Review SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I complained about it when I saw an announcement on here about it.

I was expecting The Escapist to sh** down my throat and deliver a review that shows it in a good light and prove me wrong.

Thank god I was wrong.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Greg Tito said:

Operational command of bland.

Read Full Article
Thank you so much as i agreed with u 100% i realy did not like this and the only reason im not selling this game is for the multiplayer

the point which made me just go uhh was in the first stealth mission, i was hiding in the light and my stealth meeter was telling me i was invicible!

this is not SOCOM, it is call of duty in 3rd person!

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
VonBrewskie said:
Old Soccomer weighing in here. Socom 4 is worth four stars. It's pretty fun. If you've played the single player of the first three games, you'll see similarities instantly in how you have to be careful with your instructions to your squad. The AI isn't mega-retard like they used to be, but they sure aren't geniuses. I've run through single player on normal and veteran now; I can see why some of the old-timers are pissed. It's a new game. It's not the old Soccom. Zipper should really just make Soccom 2 HD so the old guys (like me) will quit whining for it. Soccom 4 follows in the tradtion of Soccom 3 in that it breaks from the style of the first two games and attempts to create a unique experience. I think it succeeds. It's not brilliant by any stretch, but it's not as mediocre as all of the two and three star reviews would have you believe. Now if only they could get the damn PSN back up...I want to play more bomb squad...
i think the problem was that they changed the formula too much
they took a gamble but it didnt pay off

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
xchurchx said:
Greg Tito said:

Operational command of bland.

Read Full Article
Thank you so much as i agreed with u 100% i realy did not like this and the only reason im not selling this game is for the multiplayer

the point which made me just go uhh was in the first stealth mission, i was hiding in the light and my stealth meeter was telling me i was invicible!

this is not SOCOM, it is call of duty in 3rd person!
Thats odd, for me if I even stood near a light my bar spiked. Must have been a glitch.

Also selling the game for the multi? You do know Socom has never been known to have good SPs?

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Watch the review video supplement 2:45-2-57
Compare to http://asia.gamespot.com/ps3/action/socom-4/video/6308721/socom-4-us-navy-seals-video-review?tag=summary%3Bwatch-review
from 1:54-2:24
and be amused

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
The beta was very fun, Your opinion sucks.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

OT: Really good thing I refunded the money I paid to pre-order this game.
I put it towards LA Noire. I think I made the right decision!

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
Andy of Comix Inc said:
JThai said:
WanderingFool said:
teqrevisited said:
Why must they now resort to developing CoD clones?
Because COD sells... Im going to go cry in the shower as I try to wash the stench of this truth off of me...
Portal will get that realisation right off i've found. I've concluded that because of this game and homefront, my new destination if i had a time machine would be right back to when the unreal engine was built so i can destroy that idea before it rears its hideous, samey, uncreative head
Hold on, what's wrong with Unreal Engine games? I mean, Unreal Engine 3 looks the same, but it's powered gems like Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, hell, even Gears of War was pretty original and varied for its time. Unreal Engine is an overused engine, for sure, but it's cheap to license (or so I'm told) and outputs some damn fine results - and I've barely noticed that there are more gritty first-person war shooters on Unreal Engine than there are games of any other genre.
I apologise, in creating games such as arkham asylum, bioshock and gears of war the unreal engine is used very wisely, i also found out they use the UE for the Mass Effect Series so im looking like quite the dumbass now :/
However, with creative games such as those listed above, The Unreal Engine does sound like its quite useful but its just being used to make some good games and a bigger percentage of cash-cows (FPS, Action). Arkham Asylum makes me think that this engine CAN be used to make great horror, but companies are just sticking to their safe zone, which i think is a real shame (speaking as a horror whore).

But going back to my original statement, i now say i was jumping the gun heavily (which i promised myself i wouldnt do).

