Review: Mass Effect 2

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Want to save the universe? Hope you're ready to get your hands dirty.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG part of combat it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with. Now it sounds like just a shooter.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Noooo...i just bought STO! dont have time for this and that!...

Guess ill just have to wait till its $30 like the last game ._.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Sounds good, i really can't wait much longer for this game! :D
and yeah the video doesn't work : /

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG a ton it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with.

Will I miss too much by having ignored the really boring side quests of ME1 for my ME1 transfer data?
I wouldn't say they toned down the RPG a lot at all. ME2 is virtually identical to ME in that regard - though I will say that stat allocation has been tweaked slightly. As for whether you missed too much by skipping side quests...overall, I'd say no. You'll perhaps miss maybe a reference or two, but if you played the majority of the game, you're good.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Connor Lonske said:
Video does not work, and I hope the game is as good as you described.
Same here, the video died. Very much looking forward to the game, which should be in my mailbox any day now.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG a ton it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with.

I wouldn't say they toned down the RPG a lot at all. ME2 is virtually identical to ME in that regard - though I will say that stat allocation has been tweaked slightly. As for whether you missed too much by skipping side quests...overall, I'd say no. You'll perhaps miss maybe a reference or two, but if you played the majority of the game, you're good.
I played the first 3 times. Well, kinda. I beat it once, got up to the end two more times. Then the side questing made me give up. Well, then. *back to ME 1* To finish up the main plot.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
is it me or does the paragon/renegade conversation option sound liek a boiled down QTE? Sounds great but I cant get the vid to work either

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Susan Arendt said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I played the first 3 times. Well, kinda. I beat it once, got up to the end two more times. Then the side questing made me give up. Well, then. *back to ME 1* To finish up the main plot.
Then I'd say you're good. :D's

And it is kind of like a QTE, but it's optional and actually quite cool.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
Way to make me want to buy a game I promised myself I couldn't have until I finish the ones I got. Must...stay away...from.......shops....

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Actually a good review. Mail people screwed up and gave me my copy yesterday already, so I've already got 9 hours clocked and planning on adding way more after tonight. I love the game, save for the mining of course, and feel as if it adds to the legacy they've began to create

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
3... more... days... *Rocks back and forth in the corner*

Damn you lucky North Americans! This is torture... TORTURE I SAY!

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So what part of the review had spoilers? The whole thing was rather clean.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
JaredXE said:
So what part of the review had spoilers? The whole thing was rather clean.
Some of the footage we shot had certain characters in it that could be considered spoilers, but I don't think we actually ended up using any of that. I recorded the warning just in case. But I think it's all good.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way whatsoever. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass. [footnote]Useful note: it's a figure of speech. Be merciful, don't actually "Empire Strikes Back" my ass - please.[/footnote]

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kollega said:
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass.
Very much not like that, actually. Yes, you're going to have to shed a lot of blood, but that doesn't mean you're just spewing hate all over the place. Trust me, my Paragon Shepard is still a beacon of hope and positivity. You're not "shooting innocent people in the face," but you are going to have to make some hard choices.

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Star Trek Online needs space hamsters.

Or do Tribbles count?
Yes.....yes they do...

And I think you should name him Wiggles.

Looks like an awesome game! Too bad about the mining mini-game crap. Oh well, nothing is perfect!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
loremazd said:
Hey wait a minute... Boo was a space hamster! The universes are linked!
I was going to say, a space hamster in a Bioware game, two things are then true:

1) He must be named Boo

2) He will be trained to GO FOR THE EYES!

All kidding aside though, knowing this I will do everything I can to make my Shepard look like Minsc. I miss the oaf.

T3h Merc

Dec 24, 2008
Steampunk Viking said:
3... more... days... *Rocks back and forth in the corner*

Damn you lucky North Americans! This is torture... TORTURE I SAY!
Five for days for me and I AM an American. (Fucking Shipping!)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Very much not like that, actually. Yes, you're going to have to shed a lot of blood, but that doesn't mean you're just spewing hate all over the place. Trust me, my Paragon Shepard is still a beacon of hope and positivity. You're not "shooting innocent people in the face," but you are going to have to make some hard choices.
It's okay then, i guess. I don't have qualms againt mass-murder and wanton destruction... as long as my character does not act as a total douchebag at every opportunity, and actually shows some hesitation when it comes to letting innocent people die.

Not having Mako still sucks big fat torpedo, though. Why do you look at me like that, it handled perfectly well in PC version!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Now all they need to do for the third is add melee weapons and bring back the Mako and I am a happy man.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Souplex said:
Now all they need to do for the third is add melee weapons and bring back the Mako and I am a happy man.
Why would they add melee weapons? The game's happening in the freaking future, melee weapons would make no sense. Huge robots manned by humans however...

OT: I LOVED this game. Can't wait for the sequel. Must...see...conclusion to romance with Tali.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Susan, if you don't name it Boo I will come over and withould coffee (or whatever you like to drink) until you finished a Baldur's Gate 2 run with redemption and tactics installed. ^^

Nice review. I wonder how it'll work out on PC.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
HT_Black said:
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
As long as i get to do morally questionable acts.
Confuse people whether i am a "Good" or "Bad" Guy.
and decide the Fate of the entire Galaxy, then I AM IN!!!!!!!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.
Time traveler. Now that we've settled that the real questions begin. Does she travel Doctor/Bill & Ted style, Marty McFly style, or Star Trek slingshot style.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
Just picked up my Collector's Edition (Xbox 360). Two interesting things:

1) The awesome box art is on the cardboard sleeve, not on the metal tin. The metal tin has Shepard on the one side, and a geth (I think) on the other.

2) Unlike the digital editions, there is no soundtrack in the retail versions. I think I'd rather have had the soundtrack than the art book.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
Time traveler. Now that we've settled that the real questions begin. Does she travel Doctor/Bill & Ted style, Marty McFly style, or Star Trek slingshot style.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a time traveler. I will however point out, apropos of nothing, that I have a robot dog and a scarf of which I am overly fond.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Virgil said:
Just picked up my Collector's Edition (Xbox 360). Two interesting things:

1) The awesome box art is on the cardboard sleeve, not on the metal tin. The metal tin has Shepard on the one side, and a geth (I think) on the other.

2) Unlike the digital editions, there is no soundtrack in the retail versions. I think I'd rather have had the soundtrack than the art book.
Yeah, the soundtrack is what sold me on the Digital Deluxe edition - the other extras were nice, but as a music junkie (not really hyperbole, I've purchased 5 new albums so far this week and it's only Tuesday), there's just no way I can say no to that!

Now I just have to sit through my entire shift at work until I can fire up the game. At least it doesn't actually unlock until I'd get off work anyways, so I'm not constantly plagued by the thought that "I could be playing Mass Effect 2 right now" all day.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Good review, thanks for posting it. I'm definitely planning on getting it down the road, money's kind of tight at the moment.

Think I'll reinstall part one and play through it again :) I liked it a lot.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
*Excited gasp* Space hamster?!?

