Riot Employee Fired After League of Legends Blowup

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Because I don't like to see people deprived of their living, I suppose. I'm not saying this guy wasn't behaving like a douche - he clearly was - I just think that taken as a stand-alone incident, it's too bad that someone had to lose their job over what was essentially an argument on the internet. Riot did the right thing, this guy was way over the line, but that doesn't mean it's not an unfortunate outcome.
I would just like to point out that he was not solely fired for banning that player and the stuff he said. He also got caught giving favors such as unreleased content to his friends online, in this case an unreleased Garen skin.

"I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I know what is going to happen. Caller, I'm sorry to have dragged you into this even though nobody knows you, your name is still in the screenshot. They will ask me why you have that skin and I'll tell them the truth but I doubt they'll let you hang onto it. Sorry again."

-PsyonicHero

source [http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=166123¤tpage=210]

Also, shortly after Psyonic was hired he got caught leaking unannounced patch notes, so he's probably been a on pretty tight leash ever since then.

Saying they fired him for his offenses against XXiipp (the banned player) however had the added bonus of appeasing the forum lynch mob that had formed over night

Edit: By the way Psyonic is a former Starcraft/SCII caster that was hired as an intern at Riot. He's not a true employee so it makes sense that he wouldn't be given alot of slack.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
He got what he deserved, and it's good to see that Riot is acknowledging the employee's wrongdoing.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
deth2munkies said:
I've played with him before, he gets that way when he's on a tilt. I had NO idea that Riot had hired him to do anything, though. Shame...
squid5580 said:
Newb question. Laugh if you must. But what is "feeding"?
Intentionally dying repeatedly to give the other team money and xp.
Thats the technical definition, but anyone who dies repeatedly, on purpose or not, tends to get accused of feeding. Basically it means you are a detriment to the team, and an asset to the opposing team.

It's like being called a "Camper" in an FPS, it's a term thats generally lost it's true meaning and instead implies a dissatisfaction with the way someone plays, not necessarily related to what the word really means.

robakerson said:
Kalezian said:
Glad to hear that the guy got what he deserved though, I hope the player atleast gets unbanned quickly.
also, what kind of dumbass would stream that over Justin.Tv live?
Apparently the GM in question reduced the ban to 2 days.
*However*, in Riot's apology/explanation post, they said they lifted the ban completely.
(good on them, too)

Also, he probably didn't record just for the sake of this argument, most streamers leave their streams on for several consecutive games (hours of gaming). Likely he was in the middle of a string of games when this happened.

Andy Chalk said:
...I just think that taken as a stand-alone incident, it's too bad that someone had to lose their job over what was essentially an argument on the internet...
For the amount of blatant infractions this guy is guilty of in this instance, I disagree.
1) He used racial slurs and other terms to attack another player repeatedly during a game
2) He outright *lied* about why he was banning this guy
3) He abused his privilege to ban on someone mainly because he disagreed with his playstyle (the banee was doing something extremely common, which is generally regarded as poor playstyle but not against the rules in any way)
I'm curious what exactly he was doing that was so bad now. Backdooring? Dying to creeps?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
poiumty said:
deth2munkies said:
squid5580 said:
Not necessarily intentionally, someone could feed because he's just a bad player.
Which is the #1 reason I don't deal with DotA online anymore.
People will ***** about ANYTHING they perceive as bad for their game, and then leave.
#1 is accusing others of "feeding" then jumping ship, which usually causes the avalanche of game leavers causing the match to end before it ever really begins.

Huge problem in pub DotA.

But this? This is unprofessional. I know DotA is highly competitive, but seriously.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
It's sad really I've watched his stream for quite awhile back when he was PysonicReaver and an aspiring Terran player in sc2 beta.

I am completely surprised he would pull something like this he's always been a pretty manner guy for the most part. I don't even know how or why he would do these things. He got what he deserved but damn I feel kinda bad for the guy.

I am honestly hoping he finds a new employment soon and hopefully keeps his anger in check. Things must of changed quite abit for him to rage and say things like this. How sad..

PurpleSkull

Mar 20, 2009
poiumty said:
deth2munkies said:
squid5580 said:
Not necessarily intentionally, someone could feed because he's just a bad player.
Thought about that when i read squids question. Although people get called "feeder" when they just play really bad, the term itself describes someone doing it intentionally. Or at least implies he does it. It's meant as an insult in this case. So yeah, "feeding" means dying on purpose, not because you're bad, essentially.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lancer723 said:
I would just like to point out that he was not solely fired for banning that player and the stuff he said. He also got caught giving favors such as unreleased content to his friends online, in this case an unreleased Garen skin.
That's not entirely surprising in some ways - a lot of terminations from a lot of jobs is kind of a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing - but this, according to Riot, was the reason he was shown the door. If what you say is true, yeah, it's not surprising he didn't get any leeway on this one, although the abuse of admin powers is pretty hard to let slide. It's one thing to get hot and tell off somebody who's being a non-stop asshole, but misusing your authority to stick it to him is something else entirely, and not something you can sweep under the rug in such a community-focused environment.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Dectilon said:
How is it sad that a jerk who not only broke the rules he was hired to uphold but also abused his position for personal gratification got fired?
Because I don't like to see people deprived of their living, I suppose. I'm not saying this guy wasn't behaving like a douche - he clearly was - I just think that taken as a stand-alone incident, it's too bad that someone had to lose their job over what was essentially an argument on the internet. Riot did the right thing, this guy was way over the line, but that doesn't mean it's not an unfortunate outcome.
I reckon it was a good call for the company- to make an example of someone who abuses admin powers and engages in douchebaggery that yes, is very easy to partake in (but just as easily avoided too - if not, seek help).

The problem is, that 'argument on the internet' he had that you mentioned IS very much connected to his job - the article says he's a customer service rep - someone that is supposed to solve or alleviate disputes and put minds at rest about particular issues and a port of call for people to go to when answers are needed. Also, as a representative of his company/interest/agency, it's his responsibility to ensure him and the entity associated with him is seen in a positive light.

In that very outward display of his- he turned his job description on its head and pissed all over it - not only did he not solve a problem, he made it worse by making himself- a customer service rep - representing his company; unapproachable, antisocial, racist and far from helpful.

If they weren't going to fire him, then perhaps they could offer him the position of janitor so he can be as abusive, antisocial and racist as he wants to be; since then it wouldn't be his job to specifically deal with people positively and socially anymore.

That job was obviously not right for him, he should not be making a living from it- a favor was done for all parties- and he should find a living in doing something that suits him more. That or perhaps he should shape up something decent for the next customer rep job he wants to take up.

Seth Jelinek

Jun 2, 2011
feeding in LOL is when you continuously die to enemy an enemy player, therefore 'feeding' him gold and XP for getting kills. One feeder can lose the game for a team by making one or two enemy champs too powerful to fast, to the point they might even be capable of wiping your team entirely by themselves. A fed Katarina for example has an AoE attack that can devastate an entire team, if she has enough power it will often lead to a very short, and very unbalanced match and your team will lose horribly. (although good teamwork can counter this, still a feeder is just seriously bad news for you and your teammates)