qualities with myself. My friends who are football and Madden fans never used the gameflow feature because it suggests ludicrous plays that would not be effective in the given situation. The majority who play Madden are those who know what plays are counters for others, what style of playbook teams utilize, making gameflow an unwanted addition that solely clutters the menu. In the case of those new to Madden, it removes the process of choosing your own plays and developing your own style. I would call it akin to the Auto-Ability choice in Final Fantasy 13. It is useful to some, able to get you through the game, and may appear to streamline it, but rarely the best solution to the problem you are faced with.

oO Apathy oO

Aug 18, 2010
I have to say..I couldn't agree with LordKat's video more. This game is a slap in the face to anyone who not only considers themselves a gamer but to anyone who has played a Madden game before. I have never, in my life, played a version of Madden that actually looked worse than the previous years incarnation. The MOCAP in this game is nothing short of pathetic and the player models look absolutely terrible! In regards to the game play: The running game has been stripped down to its bare bones (Why in the world would you remove the sprint button?!)..The new momentum running feature is broken simply due to the fact that as SOON as a player makes a cut or attempts to juke, all momentum disappears and you're left trying to virtually WALK up field. Last I checked people were able to make lateral movements while keeping most of their forward momentum....As far as the passing game goes: Well, that's just it...it DOESN'T! Gone are the days of threading the ball in between two defenders with accuracy and the combination of the left thumbstick pointed towards the appropriate area (either behind, above, over the shoulder or in the chest of the receiver) and the proper press of the pass button (B or O -tap for a lob or press and hold for a bullet). So not only is running the ball as pseudo as it can get, the passing game is about as inaccurate and undependable as Alex Smith, down by 7 in the 4th quarter, under pressure while going deep on 3rd and long from the opponents 30. EA and any reviewer(s) / website / blogger etc...should be ashamed of themselves for putting out and supporting such an obvious cash in and half assed attempt...

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
jp201 said:
MrSimony said:
I need to stick my nose into this, because I can NOT allow more people wasting their money on this piece of lazy-ass horse shit, and if I can sway one person I'll know I've done my job.

First, you have ignored ALL statements about the graphics. They're lazy, really fucking lazy. The field looks like shit, the players look like shit, and the crowd looks like, guess what? Shit. Plus, the titantron shows everything that happens onscreen, including arrows and HUD.

GameFlow? It almost seems like something for players that don't like football. Which is FUCKING POINTLESS since people who don't like football have no fucking excuse to play this game.

Nothing is realistic to the point, the music is cheap and generic, the game is buggy as hell, and reactions from the players and commentators are bullcock. I cannot believe anybody, football fan or not, can enjoy this shitfest. You either didn't play the fucking game properly, or you suck EA's big blue elephant cock.

Oh, and PS, this isn't just some random person's opinion or anything, I'm currently in an IRC chat, who shared these opinions with me, and I put them all into a nice pile. Have fun, shitfuck.

Assume makes an Ass out of u and me.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
"OMG. THIS GAME IS LIKE THE SAME EVERY YEAR AND BOO FUCKING HOO I AM A CORE BABY AND A CRYBABY. HA. HA. HA. SEE WHAT I DID THERE? I'M A LITTLE WHINY *****."

That's what I read from a lot of people here. Go play your generic FPS, which are all the same. And they're not even limited to one or three franchises. Every god damn FPS is the same. Every RTS is basically the same.

And people are hating because a sports game 'doesn't seem to change'. What the fuck is there to change? It's not like the fucking framework of the sport changes every year. When dealing with sportsgames it's not about innovation, it's about improvement. Go gobble a cock.

Anyway. Not a fan of American Handegg, but as a fan of the FIFA series, this kind of misplaced hatred gets on my nerves.

All the power to John "Can't Fake The" Funk for enjoying this game, though!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CynicalMarcus said:
John Funk said:
leviticusd said:

To stick up for my buddy Jason (but with much less fervor) I do agree that this game really isn't that streamlined. Most of the menus could have been cut down or switched around for ease of access, and with the technology that most devs have at their fingertips, the visual presentation could have been better as well.

However, I think the big issue that Jason didn't touch on was that it doesn't help if you have your dev team working on an MMA game at the same time (that they have no business making considering EA Canada is the better pick) that you're working on THE football game everyone plays. I personally think that the game suffers for it.