Name him Cheeto. That's what I'm going to name mine. :D

Anyway, nice review. I preordered my copy and payed extra for it to come as soon as possible.
*Stares at mailbox* Any minute now... :D

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Cant wait for this it looks great, also call your hamster "Boo the miniature giant space hamster"

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
Just spent about seven hours playing it and went straight to class after recruiting my fourth squadmate(Archangel, Jack, Moridin and Grunt). At the moment I am trying not to fall asleep for the next six hours as I sit through lectures waiting to go home and play... or sleep... which ever. :p

Needless to say it is meeting all of my expectations thus far.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a time traveler. I will however point out, apropos of nothing, that I have a robot dog and a scarf of which I am overly fond.
...I...you...

I love you so much right now.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Was it wrong that I walked out of eb games with my ME 2 collector box clutched to my chest as I was walking away, whimpering about how long it would take to walk home?

And seriously, took me around 5 minutes to pull one of the DVDs out of the box! WTH?

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Darn it! This is the only game that is making me re-consider my choice to get a PS3. I loved the first game and this looks like its going to rock to. Now all I need to do is find a spare £400 and I'm away!

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
cainx10a said:
Was it wrong that I walked out of eb games with my ME 2 collector box clutched to my chest as I was walking away, whimpering about how long it would take to walk home?

And seriously, took me around 5 minutes to pull one of the DVDs out of the box! WTH?
You're lucky you got to take it home... I'm sitting here at work and the game is calling to me from its hiding place in my desk, demanding that I go home and play it. ARGH!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Damnit, I can't read it for fear of spoilers, and the video warns of spoilers! And its not released in the UK til Friday! :(

Still, the conclusion bit seems like the game will be great!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ciler said:
cainx10a said:

You're lucky you got to take it home... I'm sitting here at work and the game is calling to me from its hiding place in my desk, demanding that I go home and play it. ARGH!
Just make sure you get enough sleep tonight sir ;)

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Dosn't sound much like a improvement, sadly i didn't like the first one, so i doubt i like this one.

Good review thou

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I'm loving the game so far. The combat feels as if I was playing Gears of War, which is a good thing, and no longer feels clunky and broken. Ammo is virtually everywhere so the fear that we're going to be running out of ammo is unfounded. Put about 5 hours into the game so far and the only thing I've run out of ammo for is the special weapons.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
Makes sense that you're a time and space traveler, considering the game in question involves tooling around the stars in the S.S. Fallic-Compensation-For-Being-Inexperienced-On-The-Galatic-Stage that Humanity controls.

What? Am I the only one who saw it? The C.N. Tower is just a tower with purple lights?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Doug said:
Damnit, I can't read it for fear of spoilers, and the video warns of spoilers! And its not released in the UK til Friday! :(

No spoilers in either. Read away. :)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
What is worrying is that Bioware games, atleast the newer ones, all feel so similar that it almost degrades the fun and immersion I'm having. After the first ME I bought DA:O and it was like: "Whoa, ME with swords!". (kind of like Bethesda games with Oblivion and Fallout).

Everything is structured so similarly, I really hope this game can liven it up a bit. Oh and I think it looks pretty bad that they scrapped the inventory. Why? It looks more like a normal shooter now and given that I didn't really like most of the shooting elements from the first one kind of seems troubling to me.

As for the references to the first game: It's probably troublesome to note that I finished the first and can't remember too much about it, especially the ending apart from 'the earth was saved'. Hope this will provide some fun first playthrough and that the removed RPG elements don't cripple it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Doug said:

No spoilers in either. Read away. :)
Yay! I can now hype myself up...*runs off to read and watch the video until he ends up in a coma*

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I wanna a space kitty now... I feel like this game wasmade just for me, why? It came out on my birthday! (Today Jan 26)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
Did you use a flux capacitor or a wormhole generator? = P

Clirck

Mar 19, 2009
Sweeet. Seriously I'm so exited I don't have anything to say anymore.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Kollega said:

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way whatsoever. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass. [footnote]Useful note: it's a figure of speech. Be merciful, don't actually "Empire Strikes Back" my ass - please.[/footnote]
Don't worry. I'll give you A New Hope.

Oh, that was painful.

Anyways, yes, Bioware, regardless of how much "soothing" reviewers attempt to do, has apparently missed the point of the Paragon in ME2. The point of being a Paragon was not spilling blood, working through things the right and respectable way, and definitely not making a deal with and working for the single most dangerous entity and man in existance. (Cerberus and the Illusive Man, if you somehow missed that.)

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I dislike the new clip system. It doesn't really fit in, and it could get annoying. So, they decided that after guns having near-infinite ammo in the past (It was infinite for the game's purposes, but not for the lore), they would backpedal and both waste resources, time, money and lives by downgrading their weapon systems.

It will also be damn irritating to run out in combat, given that it's an RPG, and that some enemies will probably have a lot of health.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Oh, I had no idea, I'm sorry to hear that... I sympathise, I too have been screwed over by post.

Also, on the subject of "Space Hamsters", Boo and Minsc are almost always referenced somehow in every Bioware game, so this doesn't surprise me. (if people are wondering how they're referenced in Dragon Age, there's an incredibly rare loading screen text that says "If all else fails... go for the eyes!")

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'll be getting this once my 360 fixed :)

And I think you should call the hamster 'Special Patrol Group'.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Anyways, yes, Bioware, regardless of how much "soothing" reviewers attempt to do, has apparently missed the point of the Paragon in ME2. The point of being a Paragon was not spilling blood, working through things the right and respectable way, and definitely not making a deal with and working for the single most dangerous entity and man in existance. (Cerberus and the Illusive Man, if you somehow missed that.)
Really? You don't think a Paragon would make a deal with the devil to save the human race? I disagree completely. Just because you're working with Cerberus doesn't mean you've suddenly gone to the dark side.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
Really? You don't think a Paragon would make a deal with the devil to save the human race? I disagree completely. Just because you're working with Cerberus doesn't mean you've suddenly gone to the dark side.
I don't even need to play the game to deal you that Collector's attacks on the humans are a pittance compared to what they, and the Reapers, have in store for the entire galaxy.

And remember, you're a SPECTRE - you took an oath defend all life in the galaxy, not just humanity. You're part of something bigger than the Alliance and humanity - working with someone who wants nothing more to than to see all other races bowing to the heels of humanity, or simply crushed in our wake and who only is interested in you because you can do that, is kind of the anti-thesis of what your job is supposed to be.

So, no, a Paragon wouldn't work with Cerberus. Since your still a SPECTRE, you can still can when and where you please - and you could easily continue the hunt for the Collectors under the banner of the Conciul or the Alliance as easily as you could under Cerberus. Hell, I don't even see what advantages Cerberus has over the other two - the other two have just extensive, if not more extensive intelligence networks, massive resources, and you could probably recruit a far superior, and less psychotic band of heroes from the "official" channels than you could from Cerberus's pool.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
I don't even need to play the game to deal you that Collector's attacks on the humans are a pittance compared to what they, and the Reapers, have in store for the entire galaxy.

