Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

soulsabr

Oct 9, 2008
jtesauro said:
OT: Yeah, as much as I was looking forward to this game, ( And god I really was, I WANTED it to be good ), after I tried the demo, from what you're saying this is exactly what I expected it to be. It felt like a cash grab.
This is George "Franchise-aside" Lucas we're talking about here so of course it's a cash grab.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah, the combat can get very repetitive and monotonous and is well draining. There doesn't seem to be any pacing or great variety in the game, just kill kill kill with a few force pull or push this block or platform here or there puzzle moment. I try and make a point of using as many different attacks as possible rather than just utilising the most tested and true attack against certain enemies, otherwise it would get really really tiresome. The boss fight with the massive creature, the Gorog, was also frustrating and repetitive; dodge, jump, lightning, dodge, lightning, dodge, jump, lightning etc etc and as this reviewer said well outstayed it's welcome.

I haven't finished the game yet but I foresee many of these observations remaining throughout if this review is anything to go buy.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I think it would have been intereting is you could switch between Single Saber, DOuble Saber, and Saber Staff... I would have loved that

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I found Kyle Katarn immensly annoying. Mission Vao all the fucking way. Zaalbar can go take a hike as well, the ungrateful ************.

The assassin droid takes the prize for 'favourite character' though.

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

Read Full Article
Kyle [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Katarn] is, was, and always will be the everyman's Jedi! the personal battle of light vs dark, the need for power that is unwanted. the difficulties of personality conflicts between him and Luke, and finally... the sheer utter awesomeness of choking out a dangling stormtrooper in front of you as a blaster-shield while tossing your saber behind him; taking out the other attackers and cutting him in half in the process. one lightsaber, a satchel full of thermal detonators, a trusty bryar pistol at my hip, and a disintegration rifle on my back... FEAR MY YELLOW BLADED FURRY JERREC!!

there are rumors of a new game staring Katarn... there were strict orders to not kill him off in the comics because it would ruin his... "potential of a new game"? i figure it will be announced a year or two after The Old Republic's release. i wouldn't mind if it was a COD style stormtrooper game where you were plying Katarn while he was in the academy fighting the rebels. i just can't get enough of his snarky demeanor. i believe it will actually be a game set vs the vong if it happens at all. according to the RPG supplements, he get's captured by them for a long time and Mara Jade comes to rescue him from a... SITH NEOPHYTE FORCE WIELDING VONG WITH AN UNKNOWN DARK MASTER... he is captured while following the force and Revan's footsteps into the unknown regions in search of an unknown threat. serious story potential in my opinion!

rason

Jul 22, 2009
Lol, he said butts. Also, I disagree about the Authenticity from a story point of view, aswell as how powerful the force powers are. Those two things make me feel like I am playing a REALLY well polished child's fan fiction. Also, Single Sabers are the only thing I ever wanted. Hate dual wielding.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
It's kinda not just about having supermen that make anything too easy due to their powers I think...another point is to make sure one sticks to a certain weakness that they might have.

Superman for example has kryptonite. Jedis on the other hand could've had things like mines or sonic weaponry that cannot be deflected back. I also liked ideas like Atton Rand in KOTOR 2 throwing up walls of emotions and managing to mess up their mind reading to a degree.

But then the point is to *stick* with these weaknesses through the gameplay rather than just mention them. I mean sure you get that +1 willpower bonus after Atton Rand teaches you but it won't make much of a difference against Traya forcekilling your ass in the end within the first 5 seconds on difficult, will it? On the other hand Jedi Outcast actually demonstrated such weaknesses a bit better. For example, in spite of being moreso about the lightsaber for you personally, there were still enemies armed with like...that flechette shotgun that you really couldn't block with your lightsaber - that was cool! Also yes - you could deflect the rockets back at opponents with force push. But you REALLY had to time it correctly: Too early or too late and that rocket would blow you to bits. :D So...yeah it was a fun challenge really.