Then again, "I personally think" is the key phrase here. It's just an opinion, and those corporate cash-in complaints and such really are best left to editorials. When reviewing a game, the impression I've always been given is that you review the game itself, not the B.S. surrounding it so you can do your best to stay unbiased. Well, in a written review anyway. Video reviews are a different beast, and they tend to be more of a mix between editorial and review than anything.

Your review was well written from a grammatical standpoint, and you do a solid job of giving your perspective, but I don't think many will agree.
When we review a game, our job is to review the game that we have in front of us. Not drama surrounding the dev team, not who is making it, not even other games coming out at the same time. I plunked down $60 for the game to review it, I need to give a judgment call.

I gave the game a fair call as I saw it after a weekend of solid play, and anything surrounding the MMA game is really irrelevant.

MrSimony said:

How wonderful that you came here from an echo chamber that reaffirms your views, because I've had the complete opposite reaction. Protip: Learn how to debate like an actual person instead of a rage-filled pre-teen and you might have a point. Criticism is welcome, flaming will get you a boot to the rear.

infinity_turtles said:
jp201 said:

Yes, because I haven't directly played three football games this year (one of which was by EA Tiburon...?) and found this the best of the three. Or haven't actually PLAYED football for seven years in my life ;)

I review the experience I have with a game, and it was bar none the most fun I've had with a football game since playing NCAA with my buddies in college. If this isn't your experience with the game, then I'm sorry, but I can't base my review off of what someone else had happen to them; in what universe is that fair?

I found Madden NFL 11 more than worth my $60, which was something I was not expecting.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The number of 1 post users signing up and supporting someone who got his arse (rightly) banned has raised red flags to me.

Not that I care about American Faux Rugby, anyway. Why the hell should play stop just because I got tackled? [/troll]

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
From what I've seen there must be some bad copies of the game going out or people are in a massive QQ about having to shove another $60 into a madden 11 game in order to continue playing online with friends/other people.

To many first post accounts made at same time to trust anything that person has said.

I'll trust Funk over you sorry

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
John Funk said:
The Superstar mode - where you create a rookie player and make them into a legend - isn't as fun as it could be.
It never is. The only positive experience I've had with the career modes of EA's Football titles would be the Campus Legend mode in NCAA 07 for the Original Xbox. Mostly because they still let you call the plays, manage the team, change players, and set the camera to a normal game perspective. Oh, and listening to Lee and Kirk announce that my player broke the NCAA sack record my senior year was pretty awesome. It felt like you were still playing a game of NCAA 07, but you had a personal stake in one of the players on that field. The more recent games feel more like a game of NCAA with the majority of the features ripped out.

Now I can understand them taking away the team management and play calling abilities to keep it 'realistic'. But they should still let you have the option to allow those features when you start a career. Yeah, people can abuse it, but it is their game. If they want to mess around with it, let them. The purists will still play it straight. Hell I benched myself my freshman year, simply because I couldn't justify to myself starting a true freshman over Paul Posluszny and Dan Connor.

Another big gripe I have with the career modes is the immersion factor, and presentation. During normal games, it's presented as a live broadcast with different camera angles, and color commentary. Actually, this is probably the reason I don't like not having the ability to call plays or manage the team. During career mode games, they ditch the commentary and team management, but keep everything else. This totally breaks the immersion, because right off the bat, it just feels the same but off in some way.

If they're going to present it as you being on the field, they have to do it right. First off, they need to tweak the camera. Put the camera in the huddle between plays. Don't have it cut around the stadium like a broadcast. Keep it near your player. Have the coordinators replace the announcers for between-play dialogue. Give more voice to the players on your team. Have them congratulate you for big plays, and get audibly fired up. Cut to the locker room for half time, and before big playoff or rivalry games. Things like that. Just make it more immersive.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
As an example of how not to present a different view, this thread delivers. Inverse barometers are tricky instruments, but this one seems pretty clearly marked.

Me and Funk disagree more than we agree, but I would never put the black spot on him. You can think he's woolly headed, narrow minded, or bass-ackwards (you'd be 1/3 right, but I'm not saying which), but none of those seem worthy of a carelessly labeled "go die" pseudo-joke.

Actually, let me attempt some reverse magic:

Hey, Funk! Your Madden review affects me none! WHY DON'T YOU WALK INTO A CORNER AND LIVE!!!