And remember, you're a SPECTRE - you took an oath defend all life in the galaxy, not just humanity. You're part of something bigger than the Alliance and humanity - working with someone who wants nothing more to than to see all other races bowing to the heels of humanity, or simply crushed in our wake and who only is interested in you because you can do that, is kind of the anti-thesis of what your job is supposed to be.

So, no, a Paragon wouldn't work with Cerberus. Since your still a SPECTRE, you can still can when and where you please - and you could easily continue the hunt for the Collectors under the banner of the Conciul or the Alliance as easily as you could under Cerberus. Hell, I don't even see what advantages Cerberus has over the other two - the other two have just extensive, if not more extensive intelligence networks, massive resources, and you could probably recruit a far superior, and less psychotic band of heroes from the "official" channels than you could from Cerberus's pool.
With all due respect, you haven't played the game, so you don't know the full story of why Shepard is working with Cerberus. Perhaps if you did, you'd feel differently.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Kollega said:
Not having Mako still sucks big fat torpedo, though. Why do you look at me like that, it handled perfectly well in PC version!
No MAKO???

The problem wasn't the Mako. Driving the Mako was fun. The problem was that the planet surfaces weren't interesting or varied enough and that there were no hints where interesting stuff/minerals would be, so you would have to tediously search the entire surface to find everything.

And that new way of scouting minerals sounds just about as fun as sucking monkeyballs in space.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Don't worry. I'll give you A New Hope.

Oh, that was painful.
Indeed it was.

Paragon Fury said:
There is still a chance - if Paragon Shepard totaly screws over Illusive Man, throws a couple of spanners in the works of Cerberus, and legs it. Little bit of violence toward jerks is always excusable, even for nice guys. But i seriously doubt it will happen.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really looking forward to playing this! Great review Susan!

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
With all due respect, you haven't played the game, so you don't know the full story of why Shepard is working with Cerberus. Perhaps if you did, you'd feel differently.
MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

SERIOUSLY. DO NOT READ THE REST OF MY POST IF YOU DON'T WANT THIS PART RUINED.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

Yes, I know Cerberus brings Shepard back to life. That doesn't equate to Shepard owing them anything. Except maybe a few well-placed slugs.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

Yes, I know Cerberus brings Shepard back to life. That doesn't equate to Shepard owing them anything. Except maybe a few well-placed slugs.
What if it's the other way around and he's simply not recognized by the council any more?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Slycne said:
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

What if it's the other way around and he's simply not recognized by the council any more?
Because Shepard is still allowed on the Citadel (and apparently without guns being pointed in his/her general direction), as well as the fact that Garrus and the crew of the old Normandy still work for you. I highly doubt that they just let Doctor Chakwas and Joker go after the first Normandy incident, free for hire.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Slycne said:
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

Because Shepard is still allowed on the Citadel (and apparently without guns being pointed in his/her general direction), as well as the fact that Garrus and the crew of the old Normandy still work for you. I highly doubt that they just let Doctor Chakwas and Joker go after the first Normandy incident, free for hire.
There's more to it than just that. It's not as black and white as you seem to believe it is.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
No mako :( No planet exlporing :(
They should have upgraded the mako so it could go faster or give you a flight ship!.
I enjoyed the planet expoling it feelt a bit "star trekkie" to check out a planet whit your crew, the only thing that was missing was a red shirted no-named guy who would die.
Realese date is on thursday on my side of the ocean. cant wait!!!!

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
It's good to see that this game is living up to the rather large expectations set for it not to mention it's been a pleasant surprise to see that Bioware's listened to fan requests and actually made Tali and Garrus romance options in 2. Now if only they could do the same for Wrex....

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Punch him in the Gut! That'll show him for making a statement about a game he's not played.

In either case I would get this game, But I'm a very busy man you see =(

If I had your time travailing ability the story may be different... but alas

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
If ME isn't eventually ported to the Trey, this might very well be the reason to get a 360 eventually, if I ever have to much money.

WHUAHAHAHAHAHA, too much money. I crack me up.

BlicaGB

Jul 10, 2009
Oh Susan, you are awesome :D Thanks for the good review with only minor spoilers, if any at all. I didn't really see anything related to ruining the game.

My one concern now is that I can't remember how I left it off with my main caracter from ME. Did I kill the council or save them? Should I replay just to be sure? Decisions decisions.

I like the new mining system. Now what you find you can use for upgrades. I like it, it gives one purpose!

Must name hamster Rex!!!!

And now I must get my copy today! I hope the gf doesn't mind me playing until 4am. On a tuesday. I know there's some tv that she's gonna be craving to watch. Damn!!

FFMattCR

Nov 15, 2009
Bioware WHY!!!!!

Seriously, the clip thing?
It actually explained in the first mass effect fact file why guns didn't need clips, something to do with a block of metal that the slug/projectile is sheared off from and it very rarely needs to be replaced, why mess with a good history :'(

On the other hand... looks great XD

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
There's more to it than just that. It's not as black and white as you seem to believe it is.
If you can't choose to betray Cerberus as a Paragon, then this whole affair is stupid. Even if it's supposed to be "an uneasy choice to tolerate what is essentially Waffen SS IN SPACE for the sake of saving the galaxy from EVIL ALIENS", you should still be able to disobey particulary nasty orders of Illusive Man and sabotage Cerberus' illegal workings.

FFMattCR said:
Seriously, the clip thing?
It actually explained in the first mass effect fact file why guns didn't need clips, something to do with a block of metal that the slug/projectile is sheared off from and it very rarely needs to be replaced, why mess with a good history :'(
The "clips" are heatsinks. You can wait for your gun to cool down, or just swap the damn thing. The choice is yours.

But then again, i'm not sure if they did that one right either.

microwaviblerabbit

Apr 20, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
I dislike the new clip system. It doesn't really fit in, and it could get annoying. So, they decided that after guns having near-infinite ammo in the past (It was infinite for the game's purposes, but not for the lore), they would backpedal and both waste resources, time, money and lives by downgrading their weapon systems.

It will also be damn irritating to run out in combat, given that it's an RPG, and that some enemies will probably have a lot of health.
This 'new' clip system sounds exactly like the one from Deus Ex 2. You get one type and different guns use different amounts. I always found that I ran out of ammo and got screwed a lot. I hope it works this time?

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
how hard is it to review a game without revealing spoilers?! I know she gave us a warning...but i wanted to see if the game is worth buying...without knowing any big plot points, jeeeeez

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
TitsMcGee1804 said:
how hard is it to review a game without revealing spoilers?! I know she gave us a warning...but i wanted to see if the game is worth buying...without knowing any big plot points, jeeeeez
A game like Mass Effect? A lot harder then you seem to think it is. Story is a large part of what makes this game. We went out of our way to avoid spoilers, but one tiny reveal as to a character returning from the first game is revealed - and you'll have to be paying attention to catch it. If you've been following the game at all then you likely know about it already.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
microwaviblerabbit said:
MurderousToaster said:

This 'new' clip system sounds exactly like the one from Deus Ex 2. You get one type and different guns use different amounts. I always found that I ran out of ammo and got screwed a lot. I hope it works this time?
I ran out of ammo exactly once, and that was more a function of my own bad shooting than the game's bad design. I think it works quite well.

