Review: PlayStation Move Roundup

Son of Detroit

Sep 25, 2010
This is what The Fight is capable of when being played by people who are actually good at it:

I encourage any PSMove owners looking for a more "hardcore" experience to give it a try.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Gary Cummings said:
This is what The Fight is capable of when being played by people who are actually good at it:
It's still slow as molasses and has all the smoothness and flow of passing a kidney stone.

I'm a big fan of the Move, but The Fight just isn't a good showing of the tech.
I'm excited about RE5 and Time Crisis though.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks the Wii Sports boxing is still the best motion controlled boxing game out there? The mechanics to it are pretty simple, but it definitely rewards players who know what they are doing. It's like the Othello of fight games.

SoulChaserJ said:
The Fight is a great game. It takes A LOT of getting used to. If you don't have the time to train yourself IRL then you shouldn't play this game. I challenge someone at the escapist to put a week into this game before they pass judgement.

TCZ and The shoot...ugh light gun games with a reticle telling you where you're aiming. No thanks.
I think the point of the review is that if you have to train yourself IRL for it then it's not that great of a game.

Perhaps it's an accurate fighting simulator, but even then I'd rather just take some boxing classes at my local gym. IMO motion control games are best when they are somewhat abstracted.

ThisNewGuy said:
Haha, I really love this review because of this statement about the Fight:

The writing isn't great either, the game begins with Trejo looking at you in a basement gym saying, "So you want to be a fighter?" in the most cliché way.
I love how you reviewed the writing of a Move fighting game. I agree too. I also hate the writing in Wii Fit and Pong.
When a game features a cinematic training session I think it's perfectly fair to review the writing.

Especially if they are using an actor as cool as Trejo.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
SoulChaserJ said:
The Fight is a great game. It takes A LOT of getting used to. If you don't have the time to train yourself IRL then you shouldn't play this game. I challenge someone at the escapist to put a week into this game before they pass judgement.

TCZ and The shoot...ugh light gun games with a reticle telling you where you're aiming. No thanks.
Punching without impact, no thanks.

Actually I am quite keen for that game if any, I simply didn't care for your critisism of the other games is all. =]

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Speaking as someone who has seen A LOT of real fights. (work in law enforcement) I think it's pretty damn accurate looking... at least for two random schlubs fighting. Still doesn't look like a very fun game though. :p

People have been bitching about the wii and it's lack of sensitivity and inaccurate controls. Than we get the move and people whine that it's TOO delicate and not 'game-like' enough. I will now dub these people 'Goldilocks gamers'.
Sheesh.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

The writing isn't great either, the game begins with Trejo looking at you in a basement gym saying, "So you want to be a fighter?" in the most cliché way.
I love how you reviewed the writing of a Move fighting game. I agree too. I also hate the writing in Wii Fit and Pong.
When a game features a cinematic training session I think it's perfectly fair to review the writing.

Ah, I see. So the game made the mistake of using real people rather than mannequins. Because if it used mannequins, then it would've been fine. I didn't know that's how writing is judged.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Unhappy Crow said:
Man, The Fight's punches are ridiculous. All that talk about this game being hardcore and the controls are annoying and the combat is laughable.
You mean boxers don't awkwardly half hug half slap their opponents with their wrists? Everything I thought I knew has been a lie!

Testsubject909

Jan 18, 2010
You know, as a guy who does know how to fight and who is interested in a fighting simulator, I have to keep asking.

"Is the Move all that accurate and are the controls responsive enough that I don't have to adjust a split second back to properly react and attack my opponents?"

I keep hearing complaints but most of the time, I never see a view of the reviewer actually playing the game, so often time, I'm left with the vague impression that it's just the reviewer who doesn't know how to throw a punch...

In this case, I can see the definite lag in response. It's a bit of a shame that it's present, but in the end, this nevertheless still means that I'd need to try it myself. I've never had to actually scale back my timing a split second when it came to things like that so... It'd be interesting to see how well it goes.

That and, in all the videos I've seen, all the punches, even in this one, seem rather... as someone else put it. Rather sissy like. There's little speed in the punch, little impact from what I can see (despite the opponent's head flying). So... yeah. I can only hope it's demoed somewhere in a shop nearby.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

Ah, I see. So the game made the mistake of using real people rather than mannequins. Because if it used mannequins, then it would've been fine. I didn't know that's how writing is judged.
I can't tell if you are trolling or if it just went way over your head.

Either way, good day to you sir =)

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

Haha, I love how those are the only two options that you can think of. But, I just wanted to make sure that reviewing writing for a game is because it made a slight effort to not just be boring. I'm looking forward to how the writer will review a Mario game in its writing department.

And honestly, I really don't mind this reviewer reviewing the fighting game on its writing, since every writer write differently. I just want to see some sense of consistency. If this game is reviewed for writing, I hope that the next Sonic, Kirby, Pacman, Dance Central, Rock Band, Mario Soccer, etc will be reviewed for their writing as well.