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
If you don't like American Football (which come on is the real football) then your not gonna like this game. Sure there are a few complaints like superstar mode could be done a lot better but overall I would give it a 4/5. Very well done but still some room for improvement.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
jp201 said:
If you don't like American Football (which come on is the real football)
Oh no it's not! It's just a bad copy of rugby, which in turn is a deviation of association football (which is probably the closest we get to *actual* ye olde Middle Ages football were it not for the lack of blunt weaponry.)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The only thing I could do while watching my buddy play this (I don't have the first clue about playing Football Sims, so all I could was watch) is laugh at the Clone Army Crowd.
It's like there's some unseen, off-camera man holding up cue cards on the jumbotron:
"Blue Shirts: Jump up and dance!"
"Now...Green Shirts: Boo!"
"Blue Shirts: Sit and shake your arms!"

They all perform the same action at the same time. It's a riot.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm...I'm going to actually try this out.

TO THE DEMOS!
So I'm not the only one with this independent thought!

Ah who am I kidding I'll never get around to this when there are far more other games out there I wanna try out ;).

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
This is by far the greatest thread I've ever read. One guy who failed physics desperately trying to be noticed after making as many hotmail accounts as he could think of.

Funk, that was an excellent review. I usually never agree with you, but after actually playing the game, it's the best the series has ever been.

Shame it suffers from Alpha Protocol syndrome - legions of people (or in this case, a couple) who never played the game screaming about how terrible it is.

MrFarquar

Mar 29, 2010
might get this seasons update, iv missed the last few so this might really bring a feel of NEW to the game.. =]

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
JEBWrench said:
This is by far the greatest thread I've ever read. One guy who failed physics desperately trying to be noticed after making as many hotmail accounts as he could think of.

Funk, that was an excellent review. I usually never agree with you, but after actually playing the game, it's the best the series has ever been.

Shame it suffers from Alpha Protocol syndrome - legions of people (or in this case, a couple) who never played the game screaming about how terrible it is.
QFT; every SINGLE part of your post QFT

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
John Funk said:

It's really not just a yearly roster update.

Read Full Article
Funk, I haven't played since 08. Can you take your custom made play books online and onto franchise mode? You couldn't on 08 if I remember correctly. It really bugged me.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Spinozaad said:
And people are hating because a sports game 'doesn't seem to change'. What the fuck is there to change? It's not like the fucking framework of the sport changes every year. When dealing with sportsgames it's not about innovation, it's about improvement. Go gobble a cock.
No, I'm hating on it because of it's a huge ass backslide. I know football games don't innovate. They improve. I'm fine with that. Hell, I'd be fine with this game if it was just a roster update from last year. But it isn't. It's significantly worse than last year's game. Hence the problem.

John Funk said:
I suppose there isn't much else to say then, because with glaring flaws with the injury system, the way rain turns every match into a fumble contest, gameflow calling the most idiotic plays imaginable, players running through the stadium, horrible menu systems, long loading times where there should be none(Changing position in player creation for starters), my skill difficulty setting jumping around, clipping sounds, and more things that weren't even mentioned, I find it hard to believe this review can be both genuine and informed.

JEBWrench said:

LordKaT is a member of Channel Awesome from Thatguywiththeglasses. He also has a lot of fans, pretty much having two-hundred or so people watching his UStream at all times. He posted a video ranting on Madden, and mentioned John Funk and The Escapist. It's reasonable to assume some of his fans may have registered to complain.

Also, I played the game. I also played the previous few Madden games. I like them. I don't like this one. It's terrible. *edit* Oh, and I liked Alpha Protocol.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
infinity_turtles said:
Spinozaad said:
No, I'm hating on it because of it's a huge ass backslide. I know football games don't innovate. They improve. I'm fine with that. Hell, I'd be fine with this game if it was just a roster update from last year. But it isn't. It's significantly worse than last year's game. Hence the problem.

John Funk said:
I suppose there isn't much else to say then, because with glaring flaws with the injury system, the way rain turns every match into a fumble contest, gameflow calling the most idiotic plays imaginable, players running through the stadium, horrible menu systems, long loading times where there should be none(Changing position in player creation for starters), my skill difficulty setting jumping around, clipping sounds, and more things that weren't even mentioned, I find it hard to believe this review can be both genuine and informed.

JEBWrench said:

LordKaT is a member of Channel Awesome from Thatguywiththeglasses. He also has a lot of fans, pretty much having two-hundred or so people watching his UStream at all times. He posted a video ranting on Madden, and mentioned John Funk and The Escapist. It's reasonable to assume some of his fans may have registered to complain.