So yeah...more of these weaknesses need to be expressed through the gameplay or such. It could be really fun in the end, except perhaps if you're one of those Jedi/Sith apologists who feels the need to trumpet that 'the force beats it all' in the end. *sigh* Lord knows there aren't enough of those around the SW fandom as it is. *rolls eyes*

Whaaat?!? That...they can't....Revan...oh my God. That's blasphemy. Horrible. This was a joke...right?
I wish it were hahah. Brace yourself,...this might hurt. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olBgZRcHnd0

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Well, I'm not one of those guys that lets a single review sway my opinion about something. When it all boils down, it's not a whether or not the game is good, but whether you, the player, enjoy it. Is this game lacking? Probably, but I played the demo and freaking loved it, so unless the low-points are monumental (like in X-Blades or something), I can overlook those just like I did in the first game.

Of course, I'm not speaking for everyone, but I'm not the type of person who bases his opinions off those of someone else.

Just saying.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Looks like I'll pick this game up, out of the bargain, just like I did with the first one - the story from the first one at least made up for the wonky controls.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Once again Lucas has failed to grasped that everyone stopped caring about the original story years ago...*sigh*

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
The strangest thing about Jedi Knight II is that I had played the first one, and in the end Kyle already knows how to use the Force powers, he already is kind of a Jedi. Then the second game begins and you're using a pistol again, just as in the beginning of the first. WTF?

Of course they made up some lame excuse for that, but why not start the game as a Jedi already? It would have made more sense, and it would eliminate the dull part of the game.

Once you become a Jedi, again, Jedi Knight II is excellent. The first Jedi Knight is not a bad game either, although it looks horribly dated now.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
I haven't played either of the Force Unleashed games. From watching the video supplement to this review, I can't help but feel annoyed by the way the protagonist wields his 'sabers. It just seems so impractical and only there for "style points"

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
there is really no reason not to have 2 light sabers, youve got a weapon that has no weight and can cut tho almost anything. Just having one is a bit pointless when you can have 2 since the only time you really need strength for it would be a duel and having a 2nd blade is usually a good thing if its light

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
God of Dante's Lord of Unleashed

Played the demo was annoyed that I can crumple a TIE Fighter but not a massive pole I threw them into....Oh those magical powers like Super Strength during a fart or Laser eyes during sex...

G-M0N3Y

Jul 8, 2010
I agree about Katarn. There really hasn't been a great Jedi game since him. About SW:TFU, at the very least, Starkiller wasn't as powerful in this game. He didn't take down a star destroyer or fight his way through the entirety of the Death Star. I feel as though, for a die hard SW fan, it is a must rent but that the difference in money spent from a purchase should be used buying the Jedi Academy games.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
The great thing about Kyle is his back story. He used to be a Stormtrooper. How awesome is that?!

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
I played the demo, instantly dissappointed. They seem to have lost the slightly darker tone from the first game and instead of allowing you to finish enemies your own way, but some enemy designs just seemed annoying and restrictive. They attempt at something cinematic but rely too heavily on scripted acts that just get monotonous. They try to break up the areas where you just maul stormtroopers i guess, and the dive off the building was pretty cool but most just seem boring to me. Probably won't pick this up, at least not for some time. Really dissapointed, wished i could have worked on it. I actually prefered him with one, they should let you choose next time. Lucasarts just always seems....off.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
No. No you're not the only one who still misses Kyle. Kyle was one of the first (fleshed out) video game heroes I grew up on.

And my inner nerd demands that I comment that old-school Star Wars about rebels versus the Empire will always be better than the recent incarnation of Star Wars, which ironically takes place before that, because the Jedi and Sith have been overdone now. The original movies would have sucked if everybody could use the force, am I right? Han Solo didn't need the force to be a badass, and neither did Kyle.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Fabian Stetter said:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^
I think Vader changed it for him, and it's a reference to Luke/Anakin's original last name (which was Starkiller). It was done away with because it sounded too dark, but I remember with TFU a few of the people working on the game mentioned that this was what they envisioned Luke to be like if he had joined up with Vader.

KotOR had a Bendak Starkiller on Taris.