Review: PlayStation Move Roundup

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: PlayStation Move Roundup

Sometimes I think that the best games are the ones where you shoot things.

Read Full Article

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
That boxing game looks awful. Like Sissy Fight Night.

Time Crisis, however, will be at the top of my list when I eventually get a PS3+Move.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The updated Hustle Kings (a pool/billiards game) is quite fun with the Move controller. I have yet to see a real Move killer app though, none of the new Move games really impress me much.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Ugh, holy christ, watching The Fight was like watching a bad remake of Reboot.

Eye bleach, anyone?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Onyx Oblivion said:
What about Eyepet?
My impressions of EyePet were that it's pretty neat, for a kid. The alternate reality part of it is pretty neat though. And I got a kick out of licking my Pet.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8116-Hands-on-Impressions-of-PlayStation-Move

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Onyx Oblivion said:
What about Eyepet?
We covered that and a few of the other launch titles a little while back. Hands on Impressions of PlayStation-Move [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8116-Hands-on-Impressions-of-PlayStation-Move].

Edit - What he said, sans licking.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
I also was pretty surprised by The Shoot. After playing a bit of the Demo I just went for it together with Time Crisis. Out of the two, The Shoot is the better one in terms of control smoothness and it simply feel a bit more rewarding shooting stuff than in Time Crisis.
It also makes a great game to play with a buddy, girlfriend or wife. Nothing too complicated going on and it is pretty forgiving while still offering the possibility of challenges.
The best feature, however, was the deadzone sensitivity. I never had the feeling that the controls were too accurate nor too sluggish.
As for the control scheme in Time Crisis, I'll have to second the review. It just feels wrong. Not on from a general perspective, but they did some strange button layouts that simply feel uncomfortable (using the d-pad for zoom, i.e.).
I really hope that some devs come up for a better way to look around instead of pointing at the side of the screen. It would even help by slowly starting to turn and then ramp up the rotation speed the further you are pointing at the edge.
Right now, all those games (i.e. MAG) simply feel way too much like a Resident Evil game.
Running, yes
Shooting, yes
Shoot and (circle-)strafe, nope

Maybe we are just so used to the controls we have now on console shooters, but I am sure that there must be a way to have this feel a little better.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Graphics aside...I only have one question. A question that should have been voiced by PlayStation before development.

What does this offer that the Wii doesn't?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
And this is why I haven't bought the PS3 Move... Granted I haven't bought a connect either.. There doesn't seem to be a "killer app" for either system that really makes me think I need to shell out a couple hundred bucks to play.

Not with a bunch of holiday titles coming out...

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I must ask: Does MoveTM(R)(C)(WTF) overall have that half second lag, that has been painfully apparent in every video I have seen so far, or is that title specific?

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Man, The Fight's punches are ridiculous. All that talk about this game being hardcore and the controls are annoying and the combat is laughable.

Also the controls for Time Crisis 4 with the Dualshock and Move looks familiar to the Wiimote and Nunchuck, only painful since you have to hold a Playstation 3 controller on one hand and the Move (as a gun or a remote) on the other.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
The Fight is a great game. It takes A LOT of getting used to. If you don't have the time to train yourself IRL then you shouldn't play this game. I challenge someone at the escapist to put a week into this game before they pass judgement.

TCZ and The shoot...ugh light gun games with a reticle telling you where you're aiming. No thanks.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
WRT golf (and accurate sims in general): I suppose it depends who you think it's marketed towards. Bit like the Eyepet, really; an attempt to cater for a different segment of the market. Hyper-accurate golf sims aren't going to appeal to the average gamer, but if you figure this is a family-oriented sale, then Dad might well appreciate a good golf game. Particularly if it's good enough to improve his real-life play, and bonus points if it recreates famous courses that he might otherwise never get to play on.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
hunh... I didnt even know time Crisis was still a relevant game.

Either way, I dont plan on getting a move. I just dont like motion control. I play games to get away from life, not make them just another part of it.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
Graphics aside...I only have one question. A question that should have been voiced by PlayStation before development.

What does this offer that the Wii doesn't?
Pretty much nothing. "The Fight" looks like an HD version of MadWorld. That's NOT an improvement, btw.

It's also interesting to point out that the PS Move is selling much better in Europe than it is in the US. About the only game that 'hardcore' US fans would buy the Move for would be a CoD or MoH game. It's also interesting to point out that while the NES and Super NES didn't sell as spectacularly in Germany and France as it did in the US, the Gameboy and its successors sold insanely well there. It just goes to show that different markets like different things and setups for their own reasons.