TitsMcGee1804 said:
And I didn't reveal any. There are larger spoilers in this thread than there are in either the written review or the video.

Usurpurus

Oct 12, 2009
I kinda thought the review was a bit skimpy and it was a bit focused on the little details and not really what the game was like to play or anything.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Think of the transition of from ME1 to ME2.

Shepard saves the day, then realizing there are more out their still, marches out. And you know what?

Dude has NOTHING

There are no more leads and no obvious next step. There are hundreds, maybe thousands more Reapers out there and you don't know what they are up to. You don't know if Sovereign was the only "failsafe" the Reapers had thought of. You don't know if the Reapers had a "plan B" or other means of returning. You have nothing...

ME2 accurately relays this sentiment in the intro...when it shows you wandering around...in the same section of space...for 4 days.

~~

Now put yourself in Shephard's shoes. You have no idea what your gonna do and neither does the Council, which is why they have been so hush hush about this. The Reapers could show up the very next day, and you'd be powerless.

All of a sudden this guy comes out of nowhere. He knows about the Reapers. He has a ridiculous amount of resources available. The fact that he actually resurrected someone from the dead shows his capabilities. And he wants to assist you.

Whats the problem?
Paragon Fury said:
Yes...cause as I said earlier, Shepard has plenty of leads on the Reaper situation...he should instead pick up where he left off...using the most advanced ship in Council possession to go scouting...for FOUR DAYS.

Paragon Fury said:
Theres a difference between an alliance and a truce.

Shephard is working with them because they can offer valuable assistance given the present situation.

Circumstances change though, and so will the way they both treat eachother.

Paragon Fury said:
So, no, a Paragon wouldn't work with Cerberus. Since your still a SPECTRE, you can still can when and where you please
Yeah, he should have totally flashed his badge. Cerberus would have no choice then but to let him commandeer a ship and provide instructions back to the Citadel. But not before they volunteer to put on restraints and be taken prisoner....

Paragon Fury said:
- and you could easily continue the hunt for the Collectors under the banner of the Conciul or the Alliance as easily as you could under Cerberus.
You could also do it under the banner of "Winnie the Pooh".

Paragon Fury said:
Hell, I don't even see what advantages Cerberus has over the other two - the other two have just extensive, if not more extensive intelligence networks, massive resources, and you could probably recruit a far superior, and less psychotic band of heroes from the "official" channels than you could from Cerberus's pool.
Putting aside how the whole "hush" on the Reapers means severely limiting your organizations resources... do you remember what the "official" channels produced last time?

The Alliance gave you Kaiden and Ashley.

Now how did those two compare to the other teammates you picked up? *cough* Wrex*

Tjaeden

Oct 9, 2009
loremazd said:
I'm glad someone else notices this - Boo the Space Hamster was Minsc's pet in the original Baldur's Gate - made by Bioware - and one of the best D&D RPG ports ever made.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the video!

hansari

May 31, 2009
Kollega said:
If you can't choose to betray Cerberus as a Paragon, then this whole affair is stupid. Even if it's supposed to be "an uneasy choice to tolerate what is essentially Waffen SS IN SPACE for the sake of saving the galaxy from EVIL ALIENS", you should still be able to disobey particulary nasty orders of Illusive Man and sabotage Cerberus' illegal workings.
My goodness...

This is a game that opens up with you DYING. You suffocate slowly and painfully as you spiral endlessly into space...the camera slowly pulling back to artistically show, despite the events of Mass Effect 1, you are mortal and can very easily become powerless.

And then you guys say "why doesn't he flash his badge and go all He-MAN on these people".

FFS

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
I'm getting quite tempted to get this now.
Problem is, I never played the first game, at all.

So, my question to you is twofold; is Mass Effect 2 easy to pick up (controls and gameplay wise) for a beginner, and will missing out on the first one really ruin the experience for me, or just only slightly dampen it?

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
To EVERYONE suggesting names for the space hamster that are not "Boo".

PLAY the Baldur's Gate series. (not Dark Alliance though).

For the love all that is good in gaming: Baldur's Gate II is the BEST computer RPG to ever be made. And it is quite possibly the best GAME ever to be made.

I don't make such claims lightly. (The top three of my list of Best games ever are BGII, Portal, and Myst 3: Exile btw).

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.

Would you like a Jelly Baby?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fragamoo said:
I'm getting quite tempted to get this now.
Problem is, I never played the first game, at all.

So, my question to you is twofold; is Mass Effect 2 easy to pick up (controls and gameplay wise) for a beginner, and will missing out on the first one really ruin the experience for me, or just only slightly dampen it?
Very easy to pick up, absolutely. Mucking about with the command wheel takes a wee bit of practice, but honestly, you can quite happily play the game without ever asking your companions to do a single thing.

Missing out on the first one won't ruin the experience, no, but you will absolutely, without question, enjoy the second game more if you play through the first. Besides, the first game is excellent...no reason not to play it.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I think you should call your hamster "Boo" after the Minsc's hamster in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Minsc believed that Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster" which is, in turn, a reference to D&D, which I'm sure you love.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
That was a very good review. I have to say, the mining on the first Mass Effect got tedious after the first mineral, but now that it actually serves a purpose I won't mind at all. We are stuck with it, yes, but it's not a waste of time either. My money is itching my pocket now. I need to play this game so badly.

Oh! And you should name the hamster Ron :-3

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Space hamster?
Miniature giant space hamster prehaps?

Anyway a very good review it didn't ruin anything yet it still informed me about the game. I think the fact you don't talk about the plot in any way is a strong point to this review, now I'll be able to show it to my spoiler fearing brother without much worry. Seems he won't be able to look at the comments however as they seem very spoilery.

I liked the review and came away with a better understanding of the game.

Susan Arendt said:
microwaviblerabbit said:
I ran out of ammo exactly once, and that was more a function of my own bad shooting than the game's bad design. I think it works quite well.
So as long as I don't burn ammo without reason I should be ok? I still don't like the idea, most likely because of my experances in Deus Ex: IW, which can be summarised as "where was this ammo when I needed it" and "why can't I just buy this stuff".

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
Thanks for the spoiler warning, I'll watch the review after I beat the game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Knight Templar said:
Space hamster?
Miniature giant space hamster prehaps?

Anyway a very good review it didn't ruin anything yet it still informed me about the game. I think the fact you don't talk about the plot in any way is a strong point to this review, now I'll be able to show it to my spoiler fearing brother without much worry. Seems he won't be able to look at the comments however as they seem very spoilery.

I liked the review and came away with a better understanding of the game.

