Review: NBA 2K11

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: NBA 2K11

Putting a round ball through a metal hoop never felt so right.

Read Full Article

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
ok question does anyone here give a fuck that this is the single sports game that breaks the stereotypes of same game you bought last year with new roster? i think this should be adressed by someone. pereferabaly extra credits

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
The game is fucking AMAZING. Completely different from 2k10 and much more realistic. 2nd place for me in terms of GOTY. Behind GOW3.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
the lapalminator said:
ok question does anyone here give a fuck that this is the single sports game that breaks the stereotypes of same game you bought last year with new roster? i think this should be adressed by someone. pereferabaly extra credits
In my experience, people cared a lot, although I live in Chicago so my experience is extremely biased.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Looks like I might have to buy a basketball game. I liked the demo a lot, once I figured it out.

Sports games seem to assume that I already know everything. I need more than a fucking control map.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
All I care about is My Player mode. In 2k10 it was extremely fun, but also terribly buggy. If those bugs are gone, then I think NBA 2k11 will battle hard with Civ 5 and my real life for my time during the evenings :)

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Considering NBA Elite 2011 is down and presumably out due to whacking great big bugs, I hereby declare this the Best Basketball Game of the 2010-2011 season.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Ugh. I am a basketball fan and I hated this game. I'm not really gonna get into it unless someone wants me to, but the bottom line is while this game looks good, sounds good, etc. it doesn't play good and that's what matters.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
The one problem that really bothers me that nearly every reviewer overlooks is this: The historic teams don't have accurate rosters past their starting five. Actually, the bench players between many historic teams are completely interchangeable---names and all! No Bill Walton on the Celtics, no Vinnie Johnson on the Pistons, etc. How tough could it be to complete the accurate rosters?

ENKC

May 3, 2010
This game is an absolute basketball-gasm. I mean, NBA 2K10 was astounding but this just bends it over the desk and makes it think of England in every respect.

There's just SO DARN MUCH to do. There's My Player, custom teams, association, Jordan Challenge, My Jordan and NBA Blacktop which could all suck many hours before you even think of online. And seriously, Longley vs Bogut. Enough said.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Zerbye said:
The one problem that really bothers me that nearly every reviewer overlooks is this: The historic teams don't have accurate rosters past their starting five. Actually, the bench players between many historic teams are completely interchangeable---names and all! No Bill Walton on the Celtics, no Vinnie Johnson on the Pistons, etc. How tough could it be to complete the accurate rosters?
You know I actually noticed this but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. I wonder if it had to do with contracts or something and 2K just figured it should concentrate on getting the starting five right.

Headwuend

Oct 27, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I have to agree with you in every sim basketball game trying to use playbook plays never work right and the game doesn't give you and mode to actually practice those plays to see how they actually work in the game.
Yes, it does: Game Mode > Practice > Plays.

What the review failed to mention imho is that there are three gameplay slider presets if you will, called Simulation, Arcade and Casual. Personally, I've only played Simulation so far, but i imagine that the other two presets would make the game more accessible.

To sum up my own impressions so far: 2K really screwed themselves over - how the hell are they supposed to top a great basketball game featuring the career of His Airness himself?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
game is not wo it's bugs tho, on all systems there are bugs with myplayer, and jordan challenges when the game hangs up after quarters, ai players failing to foul out. game still has the bug from the last 2 years where players heads vanish on replays.

pc has the added head scratching bugs of somehow 2k managed to forget to add the shadows for the pc version, and floor reflections on courts get switched off when you set the game settings to high stadium vs low setting where you see them.....modders are already fixing these issues on pc.

2k has also announced a patch due out next week to address some issues.

But despite all that this is a great basketball and the best out there period. The controls take getting used to, and protip gamemodes/practice/freestyle, go there practice, it has little pop up text for each move you can do and what buttons to push. and as the above guy said you can practice plays also even in association and general.

BUt once you do start to get the hang of things the game really begins to come alive. Yes compared to years past you are not going to be going to the hoop and dunking at will, tho if you put the game on rookie and casual you will get there quite often. But otherwise you are going to have to work for your drives, defenders rotate you will get blocked off from the bucket defenses in general are much more effective running pick and rolls and plays is much more vital, especailly at superstar and above difficulties in this game than in any other nba game i have played.

And of course it has his airness and while some of the no names on the classic teams are generics the main people are represented fairly well, some of the skin jobs tho could have been better, but you will not mistake who bird or magic or jordan or pippen are.

If you like bball games and are on the fence get this game period.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
the lapalminator said:
ok question does anyone here give a fuck that this is the single sports game that breaks the stereotypes of same game you bought last year with new roster? i think this should be addressed by someone. preferably extra credits
Hell yeah! This is the best sports game ever made. It doesn't get any better than this. I bought it on the first day and I'm loving everything about it. Gameplay, features, graphics, soundtrack. It's all perfect.