Review: Wet

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
"if you can imagine the Price of Persia doing it, odds are Rubi can, too,"

I assume you meant Prince.

Anyways, Good review. I really expected this kind of reaction out of the game too. Unfortunately, I was right in my assumption. I played the demo, and was really not entertained at all. It felt like Stranglehold...but worse. I at least enjoyed jumping around in Stranglehold and sliding on meal carts and what not, but in this...everything just felt gimmicky to me.

I saw that they were trying to go for that grindhouse look with the game, but that is no excuse to not polish the look and feel of the game.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MercurySteam said:
I'll be getting WET soon (hahaha very funny).

I can see how: grind enemies, go to next room, do some stunts, grind more enemies, skull a bottle of whiskey, grind more enemies etc, could get boring but I just don't see the game that way I'm afraid.

And I'm actually hoping for some good in the voice acting department. Alan Cumming, Eliza Dushku and they guy who plays "John Henry Eden" from Fallout 3. An awesome combo.

The game was actually due to come out last year but Sierra Entertainment failed, making this the second game that Bethesda Softworks has become the Stepfather to (the first being Fallout 3). And if they had to wait any longer, Artifical Mind & Movement could've scrapped the project altogether.
Two out of three on the voice acting. Alan Cumming and Malcolm MacDowell both perform admirably but Dushku is complete crap, as is pretty much the rest of the supporting cast.

Don't get me wrong, the ideas here are all great, it's just the games overwhelming lack of polish and follow-through that drag it down.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:

Anyways, Good review. I really expected this kind of reaction out of the game too. Unfortunately, I was right in my assumption. I played the demo, and was really not entertained at all. It felt like Stranglehold...but worse. I at least enjoyed jumping around in Stranglehold and sliding on meal carts and what not, but in this...everything just felt gimmicky to me.

I saw that they were trying to go for that grindhouse look with the game, but that is no excuse to not polish the look and feel of the game.
Same here the moment I started playing it I thought this feels like Stanglehold, but then why am I not enjoying it?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Bobzer77 said:
Mr.Pandah said:

Same here the moment I started playing it I thought this feels like Stanglehold, but then why am I not enjoying it?
Precisely.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I was really looking forward to this game but abandoned the idea after playing the demo - the control system was such a pain in the arse that I just couldn't deal with it for more than a couple of minutes. But that's probably just me, to be honest. I'm filing it in the same category as Mirror's Edge: stuff that I'd love to play if I wasn't such a massive klutz.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I was actually sorta kinda thinking about picking this up but not anymore. I guess I'll wait for the sequel, "Dry".

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Can we see this "List?"
Yes I too wish to see this list. I hope Infinite Undiscovery is on it.

Anyway if I want to play Wet I'll just replay the free demo.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah I pretty much came to the same conclusion from the demo. You could tell immediately that the game wasn't anywhere near finished.

Someone at Bethesda is really pissed off right now that his great idea and hard work was all for naught.

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
I disagree.

I loved this game.

The gameplay more than makes up for the few petty complaints made in the review(for me anyway).

The upgrade system cannot be as bad as you say if I can kill any way I want to and still get my new skills at a decent pace.

Also, how can you complain about the quick time events? Its a core part of gameplay and done very well. Why the hate for the button mashing door opening thing? Allot of games do that and in this one it doesn't take that much time.

If quick time events, mash x, and repetitive environments are the only major bad parts. Then this isn't that bad, I'm probably gonna go pick this up. It still seems like a lot of fun.
Pretty much this.

The reviewer seemed to let small little things ruin the whole experience when they aren't that big a deal.

DrTrevelyan

Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, I agree. It's a very fun game, but it feels like there is some climactic shit that they left out, more than likely due to time constraints by the publisher. Still, if I had to choose between the entire Devil May Cry series versus Wet, I'd choose Wet.

DrTrevelyan

Aug 14, 2009
Kojiro ftt said:
Someone at Bethesda is really pissed off right now that his great idea and hard work was all for naught.
Not likely since Bethesda didn't develop this game, A2M did. Bethesda merely published it, and if they are disappoint, then it's because they didn't allow this game to bake in the oven a little longer.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
DrTrevelyan said:
Yeah, I agree. It's a very fun game, but it feels like there is some climactic shit that they left out, more than likely due to time constraints by the publisher. Still, if I had to choose between the entire Devil May Cry series versus Wet, I'd choose Wet.
Me too, absolutely.

Gestapo Hunter

Oct 20, 2008
I really like this game but i do agree it couldve use a couple more month in development. First the soundtrack was really great,and the randomness and chaos use cause really reminded me of saint row 2.

BigDeej

Sep 28, 2009
This game was fun, for about as long as the demo lasts. I bought the game, finished it, EASILY in 3 hours, and returned it the next day....very disappointing. I had high hopes for the Tarrantino feeling game, but they were quickly crushed.

BigDeej

Sep 28, 2009
I had high hopes for this Tarrantino style game, but those were quickly crushed. i bought it, polished it out...easily...in 3 hours, and returned it the next day. Disappointing to say the least. Yes, it was fun for what it was, but it's definately a renter....at best.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
I guess I'd have to try it first, but this review kind of convinced me to pick up the game sometime. So long as the mechanics are all used passably well, I'd be willing to put up with any amount of shitty dialog to hang upside-down and shoot things.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I think the game could have been better, but for being their first game, as far as I know, they did a decent job with a bit of originality.

lordgazoontite

Jul 21, 2009
my room mate got it and beat in a single sitting it does not look or play bad but it is some what short. and i wont give away the ending except for the fact its all qte which is kind of a shame.