Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
One thing the "Video review supplement" showed me, was during the space battle scene. There's a rebel transport. What is that doing in a space battle? And why is it just sitting there doing nothing. It's half-way behind the frontline and if my memory of the expanded universe is true then that transport should AT LEAST be trying to land on some planet nearby.

For gosh sakes the things are hardly even armed! Much less built for a large scale space skirmish with star destroyers and the like.

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Elementlmage said:
Go play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast instead. It may be eight years old but it's still better at being what The Force Unleashed is trying to be.
Amen to that, I just played through it a couple months ago. Heck, there are even full multiplayer servers after all these years.
I plan on getting my Dark Forces fix on Steam for Christmas. Perhaps the best series of Star Wars games ever. And Kyle Katarn? There will never be another. Especially when he starts rocking the beard.
I still think the JK games still remain the best experience of combat as a Jedi, at least in terms of an action game (KOTOR was pretty damn good). I've just played TFU for the first time (admittedly on the Wii) but the combat in Jedi Outcast and Academy has so much more fluency and grace. The lightsaber actually felt like a weapon with weight and power, unlike the magic glowsticks that Starkiller carries. The fights in TFU feel like their driven by set animations, whereas those in Jedi Knight are driven by the player's skill.
It also helps that JK has great main character. Kyle could fight off the apprentice with his shoelaces tied together wielding the stun baton from the starting levels of Outcast. And blindfolded.

Jafe_45

Mar 28, 2009
Fabian Stetter said:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^
Actually his name is Galen Marek... i think

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Glad this game sucked. I hate the Starkiller character, I hate this story, I hate everything that has to do with ramping up Jedi powers. They keep making them more and more powerful and stupid. Before Jedi were vulnerable, they had weaknesses, and even the best of them could go down to a well placed shot or explosion. For some reason Lucas Arts seems to love pandering to fanboys who think that Jedi should be unstoppable Juggernauts that can't be taken down. Same goes for Mandalorians, who were cool, and are now getting overhyped.

The Star Wars Universe needs to be toned down a lot, and bring things back to a low roar. The whole reason the first story was Epic was because they were small not so powerful people doing big things!!!! Making things more powerful doesn't equate to more epic Lucas, and LucasArts, please learn that.

Edit: Go back and read up on your Joseph Campbell and then try again.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Steve Butts said:
Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?
Every time there's a topic about SW games I always mention Kyle Katarn. He's the best SW character ever created. He's actually likable and his actions make sense which is not something you often see in SW universe.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Steve Butts said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ahem.

Seriously though, I can't believe they fucked this up. I would slay a mermaid for KotOR 3 (not that I'm not looking forward to TOR in it's own right, but it's not the same). Let's face it, when it comes to Star Wars games Lucas Arts should only be allowed to lease the license, not make anything from it. Their development studio is simply sub-par.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I played the demo and wasn't really impressed. It looked good but it just raised the question, 'why does my lightsaber cut off limbs now?'

Really my biggest issue (feel free to call me a fanboy for this) is that you can't use the Jedi Mind Trick to make someone kill themselves. Half the time I used it, the Stormtroopers would jump off of platforms. It's cool to get them to fight for you but there's no way (in the demo at least) of getting them to fight for you all the time.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Huh, I'm a bit shocked really, I played the demo and the game seemed to hold a lot of promise. I do get the feeling that maybe you're being a bit harsh for whatever reason but I think you've put me off buying despite that. I'll rent and if it's good I'll get it when the price comes down.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I didn't expect much from this one, as the first one was piss poor compared to good games.
And even my Star Wars fanboy-ism can't mellow me down to give this one a go.

Jedi Outcast brought it 8 years ago, now they struggle to get anything decent together with all the awesome tech we now have... so very sad.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I thought that Jedi Outcast was terrible. The shooting mechanics were awful, the weapons were boring, and you had to go through a ton of uninspired shooting levels to get to the fun lightsaber bits. *cue nerd rage*
On the other hand, I really enjoyed Force Unleashed 1 & 2.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Glad somebody else loves the Jedi Knight series. I remember my time in Jedi Academy multiplayer...a jawa character with a double bladed red lightsaber. Good times...
Anyway, it's kinda hard to take the story seriously if the protagonist could take the death star by himself. From a planet within weapon range. While blindfolded. *sigh* kids and their stupid uebermasculine power fantasies...

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Yeah, this is one of the problems with Jedis. It's the same with Superman. You want to give them a real sense that they can just breeze through ordinary challenges but still give them an obstacle worthy of their powers. Hitting that sweet spot between too tough and not nearly tough enough is what makes or breaks this type of game. Jedi Knight did it way better.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Much love for the underappreciated Death-Star-plan-stealing Kyle Katarn.

We need another Jedi Knight game. Seriously.

And oi, I always ended up using Dual Lightsabers on Jedi Academy. But I did that before it was cool.... :p

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Loonerinoes said:
Jandau said:
Steve Butts said:
No, you are not. And you are also not the only one sick of all the "Dual Wielded Lightsabers BRO!" crap that's been getting more and more pervasive in anything Star Wars related.
Dual Wielded Lightsabers aren't really that much of a problem for me and neither are the doublebladed ones for that matter. Then again, I guess it could stem from me loving the 2D Clone Wars Assaj Ventress fight with Anakin so damn much.

Nah, it's the 'reverse lightsaber hold' that rattles my begonias. Aight fine...I guess Starkiller started it so it's aight if he uses it...but when you start seeing Revan using it on the recent SWTOR timeline vids...it kinda starts to REALLY irk you that they'd begin to assign it to all the 'really badass' Jedi and Sith from now on heh...yeah, I sure hope they don't. ;)
Whaaat?!? That...they can't....Revan...oh my God. That's blasphemy. Horrible. This was a joke...right?

saito82

Oct 5, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Read Full Article
That caption made me really happy...glad to know there are others out there that still love Kyle Katarn :)

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Steve Butts said:
Yeah, the beginning of Jedi Outcast is so obnoxious but once you get the lightsaber... it doesn't get any better than that.
I liked Jedi Outcast :( Kyle Katarn was definitely the coolest protagenist in any star wars game.

This, like the previous one, is a game I'll get when it reaches the £5 bargin bin as its seems like a nice game to just weitch your brain off and torture mooks till your hearts content.