Susan Arendt said:
microwaviblerabbit said:
So as long as I don't burn ammo without reason I should be ok? I still don't like the idea, most likely because of my experances in Deus Ex: IW, which can be summarised as "where was this ammo when I needed it" and "why can't I just buy this stuff".
I was playing on Normal and leaving thermal clips behind because I was full-up. Seriously, you'll be just fine, don't sweat it.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
damn, these games are coming out faster than I know. it kind of annoying to go and buy assassin's creed 2, and fin out MW2 is out and I never even knew.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:

I dunno about your Paragon Shepard, but mine had the "sole survivor" background--you know, the one where her squad was wiped out after being lured into a thresher maw nest by Cerberus. I can totally see that being an issue, too.

EDIT: Oh, and they killed Kahoku. And tortured Toombs. And turned those people into husks. It's probably a good thing my Shepard won't get to meet the Illusive Man in person, or this would be a really short game.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
HA! make fun of us Americans now, Cause us, and the Canadians get it the 26 witch is today.

TAKE THAT!

Oh and guess what, I am having fun with the the gun that you get for free if you pre-order it and the armor. Ok now I am just being a douchebag.

Oh, and you should name your hampster spacey, the space hamster, he is so cute BD

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
this horrible game is not worth a buy...... they went thew passed bioshock 100 phantoms ago watering it down so much, people stop buying crap already!!!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Confirmed that I will not buy this. Don't like shooters... at all.
And you should name your hamster "spiderman" like I named my dog in DA:O.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
I really don't like the ammo idea, I'm an RPG fan who kinda sucks at shooters, if I can't buy enough ammo to simply spam them with bullets, this will seriously alienate me, which would be a problem because I felt that there were gameplay elements in the first one that didn't work.

There best not be any enemies that run up to you, especially Krogan ones, they were a pain "RARGH I'M GONNA GIT YOU" "phew killed him, if he got any closer (gulps)" (two more wander into the room as the one you just killed gets up because for some reason the Krogans suffer from new school FPS syndrome and can heal to full health randomly) "OH FUUUUUU----" (Shepard dies)

(Two or three tries later "phew finally, and we all survived, yay!" (Turns round the next corner) "OH COME ON! AGAIN?"
(Repeat until either finished or you give up)

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sounds good. But they toned down the RPG part of combat it seems. And the combat was already RPG Lite to begin with. Now it sounds like just a shooter.

You know you can always just rent it first and then get it if you like it, works for me most the time.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
crotalidian said:
is it me or does the paragon/renegade conversation option sound liek a boiled down QTE?
Not according to other reviewers i.e. Adam Sessler.

loremazd said:
Who are you, KHF?

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
The disks to mine don't work, well at least the second one. Went on the bioware forums and apparently it's a common problem. I am Coping the discs to my hard drive and I will try to install from there.

Bioware is bad at releases....

Edit: From a look at the forums, people seem to be having problems with installation, loading, getting their cd keys, contacting support and getting their downloadable items.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
hansari said:
My goodness...

~spoiler for the opening~
If Adolf Hitler's or Joseph Stalin's secret police saved you from imminent death - and you would get orders from the psycho dictator himself -
then would you still work for them without any niggling doubt that what you are doing may help them in destroying the lives of innocent people who just were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or maybe you would be worried that you are a mere tool in their hands, and they'll murder you as soon as you outlive your usefulness?

Whoops.

I accidentially one of Mass Effect 2's plot twists without even playing the game.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Minsc said:
Boo is special among his kind, and quite resilient. Have I mentioned he is a miniature giant space hamster? I'm sure I have.
Nimzar said:
To EVERYONE suggesting names for the space hamster that are not "Boo".

PLAY the Baldur's Gate series.
Do it, DO IT NOW

joshrimer

Jan 27, 2010
There were tons of people talking about Mass Effect 2 on Twitter today! I showed some of the funnier ones in my video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdzoAlPyU8M :)

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So WHY did they decide to do a horrible thing and add ammo clips....sorry, heat clips to weapons? Did a universe that established that small arms used blocks of metal that slivered off ala rail gun suddenly fall on it's head and demand everyone now encumber themselves with heat sinks? (I know, they take up no space, but if the characters were real, where would they put all those clips?)

Oh, and what was wrong with the Simon-like game for hacking and unlocking? Same with planetary exploration or just plain scanning for minerals? Was that broken? Did it need a minigame too?

Bioware.....if it ain't broke, don't innovate it.

Zuljiin

Apr 1, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
this horrible game is not worth a buy...... they went thew passed bioshock 100 phantoms ago watering it down so much, people stop buying crap already!!!
Wat.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Which version of the game is this? The PC one? Are there any differences between them.
The in the video was on the console version. The differences are the same as always, the PC has better controls and graphics.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

You know you can always just rent it first and then get it if you like it, works for me most the time.
Already planned to do so.

OriginOfWaves

Jan 25, 2010
I've got a question. How come everyone made such a big deal of ME 1 inventory? It wasn't even that big or bulky. What wuz so complicated about it? All the upgrades and weapons were grouped by type. What happened to having patience to look for the best weapon or armour load-out. If you'd took the time you would notice how much detail and attention went into every item in ME's inventory. And what I've seen so far of ME 2 inventory makes me a sad panda.
I know it's off topic but... I'm just saying.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Just finished Mass Effect 2 a few hours ago. The game is far more streamlined, but seems a lot more casualised. Also, the choices are a lot less dramatic. There's no big genocide choices like in the first, though one does come close. Bioware has some brilliant writers though, as I did laugh quite a few times throughout the game, whether at the witty writing or collision detection bugs.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
JaredXE said:
So WHY did they decide to do a horrible thing and add ammo clips....sorry, heat clips to weapons? Did a universe that established that small arms used blocks of metal that slivered off ala rail gun suddenly fall on it's head and demand everyone now encumber themselves with heat sinks? (I know, they take up no space, but if the characters were real, where would they put all those clips?)
Blame Cerberus. I suppose it was their "brilliant" idea to hand out weapons with small replaceable heatsinks rather than big integrated ones.

Remember - if all else fails, blame Space Nazis!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kollega said:
JaredXE said:
Blame Cerberus. I suppose it was their "brilliant" idea to hand out weapons with small replaceable heatsinks rather than big integrated ones.

Remember - if all else fails, blame Space Nazis!
I really don't have that much problem with it. Granted we are talking about space weapons, but it does seem grounded on some level of practicality. Why wait for your heat sink to finish dispelling all the heat it's soaked up when you can jam a new one in? However it would have been nice if they left the old method in for when you ran out of thermal clips, although I haven't gotten anywhere close to running out.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Slycne said:
I really don't have that much problem with it. Granted we are talking about space weapons, but it does seem grounded on some level of practicality. Why wait for your heat sink to finish dispelling all the heat it's soaked up when you can jam a new one in? However it would have been nice if they left the old method in for when you ran out of thermal clips, although I haven't gotten anywhere close to running out.
Yes it's practical. But it's not nearly as practical as what you said - that would be an optimal solution. That's how it was supposed to be.

