Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Its a shame that both Force Unleashed games seem to be disappointing. Even though I am not a fan of the Star Wars universe, some of the games based on the IP were preety good (Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic) and Force Unleashed seemed to have an interesting premise.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I agree that we need a new and worthy addition in the Jedi Knight series.
The single player in those games were amazing and the multiplayer light saber fights and duels were a hit for YEARS at my LAN parties.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
Ekonk said:
I found Kyle Katarn immensly annoying. Mission Vao all the fucking way. Zaalbar can go take a hike as well, the ungrateful ************.

The assassin droid takes the prize for 'favourite character' though.
I loath Mission Vao with a Sith-like passion normally reserved for the likes of Jar-Jar Binks and Prequel Anakin.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Looking at the in-game video in the review supplement...does the frame rate really drop that significantly every time Starkiller goes into his double-saber hack combos? I mean, in the video the game slowed down noticeable every time. Not that I'm going to get this game with all the faults it has. Unless, of course, it gets a glowing letter of recommendation from my favorite game review source. Can't imagine why it would, though...

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
bismarck55 said:
Ekonk said:
I found Kyle Katarn immensly annoying. Mission Vao all the fucking way. Zaalbar can go take a hike as well, the ungrateful ************.

The assassin droid takes the prize for 'favourite character' though.
I loath Mission Vao with a Sith-like passion normally reserved for the likes of Jar-Jar Binks and Prequel Anakin.
I love Vao AND Katarn! :D

rory12345

Feb 9, 2010
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was such a brilliant game, played that to death. Also, the amount of mods for it are brilliant.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I prefer the starwars games that are less jedi-centric. Jedi are over played and boring.

KOTOR (I do like a good droid), Republic Commando...

Why make another force unleashed when they could have made a current gen Starwars Battlefronts?

There would be no 3 stars for that, more like 63 stars.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
Wow... tons of people love Kyle... (add +1 more like for me too)
Too bad about this game though... it looks pretty, but there are also some frame rate issues, which has always wracked my brain as to why they exist/make it through play testing.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Was there something weird going on with the quality of the video? Maybe on my end? It didn't look particularly spectacular, not that I mean to fixate on graphics but most mediocre (as I understood from this review) atleast look to cater the same graphics as the prequel and there seemed to be a bit of an issue with the framerate or something.

Meh, probably on my end since it wasn't mentioned.

Yeah, I agree that the two lightsabers seems a bit stupid, having one makes using the abilities look much better in my opinion. =]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
While I do love the lightsaber acrobatics in Outcast/Academy, the Force combos in TFU are really too good (and different) for the two series to be comparable.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Yeah, the beginning of Jedi Outcast is so obnoxious but once you get the lightsaber... it doesn't get any better than that.
It gets. In Jedi Academy IMO. That's Jedi Outcast with additional fun added, and even better lightsaber combat. And Kyle's there too.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The forced unleashed has no soul no creativity. Its a highly polished sanitized theme a bland film experience regurgitated as an interactive audio/visual thing... to many games these days are this.....

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
No, you're not the only one who misses Kyle Katarn. I miss him too.

If only we could get a proper Jedi Knight game to be released...

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I LOVED TFU up until the end, so I might still pick this up. All I care about is the physics!

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
I miss Kyle, too. I so looked forward to the original Force Unleashed, but as I didn't have any of the next gen systems, and it had no computer release for 2 years, it was a huge letdown, even when I did get to play it.

Naturally, I was dubious of this one, too, but it fails me, too. I have a great computer, meets the rec-req and then some, but the graphics still bug out on me, and there's even some funny glitches. My favorite so far is when he turns his sabers off, but they don't go fully off, burning a trail in the ground as I walk around. Some videos didn't even start, and others had no visual. The graphics often bugged out and disappeared, too. And I don't get the obsession developers have with Quick Time Events. They're not fun, they're repetitive.

I do miss Kyle. Jedi Outcast was a superb game. Hell, bring back Jaden Korr, even! Jedi Academy was one of my favorite games. It was the first time you got to choose what light saber style you wanted to the point of double or staff, or stick with the tried and true single. It had a (somewhat) non-linear storyline, epic saber battles, and an end boss worthy of the game, no matter which side you chose. (Personally, I think fighting Kyle was the hardest of the two. Bloody force heal!)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Man, I miss Outcast, played it again earlier this year, one hell of a great game. The way you controlled tyour lightsaber also felt so much better. Especially in duels, it was kick-ass to swing your lgihtsaber like a pro and remember to not let your guard down while getting a slash at your enemy.
Also, I didn't quite like the way Starkiller was holding his lightsaber in the first game, but then TFU2 was announced, with TWO lightsabers, held the same emo-loking way? no way...
If they make TFU3, will it have 3 lightsabers, all held the same stupid looking way?