Riders At The World's End - Phase 2: Mortal Danger [FROZEN]

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
After the incense had burned out, Skye decided to train. If there was one thing she had learned from her encounter with the Reds, it was that she was at a severe disadvantage if a. she did not have her weapons or b. she was fighting far/close range. This would not do. She put on her standard Green uniform. She also grabbed a small bag of gold. An extra bit of armor was always desired.

It was relatively peaceful outside as she made her way to the closest underground entrance. Most of the shops were a few levels underground to discourage raids. The halls were dimly lit every number of feet by oil lamps. Being underground generally made her feel claustrophobic, and she was glad that her room was on the surface.

"Good morning Brother." The man in charge of the equipment greeted Sky as she walked into the spacious room. "I haven't seen you here in a while. What do you need?"

A few minutes later Skye continued to the training area. New on her persona were a pair of elbow pads, outfitted with steel plates that had been painted black. She also had a pair for her knees, but they lacked the metal. Better than nothing, right? She had also outfitted her gloves with small spikes. Not like her punches would do anything to a full grown man, but at least now she might be able to leave some marks. There were a few other trainees at the training grounds, a large cavern with a skylight. Only the higher ups like Selena and Shannow would train on the upper level. Skye bounced on her toes a bit as she looked around for a sparring partner.

willofbob

Aug 22, 2010
Tyreyard was a small town, named for the tyre yard in its center of course, and entirely unremarkable apart from the large library, remarkably mostly intact, on the edge of what was a residential area before the firestorm (most of the houses have been torn down and replaced with farms, there was more than enough soace available for the few inhabitants at the time). Despite the vast array of knowledge available, the people of Tyreyard mostly make their wages through farming, the library serving as a defensive position and strategic point.

When O'Neill and Trevor finally made their way there, the town was in ruins but still in Red hands, though an army of Greens waited just outside the border. Angus pulled up outside the library, now with a huge hole in the side, and stepped from the car. There were few Reds in sight, but books from the half-broken library lay scattered around. The mad hermit reached for the nearest one, a torn and burnt copy of Through the Looking Glass and What Alice found there, and openned to a destroyed page.

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

the rest was indecipherable.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
before anyone could say anything else three creatures appeared in a door way, Carl threw his hunting rifle and an extra clip of ammo to mongrel, 'I know you don't hurt people but I have a feeling these ain't people' Carl stood ready with his knuckle dusters and spear waiting to see what the creatures did next.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
The first creature moved nearer, and though it was still in shadow, it's shape became more visible. It stood halfway between upright and all fours, and was at least 8 feet tall. It looked like a cross between a bear, a wolf, a crocodile and something nastier, with claws.

It padded forwards, regarded the watchers with it's disturbingly intelligent eyes for a long moment, then lunged forwards.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Carl lunged the spear forward stabbing it into the creatures chest, he then tried to move the spear under the creature making sure the keep out of the reach of its claws 'well lets see who is at the top of the food chain, Hallas, foot lady keep the others busy this son of a ***** is mine'.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
The spear glanced off an area of armored scales and struck the creature in the shoulder. It roared in pain, but instead of recoiling it twisted it's body and along the spear haft to try and claw Carl

A second beast moved into the light, but this one was different. It was a little taller than a human and much thinner. It's body was covered with a form of exoskeleton like a beetle, and it's torso resembled a human one, save that it had been mangled and twisted to form a two-part insectile body. It moved on 5 limbs, placed as if the human body had once had a tail, and that all four limbs and the tail had mutated into insect-legs. It's face was armored and the mouth split into four mandibles, but this one's eyes glinted with the light of a man gone mad with fear and pain.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Sallus strolled out into the training grounds. He moved stiffly after yesterdays heavy training, but as he walked he began to stretch his tired muscles, slowly regaining his grace.

After a few minutes he reached the center of the field, where recruits would gather for sparring. He flexed his shoulders one more time, and looked for a suitable partner, and his eyes fell upon a silver haired boy in green, white and black who seemed to be looking for a partner.

He moved closer and asked with a small smile, "Hey, are you looking for a sparring partner?"

Name: Sallus Kehar, or just Sal

Faction: Green Jewels

Appearance: Sal is tall and slim, with a runners build. His hair is short and dark brown, over a smooth face and a handsome, though rarely seen smile. His eyes are a good, pious green, flecked with amber. He wears jeans and a t-shirt, overlaid with a green military jacket given him by his father, a soldier of the Jewels

Personality: Sal is quiet by nature, and some mistake this for shyness. When he makes the effort, he can be charming, but with people he does not know, especially girls his own age, he can be nervous and need prising open.
His quiet nature has made him a select for the Eyes, the scouts of the Jewels. As such, he is put through rigorous training, which has to a certain extent compounded his shyness.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Skye turned and immediately forgot what to say. "O-oh..." Hoping that he had asked about sparring she nodded, fighting down the warmth creeping into her cheeks. "Do you mind if we don't use w-weapons?" she asked, trying to sound nonchalant. Dammit, if he's any good at fighting I am going to lose so bad... Selena had always warned her about losing her concentration, but she had never lost it so badly. She got into a stance, her jacket flowing behind her. Just faced 4 beefed up Reds. Got shot in almost every limb. About to get destroyed by someone I could hypothetically take in a fight.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Sal relaxed somewhat; this boy seemed nervous in a way that made Sal feel less shy. He had his doubts about fighting someone so slight, but he thought his tiredness would make things easier.

