Ridiculously unfair stuff in multiplayer

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
BiggyShackleton said:
The Wykydtron said:
BiggyShackleton said:
Host Advantage in Gears 2. Yeah it got fixed and Gears 3 doesn't have it but in it's prime, you knew who the host was because he had 30+ kills on everyone else.
The funny thing about that game was that whenever you pulled something awesome off, it was marred by the fact that A. You might be the Host so that pentakill wasn't your skill at all or B. Everyone else just calls (correctly or no) "HOST!" and the impact of the win is lessened a bit.

I can't remember if there was a sign on the leaderboard signifying who was the Host...

God I can't believe I forgot about Host Advantage, that was so hilariously bad
Yeah there was no way from telling if someone else had it but the host could tell from some stuff that happened in the run up to the game, ie. the countdown timer would flash twice, you'd actually see it get to 00, subtle things. If you saw that you knew you could pretty much breeze through the enemy team.
On Gears 2 if you threw a smoke and you were host then it'd spin in the air and when a round was over you weren't able to melee.
There's a couple of ways to tell with 3 but they're harder to pinpoint. Host does still play an advantage though, in competitive matches we have our host as main slayer with shotgun just cause it seems to hit harder, and whenever he lancers then he can drop people more reliably.

Jun 11, 2008
Spawn camping and yes I do not give a fuck I will spec nade you for it in CoDs 2 and 4 if you do not stop and you are knowingly doing it. I really don't care you make online multiplayer a bad place to be. Just to clarify I do not mean camping in spawn I mean camping someone else's spawn so you can kill everyone more or less as soon as they step outside.

psilontech

Nov 6, 2010
The plasma gun in Tribes: Ascend for about the five days before they fixed it. Your hitbox for the purposes of that thing hitting you was something along the lines of three to four times that of normal.
But then they fixed it and I was happily doing well in Arena again. Still a bit of a pain to play against, but nothing so insurmountable as it was before they fixed it.

People who intentionally cause lag in CTF of the same game. Pathfinder comes in and grabs the flag under guise of lag and you don't even get told about it until he's teleported 1/4 the way back to his base.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
In regards to Dark Souls, I feel your pain OP. Most of the time, I play Dark Souls either offline, or hollowed. There have been a few occasions when I've had to regain human form online (to kindle bonfires and suchlike) and I was invaded the first time I got into

the Cathedral in Anor Londo, y'know, at the bonfire where you find Solaire?

So I'm still fairly low level for this point of the game, and I'm playing a rougeish character, so I've got light armour and a longbow, and obviously this section isn't easy, I'm making slow, tense progress through this army of bastards who can pretty much one shot me, and I'm like halfway through, when I get invaded by this fucker dual weilding scythes.

Needless to say, it didn't end well, and I had to start the whole fucking section again from scratch. The only consolation I had was that he didn't get any fucking humanity from me, because I didn't have any.

Sieni

Aug 8, 2009
WoW, heirloom items in low-level PvP. (Basically amazing scaling gear you can buy at ~maximum level for your alts)

Don't have a full set? Too bad, enjoy getting oneshotted by almost every other player.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Perhaps submachineguns in general.

Fast rate of fire and unrealistic spread make them more useful than shotguns a lot of times and have such high power that they make both shotguns and assault rifles redundant.

And let's not mention that games like CoD have like 5 square meters of area and the inaccuracy of SMGs doesn't make a difference.

A lot of spawns. The MW spawn system has been broken for the past 3 games with no fix, in BF2 it is plagued by spawnkilling. But at least you can chose where you spawn.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Noshahr canals on Battlefield 3.

If you're on the side that spawns on the carrier then prepare to have a whale of time trying to even make it to the docks as you're being sniped by soldiers, a tank or two and there's an enemy helicopter spawncamping and blowing up your helicopters. What do you do if your helicopters get destroyed?

....You take a boat. A little shitty thing that's just begging for a tank to blow it out of the water provided one of the snipers don't headshot your as you're driving it.

Very unbalanced map is basically what I'm getting at.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
No one said this yet? Yay i'll be the first .

WESKER!
WESKER!
WESKER!

Really anyone that uses Wesker in UMVC3 doesn't care for a fair fight . Best tip i have recieved for dealing with wesker is , don't get hit ... EVER .

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
The most overpowered thing in multiplayer is when your brother screen watches. Always rage-inducing!

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Oh, and another gun that's just retardedly overpowered is the X-Ray sniper rifle from Perfect Dark. It zooms through walls, ceilings, and floors, and you hold down a button and it'll automatically seek out a target and lock onto them, allowing you to pull the trigger and kill them from anywhere on the map.
You're talking about the Farsight XR-20 and it was nowhere near as overpowered as you make it sound. You were a sitting duck whenever you were using it, and the secondary function where you lock onto the enemy moved so slowly it could be outrun. It was useless outside of 1v1 and maybe 2v2.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Well, whole team spawn camping in grifball, and the ledge on swordbase in infection.

thanks for taking whats supposed to be fun, silly gametypes and sucking the fun out for everyone else just so you can pad your stats out with easy kills.

