Review: The Undergarden

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
The trailer on the D2D buy it area gave me chills. With that great of music I just might buy it. i will. Screw it. 10 bucks. That's nothing. Less than I paid for Minecraft and way less than I paid for a collection of table top games I will never use(again, advertised on your site, you guys are making this iimpulsive guy broke!)

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
Thank you for calling the protagonist a "grinning monkey thing." Maybe eventually that will cleanse the image from the reviewer who called it a teletubby :)

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
THIS GAME IS KAIIIII
OMOCHIKAERIIIIII

It's not that unique... puzzle games like that are already everywhere.
And it's got no enemies, so what?

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Ms. Arendt i seriously really love to watch your reviews and listening to your friendly warmth voice, lovingly describing the game.

^.^ Awesomely relaxing, always, and especially when the game is cute.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
This game totally reminds me of Ecco the Dolphin. You float around and get past obstacles in a series of caves. I even thought this was underwater when I first saw it! That's about where the similarities end though.

I like puzzle games like these that just ooze atmosphere and an immense appreciation for beauty and exploration. I will definitely check this one out!

wagglelance

Oct 3, 2010
I don't know if this is a remake and re-modle of the PS3 indie game bought on the PS network, but it is so close to the game Eden that it's hard not to think that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzX64KAunX0&feature=related
If it is, I wish some of the original stuff is added into it. And if not, I still wish some of the original stuff was added in. But if you have ever played Eden you will notice how similar these two games are. Same concept, pretty much the same game play. I personally like Eden a bit more. If someone else can do a little research on the link between Eden and UnderGarden that would be nice.
On an end point, I don't know if I should be happy or upset that these games are so similar.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
What I want to know is, is it the type of game my 3 year old can enjoy, we have seen it on steam and he indicated he wanted to play it. I'm just not sure if he would find the game play too frustrating or not

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Tends to be me, yeah. :) One of the things I really enjoy about getting to do this for a living is introducing people to games they might not otherwise give a chance. So when I have the chance to cover something a little off-center, I do it.
"But for those who grok it's strange charm"

Grok...a "Stranger In A Strange Land" reference if I'm not mistaken...if so, you're now my favourite reviewer :p

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Lopunny said:
Susan Arendt said:
Tends to be me, yeah. :) One of the things I really enjoy about getting to do this for a living is introducing people to games they might not otherwise give a chance. So when I have the chance to cover something a little off-center, I do it.
"But for those who grok it's strange charm"

Grok...a "Stranger In A Strange Land" reference if I'm not mistaken...if so, you're now my favourite reviewer :p
Agreed, as if the sexy voice and review style weren't enough to endear her to me already, grok definitely does it =)

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
Welcome to The Undergarden we've got fun and games...
I have no idea why that is the first thing that popped into my head.

OT: Actually looks like a nice kid friendly puzzle game.Although I wonder how hard it gets later on, allot of puzzle games start off deceptively simple and then get incredibly difficult (at least for me). I wont be getting it though, as puzzle games aren't exactly my cup of tea.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Luke Cartner said:
What I want to know is, is it the type of game my 3 year old can enjoy, we have seen it on steam and he indicated he wanted to play it. I'm just not sure if he would find the game play too frustrating or not
With a little help from mom and dad, he's probably enjoy it. Making it to the end isn't that difficult - finding all the stuff is where the challenge really lies. You can float around and grow flowers pretty easily, so if you're there to help him through the few things he can't manage, he should have fun.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Luke Cartner said:
With a little help from mom and dad, he's probably enjoy it. Making it to the end isn't that difficult - finding all the stuff is where the challenge really lies. You can float around and grow flowers pretty easily, so if you're there to help him through the few things he can't manage, he should have fun.
Thanks

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
Having just played this on Steam, it is the WORST game my friends and I have ever played that we found on Steam. All praise be to VALVe for letting us just play the demo to get the treasure chest.