"Sure, I don't mind hand-to-hand," he said with a shrug, and winced as a muscle in his shoulder objected, "But go easy on me; I'm still recovering from a session with Brother-Sergeant Olek"

He tried to relax, and settled into a guard position. "Ready when you are..."

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Skye nodded and started. Obviously she was more of a kicker than a puncher, lacking the certain upper body strength to do more than give someone a bloody nose, maybe. In a flash she threw her foot out in a side kick. He blocked it easily, and she was thrown back. She moved fluidly into a low kick towards his feet, aiming to knock him down.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Sal jumped over the low kick easily, but landed badly and stumbled. As he recovered his balence, he tried to turn his flailing arms to good effect and lashed out with a punch at his opponents chest, hoping not to do damage but to buy himself some time

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Carl tried to block the punch with his fist but even though it cut into the creatures hand the creature tossed Carl across the room, his spear was still lodged in the creatures shoulder, as Carl got up he grunted 'that is mine'

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
The punch almost hit, but in a small panic she twisted away. It wasn't a total dodge, and Sal's spastic move caught her jacket, loosening her bandages and causing pain to shoot up her arm with the bullet as she jerked away. Oh Jewels... She was glad for two reasons: one, it didn't loosen so much that it was useless, and two, her shirt was relatively loose. Mental note: no abnormal twisting for the remainder of this fight. Stumbling back, she took her stance again as Sal got up, trying to ignore the dull pain pulsing in her shoulder.

willofbob

Aug 22, 2010
Angus entered the ruined library, searching for the Red leader. The woman he came across was old and bent with her white hair tied up in a bun. All in all, she looked like the kind of woman you would see knitting a doily in a large house waiting for her grandchildren to call, except for the battle scar running down her face. And the flamethrower she carried, that was a dead giveaway. "Well lookie here boys!" She exclaimed as Angus and Trevor walked into the room, "Looks like we gots ourselves a couple a' drifters lookin' fer an easy fix. Would ya like some soup? we got plenty. Axle, be a dear and pull over that couch. Good boy. So what brings ya to our little town?"
Angus had met some very strange people in his time, and also some very dangerous ones, so he resisted his urge to break out laughing and simply took the seat he was offered and looked up at the old woman "No soup thanks, my dear lady. We're simply here to aid in the effort and make an honest buck. Oh, and do you have any paint? that book outside gave me a great idea for what to name my car."

bandersnatch

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Sal quickly regained his feet, and reappraised his opponent. His size reduced his strength, but he made up for this with kicks and a natural agility, though seemed to be afraid of taking a hit. Not a good trait for the warriors of the Jewels...

He circled, wondering if this was due to some unmentioned injury; it would certainly explain this odd balance of competence and weakness.

He launched himself forward again, this time aiming to use his superior upper body strength in a grapple

---

The animal grunts in pain, and reaches up to tear the spear out of it's body and toss it into a corner. It turns back to Carl and approaches slowly this time, keeping out of range of his spiked knuckles until suddenly it swipes with bone crushing force

Jun 26, 2009
Jacob awoke, to the sound of silence. He was better now, not back to full strength of course but definetely better. He rubbed his forehead slowly. He had had a 'bad' dream. It entailed in him being wrong about the afterlife, he had died and awoken in nothingness. Nothingness scared him, the mere concept of it made his heart skip a beat. There can be no such thing as 'nothingness' though, can there? Jacob shuddered. "No, there can not..." He looked out a window and walked up to it. "Even in the end, there is something. Even if the entire world is destroyed, then the stars will continue to shine. Even when my goal is complete, the plants will continue to grow." A rat scampered away. "Life always finds a way, but if our life continues we'll halt the world's return to greatness. The cycle of life will go on, that is my goal." Jacob sat back down on the seat and put his head on his hands. "When I find the Green Boy, I wonder if I will halt... He seemed so... Nice. Kindness... Heh. He's probably the closest thing to a hero in this crapsack world... He did seem odly feminine however... I thought he was a girl at one point! Heh heh, how foolish of me."

He turned to look at his bike. "Green, I will find you and release you from the chains of mortality. If anyone deserves the peace of death, it is you... A kind soul does not belong in this world... They deserve so much more." He moved the bike outside. "So... I wonder if I can...? Heheh, this'll be interesting." He got on it and drove off.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Carl fell backwards to the ground in order to avoid the hit 'well if you kill them that would be better' he scrambled to his legs and ran towards the wall just before the creature unleashed another attack onto the ground he was sitting on, he had a plan either this will kill him or kill it only one way to find out Carl thought.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Oh sh- unable to even finish the thought Skye found herself pinned underneath Sal. She tried to think of a way out, and she had no doubt she knew one (because Inquisitors never fought fair anyway), but her head was so dizzy with his body so close...