Also, I played the game. I also played the previous few Madden games. I like them. I don't like this one. It's terrible. *edit* Oh, and I liked Alpha Protocol.
And I played the game for a weekend and never encountered any of those issues. Do you expect me to review a game based on an experience I never had? Do you expect me to just read forum complaints and go "Oh, I must not have had the right experience"?

And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video blogger thinks. I played the game, I had my experiences as a fan of football and someone who played three football games to review this summer, and I stand by my review exactly as written. (And just now looking at some other professional reviews, I'm not alone).

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
John Funk said:
And I played the game for a weekend and never encountered any of those issues. Do you expect me to review a game based on an experience I never had? Do you expect me to just read forum complaints and go "Oh, I must not have had the right experience"?

And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video streamer thinks. I played the game, I had my experiences as a fan of football and someone who played three football games to review this summer, and I stand by my review exactly as written. (And just now looking at some other professional reviews, I'm not alone).
Since we both seem to be repeating ourselves, I'll just clarify that I meant I found it hard to believe that after playing the game all weekend like you say, you didn't run into any of these issues. And I wasn't telling who LordKaT was due to anything you said. It was in response to people accusing the one shot posters of being him.

Insaneiac

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk? You are everything I will aspire to never be like when I get into game reviewing. I mean seriously. Were you drunk? Were you stoned? Were you bribed? Did they hold your family hostage? Did you pay someone to write this? Was this a trial you had to undertake to earn greater power? Did this simply fall into your lap from a parallel dimension and you thought "Cool! More time to play better games."? Seriously, help me out here. Call it optimism that I don't really believe anyone can be this blind.

You did get one thing right. This isn't a yearly roster update. It's the biggest step backwards I've ever seen a long standing franchise take. It's an insult to the fans of Madden, especially ones that are also true blue fans of the NFL. The only thing missing is John Madden himself laughing at you for being stupid enough to buy this corporate cash-in.

And maybe if I hadn't already turned my copy back in and got a credit off of on a good game (Used copy of Red Dead Redemption. Guess who didn't have to pay $10 to start playing that online?) I might have done a counter review to this one, showcasing how every positive point you've made is either a bold faced lie or completely ignores the multitude of negatives that invalidate it.

The only thing worse than this game was this review. Which in itself is an accomplishment so...congratulations.

CAfan

Aug 18, 2010
John Funk said:
And sorry, you'll forgive me for not really caring what some video blogger thinks.
He certainly didn't show you any respect, but you can at least have some respect on your end though.

He is a part of thatguywiththeglasses.com which is almost as popular as Escapist Magazine:

His personal website is almost as popular as Warcry:

And he has nearly ten times the twitter followers as you do. Its also already been mentioned that he has somewhere between 200-500 people watching him on his ustream at live.lordkat.com 24/7, even while he sleeps!

Not that popularity has anything to do with who's right, I just think it would be wise not to treat others like lowly insignificant web bloggers when they actually have a large following and represent a lot of people.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Spinozaad said:
Good point...

...Except that a vast majority of the complaints were indeed over the quality of the actual game and barely any that panned the games innovation. Just watch LordKaT's video. Even though I never played the game before and I think he was out of line for calling Funk out for having his own opinion, his complaints were based on the quality and not on the innovation. As for the people who are complaining about innovation, they are admittedly missing the point of sports games. Though, you have to admit having a new game in the same series for a year over nearly 20 years is just sad, regardless of genre. Plus, just because a game is based on a sport, it doesn't mean they can't try something new.

Alfougin

Aug 18, 2010
Mr. Funk, simply going by the fact that a Madden game is getting good reviews is not the wisest of ideas to defend your position. Reviews of franchises as big as Madden tend to be some of the most corrupt and brown-nosed of written or spoken considerations. Especially when said franchise has a monopoly on a particular market, which regardless of how many football games are made in a year Madden does have a monopoly on players. As for a counter to your review itself, upon viewing more of this game I cannot fathom how anyone could say it has decent graphics when compared to the majority of games currently on the market for the 360 or PS3. Its textures look like they belong in the last generation of consoles to be considered decent and the graphics as a whole fail to compare to the better looking games on the previous consoles. If all else fails, stating this game looks good or faithfully renders everything (I have heard it is using one or two stadiums that no longer exist) does put your personal credibility into question.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
My oh my, aren't we having LordKat followers on these forums? I know him from "Until we Win" videos on the most challenging video games of the NES era.

