Review Wars - NewClassic's "Tome of the Ancients" Retro Comp.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
NewClassic said:
Unless the deadline has extended, I'm afraid I have unceremoniously been disqualified. I've worked 12 hours in the past two days at work, not even mentioning my classes and social obligations on Friday. I got tapped out for time. I still have plenty to write this weekend, so looks like the phrase for the week is "No rest for the weary."

L4K, get back to me if I can send you a preliminary draft for the contest. Otherwise, my apologies to everyone for not having submitted, and it's a shame I couldn't get involved. I have no one to blame but myself, though.
That is a shame, because your posts boast a high mastery of the English language and would have been a very good review to read. Might I ask as to what it was about?

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
D_987 said:
I trust the judges are not going to be told the reviewers name to avoid bias?

=p

I'm taking this super-seriously!
We haven't been told the names or been given any hints at all. Just an Entry number so we don't get mixed up with which reviews we're judging.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the reviews I've judged so far have been "wrong." Granted they're in slightly different contexts but nowhere near the extreme of being un-acceptable.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean by "preliminary," Nuke, but don't feel too rushed to get it done, you still have time. Given the time of year, I probably should have extended the writing time from the start.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I dreamt about this thread last night.... and what scores everyone got. I can't remember them now but I was creeped out a little. Do we know when the results will be up?

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
I dreamt about this thread last night.... and what scores everyone got. I can't remember them now but I was creeped out a little. Do we know when the results will be up?
next monday, april 6th.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
ultimatechance said:
next monday, april 6th.
Ahh thankyou... now lets hope for no more dreams about this thread! (Especially as I didn't win in my own dream... that's a bit depressing lol!)

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Okay, thanks to the kindness of L4K, I've managed to toss my hat into the ring. I hope it meets expectations.

Good luck to all parties involved.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Just thought everyone would like to know that all reviews have been sent out to the judges and now I'm just waiting for scores to keep on coming in. Hopefully scores will be ready by Monday, but I'll let you know officially once I get all the results in.

spudz47

Mar 11, 2009
How many scores are we going to wait? Are going to see the grades all at once or one at time (like when a judge gives a grade he doesn't wait for the fellow judges, he gives the score straight away)?

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Well, I've read all of the entries, and the quality is really top-notch. There isn't a single "bad" review in the lot.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
mjhhiv said:
Well, I've read all of the entries, and the quality is really top-notch. There isn't a single "bad" review in the lot.
how differentiating is the context of them? Off the bat, i can already tell that there are the ones that are more focused on the game, while some are focused on the theme.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
ultimatechance said:
mjhhiv said:
how differentiating is the context of them? Off the bat, i can already tell that there are the ones that are more focused on the game, while some are focused on the theme.
Pretty much answered your own question. Some of them are heavily sided to "why they're guilty pleasures", some are a mixture of "why" and "game-review", and some are heavily sided to "game review".

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I'm so excited I could poo.

That could be the morning latte talking but I'm excited anyhow.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
ultimatechance said:
mjhhiv said:
Like Nivag said, yes, there's a healthy mix of both. It only affected my scoring in one scenario, because that particular review told me absolutely nothing of the game. Even though the writer was obviously trying for a non-review style, I felt like they should at least present me with the basics of the game.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I've started calculating scores, just so you all know. I still haven't gotten all the judging scores back yet, but I'm sending out requests for them as I come across the ones I'm missing. Hopefully I'll have the results at the end of the week.

spudz47

Mar 11, 2009
So now what? Do we wait till the end of the week or get the results tomorrow?

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
Jesus how the hell did this totally get past me?! I would have been all over this had I gotten in in time. Bugger.

Anyway so I don't miss this again, could I judge for the next round? If not I'd like to try and participate time permitting.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
spudz47 said:
yeah, i would like that answered too.

PS: Thx Nivag and mjhhiv for the responses.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
mjhhiv said:
Like Nivag said, yes, there's a healthy mix of both. It only affected my scoring in one scenario, because that particular review told me absolutely nothing of the game. Even though the writer was obviously trying for a non-review style, I felt like they should at least present me with the basics of the game.
This sounds like mine, having read it again.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
spudz47 said:
Once I have 8 sets of 5 scores from the same 5 judges, I'll post the top 3 scores, and send out individual scores upon request.