Review: Red Steel 2

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: Red Steel 2

It may have taken a few years, but the Wii finally has a game that gets motion-controlled swordplay right.

Read Full Article

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Huh, might actually pick this one up then. I really like stylised games, and if it makes good use of the wii controller, well it's better that than collecting dust oh the shelf.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I love this game. Advice to anyone who picks this up: set the sword swinging to 'relaxed'. You'll thank me later.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So they actually took one of the worst games, gave it a new gloss and made it awesome?

Well, certainly might give it a shot...anything involving a katana and actually making it move properly (Without risk of lopping off my hand) is shweeeett!

Jul 9, 2008
Looks like a lot of fun. Lately, I've only been using my Wii to play Gamecube games like Wind Waker and Melee. It'll be nice to be able to play a real Wii game again.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I played Red Steel recently and I really liked the swordplay.

It's just such a shame there was all that FECKIN GUNPLAY WHICH SUCKED BALLS..

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I just got this game uesterday and it's pretty fun. It plays like a first person Devil May Cry which is really cool. The GTE was annoying.

It is a very RSI-inducing game though.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Picked this up a couple of days ago and it's great so far.I'd recommend it to anyone that has a Wii.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
Sweet, sweet game.
The only thing I personally would have changed would have been the inclusion of a "survival" mode.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I've got the "exclusive pre-order pack" with the solid metal branded Red Steel 2 bullet, art book and four additional, instantly unlockable weapons. My favourites being the Cord Industries Barracuda .357 AMP semi-auto pistol and the Kuro No Ken katana, although the Nihonto Hana is also very pretty and the Tataro .357 revolver is nice too.

I'm not entirely sold on the response time of the moves. It seems every time I try to do a combo everything's half a second slower and I end up getting stabbed a lot, also whenever you use the sword you seem to be stuck facing in the same direction from your last strike when you try to string different strikes together, which is annoying when you're trying to break open boxes to get money for weapons upgrades and suchlike. You can move once the strike has ended and it's possible to strafe and/or dash-strafe but it does feel like you're frozen facing forward until you stop swinging.

It's led me to abandon the game for a day or two while I get to grips with Blazblu: Calamity Trigger and complete all the modes before I kick my brother's ass at it when he comes back from Germany.

The game does have a pretty fluid combat system, however, and I think the problem isn't on the game side of things but rather the position of my TV, I think it'll be more responsive when I finally get the wall-mounted LCD HDTV/Blue Ray/DVD which is yet to be delivered.

On a side note, if anyone has got the game already; do you know the location of all the wanted posters? If there's a site or youtube video showing where to find them I'd be very grateful for a link. Thanks.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I've been skeptical about this game ever since I saw it in action at E3 '09, but every review I've read of it has exceeded my expectations. I'll be giving it a try once I get home, though I'm not really sold on a purchase just yet.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
I love this game. Advice to anyone who picks this up: set the sword swinging to 'relaxed'. You'll thank me later.
I'd say the opposite :p
Set it to Athletic and really challenge yourself, I found on regular that anything stronger than a wrist flick came up as a heavy blow. Having that set to Athletic and the difficulty on Ninja (Wahay for non-generic difficulty settings) makes the game a real challenge.

OT: Great review! I am absolutlely in love with the game, it has rekindled my love of the Wii and made me anticipate No More Heroes 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Monster Hunter Tri all the more.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Like the Mythbusters have proven, you can in reality shine shit.

Nice review. I may consider buying it. That is, after I buy Monster Hunter 3.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Heh, now this and other M. I'm almost curious about getting a wii again..

But still a console needs more than 2 games on it that are exclusive that I like for me to buy it.