Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

Read Full Article

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
If only he was actually "on the fun from his former master". Oh how I agree with this. Should have been good, but isn't. At all. It is a trial in self inflicted pain.

EDIT: I miss Kyle too.

Jul 22, 2009
I'll probably try this out when my brother inevitably buys it.

I just hope they fixed the stupid 'force shields' and that we don't get another disgustingly bad quick time event... *shudder* it was so horrible.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Go play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast instead. It may be eight years old but it's still better at being what The Force Unleashed is trying to be.
Amen to that, I just played through it a couple months ago. Heck, there are even full multiplayer servers after all these years.

Also, twin lightsaber all the way. All those double lightsaber chumps are just trying to move spam you to death. But the twin lightsaber... that is the dance of death baby.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
For what it's worth, whenever I play Knights of the Old Republic, my Jedi always takes the Duelist talents.

Because yes, I only ever use one Lightsaber.

OT: Yeah, as much as I was looking forward to this game, ( And god I really was, I WANTED it to be good ), after I tried the demo, from what you're saying this is exactly what I expected it to be. It felt like a cash grab.

I think that problem is partly with Starkiller. How the hell do you sustain someone that powerful in that universe? He'd fit better in the Old Republic where you could have him against any number of other, somewhat similarly powerful adversaries and in so doing, GIVE him a challenge! But even in the demo when Starkiller is running from Vader, I kept thinking, "Dude. You destroyed Vader last time you guys met, why the hell are you running?" And it just completely broke immersion for me.

Ah well.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Elementlmage said:
Go play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast instead. It may be eight years old but it's still better at being what The Force Unleashed is trying to be.
Amen to that, I just played through it a couple months ago. Heck, there are even full multiplayer servers after all these years.
I plan on getting my Dark Forces fix on Steam for Christmas. Perhaps the best series of Star Wars games ever. And Kyle Katarn? There will never be another. Especially when he starts rocking the beard.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Usually I don't rise up to 'Am I the only one who...' lines, because I find them far too overbearing. But in your case, and considering the topic, I'll make an exception.

No. You are certainly not the only one. Kyle Katarn still holds up for me as probably my all time favourite Jedi. I still remember when me and my brother finally got the lightsaber how we took turns at the controls at taking swings at those stones and then the bar fight...man was that epic. The only two Jedi characters that can really compete with him are Zayne Carrick from the KOTOR comics and just maybe Obi-Wan...but other than that...naw. Kyle was the man...and his Bryar Pistol too. :)

That said, I actually like TFU's story...it actually went pretty damn well. But yeah...I mean...after taking on Vader and the Emperor in the final battles...I agree, I can't see how TFU 2's boss fights could really get any kind of rise out of me at this point. Plus I kinda liked TFU's ending - that you die, but through your death you allow the Alliance to be born. Story could've ended right there and then as far as I'm concerned but whelp... *shrug*

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Yeah, the beginning of Jedi Outcast is so obnoxious but once you get the lightsaber... it doesn't get any better than that.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
I miss Kyle as well. What ever happened to that style of Star Wars game? Jedi outcast II was the first real game I ever bought. I played the game to death. I can't say how many times I replayed it. Why can't they take the style from that game at least. Eight years old and it still beats the crap out of the Force Unleashed.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
I found the graphics really good and sound was great too.. rest of the actual game was crap. All you had to do was spam the one force bolt attack over and over and it cleared groups of stormtroopers with ease.

Game is lame

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Steve Butts said:
No, you are not. And you are also not the only one sick of all the "Dual Wielded Lightsabers BRO!" crap that's been getting more and more pervasive in anything Star Wars related.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I still love it regardless. It's an incredibly fun game.

I'm also one of those oddballs that ranks the original Force Unleashed right below Knights of the Old Republic. :p

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I never liked the jedi one bit to begin with. THey are boring invincible heroes imho... thee only thing that can be seen as a threat to them are only other jedis or random god-like warriors.

Im more likely to cheer when a basic stromtrooper do something smart (like not engaging a jedi in melee with his gun, use cover ect), than seeing a jedi do another of his more or less flashy trick to win the day.. again.

Then again, the only SW game i liked was Battlefront2 when i was playing as a clone trooper with my friend.

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
The setting, scale, and art was wonderful. The combat options themselves were solid, if a bit sluggish to what I would prefer. The story and actual game flow...pretty mediocre to bad. This game seems ripe to be an example of bad design decisions that just ruin a solid premise.

Apr 28, 2008
Huh, and with the first game it was the cruddy controls yet great story that drove the game.

Interesting.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I wouldn't say the older Jedi games were that great comparably...

but I feel like FU2 fixes some things (gameplay mainly) that FU1 failed at, even if it did lose some other things tho

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Jandau said:
Steve Butts said:
No, you are not. And you are also not the only one sick of all the "Dual Wielded Lightsabers BRO!" crap that's been getting more and more pervasive in anything Star Wars related.
Dual Wielded Lightsabers aren't really that much of a problem for me and neither are the doublebladed ones for that matter. Then again, I guess it could stem from me loving the 2D Clone Wars Assaj Ventress fight with Anakin so damn much.

Nah, it's the 'reverse lightsaber hold' that rattles my begonias. Aight fine...I guess Starkiller started it so it's aight if he uses it...but when you start seeing Revan using it on the recent SWTOR timeline vids...it kinda starts to REALLY irk you that they'd begin to assign it to all the 'really badass' Jedi and Sith from now on heh...yeah, I sure hope they don't. ;)