But I'll have to agree with LordKat. It's the same series since John Madden got his game debut and the "If ain't broke, don't fix it" formula of Madden seems to work. And yes, Madden has been bashed by all sides of gamers, much more hatred than jRPGs.

But threatening or wanting a reviewer to die kinda crosses the line though.

TarkXT

Sep 7, 2009
I think part of this massive dichotomy stems from two things.

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.

2. LordKat on the other hand went to the store, plunked down 60$ and played it over his livestream. Not just seasonal, but also numerous multiplayer games with other TGWTG contributors including Noah Antwiler. Over the same course of time.

The difference here is that Mr. Funk sadly didn't have 200-800 witnesses watching him play the game at differing points of the day. And from what I've heard and seen he CONTINUES to play the game over livestream.

Ultimately both had differing opinions. However the biggest difference, and the one that had likely enraged Jason the most, was that Mr. Funk is a Professional Writer and Reviewer. Meaning that in his, and mine for that matter, mind he should have been absolutely truthful and fair. Instead we have a shining review for a game that was technically rushed, unpolished, difficult to handle, and an insult to the system it belongs to. When LordKAt does a review only a few hundred people at most will see it. However, Mr. Funk's short article will get thousands of views. Thousands of people will be influenced by that weekend of play that only he has seen. So, from that point of view I can see where one might feel a great injustice has been wrought.

Now, as to whether or not Mr. Funk got lucky or not in my mind that doesn't matter. If differing regions or stores are getting differing qualities of game that means quite simply the manufacturing and coding are shoddy and terrible. Just because your crappy car has never exploded while ten others have doesn't make that a generally safe car. Also saying that you drove even crappier cars within the past year doesn't really help your argument. Being the king of the poo still makes you a big pile of poo.

In the end Mr. Bullara overreacted. Poor guy does have something of a temper. But most if not all his points are right and are even backed up with eyewitness testimony and recordings. And his fans are rushing to his defense not only because they're his fans but because they are witnesses to what they feel is a great misstep.

And thus we come to the crux of the issue We want to believe Mr. Funk because he is a professional and is paid to be honest. However that job is made all the more difficult if he gives a good review when hundreds of others witnessed the actual work in progress for playing and reviewing a game that found obvious and glaring flaws in quality. Add to the fact that the man is not about to bring a camera into his living room and show the world how he plays madden in his underpants and it adds a whole new level of difficulty to the problem. And let's not forget that little thing called ad revenue. I can't sa for certain where the majority of the Escapists funds come from but LordKat's money comes purely through the number of views he has and merchandise he sells. He has no control over the ads that show up over Blip whereas The Escapist has to attract advertisers. So it makes one wonder whether or not reviewers are forced to smile and bear it to ensure they can pay this months rent. And with that knowledge in the hands of the readers it makes the job still more difficult.

Wow that was long. I'm going to go back to bed now.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
You guys remember that time when the Escapist didn't have a star rating system? What terrible and confusing times those were. Now there is no more confusion!

Everyone should take a step back though. What we have here is a miscommunication between two people who really should be on the same team.

As much as Team LordKat would like to believe, Funk was not paid off and this is not some kind of unspoken breach in gaming critique.
As much as Team Funk would like to believe, LordKat is not a vile creature, even though he and his fanbase have become pretty heated.

These two people have very different perspectives and methods of reviewing a game and LordKat was not happy with what he saw in John Funk's review, LordKat then quickly made a brash response over many different mediums (comments, Twitter, videos on his website) that involved criticizing Funk as a person and Escapist Magazine as a whole. It was completely inappropriate, and this whole fight is hurting everyone involved, especially fans of both parties, The Guy With The Glasses, and Escapist Magazine.

This game is a game - it is allowed to be taken differently by different people. Both sides (Funk and LordKat) have very distinct and different claims to the game and their reviews, so little else needs to be said.

Finally, yes, new people have joined the forums just to comment on this issue - this does not make the trolls, this makes them INSPIRED, and I'd like to welcome them as they bring new perspectives that we may have not seen previously in this thread or forum.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.
then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:
then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TarkXT said:

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.
I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :p

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
John Funk said:
tjspeirs said:

...what?!