But alas.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Technically, Shepard's only saving the galaxy.

Anyway, seeing how you have a talent for summary that nobody I know has; is it worth loading a save game? I've been struggling to finish the first Mass Effect to get a usable save, but I'd like to play the second. Are the changes noticeable and beneficial, or could I live without them?

All that aside, great review. Thank you for not revealing any plot.

ZippyDSMlee said:
how is babby formed how girl get pragnent

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CuddlyCombine said:
Susan Arendt said:
Technically, Shepard's only saving the galaxy.

Anyway, seeing how you have a talent for summary that nobody I know has; is it worth loading a save game? I've been struggling to finish the first Mass Effect to get a usable save, but I'd like to play the second. Are the changes noticeable and beneficial, or could I live without them?

All that aside, great review. Thank you for not revealing any plot.
Meh, universe, galaxy...same same. ;)

Unless it's going to be a major hardship or hassle, I'd really advocate finishing Mass Effect first. Sure, you can totally live without the bonuses you get, but you'll enjoy the second game more if you play through the first. Turn the difficulty down to Easy, if that's what's tripping you up.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
k-ossuburb said:
I think you should call your hamster "Boo" after the Minsc's hamster in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. Minsc believed that Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster" which is, in turn, a reference to D&D, which I'm sure you love.
Please tell me you don't really consider Dark Alliance before the real Baldur's Gate games.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Unless it's going to be a major hardship or hassle, I'd really advocate finishing Mass Effect first. Sure, you can totally live without the bonuses you get, but you'll enjoy the second game more if you play through the first. Turn the difficulty down to Easy, if that's what's tripping you up.
Well, I was wondering more about the technical aspects, as nobody has been quite clear on them. I've already finished the first game (four times, with all achievements). However, after wiping my computer to install 7, I lost said saves.

At this point, it isn't really a hassle to finish the first game, as that will only take me two days at most. It's just that Mass Effect 2 is Pavlov's bell to my salivary glands.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CuddlyCombine said:
Susan Arendt said:
Well, I was wondering more about the technical aspects, as nobody has been quite clear on them. I've already finished the first game (four times, with all achievements). However, after wiping my computer to install 7, I lost said saves.

At this point, it isn't really a hassle to finish the first game, as that will only take me two days at most. It's just that Mass Effect 2 is Pavlov's bell to my salivary glands.
Ahhhh, I see. Well, I can't speak to the PC side of things, only the 360 version. Porting the save over was dead simple. It simply asks you if you want to start a new character or load a previous Shepard. Hit a button, wait a minute or two, and bam, you're ready to go.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
CuddlyCombine said:
Susan Arendt said:

You import your Mass Effect 1 saves from the Configuration tool. You get some extra cash for a leveled character and you'll have had made the decisions for the major plot points from the first. You're still soft-reset as a character and can pick a brand new class and appearance. If you start a new character in Mass Effect 2 the game defaults to -

Council is killed.
Anderson is given control.
Kaiden died.
I haven't confirmed if it defaults a romance, but I think it might be Ashley.

You still get the Earthborn, Ruthless, etc options though on creating a brand new character.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Slycne said:
You import your Mass Effect 1 saves from the Configuration tool. You get some extra cash for a leveled character and you'll have had made the decisions for the major plot points from the first. You're still soft-reset as a character and can pick a brand new class and appearance. If you start a new character in Mass Effect 2 the game defaults to -

Council is killed.
Kaiden died.

You still get the Earthborn, Ruthless, etc options though on creating a brand new character.
Wow. Those defaults are both the direct opposites to what I'm doing, haha. Thanks for the info, though.
Susan Arendt said:
Ahhhh, I see. Well, I can't speak to the PC side of things, only the 360 version. Porting the save over was dead simple. It simply asks you if you want to start a new character or load a previous Shepard. Hit a button, wait a minute or two, and bam, you're ready to go.
That's a relief. PC may find some way to make it difficult, but I'll live to save the universe galaxy.

staplegrecko

Jan 1, 2010
Expecting this game to drop into the mailbox tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to it. I thought the first game was awesome in most ways, and is still one of my favorite games, despite its flaws. Driving the Mako around wasn't all that great, but to me it was not so much because of the Mako and its control scheme as it was the terrain, which was often just a horror to navigate. So scanning to planet from orbit sounds like a cool improvement, at least to my ears.

Tomorrow just can't come soon enough... oh and by the way, I am so getting the space hamster!

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
I just picked up my copy last night, haven't installed it yet but I told myself I'd wait until I finish playthrough #7 (Feros, Virmir, and Ilios are all that's left... and I'd like to finally finish Wrex's assignment).

Two things bother me about the new version; the coolant clips and the omission of the Mako.

The coolant clips totally backtrack against cannon. Nitpick, yes, but I don't like it. Minor point anyway compared to...

More seriously, I can NOT beleive that they dropped the Mako and replaced it with a busywork minigame that not only sounds stupid, unchallenging, and worst of all boring; but UNLIKE the Mako is NOT optional content. I'd say about 75% of the stuff you did with the Mako was optional anyway; you didn't like it you didn't really have to do it all that much (the times you HAD to use the Mako you more or less just followed a fairly clear path anyway). It doesn't sound like this dumb-arsed mining minigame is all that optional; unless you enjoy hamstringing yourself anyway. I'm just totally dumbstruck with that huge, "Bioware, what the frozen fish fries were you THINKING?!"

Sigh, sad thing is I'll still probably play through the sequel a dozen times... or I'll grin like an idiot and start playthrough #8 of the original and remember the happier times.

Hey, did anyone ever get an Armature stuck between the rear wheels of the Mako? Sure made fighting his mate a bit of a challenge.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Zuljiin said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Wat.
System shock 2 a deliciously well thought out yet challenging sci fi RPG in first person, ,Baldur gate a delicious classic RPG on the scale and weight of a 10 pound book.

Halo a well balanced and fun FPS

Doom 3 a watered down corridor shooter in the dark

Fallout 1-2 rich and deep if buggy RPGs

FO3 pissed flavored lulz fest

Bioshock heavily watered down lulz fest.

Classic solid game design>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>watered down>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>piss flavored
SS2/BG,FO1-2...............Halo.............ME...............................D3.......................BS...........ME2.....FO3

Today's game designs SUCK.........

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
Good review^^
gad just 1 more day! god i cant wait!!!
i really like how she said might contain spoilers before starting the review^^
Gametrailers never does that, so kudos for doing it^^

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Slycne said:

Council is killed.
Kaiden died.

HA! Those defaults were almost exactly what I got on my Paragon character, though I had Liara as a lover because she was just so damn easy to seduce. I really wanted Ashley though.

And Earthborn and Sole-Survivor.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Confused.

From what I read elsewhere, you can no longer equip your squadmates, there is no xp for killing, there are mission complete screens, your own armor virtualy does nothing and you cannot compare the stats of weapons, since they have non. Each skill has, what, 5 levels, and that is that. There are few stats that influence combat, and non that influence hitting targets.

