Review: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I should be getting the expansion next week, but I won't be able to touch the endgame for a while (I'm only lv71)

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Nice review. I've said it a dozen times, but I'll say it again: Blizzard really outdid itself with Cataclysm. Any complaints I have are minor. The biggest one is having to drudge through Outland after experiencing the revamped Azeroth. Thankfully, Nothrend is just around the bend. Also, being on a PvP server, Hyjal and Vash'jir are warzones. My character has never been killed so many times before. It's just the way of things, though; it'll die down.

The questing zones are amazing. As stated before, you feel like you're actually accomplishing something beyond gathering ears. As others have said, you don't need to know about vanilla WoW to play Cataclysm. There are a few nods, though (brother Anton's corpse in Desolace, for example).

What wows me the most are the little touches. A group of random characters in a remote part of Feralas, accessible only by flight. Why are they there? I don't know. There are axe-wielding rabbits in the mountains around Mulgore. Groups of turtles swim in Thousand Needles. Lashers in Felwood do a little dance when you take it to a spot of rich soil. These fine, unimportant details show the great care Blizzard took in making this expansion.

Also, the music is amazing.

I haven't been this excited about playing World of Warcraft since I started playing it five years ago. I'd love to experience this game for the first time NOW. This is definitely the best time to start playing/re-playing WoW.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
As much as I'd like to see the old lands again, quitting before WotLK was probably the best thing I could have done. A part of me really misses trying things outside the box, seeking hidden or forgotten areas, sneaking deep into dungeons for unique loot. The bigger problem is that for all of the things people say has been done to fix the issue of time sinks and grinding, ultimately the game is still about grinding for gear to get the right stats to grind for better gear, rinse and repeat. I have a hard time seeing the fun in that.

Still, I'd spent so long in Azeroth, and it's been so long since I've been back, I am curious to see how different things really are.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Matt_LRR said:
John Funk said:
Matt_LRR said:
Yeesh. when did you hit 85? I'm pretty sure you were 84 when I logged off last night, and that was at like 4AM your time. (and I'm pretty sure you were still online :| ) Go to sleep dude.

-m
Haha, literally about thirty seconds after you logged off.
BAW. I seriously considered staying on longer and making some progress in deepholm.

Oh well - some of us had real jobs they had to get to this morning. :p

-m

Edit: incidentally, disappointed that my name didn't pop up in your chat log during the video review :(
Some of us had review deadlines :p

You should have sent more /tells then!

Moffman

May 21, 2009
The advantage of WoW's ten year old engine means it runs pretty darn well on loads of computers, I can even play it (poorly) on my terrible laptop!

Mar 16, 2009
omicron1 said:
John Funk said:
omicron1 said:
@ the end music: I knew you were going to pull that one, even before you mentioned "appropriate music."

Also, aaaugh! Earworm!

Anyway. Can anyone tell me if the storyline from the original WoW is still there? Has this Cataclysm completely destroyed the old storyline of WoW? And if so, is it confusing to someone who's never played through the game? (I only ever got as far as the exit to the undead starting region, and now I'm worried about endless in-jokes and story references I just wouldn't get.)
Cataclysm completely replaces the old world of Warcraft whether you purchase the expansion or no.
So.... as someone who never played through the original game, am I just going to be confused if I start in on this one? Will I be lost by references to events in the Burning Crusade or Lich King? Will there be tons of internal references to quests that happened in pre-Cataclysm Azeroth?

In other words, is the game more or less approachable from a story standpoint now that they've gone and redone everything?
I started two months ago, and I made a different guy to play through the old content anew. I'm now spoiled because I expect a new story every month.

Right now I've hit sixty (I level at my own leisurely pace), and let me tell you it is confusing. At the moment everyone around me is shouting "RAHHHH ILLIDAN!" when the whole time leading up to it was "blah blah blah low level quests also THIS QUEST IS TO HELP PREPARE YOU TO SLAY THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS AND TO HELP BATTLE HIS FORCES." Also I made a Death Knight, and... well Death Knights are the same. Considering Arthas is dead, I shouldn't be talking to him, or having people calling me his pet or whatever.

The old content is all there, so you won't be lost in references as you can still play through it. However, they aim to down the road completely streamline this so you don't slay the Lich King only to then fight Deathwing the second after. They're going to figure out how to transition everything... eventually. It's on the to do list, but it isn't integrated yet.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
That music at the end plays right into a discussion I've been having lately about the secret and nature of humour. The core thesis boils down to the need for the shared experience/knowledge in order for the unlikely connection to be even close to funny.

Also, how could you ignore Werewolves in top hats?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Blizzard has liberally applied the phasing technology - changing the zone as player completes quest to reflect their deeds . It was introduced in Wrath and used to great effect here, making for a much more significant feeling of progression and time than we've seen in an MMO yet.
Phasing was actually first used during Burning Crusade, to fix a couple quests in Blade's Edge. I thought it was awesome at the time, I can't believe it took Blizzard so long to figure out how to utilize it.

Aug 11, 2009
what was the name of the music you used, I can't find it because it isn't in the credits. I use to play WoW but it took over my life. Have 6 lvl 80 characters with epic gear and mounts (flying NOT the luggage carrying/vendor ones)

Aug 11, 2009
what was the name of the music you used, I can't find it because it isn't in the credits. I use to play WoW but it took over my life. Have 6 lvl 80 characters with epic gear and mounts (flying NOT the luggage carrying/vendor ones)

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
Did anyone else see the Ragnaros looking dude say "by fire be purged"? Now, I'm not familiar enough with vanilla wow to know if they used it first, but are they actually referencing unforgotten realms right there?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
waroftheflyingzebras said:

Zombus said:
Did anyone else see the Ragnaros looking dude say "by fire be purged"? Now, I'm not familiar enough with vanilla wow to know if they used it first, but are they actually referencing unforgotten realms right there?
He yelled it out in vanilla WoW, I remember it all to well after so many attempts until a Perditions Blade finally dropped.