See, that's funny, because I played the game all weekend and never saw a thing like that. The worst that happened was a one-in-a-million glitch where a field goal hit an upright and didn't go in, but the announcers acted like it did.

So, I guess it's fair to say that this one experience isn't anywhere near norm :)

LordKaT said:
Freebird. said:

Yes, because my experiences with a game fail to mirror your preconceived notions, and because I found Madden 11 to be the most streamlined and best-playing football game I'd ever touched, this clearly means I am phenomenally stupid and have not been spending the last two years of my life learning how to judge a game on its own merits and on my own experiences.

Yeah, I think you need to take a time out. :)
Good on ya funk. I can't believe jason from that guy with the glassess actually talked to you like that. I would assume he would at least have the minimum of respect to someone who obviously reviews games professionally. He acted like a total game nerd.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Whoops double post sorry about that.

Man dude what a hubub that was. Aren't we talking about madden? Do any of our opinions really matter? I mean any true football fan will buy this game and never think to look at any review. We look at these reviews because were gamers and gamers do that. But the target audience of these games. Aren't gamers! I have an entire family that is way into sports and sports games and all the madden games they've played i've never heard them complain about these things. Mostly because they don't care.

John funk reviewed the game and he reviewed it based on what he learned. End of story. Any third party influencing his decision would be wrong.

Mr. Lordkat got a different experience than him. A bad one but that doesn't excuse him for not using the gentlemanly conduct.

At this point if your really upset that madden keeps doing this then stop buying madden. Hit the madden forums(they have one right?) and voice your opinion there. Also return your game to gamestop and support other football games. Like say backbreaker. Not a better game but if you pour money into them you could get a new competitor to madden.

I am honestly proud of John Funk that he was able to be a pro even when people are breathing down his neck. The pride of the escapist he is.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Armageddonrose said:
*Advertising*
oO Apathy oO said:
*nerdrage*
MrSimony said:
*potty mouth*
LordKat said:
*death threats*
Wow. You people do realize that it is possible for a person to have a different experience than others, right? I mean, I know the concept is foreign to most of you but try to keep up; some people actually don't think like you! I know it sounds crazy, but it's true! There are people out there among the planet's 6 billion inhabitants that have different tastes than you.

vikeif said:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?

psychosin

Aug 19, 2010
I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
psychosin said:
I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.
The guy was not banned for disagreeing, as you can see by this thread other people disagree and that's perfectly fine.

Wishing death upon staff is a bit of a no-no :) It's very against our forum policies, even in jest, and that was why he was banned.

psychosin

Aug 19, 2010
I can accept that sir, as I can appreciate your years of game reviewing and journalism. It is a shame that death threats were used as usually the guy seems totally on the level, I guess seeing a review of a game series that he feels the latest entry was the death knell of it, and yet you enjoyed a lot really got to him, something I can understand as I still don't get why all the hatred of mirror's edge myself, sure its glitched and not the longest game in the world but ive played worse. Hell pimp my ride the game comes to mind.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
vikeif said:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.
Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?
consider that ThatGuyWithTheGlasses is a name referring to Doug himself I would think that most poeple go to TWTG to see his stuff, and considering almost ever TGWTG contributor has their own website (lordkat, spoony, cinemasnob, etc.) and that you can just go to their blip account directly and watch their movies as well, I would think that yeah Doug is the reason most peeps flock there.

Unlike here where Yahtzee is only employed to do entertaining little videos that you can only see here and here alone. Hell, LRR had it's own site but most of their work can on be viewed here and if you go to their site it shows a embed player linked to here.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
John Funk said:
TarkXT said:

I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :p

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.
well ya got me on the sports games thing, like hell if I'ma drop $60 buck on any sports game (good or bad.) till they bring back Blitz 2000. I'm not even really picking sides I'm just sick of this fucking crusader bullshit that people pull all the time in this forum, that with a head cold makes me very bitchy. But I watch your and Lordkat reveiws, I still don't see anything that merit this to be 60 bucks, I have XBLA titles that sound funner really, but that's my own opinion.