I would consider these to be very imporant RPG elements that would detract hugely from the feel of an RPG if they were missing. But I truely value Susan Arendts opinion, so I am loathe to disbelieve her when she claims that nearly no RPG elements has been removed compared to ME1.

I had decided not to buy the game, since a shooter with a story does not an RPG make, but now I am torn yet again.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Skyweir said:
Confused.

From what I read elsewhere, you can no longer equip your squadmates, there is no xp for killing, there are mission complete screens, your own armor virtualy does nothing and you cannot compare the stats of weapons, since they have non. Each skill has, what, 5 levels, and that is that. There are few stats that influence combat, and non that influence hitting targets.

I would consider these to be very imporant RPG elements that would detract hugely from the feel of an RPG if they were missing. But I truely value Susan Arendts opinion, so I am loathe to disbelieve her when she claims that nearly no RPG elements has been removed compared to ME1.

I had decided not to buy the game, since a shooter with a story does not an RPG make, but now I am torn yet again.
Ok, let me clarify. The elements are there, but they have definitely been simplified. Each skill requires basically the same amount of upgrading it did before, but rather than break it into 20 blocks, (I'm picking that number at random, I don't know the actual number off the top of my head), it's broken into 5 that require increasing number of skill points. So, level one needs one point, level two needs 2 skill points, and so forth. Different weapons do have different qualities, but those are spelled out in general terms -- "powerful against armor, weak against shields" -- as opposed to +1, +2.

All of that said, however, the RPG elements here weigh most heavily in character interaction as opposed to inventory manipulation. So it's really a question of what you personally enjoy most in an RPG.

Let me ask you, did you play and enjoy the first game?

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

RPG Lite? are you high? The conversation and story building, as well as the level progression and skill advancement was one of the most touted aspects, where as the shooting was the more broken of the two. Remember Yahtzee complaining that there was too much story? Every character is content to throw a novel's worth of information at you with little provocation. Possibly you were thinking of a different game?

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I do not mind that it is optional but if they do it infrequently it is going to bug the crap out of me. If they are going to use QTE or anything like it they should use them regularly so that gamers are ready for the spontaneous reaction that such events require. Otherwise gamers will be caught totally off guard. And i would feel as if I missed out if i did not perform the QTE's.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Souplex said:
Why would they add melee weapons? The game's happening in the freaking future, melee weapons would make no sense. Huge robots manned by humans however...

OT: I LOVED this game. Can't wait for the sequel. Must...see...conclusion to romance with Tali.
In the trailer for the assassin character they show him completely tearing people apart with his bare hands. I would have loved to see this represented in another class focused on quick hand to hand attacks and more mobile combat.

nonroker

Aug 13, 2009
Anyone not naming their space hamster boo is a complete sociopath. I named my dog in Dragon Age Boo. And also Oy, which made more sense.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
funnily enough, not a single stupid store in town carries the game, how pathetic is that? Oh sure we have so much crap like Bionic Commando but huge selling titles are just so hard to find. I'll track it down one day, Amazon's pricing right now (Canadian one) is stupidly awful

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Were you playing the PC or Xbox version as I've found the PC controls to be really annoying and they are sadly putting me off the game.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I'm almost positive that someone's already said it but...

"Space Hamster? Where the hell is Minsc when you need him??!!"

Ahh Bioware, how I praise you...

"I am ze Übermensch"
Nov 6, 2007
call him mc hamster, thats what my 'normal' hamster was called.... dam non space hamsters and their short life spans

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Laxman9292 said:
Susan Arendt said:
I do not mind that it is optional but if they do it infrequently it is going to bug the crap out of me. If they are going to use QTE or anything like it they should use them regularly so that gamers are ready for the spontaneous reaction that such events require. Otherwise gamers will be caught totally off guard. And i would feel as if I missed out if i did not perform the QTE's.
Well, catching you off guard is kind of the point. Just like real conversation.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Space Hamster thing was pushing it, it's a spelljammer referance (even in Baldur's Gate 2, where it was a "minature giant space hamster").

Truthfully I can't figure out what Bioware was thinking here. I think people didn't like the inventory system because they were either shooter fanatics, or really didn't care for the fact that there were only a comparitively few items being updated in numerical value, so once you figured out which "brand/name" was best for a given class everything else became kind of pointless.

As many said they should have gone with an inventory/equipment system like Knights Of The Old Republic, and that approach to itemization. Scrapping the inventory system pretty much removed a lot of the RPG aspects and turned this into a customizable shooter, which I don't think was a good idea.

While a decent game, I think more reviewers should be critical of the fact that this is being called an RPG, and really on those grounds it fails because even as an action RPG there really aren't that many items or stats.

I think games like this and Bordelands should be called "customizable shooters" (which is not nessicarly bad) more than trying to hit the "RPG" buzzword.

I doubt that many people will agree with me, but such are my thoughts. Still a game I like a lot but a lot of the changes they made were pretty much in a direction I don't care for. It feels like they virtually gave up on trying to balance it as a hybrid.

I will also say that the Mako sequences weren't terrible, but they really needed to add more stuff to the planets and so on for you to do in the Mako. Running around looking for rocks and artifacts was kind of boring especially since you'd wind up driving up these steep mountais and such. I'm somewhat disappointed that instead of adding more content to make it more exciting, they pretty much scrapped it.

Also I'll be honest (for those who read this far) in saying that as a veteran of games like "Starflight" where you did the same basic thing, the Mako planetary exploration was actually pretty good. It sort of reminded me of Starflight/Sentinel Worlds/Hard Nova with modern technology. I hate to see such unrealized potential go to waste.

Not very far into ME 2 (on the first colony) but these are my thoughts so far based on my experiences and what people are saying.

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Therumancer said:
Also I'll be honest (for those who read this far) in saying that as a veteran of games like "Starflight" where you did the same basic thing, the Mako planetary exploration was actually pretty good. It sort of reminded me of Starflight/Sentinel Worlds/Hard Nova with modern technology. I hate to see such unrealized potential go to waste.
\m/ ^_^ \m/ Starflight FTW!

I think you nailed it; Bioware scrapped everything we had a complaint about rather than improving on it. The inventory system they adopted in the first one sucked eggs and the Mako handled like it was undersprung, massless, and in dire need of new shocks (LOL). While I'm certain I'll play the heck out of the new game I find it a shame that they stripped out so many of the components of the previous game rather than fixing them.

...and coolant clips?! Serisously!? I am never getting over this.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
k-ossuburb said:
I think you should call your hamster "Boo" after the Minsc's hamster in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. Minsc believed that Boo was a "miniature giant space hamster" which is, in turn, a reference to D&D, which I'm sure you love.
Please tell me you don't really consider Dark Alliance before the real Baldur's Gate games.
Firstly: who edited my post? I didn't put Baldurs Gate 2 in there.