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
also, im suprised that was the PS3 version...it looks shithouse. Sure you didnt score a PS2 version by mistake? ;)

Apr 28, 2008
One Hit Noob said:
Irridium said:
One Hit Noob said:
Irridium said:
DAVEoftheDEAD said:
The beta was very fun, Your opinion sucks.
Sure, the beta may have been fun, but you can't exactly review the multiplayer portion when the Playstation Network is down. And simply reviewing the beta would be silly since, well, its a beta, and not what the final multiplayer would be.
Look up Minecraft.
The Minecraft beta is still available to play. The SOCOM 4 one isn't.
Of course, the Minecraft beta is still available to play, but that doesn't answer my unimplied question. In my opinion, you just stated that Minecraft can be reviewable because it is available to play. But according to this statement,
And simply reviewing the beta would be silly since, well, its a beta
something is obviously wrong.
I never said it was OK to review Minecraft. In fact, I'd say that Minecraft shouldn't be reviewed, since it isn't the final version. My point is that reviewing something that is over and done with and using it as a review for the final version of the product is just silly.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Art Axiv said:
Greg Tito said:

Operational command of bland

Read Full Article
So Greg, are you playing the game after you're done with the review?
I might try the multiplayer when the PSN comes back online but other than that, probably not.

Greg

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well that's a damn shame, but not unexpected given the current market saturation and follw the leader strategy rampant in shooter development.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Harsh but honest. Escapist, I commend you.

Never played the SOCOM games but I've been itching for something deeper than Call of Duty. Guess I'll have to keep waiting.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
You slam it and then give it a 3?... In fairness I do still get the point, I won't be buying it ;)

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
xchurchx said:
VonBrewskie said:
Old Soccomer weighing in here. Socom 4 is worth four stars. It's pretty fun. If you've played the single player of the first three games, you'll see similarities instantly in how you have to be careful with your instructions to your squad. The AI isn't mega-retard like they used to be, but they sure aren't geniuses. I've run through single player on normal and veteran now; I can see why some of the old-timers are pissed. It's a new game. It's not the old Soccom. Zipper should really just make Soccom 2 HD so the old guys (like me) will quit whining for it. Soccom 4 follows in the tradtion of Soccom 3 in that it breaks from the style of the first two games and attempts to create a unique experience. I think it succeeds. It's not brilliant by any stretch, but it's not as mediocre as all of the two and three star reviews would have you believe. Now if only they could get the damn PSN back up...I want to play more bomb squad...
i think the problem was that they changed the formula too much
they took a gamble but it didnt pay off
Many agree with you. I respect the Socom franchise, (not enough to spell it correctly apparently, d'oh!), for trying new ideas out. People complained loudly about the vehicles and sprawling maps in 3, rememeber? They still played though. (I'm not trying to shut you down or anything buddy. Just wanted to mention that because context is often lost in these posts! ;p) I think that 4 maintains certain core feelings of gameplay that have been there since the first two games, but not the original mechanics themselves. For many, the mechanics are kind of the point, aren't they? For example, I still feel the thrill when there are two or three enemies left in a suppression map and I have to sneak from cover to cover to avoid them, before leaping out from behind and slaughtering them. (More frequently, I am the one that is ambushed, but even then, the thrill of avoidance is there.)You just don't get that same thrill from any other game, IMO. Still, as an old soccomer, I can say that I miss the old mechanics. What happened to the basics? Why doesn't my reticle bounce around when I fire like it used to in the first two games? Where are my awkward, cylindrical HE grenades? What the hell is this cover system? I understand that Zipper is trying to help the game appeal to a wider audience. Fine. But there is a reason that you have rabid fans Zipper. There is a reason they keep hounding you for Socom 2 HD. The mechanics in the first two games were unlike anything else on the market. (Still are.) Why couldn't Zipper have put the old mechanics in the new game? Still not sure about that. They made Socom 2, it was a masterpiece, and they moved on. I don't think it was for the better.

TL;DR:
Socom 4 isn't as mediocre as everyone says it is. I miss Socom 2. Zipper, make Socom 2 HD for your old fans, and so the new folks can see what us old-timers are bitching about. Also, PSN Y U NO DO ANYTHING ANYMORE, EVAAAR?

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
SemiHumanTarget said:
Harsh but honest. Escapist, I commend you.

Never played the SOCOM games but I've been itching for something deeper than Call of Duty. Guess I'll have to keep waiting.
The game isn't as mediocre as this review claims. It's not an epic win by any stretch, but the co-op is fun, (if not difficult as hell on veteran), and the multi-player is not like anything you'll experience in COD. (Play on Classic mode in a room with the cover system turned off, and you'll see what I mean.) Meh. Seems like only the die-hards like myself bought it first day. Wait for a bit and get it when it's cheaper, if you're not willing to take the risk. I'm sure there will be cheaper copies on eBay soon. It's a fun game though.