Rik Mayall RIP

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
The amazingly funny and genuinely decent bloke Rik Mayall has passed away.

Seriously this guy shaped British comedy in the 80's.
My fellow Brit's join my in some of his finest moments, and to those who have never heard of him, for shame, watch and enjoy!

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
RIP to one of the funniest men of the last 40 years.
Star of:
The Young Ones
The New Statesman
Bottom
and of course
Blackadder [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfbSHW9uGA]
Plus possibly the greatest game adverts [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3kMZ7sEm8] ever made.
He will be sadly missed.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I don't know how many of you are fans of Blackadder or the movie Drop Dead Fred, but for those of you who are: Mayall's gone. No word on how.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Gutted. Loved Lord Flashheart and The Young Ones. You will be missed Rik.

And of course we cannot not forget his contributions to gaming. Namely the hilarious voice overs he did for Hogs of War.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Lord Flashheart is dead? What about Bombardier Bitter, his weird cousin?

This is a damn shame, that man knew how to ham it up.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
The Young Ones got me hooked on that type of comedy, and while Vivian was my favourite character, Rik Mayalls "Rick" was certainly a damned close second. Bottom...especially live...was amazing, hell I loved Drop Dead Fred. Sadly never watched the New Statesman - best correct that mistake and laugh once more at a great, great comedian.

How anybody can watch him ripping the set to shreds in Blackadder and not laugh till they shit themselves, I have no idea.

*raises glass*
Sad news.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Shocking and dreadful news. I grew up watching The Young Ones and Bottom and playing Hogs of War.

What a legend, gone too soon. RIP. ;;

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
sad stuff, loved bottom and the young ones.
he had an accident on a quadbike awhile ago and was in a coma for a few days, dunno if it is related though.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Terrible news.

Arguably the face of the 80's alternative comedy movement and one of the funniest comic actors of all time.

RIP Rik

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Holy fucking Christ, really!?

Jesus, that came out of the blue.

He was one of those people I didn't expect to die for atleast another 30 years. One of the old guards he was.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Got Young Ones, Black Adder and Bottom on DVD.
Guess I've got to grab the Bottom movie then...

Very sad. Father and so young!!! :'(
And so funny, damn!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Very sad news. I absolutely loved him and his wonderful brand of anarchic comedy in The Young Ones and Bottom, not to mention his show-stealing performances in Blackadder as (occasionally Squadron Commander) the Lord Flasheart and his amazing voice work in Hogs of War. What a fantastic comedian and what a terrible loss :(

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Good night, Lord Flasheart.

May angels speed you to your place of rest.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Absolutely gutted. Used to watch the young ones all the time when I was younger, and that show only had 12 episodes.

May 26, 2014
RIP Rik.

Sad to hear, big part of the alternative comedy of the 80s, The Comic Strip, The Young Ones, Kevin Turvey, New Statesman, Blackadder and the slapstick wonder of Bottom. I grew up with his comedy.

He was working recently, alongside Greg Davies in Man Down for Channel 4.

56 is far too young.

'I've got a plan, and it's as HOT as My PANTS!!'

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
carlsberg export said:
sad stuff, loved bottom and the young ones.
he had an accident on a quadbike awhile ago and was in a coma for a few days, dunno if it is related though.
No info on the cause yet but the quadbike accident was actually in 98 so I would be surprised if it was directly related.

Rest in Peace, same age as my dad and a large part of my childhood bonding with my parents sat watching Blackadder, The Young Ones and Bottom when I got a bit older.

And Hogs of War had some hilarious one liners from what I remember.

All in all a sad day.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
He was a big part of my childhood, comedy will never be the same again...