I loved all the raging that blew through the bungie forums when they made the swordbase ledge a soft-kill zone.

exp. 99

Mar 31, 2010
Host advantage is one thing, admittedly. But you know what really rips my cock off?

Freemium content. You know, games where you have to pay real money to unlock certain items/weapons. Now, if the devs are smart, they won't be unbalancing. But even if they ARE smart, often times they'll be such *anyways*, because nobody can catch everything. So what often happens is some of the premium content winds up being a ludicrous advantage, making it pay to win.

It sucks for those of us who either can't pay, or are insulted by the thought of the highest bidder being the winner.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Almost every paid-for gun in Combat Arms. I did a few of the free surveys they have available for Nx points and bought a 7-day Nx-only shotty, and my K/D went through the freaking roof.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Coincidently i finished my latest playthrough of Dark Souls today.

The last invader to come into my game had some pretty broken stats. My spear was doing 200+ damage against him and it was barely registering as chip damage. Then he backstabbed me from the front, and it was an instant kill.

Needless to say i was pretty pissed. After that i would simply quit to whatever passes for a dashboard on PS3 whenever someone tried to invade my game.

Next game i must try to have a greater focus on magics or miracles. Also should join Sunbro's and engage in jolly cooperation.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
The Wykydtron said:
So just a little topic, ever had any insanely unfair games/sessions/team compositions etc etc over the course of your gaming career?

For me it's got to be the Invasion system in Dark Souls 60% of the time. Basically you use an item and you enter a random person's game world and try to murder the fuck out of him for lolz. You only invade upwards level-wise though so you're always supposed to be roundabout the same level as the guy you're invading

People start to abuse the leveling system by not leveling at all and getting end-game equipment (through glitches, getting gifted it or just beating the bosses) to absolutely destroy the newer players they just get matched with. Basically after just about failing a legit Invasion of mine (at level 6 with base eqiupment, naturally) I was then set upon by this guy with the most obcene set of end-game equipment i have ever seen.

Waved at him then quit to dashboard. Not losing my Humanity over such bullshit, and to be honest killing some random noob and taking their probably only Humanity, gains you fuck all and you've just ruined some guy's day...

Another problem comes in from people summoning other people to help fight you off, that on its own is fine, the host has to do whatever it takes to live because you're just waltzing into his game session and trying to ruin potentially hours of progress. But when are actually people summoning guys in advance to wait for your supposedly "random" invade and then ambushing you it starts to seem a bit broken.

Oh, and the Red Soapstone is a joke, never use it. It's meant to be a fair fight where you put your summons down, the guy takes you up on the challenge and you fight to the death. Instead he summons a fuckton of guys, summons you and they all just spawn kill you.
:p Sounds like you just don't like games that are built specifically for griefing. The funny thing about Dark Souls is that you don't need to be invaded, the game itself is quite proficient at griefing on its own. :p

Snip
That's the thing, i've all but beaten the game now (final boss is a dick) and I think spending 90% of the game Hollow probably missed me half of the content that makes the game unique.

Once you get used to the game (takes about 50 hours XP) the enemies start to get less difficult since you can tank a load of hits with decent stamina, predict their movements and fishing for backstabs becomes second nature so upgrading to PvP/coop is probably where the rest of the fun in the game is going to come from for me.

I just wish it was less broken...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
In the hands of a pro, the Sniper Rifle in Halo. If you don't have anything to at least harass him with, you're dead.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
My own contribution would be the Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. Okay they're not that overpowered perhaps (though they're awfully quick for such a hard-hitting duo), but the fact that one of them can damage you while you can't damage her just strikes me as so damned unfair. That shit just ain't right.
Aircross said:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

TF2, 95% ubercharge, A WILD CROCKET APPEARS!
And that's why a good team plays with Pyro's, and uses Snipers for that job instead of Soldiers. I just love ruining a Medic's day with a well-placed headshot. No need for randomness.
xptn40S said:
Unfair stuff in multiplayer?

The first thing that came to my mind was Battlefield 3.
Indeed. I'm not sure whether it's because of the reason you stated, but 9/10 games I join has one team being completely pancaked by the other. There just barely seems to be room for some sort of middle ground, like, ever. That's why I barely play BF3 these days.
anthony87 said:
Noshahr canals on Battlefield 3.

If you're on the side that spawns on the carrier then prepare to have a whale of time trying to even make it to the docks as you're being sniped by soldiers, a tank or two and there's an enemy helicopter spawncamping and blowing up your helicopters. What do you do if your helicopters get destroyed?

....You take a boat. A little shitty thing that's just begging for a tank to blow it out of the water provided one of the snipers don't headshot your as you're driving it.

Very unbalanced map is basically what I'm getting at.
That used to be the case, but the BF3 community has really discovered the fixed AA gun on the carrier, letting the US team dominate that map's airspace relatively easy, ruining the RU's team's day. I've seen it happen so damned often. I mean really that gun can even pepper point B itself.