"FINE! Fine stop I give-" she choked out. As soon as he let go she skittered out from underneath him, picking herself up to a sitting position. She reached behind her, and stuck her hands up inside the back of her shirt to tighten the bandages while she watched the boy across from her. Thankfully, the jacket hid anything she might be doing from nosy recruits. And boy were the recruits nosy.

"I'm Skye." she reached out one hand while keeping the other one up her shirt.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
After searching the twelfth house, Salt had been strightening the newly acquired shirt and pants as best as he could with his one working arm. All things considered, he was in a better position than when he first arrived; despite his injured shoulder, he had looted a real trove in comparison to the usual schmucks who couldn't keep their mitts off of crap that wasn't theirs. Quid pro fucking quo. He reflected before taking another swig of the canteen. Wilkes then focused his attention to the future.

Stretching out his resources, he had enough food and water for a week. Yet his shoulder will probably require up to a month on its own devices; that and returning to what counted as civilization would probably take up to weeks more if he didn't know where the hell he was. All things considered he was caught between two unfavorable options... But after a while, he could no longer have that freedom; something else caught his attention.

Over the distance, he heard a faint whirring sound that came from every direction. A powerful wind blew into the village; he had to keep a hand on his hat to prevent it from blowing off. Considering how dry and inert the air was, it was an obvious change; something is either here or coming. But what?

Lowering the sunglasses' frames, Salt scanned the surroundings for any change. Dirt and sand were strewn in the gales, loose doors were being pushed open by the sheer force, and the shriveled husks of cacti were nearly shoved off their roots. Nothing in the horizon showed anything; nothing that could generate that movement... Then Wilkes looked up, and he immediately found the source: a large helicopter that was landing soon.

He stowed in one of the houses and observed from a window as the craft touched down. Looking at the occupants, his heart skipped; more behemoths. Fuck! It was a cadre of five Blue-eyes each one armed to the teeth like the man-beast he'd finally recognized as one of them. They were here for something and by the looks of things they were ready to kill anything that moves. Including a certain Red.

Frantically Mr. Salt was tearing through every possible tactic in his own head; anything that can give a sliver of hope.

Can't go head-on; that's goddamn suicide... What about hiding in the walls?... No. They're a squad; they're going to comb every nook and cranny and I'd be delaying the inevitable... Mines... No. Only two left; not enough to kill them all... C'mon!... What else!?... Flee??... Can't fucking flee either!... I will, not die here

"Move out!" c-cl-click

The safeties were removed, and he felt his heart seize. They were on the move, and Wilkes had no time to waste. He left the house through the back window on the opposite end of where the Blues were. He fled from their direction, hobbling as fast as he can with his head beating with a dull pain, his muscles twitchy with fear, and lungs breathing rapidly. They were going to hear the footsteps and coordinate their movements to prevent any escape; if they see him, he's dead.

But as he fled, a thought ran through his head; it was absolutely crazy, but it was better than running for his life. He pulled out his gun and fired randomly in the distance.

-BANG BANG BANG-

Nine shots... It would've been a waste of ammo, but for now he had to make the sacrifice. He could hear the increased rate of footsteps; they had found him, or at least found the gunfire.

This time, he wasn't running a long stretch; he was running back to the house where the dead Blue was. Vaulting the window, he felt the familar piece of glass rip away at his pants again. He was pissed at the unfortunate luck but there was no time to blame fate. With as much dexterity he could muster, he stripped all of his clothes, then removed the uniform off the corpse. Then with the same speed he dressed the body with his tattered suit and tie while he assembled the Blue's armor; it was far from a complete fit - what with the vest feeling like a cloak, the pants on the verge of falling, and the helm having enough headroom to bounce his head like a super-ball - but it would have to do. As the finishing touch, he drew the accquired rifle and removed the safety.

-BANG BANG BANG BANG BA- CRACK-

Bullets riddled the corpse drawing new blood, but the gun had splintered in Wilkes' hand. His body had felt a more painful force digging into him, enough to slam him against the floor. There was no blood, but the shrapnel had dug into his armor and helm like what had happened to the Blue-eye behemoth.

Seconds after, the whole squad of Blues bursted in from every direction, guns pointed at everything looking human. With his body well and truly spent, Salt could only watch as they scanned the area.

Think I'm a friendly... Think I'm a friendly...

"Sir! We've got a body. And a soldier down."

In the helicopter, a hulking armoured humanoid frowned at the report; he had hoped that they would arrive and recover their units before the soldiers got killed. But attempt after goddamn attempt, it just seemed that fate wanted to see him suffer. "Check his status!" He barked at the vox. Seconds pass, and he hoped that he was still alive...

"Got a live one. Must have been pinned down before we got here."

Finally, a fucking survivor. "Medic, patch him up. Corporal, when he's done, bring him to the raptor. All others resume search priorities." The commander sighed with relief as he relaxed back into the pilot's seat. With the one guy left, maybe he can give us the scope of the mongrels preying here.