Reviews: Super Mario 3D World Review

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Bob, great review. It's nice to see fans of a series actually ask for new stuff from the series they are fond of and recognize when that series is not living up to itself.

Still, the game does look fun, even if it could be better. I really liked the multi-player in the Wii games because it was so silly, though I never did play 3D land.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yes great review, really goes with what I've always said about how a review site needs to pay close attention to who they assign to different games. Can't get a better opinion for a Mario game than a long time Nintendo connoisseur with a preference for platformers.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Wow, seeing Bob review this was a nice surprise, this is one of the games that I have been waiting to get a Wii-U for. It will be the first Mario game I have ever owned! I've played a few of the classics at friends places, just never owned one, and ma delighted to see this one looks good :D

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, they're letting us play as Peach again. This should be interesting, just to see how the feminist criticism responds to it.

But, as I don't have a WiiU and don't plan on getting one, I probably won't have a real opinion on the game itself.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
For the second time now I'm baffled by an Escapist review that decries how co-op adds "nothing new" over the single player experience. First time I noticed it was with Fable 3.

How about the ability to play with my partner? That's definitely something over the single player. A huge thing.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Bob,

I'm as surprised as anyone to see you review a game. And with a Big Picture come right along side. Must have been a busy week!

That said, I'm glad for the advice, and glad to see you in this role. Is it, in fact, your first game review (officially, for the escapist?)

Thanks! I look forward to picking this one up, as I seem to be one of the twelve people that purchased a Wii U (When the price drop happened. With the Zelda bundle. Because I'm a sucker for crap like that. And Pikmin.)

MaximumTheHormone

Jan 28, 2012
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Still, I reserve my right to find 4 stars weird, so far there's only been two, Bob review and a french site.

I'm criticising the final score, but in terms of content and writing I loved the review, Bob is one of the best and I hope he continues writing reviews occasionally.
yeh, my bad on the 1/4 thing, when i checked only 11 reviews were out.
eh, coming from a film reviewer's perspective a 4/5 is pretty damn high. Granted the escapist has usually set a standard or pretty liberal so this may effect the metrics, but Bob still has a right to set his own standards.
Seeing as Bob hasn't reviewed anything else metrically (as far as I know) before he hasn't really left any precedents so here he set his own. From this standard I assume not much, if anything, is gonna be getting above 4 stars from him if he's allowed to review again.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
So, they're letting us play as Peach again. This should be interesting, just to see how the feminist criticism responds to it.

But, as I don't have a WiiU and don't plan on getting one, I probably won't have a real opinion on the game itself.
But the cursor will start on Mario, making her a secondary choice! /sarcasm.

Yeah, I hope to see more of this sort of thing in the industry as a whole.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I was sad that this review came after the XbOne reviews. It just goes to show how mainstream gaming has leaped away from the classics.

And then I almost LOL'd (in a public place) at how Bob, of all people, was reviewing this: starting chipper (pun intended) and continuing in a comprehensive manner. I guess there's no better person to review a game than someone who was going to get it anyways due to being a fan, while everyone else is in the "next gen" excitement wagon.

This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner. It's so good that I think of getting a Wii U for it this holiday season, since the PS4 and XbOne have no must-haves.
Then again, I'm a long-term thinker and have hardly anyone to play Mario with. I'll most likely get a PS4 after Christmas to access that best-of PS3 library and PS Plus's PC-equivalent deals and freebies.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Kinda surprising to see Bob and Jim Sterling doing game reviews on the site these days. I'd like to play Super Mario 3D World. It may not be groundbreaking, but it looks fun and its great to see a 4-player co-op that includes Princess Peach and Toad.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Weird. Review by MovieBob a long time Nintendo fan and it's the one review who gave worst pontuaction to the game so far, which averages a 9.5/10
Even GameSpot gave 9! GameSpot, the anti Nintendo site.

I almost conclude that you tried so hard to be impartial and not to show your Nintendo bias that you went the other way by giving less instead of more appraise it deserved. Not that 4/5 is bad. But it's bad for fricking Mario.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

Jim's video is very relevant to this type of post.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I'm very sure my friend has already bought it, so when the time comes (birthday, holiday) and we all gather at her house, I'll get a chance to see this in action. It looks like one of those enjoyable games to play with friends for a bit.

I almost conclude that you tried so hard to be impartial and not to show your Nintendo bias that you went the other way by giving less instead of more appraise it deserved. Not that 4/5 is bad. But it's bad for fricking Mario.
You're upset he gave it a good score? I'm confused. I bet Nintendo's ecstatic if this is their worst score.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
CleverCover said:
You're upset he gave it a good score? I'm confused. I bet Nintendo's ecstatic if this is their worst score.
I don't think the Escapist is important enough that makes Nintendo care, otherwise j-e-f-f-e-r-s would be offered a job from them :p
But yeah, so far it's the worst score someone gave to this game.
It's still a really good score. It's above average.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
GAunderrated said:
Weird. Review by MovieBob a long time Nintendo fan and it's the one review who gave worst pontuaction to the game so far, which averages a 9.5/10

That video is not a free pass for everything. I can criticise an 8 if I think it's wrong.
Sure, at least the 8 was kinda justified, unlike two reviewers who gave 6 to Skyward Sword because they were noobs with motion controllers.

Interesting not many people criticise lack of online in SM3DW, sure it's not necessary, but I think it's a bit more annoying that having Bowser as a vilain again.
AdagioBoognish said:
Xman490 said:
This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner.
Sorry

Really? What makes you think that?
Maybe because the game is fun and focused on gameplay unlike some other GOTY contenders?
GAunderrated said:

That video is not a free pass for everything. I can criticise an 8 if I think it's wrong.
Sure, at least the 8 was kinda justified, unlike two reviewers who gave 6 to Skyward Sword because they were noobs with motion controllers.

Interesting not many people criticise lack of online in SM3DW, sure it's not necessary, but I think it's a bit more annoying that having Bowser as a vilain again.
AdagioBoognish said:
Xman490 said:
This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner.
Really? What makes you think that?
Maybe because the game is fun and focused on gameplay unlike some other GOTY contenders?
Wasn't knocking you down for your opinion, I'm just interested. For me it seems strange that a game that has been re-issued for decades would qualify as game of the year material. I guess one of the qualities I value most is some form of originality. I'm fine with updating an old IP, for instance I'd buy any well made revamp of Paper Mario or better yet Mario RPG, but I wouldn't consider either game of the year contenders. There were some really fun and original games that came out this year that should take it over games that are fun, but also the same old game.