And yes. good day to me haha.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

Haha, I love how those are the only two options that you can think of. But, I just wanted to make sure that reviewing writing for a game is because it made a slight effort to not just be boring. I'm looking forward to how the writer will review a Mario game in its writing department.

And honestly, I really don't mind this reviewer reviewing the fighting game on its writing, since every writer write differently. I just want to see some sense of consistency. If this game is reviewed for writing, I hope that the next Sonic, Kirby, Pacman, Dance Central, Rock Band, Mario Soccer, etc will be reviewed for their writing as well.

My point earlier was the difference between this game and Sonic, Kirby, Pacman, Dance Central, Rock Band, Mario Soccer, etc, is that The Fight has an in-game cinematic tutorial. All the games you listed have little, if any, writing to them at all, let alone cut scenes with dialogue. That's the reason writing in those games isn't held to a higher standard like it is in this case.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
The qualm I have with Move so far in relation to fps's is how jittery the movements are. I got the Move opening day and I'm lending it to friends so they can try it, but when the MAG update dropped, I downloaded it. Move on MAG is GARBAGE. I couldn't even give it a chance it was so unintuitive with little sensitivity controls that I just gave up. Plus at that same time they revamped the skill system. Good thing I was borrowing MAG. The Move Sports Champions has been fun with friends, but we really haven't seen the Move hit its stride yet.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

My point earlier was the difference between this game and Sonic, Kirby, Pacman, Dance Central, Rock Band, Mario Soccer, etc, is that The Fight has an in-game cinematic tutorial. All the games you listed have little, if any, writing to them at all, let alone cut scenes with dialogue. That's the reason writing in those games isn't held to a higher standard like it is in this case.
That's interesting. I played several Mario, Sonic, Kirby games, and if I remember correctly, they all start with a cinematic and Kirby definitely has cut scenes with dialogue. Maybe I'm just imagining things. I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. Also, Wii Fit has cinematic tutorial before every session as well, yeah Wii Fit also has terrible writing in its tutorials. The only difference between Wii Fit's tutorial and The Fight's tutorials is that The Fight's tutorial has spoken words, whereas Wii Fit uses plain text sometimes.

I'm just quite amused that you're justifying reviewing the narrative in a game's tutorial.

Anyways, happy belated Thanksgiving.

PS. I like how you mentioned that the difference is that there's very little writing in other games, which is to say that a review for writing depends on how long the writing is. So, games games who have 200 lines of dialogue = review-worthy, whereas games with 199 lines of dialogue is not review worthy. Who gets to set the cut off point? Where is the cutoff point? Or is it some arbitrary thing that depends on the mood of the author that day?

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
That's interesting. I played several Mario, Sonic, Kirby games, and if I remember correctly, they all start with a cinematic and Kirby definitely has cut scenes with dialogue.
I haven't played the new Kirby game, so you might be right about that.

The Mario and Sonic games I played all had opening cinematics of about 1 or 2 minutes, and none of them had any dialogue. Again, that's much less writing than a video tutorial featuring a semi-famous actor.

ThisNewGuy said:
Maybe I'm just imagining things. I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. Also, Wii Fit has cinematic tutorial before every session as well, yeah Wii Fit also has terrible writing in its tutorials. The only difference between Wii Fit's tutorial and The Fight's tutorials is that The Fight's tutorial has spoken words, whereas Wii Fit uses plain text sometimes.
No, actually the Wii Fit tutorial is quite well written for what it needs to be. It's clear, succinct, and matches the rest of the game's tone. Most importantly, it doesn't draw attention to itself.

ThisNewGuy said:
I'm just quite amused that you're justifying reviewing the narrative in a game's tutorial.
And I'm quite amused that you don't see why this game was setting itself up to have its tutorial panned in the review.

And let's get something straight too: the game didn't get a bad review because of the tutorial. Apparently it was already bad, and the tutorial was just another failure in a long string of bad choices by the developers.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
That's interesting. I played several Mario, Sonic, Kirby games, and if I remember correctly, they all start with a cinematic and Kirby definitely has cut scenes with dialogue.
I haven't played the new Kirby game, so you might be right about that.

The Mario and Sonic games I played all had opening cinematics of about 1 or 2 minutes, and none of them had any dialogue. Again, that's much less writing than a video tutorial featuring a semi-famous actor.

ThisNewGuy said:
Maybe I'm just imagining things. I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. Also, Wii Fit has cinematic tutorial before every session as well, yeah Wii Fit also has terrible writing in its tutorials. The only difference between Wii Fit's tutorial and The Fight's tutorials is that The Fight's tutorial has spoken words, whereas Wii Fit uses plain text sometimes.
No, actually the Wii Fit tutorial is quite well written for what it needs to be. It's clear, succinct, and matches the rest of the game's tone. Most importantly, it doesn't draw attention to itself.

ThisNewGuy said:
And I'm quite amused that you don't see why this game was setting itself up to have its tutorial panned in the review.

