Review: Wet

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
I found Wet to be a lot of fun. Sure, the levels could have been better and the dialogue needs improvement but I think Wet is one of those games you don't take seriously.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
I played the demo, and that was more than enough for me to indentify immediately how much this game was going to fail.
But, Bethesda developed it, so... nuff said.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
I played the demo, and that was more than enough for me to indentify immediately how much this game was going to fail.
No they didn't, they just published. Same as they're doing for Brink.

Does it still have the thing where if you're sliding and you run into something you'll just continue sliding until the animation ends?

I wanna see that list.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Good review Susan, after just playing the demo I came to more or less the same conclusion. It's still on my rental list though.

May we see this list?

Daedalus1942 said:
They only published it, Artificial Mind and Movement developed it.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
Good review Susan, after just playing the demo I came to more or less the same conclusion. It's still on my rental list though.

May we see this list?

Daedalus1942 said:
They only published it, Artificial Mind and Movement developed it.

Edit: Ninja'd.
yes, I've had that pointed out to me, thank you.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
CountFenring said:
Does it still have the thing where if you're sliding and you run into something you'll just continue sliding until the animation ends?
Yes it does. Also, if you're sliding near the edge of a cliff or something, you get to spend a few second in nail-biting suspense waiting to find out if the animation will end with you on the edge of the cliff, or over the cliff. Sometimes it even freezes, leaving you hanging there while the animation times out. Good stuff.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
CountFenring said:
Yes it does. Also, if you're sliding near the edge of a cliff or something, you get to spend a few second in nail-biting suspense waiting to find out if the animation will end with you on the edge of the cliff, or over the cliff. Sometimes it even freezes, leaving you hanging there while the animation times out. Good stuff.
It's also possible to backflip right off a ledge. Which, while a genuine peril of, uh, being a backflippy assassin, I suppose, isn't much fun during the game.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
You know, when they first started promoting this game I thought they were doing a remake of "Wet: The Sexy Empire," a childish "sex industry" strategy/sim game from the early/mid 90's.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
I found Wet to be a lot of fun. Sure, the levels could have been better and the dialogue needs improvement but I think Wet is one of those games you don't take seriously.
This is the truth. The game is styled from a 70s exploitation film. To expect good dialogue is just silly. I think the game was fantastic and lived up to exactly what it was supposed to be.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I'll be getting WET soon (hahaha very funny).

I can see how: grind enemies, go to next room, do some stunts, grind more enemies, skull a bottle of whiskey, grind more enemies etc, could get boring but I just don't see the game that way I'm afraid.

And I'm actually hoping for some good in the voice acting department. Alan Cumming, Eliza Dushku and they guy who plays "John Henry Eden" from Fallout 3. An awesome combo.

The game was actually due to come out last year but Sierra Entertainment failed, making this the second game that Bethesda Softworks has become the Stepfather to (the first being Fallout 3). And if they had to wait any longer, Artifical Mind & Movement could've scrapped the project altogether.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
I'm just gonna defend the quick time events (from what little experience I have with it. I need to play this properly without being distracted by Champions...);

When it's obvious you should jump, you use the "jump" button. When she draws her sword, you use the "sword" button, and you can keep shooting all the way through it. It's not really a "proper" quick time event, and it's definitely not the random crap that everyone hates.

Gnmish

Feb 7, 2009
Unfortunately Susan, you describe the reward for chain-kills as a multiplayer (multiplier?).

Normally I wouldn't bother with such a detail, however you have made a point of complaining about sloppiness.

That aside, based on your review, I guess I will leave off on getting this one. Sounds like a bit of a dud.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I'm disappointed by the blasting this game has been getting. When I first saw it profiled in some magazine way back before the demo came out, it looked super cool. But slowly the shine has been wearing off, and what I originally thought would be a must-buy is now turning into a maybe-rent. Too bad.