Riot Employee Fired After League of Legends Blowup

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
deth2munkies said:
I've played with him before, he gets that way when he's on a tilt. I had NO idea that Riot had hired him to do anything, though. Shame...
squid5580 said:
Newb question. Laugh if you must. But what is "feeding"?
Intentionally dying repeatedly to give the other team money and xp.
Not intentionally. Just getting repeatedly owned. The counterpart to getting fed.
Yes intentionally, last I heard sucking isn't against the rules. Feeding (at least in this context) refers only to playing for another players benefit and not your own.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Jadak said:
AngryMongoose said:
deth2munkies said:
I've played with him before, he gets that way when he's on a tilt. I had NO idea that Riot had hired him to do anything, though. Shame...
squid5580 said:
Not intentionally. Just getting repeatedly owned. The counterpart to getting fed.
Yes intentionally, last I heard sucking isn't against the rules. Feeding (at least in this context) refers only to playing for another players benefit and not your own.
Yes it is intentionally just like he said, it is like trolling. Those people is just trying to make their teammate mad. I play DotA/Lol/HoN for quite some time, met quite a few of them. They usually like to insult your mother and other races as well. They are basicly the troll of DotA games.

Normal sucking if you are not rude and don't insult people's mom, people will just call you noobs not feeders.

However, nowdays the term is over-used, just like troll. People basicly call everyone they don't like Feeders/trolls.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
And this is exactly why I can't work in public relations. Let alone for online multiplayer games.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
deth2munkies said:
squid5580 said:
Not necessarily intentionally, the term has basically become slang for someone who dies a lot and doesn't do much to offset it.

On a second note, anyone who's interested in League of Legends should probably check out the group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-s-League-of-Legends-Group].

We have comments up about this already =D

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
littlewisp said:
It's sad to see someone lose a job over what was most likely a heat-of-the-moment reaction to unpleasant behavior
It's sad someone got accepted into a job that he is clearly incapable of handling. :| Good on Riot for acting so quickly.
Clearly incapable of handling? You don't seem to understand "heat of the moment". Everyone has bad days, even the most level-headed, responsible and customer oriented rep. Also consider that any customer rep spends the majority of their time dealing with pissed off customers. I am not saying this guy is that person but I can understand someone reaching the "straw that broke the camel's back" moment. Riot did the right thing by listening to their customers and dealing with the issue, beyond that we don't have enough information to level judgement as to his capability.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
littlewisp said:
It's sad to see someone lose a job over what was most likely a heat-of-the-moment reaction to unpleasant behavior
It's sad someone got accepted into a job that he is clearly incapable of handling. :| Good on Riot for acting so quickly.
Clearly incapable of handling? You don't seem to understand "heat of the moment". Everyone has bad days, even the most level-headed, responsible and customer oriented rep. Also consider that any customer rep spends the majority of their time dealing with pissed off customers. I am not saying this guy is that person but I can understand someone reaching the "straw that broke the camel's back" moment. Riot did the right thing by listening to their customers and dealing with the issue, beyond that we don't have enough information to level judgement as to his capability.
It's my opinion. I've worked behind the counter. I've had people yelling at me. I might be screaming inside, but I've always shown a professional face. If it gets really bad, well, that's what supervisors are for. So, I guess I just have no sympathy for this guy?

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
As a casual League player myself, I've seen Riot take disgusting and childish abuse along with every released patch. I'd love nothing more than to support a Riot employee for simply returning the favour. Sad fact of life is, however, its just inappropriate to fire back. A double standard, certainly, but not an unfair one. This guy deserved to get canned.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
littlewisp said:
Ken Sapp said:
littlewisp said:
It's my opinion. I've worked behind the counter. I've had people yelling at me. I might be screaming inside, but I've always shown a professional face. If it gets really bad, well, that's what supervisors are for. So, I guess I just have no sympathy for this guy?
No he was clearly in the wrong and the company did the right thing. I am just saying that one situation is not enough to make a judgement of overall capability. I would not like working in a job like that myself and do my best to not be "that" customer but I can easily see how someone can quickly be pushed over the edge.

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
littlewisp said:
When in such situations, my instinctive reaction is to laugh. Sometimes it's difficult not to laugh (as it would only aggrevate many situations).

As for this story, it certainly makes me laugh. Feeding: the continual (intentional or otherwise) process of dying, respawning, running in, and dying again - usually from reckless play. In half the LoL games I've played, there's always at least one feeder (sometimes even me when going "random"). For someone to get so worked up about it, especially an employee who should've known better, is hilarious. He also deserved to get fired.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"It's sad to see someone lose a job over what was most likely a heat-of-the-moment reaction to unpleasant behavior"

How is it sad that a jerk who not only broke the rules he was hired to uphold but also abused his position for personal gratification got fired?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dectilon said:
How is it sad that a jerk who not only broke the rules he was hired to uphold but also abused his position for personal gratification got fired?
Because I don't like to see people deprived of their living, I suppose. I'm not saying this guy wasn't behaving like a douche - he clearly was - I just think that taken as a stand-alone incident, it's too bad that someone had to lose their job over what was essentially an argument on the internet. Riot did the right thing, this guy was way over the line, but that doesn't mean it's not an unfortunate outcome.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Does the phrase "police brutality" come to anyone else's minds?

I'm glad this bastard got fired.

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I must say i love league of legends thoroughly, but most of the community is always on pins and needles and over aggressive. It's quite sad to see people rage all the time in game and rage quit or just not stop harassing. But this is pretty pathetic it being a GM. Not just a GM but anyone who can't control their emotions in game is sad,and ruins what is a really great game.

But good on Riot for their actions.

robakerson

Feb 19, 2010
Kalezian said:
Glad to hear that the guy got what he deserved though, I hope the player atleast gets unbanned quickly.
also, what kind of dumbass would stream that over Justin.Tv live?
Apparently the GM in question reduced the ban to 2 days.
*However*, in Riot's apology/explanation post, they said they lifted the ban completely.
(good on them, too)

Also, he probably didn't record just for the sake of this argument, most streamers leave their streams on for several consecutive games (hours of gaming). Likely he was in the middle of a string of games when this happened.

Andy Chalk said:
...I just think that taken as a stand-alone incident, it's too bad that someone had to lose their job over what was essentially an argument on the internet...
For the amount of blatant infractions this guy is guilty of in this instance, I disagree.
1) He used racial slurs and other terms to attack another player repeatedly during a game
2) He outright *lied* about why he was banning this guy
3) He abused his privilege to ban on someone mainly because he disagreed with his playstyle (the banee was doing something extremely common, which is generally regarded as poor playstyle but not against the rules in any way)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
"I would've gotten away with it to, if it wasn't for that meddling video I... posted... hmm, hindsight's a *****."