Review: Wet

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Unfortunately I found the game to be quite disturbing with the female protagonist's constant crotch stabbing.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
wait, so your only quarrels were quicktime events and repetitive environments?

well, that and bad acting.

I have to say though, It didn't look so fantastic watching the review supplement.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Bummer. I was skeptical, but cautiously optimistic about this game's prospects. It looked like it was either going to be stale and derivative or over-the-top fun the likes of which we hadn't seen for some time. Too bad the absolute best I've seen anyone rate this game is as mediocre.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've only played the demo and that was enough.

I don't get this argument that if you aren't supposed to take a game seriously, then that excuses it for being shit.

Which WET is. Yes I know it's just supposed to be stupid fun which I can appreciate, but when that's all your game is riding on why not try throwing something, I don't know, interesting/original/well polished/good looking/funny/actually exciting in there?

After all, if it was a "serious" shooter, and you ran through a load of crappy environments then it'd be fine. On WET though:

"Don't mind the shit environments or character models, it's only meant to be a bit of fun."

Like I said, I've only played the demo, but that coupled with the reviews I've read and I've got a pretty good idea of what the game is like.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
so the point of this game is "Stabby fun time yay!" pretty much. Oh wait theres guns so its "Stabby and Shooty time" my bad.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Captain Pancake said:

I have to say though, It didn't look so fantastic watching the review supplement.
No, those weren't my only quarrels. Did you read the review?

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Captain Pancake said:

I'm sorry, you also said something about the plot being hollow and uninteresting. My mistake.

[sup]please don't hurt me...[/sup]

ila

Jul 29, 2008
I had this game preordered, then I canceled it because I figured I'd just wait until it got hit with a price drop. Still, I play the demo from time to time, so I will pick this up when it becomes cheaper.

And yeah, I also want to see the list.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
I played the Demo a bunch of times. I was going to buy it, but then I figured out that the demo was deliberately showing me the highlights of the game (in their defense it's kind of the point), and that I wasn't really impressed with that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Captain Pancake said:
Susan Arendt said:
Captain Pancake said:

I'm sorry, you also said something about the plot being hollow and uninteresting. My mistake.

[sup]please don't hurt me...[/sup]
And the controls are iffy. When they work, it's dandy, but they're inconsistent.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The major problem with most reviews of this game is the reviewer taking the game seriously. It's meant to be cheesy, it's meant to be stupid at points, it's like when I got saints row, my friends said it was dumb and I was dumb for getting it, I said don't take it seriously and you'll have a blast, he got the sequel when it came out.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
This game reminds me of "Total Overdose" which was fun game but just not as good as it could have been.

Why the title is "Wet" still confuses me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Snotnarok said:
The major problem with most reviews of this game is the reviewer taking the game seriously. It's meant to be cheesy, it's meant to be stupid at points, it's like when I got saints row, my friends said it was dumb and I was dumb for getting it, I said don't take it seriously and you'll have a blast, he got the sequel when it came out.
I love a stupid good time as much as the next girl, I assure you. That's not an excuse for putting up with bad AI and iffy controls, though.

Besides, if you'll notice, I said there was fun to be had with the game. It just wasn't as good as it could have been.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:
I love a stupid good time as much as the next girl, I assure you. That's not an excuse for putting up with bad AI and iffy controls, though.

Besides, if you'll notice, I said there was fun to be had with the game. It just wasn't as good as it could have been.
No no I meant reviewers in general, I didn't word it right I suppose, I'm sorry for that. Many of reviewers from what I've seen (both professional and amateur) are giving this game a lashing for no reason, it has it's imperfections but it's fun. I truly think that's what a lot of reviewers are missing, that you play for fun not just pretty graphics.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Huh. That is exactly the same impression I got from the demo: full of great ideas and possible awesomeness, but so lacking in polish it hurts to think about. Particularly important is the flow-breaking.

And I'm sure everyone here would love to see that list *wink wink nod nod*

Snotnarok said:
Susan Arendt said:
Snotnarok said:

No no I meant reviewers in general, I didn't word it right I suppose, I'm sorry for that. Many of reviewers from what I've seen (both professional and amateur) are giving this game a lashing for no reason, it has it's imperfections but it's fun. I truly think that's what a lot of reviewers are missing, that you play for fun not just pretty graphics.
But that's not the major problem with the game. It's not the writing, it's not the graphics, it's the controls and the AI.

Those are things that are fundamentally important to being able to have fun in a game. Other reviewers may have focused on the graphics, but in this review they're mentioned in exactly one sentence, the focus is on the lack of polish.