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)
First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.
And I will say sorry for appearing to be a fanboy. Honestly, had LordKat not intervened, this thread would be probably ten posts long, containing mostly "meh", "that's all right I guess" and "why's he picking up the ball?" and it'd all be forgotten by Friday.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Based on his second post in this thread, he didn't actually mean that. He meant it both as a joke and to emphasize the fact that he couldn't believe such a glowing review could be legit. His hostility is part of his comedic style. It doesn't translate into text very we.... at all.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
infinity_turtles said:
Delusibeta said:
vikeif said:
Delusibeta said:

Based on his second post in this thread, he didn't actually mean that. He meant it both as a joke and to emphasize the fact that he couldn't believe such a glowing review could be legit. His hostility is part of his comedic style. It doesn't translate into text very we.... at all.
Ultimately, for people who haven't heard of him (e.g. me.) then all it does as come off as him being a jerk. You can't tell sarcasm on the internet, and so on and so forth.

cloudskyff7

Sep 1, 2009
I agree with Lordkat.

John Funk, I hope you watch his rant about the game and at least consider an update on this game. This game is very buggy. Just now I heard the announcer say. 'The New York Titans and the Cincinnati Cowboys.'

I wanted to play this game with friends / relatives, that's why I bought this game. But, man, this game has a lot of serious problems (BtW, ps3 version).
I hadn't had the game 'freeze' on me, but some of the screens, like pause, and menu features take a lot of time to load - like 3-5 minutes. WtF is wrong with this game?

John Funk, I know you were blown away by the GameFlow mechanic. But that feature is very far from perfect. Even after tweaking, it still gives stupid plays about 50% of the time.

If the game is so streamline and 'fast', why does it take forever to select another play? Why do I have to watch two different replays before the option to select a play appears. All I end up doing is mashing the X button all the time to skip the worthless ads and replays.

I've played better Madden games. I just hope I can get my $'s worth out of this thing with online play w/friends.

This game didn't go through enough testing and deserves a more critical review than John Funk's.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
You're saying this episode of Madden couldn't be a dlc?

I'm impressed.

And yes, schadenfreude is one of my most favorite delicacies.

reeseu60

Aug 22, 2010
are u crazy? this is the worst madden of all time! the defence is ridiculously hard this year. sure i love all the new features, but this year theres no good d. i just got done with a game online and the final was 77-73 with jets and titans.....really...?last year i let up 9 pts a game and scored 31 this year i let up 38 a game and score 56..... in zone the defence stands there and in man they get blown off the ball. zone should be ;like last year. last year on a 3rd in 10 i would run cover 4 and stop them easy. when i knew it was a pass i used cover 3. this year those r the 2 worst defensive plays....i dont think ive ever played a worst madden. the features are amazing and so are the graphics lkike the new kicking system is awsome to me. but fix how easy ofence is and how hard defence is.all u gotta do is mrun 4 verticals and throw it to the tight end on the post. i really hope the next madden isnt this terrible

mkeyckor

Sep 7, 2008
How can you HONESTLY rate this game as a 10/10? Like, really? REALLY? I have a problem with people who rate this game a 10 because a lot of gamers go out looking at reviews to determine whether or not it warrants a purchase. The only real reason I could see someone rating this game as a 10 is because this is the only (cringes to type this) "real football game" on the market thanks to EA exclusivity rights. Rating this game 10/10 is irresponsible writing.

Jimi13

Aug 27, 2010
A perfect 10 out of 10??? You have got to be kidding me? How can a football game that can't even implement tackling correctly be a perfect 10? There are so many animation glitches and even with Gus Johnson to liven things up, he commentary is botched and still lacking what most sports games offer there. You have got to be dumb, deaf & blind or EA paid for this review. I'm completely baffled.

Lotoes

May 17, 2010
LordKaT said:
Freebird. said:

Dear John Funk of Escapist Magazine,

No. Just stop. LordKaT is a well respected member of the internet/game critic community. I assure you that you are, in fact, so very god damn wrong when it comes to Madden 11. I have played nearly every Madden game made, long before you even took an interest in the franchise. You sir, are a corporate sellout, who was quite obviously paid for his opinion. Other than Yahtzee, pretty much everyone at Escapist is out of their minds when it comes to well founded criticism. Explain to me how you can find the commentary oh so riveting when it is so badly recorded and cut into game play. Why do the fields have no rendering whatsoever and support no realistic damage when played on like in reality? Why are the thousands of fans in the stands rendered from the same 3 polygon patterns that all do the EXACT same actions at the EXACT same time? Why is the challenge system so broken? I make a play and the defense is clearly in error, yet the wondrous mechanics of Madden 11 thought that I was not challenging the clearly foul play, but rather that I thought the defense was off sides. Are you shitting me John Funk of Escapist Magazine? Are you really?