RIP Monty Oum 1981-2015

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.gofundme.com/MontyandSheena

Rooster Teeth's Monty Oum the guy behind Haloid, Dead Fantasy and most recently the animation in Red vs Blue and of course RWBY is currently in critical condition and may not pull through. Above is a link to a gofundme to help his family with medical expenses.

Keep fighting Monty

Update: At 4.34pm yesterday Monty passed away as the result of a severe allergic reaction during a medical procedure.

RIP

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Any news on what actually happened to him? Both the site linked and the rooster teeth home page just say that he's in critical condition but neither one says why.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Any news on what actually happened to him? Both the site linked and the rooster teeth home page just say that he's in critical condition but neither one says why.
Family don't want it to be made public

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks for sharing this news Mat.

Wishing and hoping for good news for his colleagues and family.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
That's terrible news.

My condolences and well-wishes to Monty, his family, and the entire Rooster Teeth team.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's... depressing. All we can do is wish him the best, I guess... (crosses figers0

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well...fuck. Came right out of nowhere.

I hope he's ok.

On the bright side, it looks like money isn't going to be an issue for his medical bills.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Oh... Crap man.

I hope the poor guy makes it.

Now I'm just wondering what the heck happened to him.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I sincerely hoped he recovery.

While they didn't explain the cause of it but I wonder if its his lifestyle (since from what I seen of him, he seen to be a workaholic) or maybe he had an accident somewhere?

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
Wait, what? Really?! I really hope Monty pulls through whatever it is. Awful news. Always liked him on the podcast. :(

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
I sincerekly hoped he recovery.

While they didn't explain the cause of it but I wonder if its his lifestyle (since from what I seen of him, he seen to be a workaholic) or maybe he had an accident somewhere?
They're asking fans not to speculate or spread rumours, though I think that's mostly aimed at the Tumblr fanbase.

You know how fast rumours on Tumblr spread... >.>

I'll be honest, my first thought was traffic accident or something. It seems way too sudden to be a lifestyle thing. Of course there's a darker theory in my head that I'm gonna keep to myself....

Stuff like this makes me feel like such a fake fan though. I really want him to recover and come back, but seeing his go-fund-me my first thought is how people who aren't famous and go through things like this would never be so lucky as to get their medical bills paid for, and extra.

KingOfGreyfell

Oct 7, 2011
While I respect the sentiment of wanting to keep details to a minimum in order to respect Monty's privacy, keeping so quiet during a time like this only breeds rumors, and is accidentally cruel to those prone to worrying.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Monty is a remarkably talented person, and from what I can see in podcasts and such, seemingly a pretty cool guy. As both a RWBY and RT fan, I REALLY hope he pulls through.

):

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
sky14kemea said:
Scarim Coral said:
I sincerekly hoped he recovery.

I'll be honest, my first thought was traffic accident or something. It seems way too sudden to be a lifestyle thing. Of course there's a darker theory in my head that I'm gonna keep to myself....

Stuff like this makes me feel like such a fake fan though. I really want him to recover and come back, but seeing his go-fund-me my first thought is how people who aren't famous and go through things like this would never be so lucky as to get their medical bills paid for, and extra.
It's kind of sad that my mind went to some dark theories as well. On a more positive not, I think it is a good thing that people can get funding for things like this. Too many artists have had their work cut short due to financial and medical issues. In humanitarian terms, though, I've heard of regular people crowd funding medical procedures, so I try to be thankful that such things can exist in this day and age.

I've never seen any of his stuff, it's not my cup of tea, but I hope he's okay. Stuff like this makes me sad.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Hoping he is able to recover. Only time I've even seen him is when CrossCounterTV (fighting game YT channel) were doing some crossover content with Rooster Teeth, so haven't actually watched any of RWBY or whatever. Seemed like a cool fellow.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Is it fair that he doesn't pay for my medical bills, and I don't pay for his?
Otherwise, I don't know what happened to him, and i'm not willing to spend money on a mystery accident.

At the same time though, as I have no idea if he's actually hurt or in a hospital, but if he truly did get shot by a harpoon gun, I wish him the best of luck and a complete recovery.

DirectorK

Aug 22, 2014
While I may not like Monty Oum at the moment I do wish him well and hope that he recovers. However, I must admit that I've been having my own dark theories about this as well because of how sudden and unexpected this is. I stayed silent about this but since someone else brought it up I might as well put my two cents it. I will be perfectly honest, I was ready to donate when I first heard about this but some voice in the back of my head was warning me not to. I don't know why, but some instinct telling me that something's not right.

It's understandable that Rooster Teeth is being silent initially partly because they don't know anything at the moment and because they don't want people to panic. But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition because, let's be honest, we are fans regardless on what side we're on and we are just as concerned as they are. So why keep us in the dark? You start pushing this past three days without a single word and people, specifically the ones who have made donations, are bound to get suspicious because they don't like not being given all the details of what exactly is going on. It's their money after all, and they're giving it away for a good cause.

Again, this is all speculation. I want to see Monty Oum recover as much as the next person does. However, is this turns out to be a sham, it's going to create a HUGE uproar. And I mean HUGE. Again, I'm not saying that's the case for I highly doubt Rooster Teeth would lower themselves to that standard.

We'll see. Until then, best wishes to Monty for a speedy recover.

Ahri_Blaze

Sep 9, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
Its probably not going to be made public for a long time. However due to the description and the suddenness of it the best I can extrapolate is that he was in an accident of some kind. Car wreck, biking incident, etc. Something to that regard. With a sickness there are often signs. I know he leads and active twitter life so there might've been something saying "getting small work done." or something like that. Being that there's none of that my best guess is a freak physical accident.

Best wishes to him too. Even if they are only fight scenes it would be a crime for the animation world to lose such raw talent so soon.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
DirectorK said:
While I may not like Monty Oum at the moment I do wish him well and hope that he recovers. However, I must admit that I've been having my own dark theories about this as well because of how sudden and unexpected this is. I stayed silent about this but since someone else brought it up I might as well put my two cents it. I will be perfectly honest, I was ready to donate when I first heard about this but some voice in the back of my head was warning me not to. I don't know why, but some instinct telling me that something's not right.

It's understandable that Rooster Teeth is being silent initially partly because they don't know anything at the moment and because they don't want people to panic. But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition because, let's be honest, we are fans regardless on what side we're on and we are just as concerned as they are. So why keep us in the dark? You start pushing this past three days without a single word and people, specifically the ones who have made donations, are bound to get suspicious because they don't like not being given all the details of what exactly is going on. It's their money after all, and they're giving it away for a good cause.

Again, this is all speculation. I want to see Monty Oum recover as much as the next person does. However, is this turns out to be a sham, it's going to create a HUGE uproar. And I mean HUGE. Again, I'm not saying that's the case for I highly doubt Rooster Teeth would lower themselves to that standard.

We'll see. Until then, best wishes to Monty for a speedy recover.
Everyone at RT is taking the weekend off in order to deal with the fact that a close friend is currently in serious condition in hospital (Watch the latest Know it All Ashley is clearly holding back tears). Monty is also a very private person and they want to respect that, he's been married a year and this is the first time it's been made public for example.