Secondly, I was talking about the hamster, not the games. The hamster is in a game setting, it's in a fantasy game (which I'm pretty sure Susan is fond of) and it's got connections to D&D (which I'm sure Susan is also fond of) I wasn't commenting on the game at all, jeez, why do I always end up offending someone through the most innocent posts?

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
I know I should want to play this game but for some reason I just don't. It's like I'm hardwired to want to pass up anything that other people salivate over en masse.

Laus

Jul 31, 2009
Extremely sad you mentioned the space hamster and did not recognize the reference to Boo from Baldur's Gate.

My insides are crying and cursing profusely...

Darmort

Mar 16, 2009
Laus said:
Extremely sad you mentioned the space hamster and did not recognize the reference to Boo from Baldur's Gate.

My insides are crying and cursing profusely...
Best first post I've ever seen.

As to your review, I can pretty much agree with you Susan. Good job on it. And name your hamster Boo.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Oh god...so good...playing too much.... eyeballs bleeding. Need to resist....failing...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ok. I've finished my first play through.

Verdict -

Story - Excellent. Very strong, flexible based on the your choices, darker and yet lighter in some places. Excellent ending, won't spoil any of it.

Gameplay - Combat, very improved, conversations improved, PC interface...slightly backwards.

Environments - They seem abit smaller than ME 1 and yet...well, much more alive.

Overall, very high marks, but I need ME 3 now!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Therumancer said:
While a decent game, I think more reviewers should be critical of the fact that this is being called an RPG, and really on those grounds it fails because even as an action RPG there really aren't that many items or stats.
See I would have to disagree with you there. I think Mass Effect is far more deserving of it's RPG titling than a lot of other games in the genre.

In my opinion, an RPG is ideally about identifying as your character versus merely taking on the role given to you, and also being able to make choices, preferably lasting and game altering decisions. Identifying as your character is an individual experience - thus making that hard to nail down for anyone but the person playing, but the game has certainly allowed for much more freedom and lasting consequences in the choices aspect than say a Diablo or a Final Fantasy.

Video game RPGs are constrained due to their technical restrictions. They are often faced with either forcing linear story and sacrificing freedom or sacrificing story telling and allowing freedom. I feel so far Mass Effect has done a fine job of riding the line between the two, delivering a story it wants to tell but while allowing the player to effect the world the story takes place in. And this, for me, makes the experience more inline with what I think an RPG is, which is more than just a level system, items and stats.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Kollega said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Council is burying their heads in the sand and refusing to believe that the Reapers are real. Udina and Anderson believe, but their hands are tied. The Alliance Navy's hands are tied. When you go back to the Citadel for the first time, and talk to Anderson or Udina, they make this clear to you. Cerberus is the only organization willing to commit its vast resources to stopping the Collectors and the Reapers. Desperate times call for desperate measures; working with Cerberus is a desperate measure. People keep mentioning Nazis in this discussion...well, the Allies in WWII fought with Russia for a common goal. Then, all of those countries went right back to decrying communism. Stalin was no angel, either, but turning down help when the fate of the world or the galaxy is at stake is just plain stupid. Standing on principle is fine and dandy when it's only your own life at stake, but we're talking the destruction of all sentient life.

As far as being a Paragon, the Paragon options for conversations with the Illusive Man, or with people asking about Cerberus, make it pointedly clear that you're not working FOR Cerberus. You're working with them and tolerating it, for only as long as your goals are the same. Illusive Man never orders you to do anything, and tells you more than once that you're free to turn your back, because he knows how fragile the alliance is. Instead, he gives you reasoned arguments about why you should help him. You don't have to trust him to agree with logic.

Personally, I think it adds a lot to the story, showing just how desperate everyone is. Sheperd is willing to work with a detestable organization because it's his or her only option, and Cerberus is willing to give Sheperd free reign because it's their only option.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
traukanshaku said:
~Umm... spoiler?~
Well then, if my protagonist does not have to like them, it's tolerable. Not perfect, but i can accept it.

WafflesToo

Sep 19, 2007
Finally loaded and started playing through the game. As promised, the coolant clips aren't all that bad and they SORT of make sense the way they are presented. I do still wish they'd allowed weapons to cool off naturally rather than treating it as an absolute ammunition limit, but it's tolerable. I guess (lol).

Cerberus Group, yes they're major jerks, yes they did terrible things to Toombs (and possibly you too), but you have to trust Bioware. It does work, there are horrible consequences, and it just makes sense. Have some faith in them, it's not like they're directing prequels to some of your most beloved childhood memories. It will be okay. -_^

Am I the only one that misses the elevators? The first game immersed you, and never ever let go. ME2 drags you into its world and then dumps you back out of it with a splash screen every few minutes, then you have to spend a few seconds reimmersing yourself. I suppose I'm in the minority though, but I still enjoyed listening in on the news reports and the crew chatting. Nice way to pick up a bit more on the world without having to dig through the codex.

Finally, yes they dumbed it down quite a bit. Probably for the Halo tards and the GoW fanboys. I find it obnoxious, but not that bad I suppose. I suppose it allows you to dive in faster, but I miss that elitist feeling I'd get as I mastered the existing system to greater degrees and started pulling off some awesome, jaw dropping stuff. The radial menu still pauses the game which I consider a good thing, but they eliminated squad move ordering from it which I consider a bad thing; now I'm forced to rely on thier hotkey system which ties up bindings that I would really rather use for something else entirely.

I have to admit though, I DON'T miss the old inventory system one iota.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I don't recall a miniature giant space pony in a previous bioware game, so I doubt that'll happen. Scanning isn't that bad (I take my time with to to where I usually find two or three spikes after the planet is depleted), but I'm an astronomy/physics nut so everything like this about a sci-fi game is usually awesome to me.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
I love ME2 - on my 3rd play through and it is alot of fun the play :D

The only problem I have with the game is that it feels like the 'real' story (ie, collectors etc) is about 2/3 missions long.

You start off and say "Oooh! Collectors bad, lets stop them! But first I need to assemble a kick ass team!" - ok I can live with that because the 'aquire' quests are good in themselves.

Once you've got your team, in order to actually finish the game without them all getting wasted you need to do a loyality quest as well. You always get a dialog option that says "If we have time", but there is NO time limit before the collectors do anything really bad - so you've got more than enough time to keep everyone happy.

If you do all of the team member quests & loyalty quests it feels like you start off saying "Lets get this damn alien abductors" but each guy you meet says "but can you take me here first please" and the game becomes more and more about pleasing these guys than doing any collector ass kicking at all.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I played the first ME long enough to get to know my crew and figure out what's going on in the galaxy
...oh and to get totally annoyed by the game mechanics from the combat controls to the stupid menus

then I put it down and didn't bother trying it again...and then I picked up ME2
well okay some decisions were made for me but for the most part they were things I woulda done anyway...
and I gotta say...ME2 really does satisfy both the RPG and FPS (more so than say...Borderlands)

heck, maybe I'm crazy but I didn't mind scanning planets...it was rewarding in a very lazy (engineering student?) sorta way...meh