Review: The Conduit

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
DISCLAIMER: I have yet to play The Conduit, so I am only going by ear on this.

I think The Conduit works best as a proof-of-concept game. It doesn't revolutionize the shooter genre in the slightest, but it does revolutionize the Wii shooter genre. It is a fully competent shooter on the Wii with great controls, good graphics, and a solid online multiplayer system. If anything, I feel like it's the kind of game that should've been available on the Wii a lot earlier in the system's life-span, so developers could've realized the Wii's potential sooner.

All of this being said, I can tell there's going to be one hell of a flamefest when the inevitable Zero Punctuation review gets here.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
The Conduit is the closest thing to a PC FPS I've ever seen on a console, as far as controls go. It's a bit rough around the edges in other areas, but it's an OK game.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
DISCLAIMER: I have yet to play The Conduit, so I am only going by ear on this.

I think The Conduit works best as a proof-of-concept game. It doesn't revolutionize the shooter genre in the slightest, but it does revolutionize the Wii shooter genre. It is a fully competent shooter on the Wii with great controls, good graphics, and a solid online multiplayer system. If anything, I feel like it's the kind of game that should've been available on the Wii a lot earlier in the system's life-span, so developers could've realized the Wii's potential sooner.

All of this being said, I can tell there's going to be one hell of a flamefest when the inevitable Zero Punctuation review gets here.
Which is exactly why I am going to review it before that comes. I'm not going to rush it, because I have nearly completed the game twice, so I pretty much know what I am going to say. But your points are correct.

EDIT: Why does everyone keep using that pre-alpha stage picture? You may as well use concept art, they are both as accurate of the final build as each other.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
You see, I've heard so many people saying "this is the first great FPS on the Wii!"

What about Metroid Prime 3? That game (though not as good as the first, IMO) is one of the best on the Wii and an amazing experience. The controls for it were nearly perfect, the music was amazing (as per usual with the Prime series) and the level design and look of everything was absolutely fantastic. Do people always overlook the thing, or do they just not count it as a normal FPS?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
You see, I've heard so many people saying "this is the first great FPS on the Wii!"

What about Metroid Prime 3? That game (though not as good as the first, IMO) is one of the best on the Wii and an amazing experience. The controls for it were nearly perfect, the music was amazing (as per usual with the Prime series) and the level design and look of everything was absolutely fantastic. Do people always overlook the thing, or do they just not count it as a normal FPS?
I think they were referring to The Conduit being the first good traditional FPS for the Wii. Metroid Prime 3 is a good game no doubt (although I'm not too big a fan of it), but it's more of an adventure game in the first-person perspective than a run-and-gun shooter like The Conduit is.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

people probably did overlook it. it has been out for a while. though the game was awsome.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
ZeroMachine said:

I agree, I thought The Conduit was going to be an amazing game. Now I'm hearing it's average, so I'm discouraged to buy it. And now that Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out in a month, I've changed my mind about getting The Conduit.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
ZeroMachine said:

I agree, I thought The Conduit was going to be an amazing game. Now I'm hearing it's average, so I'm discouraged to buy it. And now that Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out in a month, I've changed my mind about getting The Conduit.
Tell me about it! I'm going to maybe rent it, but that's about it. And although I already own all three Prime games, I'm definitely getting that :D

Also, welcome to the Escapist!

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Tell me about it! I'm going to maybe rent it, but that's about it. And although I already own all three Prime games, I'm definitely getting that :D

Also, welcome to the Escapist!
Thanks! And same here. New controls are a dream come true.
Just wanted to post on the topic.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Good for the Wii, but this game aggravates me because of its numerous coincidences with other games, namely Mass Effect.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Not everything can be revolutionary and perfect, you need to lower your expectations.

Go into everything assuming its crap, and everything is just fine.

The Conduit was an average first person shooter, in a sea of average first person shooters, doesn't make it LESS worthy than those other average games.

Besides, at least it uses a unique method of aiming and melee attacking, that has got to count for something right?
I only believed the hype that I saw, so sue me. I'm still going to play it because I still think it's a great game, mainly due to the controls and the online play. I just might not enjoy the story mode as much.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
thanks for the review. i have a wii that only collects dust and an xbox 360 that gets all the lovin. Seeing as i dont have online support for my wii there aint no point in getting this game (at least for me)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
ZeroMachine said:

What REALLY irks me about overlooking Prime is that Metroid Prime is in my opinion the peak of console shooters. The weakness of the analog stick for shooters is highlighted in the common ps3 and xbox360 games. This method of control is so inferior to the keyboard\mouse input of the PC that I have never been able to fathom their popularity.

Prime on the otherhand was able to put a competent shooter game together without the requirement for immitating the pc\keyboard input through analog sticks.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
crazy-j said:
thanks for the review. i have a wii that only collects dust and an xbox 360 that gets all the lovin. Seeing as i dont have online support for my wii there aint no point in getting this game (at least for me)
Madmanonfire said:
Fredrick2003 said:
Not everything can be revolutionary and perfect, you need to lower your expectations.

Go into everything assuming its crap, and everything is just fine.

The Conduit was an average first person shooter, in a sea of average first person shooters, doesn't make it LESS worthy than those other average games.

Besides, at least it uses a unique method of aiming and melee attacking, that has got to count for something right?
I only believed the hype that I saw, so sue me. I'm still going to play it because I still think it's a great game, mainly due to the controls and the online play. I just might not enjoy the story mode as much.
How can you think it is a great game if you haven't even played it yet -_-.
errrr... i never said i think its a great game, please explain?