Riot Claims League of Legends Is "the Most Played Video Game"

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Every, and I really mean every LoL player that I know has at least 5 smurf accounts. With the referral system and brainless banning of people, I honestly don't believe a thing on that picture.

The fact that Riot likes to (drastically) increase the number of viewers on their streams by adding bots doesn't go in their favor.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Every, and I really mean every LoL player that I know has at least 5 smurf accounts. With the referral system and brainless banning of people, I honestly don't believe a thing on that picture.

The fact that Riot likes to (drastically) increase the number of viewers on their streams by adding bots doesn't go in their favor.
Except for me, who only has one account.

Don't make blanket statements.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
snowfi6916 said:
BiH-Kira said:

Reading comprenhension goes a long way. Unless of couse you know him, in which case he forgot about you.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Tanakh said:
snowfi6916 said:
BiH-Kira said:

Reading comprenhension goes a long way. Unless of couse you know him, in which case he forgot about you.
Ah. My bad.

Need coffee =).

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Interesting how they released this right after their tournament blew up every other round.

Talk about damage control.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Jhooud said:
KeyboardSnorlax said:
Never played it, and from what I've read people say about the community on other LoL topics here, never will lol
Same here, I'm none too anxious to learn new and exciting ways to be insulted. Though I sometimes wonder if the community is really that vile, or just the victim of perception.
Victim perception.

I've been playing since beta...and it's really nothing worse than anything you'd experience with any other online community, or sport for that matter.

Also there's a mute feature. It's handy.
I don't know... generally speaking, going through early level dungeons in WoW won't net you being bombarded by "LOL YOU'RE A FAG, REPORTING YOU FOR BEING BAD!" like playing a few low-level games in LoL does... that's not to say it doesn't happen, it's just fairly infrequent.

I think it's just that MOBAs are more competitive by nature than, say, WoW or TF2. Sure, you run in to the jerks in those games too, but not with the same regularity as a hyper-competitive game like HoN or LoL or DotA.

Anyway, after having picked up the game a little over a week ago and promptly getting stomped into the dirt by Teemo (not to mention AP Yi, but that's something else entirely), it's funny to see the number of Teemo deaths being "recorded".

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Considering that I've never even heard of League of Legends, colour me extremely sceptical.

Oh, and since I'm doing a Statistics course at the moment, I'd really like a chance to tear their sources apa- I mean, check their numbers...

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Teemo deaths probably went up about 900% once the Cottontail (aka Global Taunt) Teemo skin went on sale.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The infographic compares the number of accounts for a free-to-play game to purchase counts of $60+ premium titles, which is slightly unorthodox. (would be better served comparing itself to other free-to-play titels) It, as well, compares player counts on a single day for Steam, to the highest player count average over the course of a month. Also take note that it says "650,000 players on the top 100 games" while, for LoLs stat, it's number of uses logged on, not actually playing.

Then, it claims that LoL players rack up over a billion play hours a month whilst also claiming a little under 60% are enrolled in college.

Either those are the laziest college courses I've ever heard of or someone's lying here. Perhaps the infographic, with inflated numbers, or the players lying about their academic level. (I'm assuming the latter)

Either way, this chart seems rather misleading. A lot of these stats need more context than is provided. I'm going to look into the listed sources and see for myself which of these stats hold up. Who knows? Maybe they all do. But again, context is key.

[edit]
On a side note, Riots hyperbole aside, I'm fairly certain Angry Birds or Farmville are played more than League of Legends.

But they don't count, right guys? Because they're not "real" video games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
KeyboardSnorlax said:
Never played it, and from what I've read people say about the community on other LoL topics here, never will lol
your very right to do so, the people that say it are correct.

Well, according to game tracking services like Xfire, Raptr, Steam and others, LOL has beaten WOW and took 1st place around like what, a year ago? maybe not that far back, but been a long time.
Now sure, this is not a define evidence as people sometimes use multiple services, or dont use either, and even play offline so no tracking and therefore skews the results (especially seen on singlepalyer based games, as more people play that offline obviously.) but its the best stats we get save for forcing all companies to show us their data.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
JoshV said:
Most of the exact methodology of how they determined their numbers is not mentioned in the infographic, but a few of the stats are further explained, and some of them stick out as rather curious. For example, the peak concurrent players of the top 100 games on Steam was determined to be 650,000 based on one single day, while the 3 million figure of League of Legends peak concurrent players was apparently determined based on an entire month of data.
Actually what it says is that the data was taken from an Average day in the Month of July. This is allowing for the fact that, during summer months, average playtimes would be higher than in non-summer months due to Summer Break and kids of school age being home for more hours of the day.

Edit: As for my own opinion, as a regular player of the game I can attest to the sheer number of people who play it. I've never played a game short of maybe Halo 3 during it's heyday where I could find a random multiplayer match in around 15 seconds on average. Bear in mind this is twenty-four hours a day. (I run on PST)

Also in terms of how they got the numbers, always check the bottom corners of such infographics as they usually cite their sources there. In this case they did and you can check out the sites and studies at your leisure.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
And.....what is this supposed to do for me? Is this supposed to get me to want to play? Is it to make their game seem superior? I'm confused. I don't see why those statistics really matter right now.

Seriously, why should I care how many people play?

It's like the MEmultiplayer stats. I love ME and all, but no stat in the world is going to get me to pay extra for multiplayer when I'm forced to only use it on one console.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
CleverCover said:
And.....what is this supposed to do for me? Is this supposed to get me to want to play? Is it to make their game seem superior? I'm confused. I don't see why those statistics really matter right now.

Seriously, why should I care how many people play?

It's like the MEmultiplayer stats. I love ME and all, but no stat in the world is going to get me to pay extra for multiplayer when I'm forced to only use it on one console.
Or it's for fun. You know, because numbers get people off.

I'm enjoying the "I'm just going to assume they assumed these numbers" posts in this thread. Because doing what you claim they just did really -really- speaks volumes of your own "hard work". :p

I'm not surprised by any of this. They made the same infographic somewhere around the end of season 1. It's probably going to stay a seasonal thing.