Review: Skate 3

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
Hard to get past the cheesy, over the top voice work. But I don't agree that skating and sports raise the bar because people do it. There are actual marines that do marine stuff, and I doubt that it's any different in space. Does somehow being in space change the way you shoot a guy? The bar raises with competence, not because there are people to tell you how it's done. And it is not a good idea to critique a game in a genre you've never liked. Yahtzee does it, but that's just because he's just one person. I'm sure that there are several people at the escapist that can give a better review. If I were reviewing Skate 3 I wouldn't be able to give it a competent score because skating games are not my thing and no matter how good it is my response would be, meh. Also, throwing yourself off a cliff to see what bones you can break is like seeing you numbers come up when you roll the dice. Completely lame unless there's money on the line.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I actually own this game. got it on the day it came it out after class. I love the Skate games. Even though it's more of a challenge than the Tony Hawk games, I still see myself enjoying EA's Skate 1, 2, and 3.

PS: The Hall of Meat is more funner when you crash into pedestrians.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
tendo82 said:
The city in this game is a failure.
Yeah, I gotta disagree 100% with you.

The number of spots and lines in P.C. outnumber those in Skate 1. By a lot. It's insane. I felt like you did when I first got the game. Now every place I look I see a line, a spot, or something I could modify in to a line or spot by using the object dropper.

I think the city is perfect.

Rheyvin

Feb 4, 2010
Leave it to a sports game to make me wince at virtual human injury. STill looks like it would be worth playing.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Skopintsev said:
If hey fixed it where I don't walk around like a robot, I might pick it up. Skate 2 was pretty rough
Yep, it's fixed now, moving around is much smoother than in Skate 2.

I'm a big fan of the Skate series, as a skater/snowboarder I used to play Tony Hawk games, which became more and more ridiculous with every new installment. I got Skate 3 two days ago and it's awesome, the controls feel a bit more refined, I like the difficulty settings and also the fact that you can first own the spot (do a basic trick) or kill it (do a specific hard trick), although I would welcome the option to be able to kill it from the beginning as I love the challenge of landing the specific trick. Also the seemless integration of online mode is excellent as are the more varied challenges.

There are some complaints from my side:
The city is a bit of a letdown to be honest, most than anything I feel lost, exploration seems a bit pointless. Why can I see my current location on the challenge map? Also the tiny radar seems quite useless, so I just teleport myself to all the challenges.

Also the story seems a bit detached, I liked the invitations to events via phone in Skate 1/2, it just felt more realistic and immersive, now the sense of structure and progression seems gone with tons of challenges unlocked from the beginning.

Eerors

Jan 31, 2010
It looks really entertaining but 'Ow!' at the broken bones! I don't have a games console sadly so I shall never know this joy :(

The falling off the skateboard looks very wrong though. Surely the characters should put out their hands or something....

On a side note, reviewer guy? Did you ever do any any voice work for Microsoft? You sound like the instructor off of flight sim 2004.
If you were, thank you for being so patient with my crashings ^_^

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow, Russ... you have issues... that whole enjoying people hurling them selves off the cliff thing... you know I know a brilliant psychologist. Hahaha just kidding, I'll give the game a try I'm pretty much on your level as far as not really liking Skating goes... but if your not a fan and it's impressed you then well I guess I could give the demo a shot.