Reviews: Super Mario 3D World Review

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Just because the name changes it doesn't mean it's original. The differences between TLOU and Uncharted is about the same SM3DLand and SM3DWorld. Bioshock Infinite is the same Bioshock but with new story, GTA V is still GTA, but improved.
Truly inovative games are really rare.

btw I was not the original poster, I joined the conversation, I don't know if xman490 agree's with me.
If you've played one mario, you can pretty much guess the story of how each successive Mario is going to play. If you play Bioshock, you have no idea what's going to happen in Bioshock Infinite. Both Bioshock and GTA had new stories though, along with an entirely new setting (in Bioshock at least), along with new features. Everything about Mario is the same old thing at this point. I wasn't ever making the case that only a truly innovative game should get a game of the year spot. I just really don't see Mario as anything other than an old friend who's very much welcome in my house, but other than bringing a cat this time, nothing is new or surprising. Shouldn't anything that's "of the year" at least surprise you with how good it is? I don't think devs should get an award for making a game that is fun and nothing else. They deserve my money for the game and they deserve a nice review, like Bobs, but Game of the Year?

What would you make the criteria for game of the year?

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I still don't own a WiiU, but I think this title might make me cave in and buy it.

So does this count as "The true 3D game" for the console.

N64: Mario 64
GCM: Mario Sunshine
Wii: Mario Galaxy
WiiU: Mario 3D world?

Or do you think its still to early in the WiiUs life to even hope this is the one?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
AdagioBoognish said:
Xman490 said:
This looks like a GOTY contender, if not a GOTY winner.
Really? What makes you think that?
I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I like Mario games fairly close to as much as Bob does. As he said, it's such a refined formula in a uniquely colorful universe with such a gameplay flow that I can't help but smile as I play.
It could also be my childhood talking.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Really? We are having Bob review Mario games now? Why don't we bring jack tretton on for all the PS4 reviews next.

ehsteve88

Sep 6, 2010
What a well written review. It would be nice to see bob become a regular as a game critic over here.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
major_chaos said:
Really? We are having Bob review Mario games now? Why don't we bring jack tretton on for all the PS4 reviews next.
That statement would have merit, if Bob had given it a higher score. At the moment out of 48, Bob is tied with the lowest score with one other critic. Beyond that, there is one 85, and the rest are 90's and above, the majority being 95 or higher.

I haven't held great praise over Mario games in years. The newest one I played was Mario Galaxy when it came out, and that was some time ago.

This review seemed rather nit-picky.
Bowser being the villain again, as a complaint, is one case point. While it is nice to get a new villain every once in awhile, Bowser is the expected villain. A main franchise Mario game without Bowser causing some trouble would feel like it is missing something.

Another point, main Mario games are about the single player experience. Multiplayer in main Mario games has always been a just there to be there thing. Multiplayer not being super amazing is not a point against it, because it is not a point. If it is passable as it has always been, then it gets a point.

Yeah, it is still a good score, but coming from someone like Bob, it does seem like he was trying so hard not to be bias that he went backwards beyond neutral.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Woah, Bob, slow down. It ain't a race to see who will review the game the fastest... Although...