And let's get something straight too: the game didn't get a bad review because of the tutorial. Apparently it was already bad, and the tutorial was just another failure in a long string of bad choices by the developers.
In all honesty, I really don't care all that much how a review is written. If you feel like reviewing the narrative of a fighting game's tutorial, that's fine with me. I'm just pointing out that you are reviewing the narrative of a fight game's tutorial. That's all.

P.S. Wii Fit's tutorial's narrative is much worse since it really doesn't even have a narrative. It really was just "do this, then do this, you're fat, ok go." If I wrote that on my English paper, I'm sure to fail horribly. Whereas if I wrote something along the lines of The Fight, I just might get the lowest passing grade. If you really want to judge tutorials' narrative, then having narrative should be better than having no narrative.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
P.S. Wii Fit's tutorial's narrative is much worse since it really doesn't even have a narrative. It really was just "do this, then do this, you're fat, ok go." If I wrote that on my English paper, I'm sure to fail horribly. Whereas if I wrote something along the lines of The Fight, I just might get the lowest passing grade. If you really want to judge tutorials' narrative, then having narrative should be better than having no narrative.
Actually having a narrative is not automatically better than not having a narrative. Writing in the real world is all about having the correct tone and form for what you're trying to do. Writing the text of Wii Fit for your English paper would probably earn you an F, but that's because it's not an English paper. Writing the text of Wii Fit for a casual exercise game will probably get you good pay from your boss and maybe even a raise. Heck, Wii Fit was actually praised by some reviewers for it's light-hearted tone, which makes it a lot better writing than what you see in The Fight.

In short:

The writing for Wii Fit is simple and friendly. It perfectly matches what the game is trying to be. The writing for The Fight is hokey and cliched. It conflicts directly with the overall "badass" tone of the game. The Fight would've been much better off without the "story" in the tutorial section, whereas the text in Wii Fit actually reinforces the charm of the game. That's why Wii Fit has better writing than The Fight.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
Actually having a narrative is not automatically better than not having a narrative. Writing in the real world is all about having the correct tone and form for what you're trying to do. Writing the text of Wii Fit for your English paper would probably earn you an F, but that's because it's not an English paper. Writing the text of Wii Fit for a casual exercise game will probably get you good pay from your boss and maybe even a raise. Heck, Wii Fit was actually praised by some reviewers for it's light-hearted tone, which makes it a lot better writing than what you see in The Fight.

In short:

The writing for Wii Fit is simple and friendly. It perfectly matches what the game is trying to be. The writing for The Fight is hokey and cliched. It conflicts directly with the overall "badass" tone of the game. The Fight would've been much better off without the "story" in the tutorial section, whereas the text in Wii Fit actually reinforces the charm of the game. That's why Wii Fit has better writing than The Fight.
Ahahaha, this is awesome. Good job man. Congrats on reviewing the writing of fighting game's tutorial. I love how reviewers never think that what they're doing may be remotely wrong. It's always the reader's fault. Again, I don't really care about people's opinions on what's good and what's bad, since that depends on taste. But if you're going to review a tutorial's writing for one fighting game, then maybe you should also review the tutorials' writing for all fighting games.

You're arguing that my opinion is just wrong, which is funny coming from a gaming journalists who always play the "it's my opinion" card (I don't know if you do it, but almost every journalists do it). While I'm just pointing out the inconsistency of reviews just to smear a particular game.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

In short:

Ahahaha, this is awesome. Good job man. Congrats on reviewing the writing of fighting game's tutorial. I love how reviewers never think that what they're doing may be remotely wrong. It's always the reader's fault. Again, I don't really care about people's opinions on what's good and what's bad, since that depends on taste. But if you're going to review a tutorial's writing for one fighting game, then maybe you should also review the tutorials' writing for all fighting games.

You're arguing that my opinion is just wrong, which is funny coming from a gaming journalists who always play the "it's my opinion" card (I don't know if you do it, but almost every journalists do it). While I'm just pointing out the inconsistency of reviews just to smear a particular game.
*whooosh* =)

Reviews are consistent. Anytime you see a tutorial with the production values of the one in The Fight, it's usually mentioned in the review. I still don't understand why this is so surprising to you.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:
boholikeu said:
ThisNewGuy said:

In short:

*whooosh* =)

Reviews are consistent. Anytime you see a tutorial with the production values of the one in The Fight, it's usually mentioned in the review. I still don't understand why this is so surprising to you.
Exactly, so The Fight's fault is having a higher production value in its tutorials than other games. Got it. Fighting games should always just not have tutorials or single players at all just to avoid being reviewed. Fight Night also has high production value in its tutorials (it only lacks cinematic, but it also has a coach and commentary), but nothing in the reviews even come close to talking about the writing in its tutorials.

Also, Cataclysm emphasizes its narrative more than The Fight, but the review also didn't mention how the writing was.

P.S. I think I should make it clear that production value includes other things besides cut scenes, in case you didn't already know.