RIP Monty Oum 1981-2015

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Baffle said:
DirectorK said:
But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition
No you don't. You have no right to that information at all.
That's patently untrue. They've already made us aware of the fact that he's in critical condition, it would be downright irresponsible and cruel to withhold any changes to his condition now.

VikingKing

Sep 5, 2012
For all those people wishing Monty a swift recovery, I support and agree with you.

Everyone who demands more information, not asking but demanding, you're pushing the boundries of good manners.

We do not need to verify this story or interogate the people involved to ensure their request is reasonable. If you don't feel comfortable providing funds, than don't do so. Simple as that.

I'll be glad to know Mister Ohm is better, but that's all I need. One of the worst things you can do for someone in trouble is forcing your hand while trying to help.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't know who this is but you'd think at least they'd tell you what happened to him before asking for money.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
That's patently untrue. They've already made us aware of the fact that he's in critical condition, it would be downright irresponsible and cruel to withhold any changes to his condition now.
So you feel that even if the family don't want that information made available to the public, for whatever reason, you should be given it anyway? I don't see what possible business it is of the general public.
The hows or whys aren't what I'm concerned with. That should absolutely remain private if the family wants them to. All I think we deserve is the whats. Is he doing better? Is he doing worse? That's not too much to ask. If they hadn't already publicly announced his condition, I'd be right with you saying we don't deserve to know anything, but they have. They can't just say he's in critical condition and then not say anything when that changes. That'd be pretty fucked up.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Kolby Jack said:
Baffle said:
DirectorK said:
But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition
No you don't. You have no right to that information at all.
What? What kind of logic is that? Can nobody keep anything private anymore? This is sensitive stuff, and I don't care how much of a fan you are, unless you're close to him personally I don't see how this can be 'cruel' to hold back from people who, frankly, have absolutely nothing to do with it. I understand his fans care about him, but I would hope they also care just as much about his family's wishes in such a trying time. Is it really so difficult to understand that they don't want to give every personal detail?

The fact they came out about his condition to begin with was probably a gesture to the fans to let them know why he won't be producing content for a while, and to gain financial support. They want to keep the details amongst those closest to him. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

EDIT: I just seen your above response. I see now that I misread your comment, and I apologize. I don't entirely agree that we should be informed with every little change to his condition, but I'm sure he'll let us know when he gets better.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Likely an accident, since this is so sudden.

I do think it's a little rude to be asking about what happened to him, if that's information they want to keep private then let them. If you want to donate but iffy on the situation, you could just do that when that information is revealed later on.

Though if I were hospitalized I'd like to let EVERYBODY know about what happened immediately...

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Baffle said:
Aerosteam said:
Though if I were hospitalized I'd like to let EVERYBODY know about what happened immediately...
That kind of depends on why you've been hospitalised. I probably wouldn't want to tell everyone I'd been involved in a car accident when I was too drunk to drive, for example. [For clarity, I'm absolutely not saying that's the case here, I don't actually know who this guy is.]
Well I don't drink or drive so I didn't take that into account. :p

But yeah, if it were an accident that's really embarrassing like getting my dick stuck in something I'd like less people to know as possible...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
So you feel that even if the family don't want that information made available to the public, for whatever reason, you should be given it anyway? I don't see what possible business it is of the general public.
It became the business of the general public when they announced it publicly and asked the general public for money. If they wanted to keep it private then they should have dealt with it themselves and not asked for fans to contribute. You can't have your cake and eat it. Either you ask for donations and make it clear what's happening and how the donations are being used, or you you keep everything to yourself.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
DirectorK said:
While I may not like Monty Oum at the moment I do wish him well and hope that he recovers. However, I must admit that I've been having my own dark theories about this as well because of how sudden and unexpected this is. I stayed silent about this but since someone else brought it up I might as well put my two cents it. I will be perfectly honest, I was ready to donate when I first heard about this but some voice in the back of my head was warning me not to. I don't know why, but some instinct telling me that something's not right.
Yeah, someone's been hospitalized and apparently might die at a very young age. Something is definitely "not right" about that.

It's understandable that Rooster Teeth is being silent initially partly because they don't know anything at the moment and because they don't want people to panic But after a day or two we deserve to know something about Monty's condition
No, stop right there. You don't. You really don't. That is not the kind of relationship that an artist has with a fan. If his family wants the specifics of the situation to remain private, then that's how it's going to be, and the fans absolutely do NOT get a say in the matter. His family does not owe you anything, not even to the people that donated. All they said was "Monty is in trouble, please help us if you can". They did not promise anything in return, and the people who donated were giving out of the kindness of their hearts and nothing more. You don't get to say "Hey, I gave you guys 10 bucks, now tell me everything". That is not how this works.
because, let's be honest, we are fans regardless on what side we're on and we are just as concerned as they are.
Really? Are you married to the guy? Did you give birth to him or raise him? Hell, do you spend your week working and hanging out with him? Do you even know him personally? Because unless any of those things are true, I really fucking doubt that you are.
So why keep us in the dark?
I don't know, this little thing called 'respect for Monty and his family"? There is more at stake here than your, or any fan's, piece of mind. If his family wants it remain private, then it remains private. You do not get a say in the matter. There is no "vote". It doesn't matter what their reasoning is for their decision, and you don't even get to ask.

I'm going to bold this next part because it's important.

You, as a fan, get to lend whatever support you feel comfortable giving, and you do not ask for anything in return. That is your only part to play in this situation.
You start pushing this past three days without a single word and people, specifically the ones who have made donations, are bound to get suspicious because they don't like not being given all the details of what exactly is going on. It's their money after all, and they're giving it away for a good cause.

Again, this is all speculation. I want to see Monty Oum recover as much as the next person does. However, is this turns out to be a sham, it's going to create a HUGE uproar. And I mean HUGE. Again, I'm not saying that's the case for I highly doubt Rooster Teeth would lower themselves to that standard.

We'll see. Until then, best wishes to Monty for a speedy recover.
What. The Hell. Are you talking about?

What you talking about??!!

I won't go even bother addressing the obvious moral reasons they would never do this, because I don't have to. There are plenty of perfectly logical reasons the thing you just said is utter and complete nonsense.

Why? What would be the point? They've proven they have a dedicated fanbase, I don't doubt that they could make a kickstarter for buying Burnie a new pair of socks and raise a few hundred dollars in an hour, they don't need to lie about one of their employees being hospitalized.

How would that even end? How would they ever get away with it? There wouldn't just be "uproar", people would go to court for fucking fraud! The company would probably be fucking ruined, and for a fraction of the money they already raised for Lazer Team! 100 grand is chump change for them, why would they risk ruining the company for that?! Hell, even if they DID somehow 'get away with it', they'd lose WAY more than a 100,000 dollars worth of fans over it. There is absolutely no scenario where even attempting such a ridiculous stunt could ever be worth it.

And they don't even need money! They just joined that "Full Screen" company, they've got more money than ever!! Like I said, they JUST raised 2 and a half motherfucking MILLION dollars for Lazer Team!

And you don't even have a good reason to be "suspicious". How does the lack of further information even support this insane theory? Surely the next phase of this, the heist of the century, would be to update fans with something like "Oh hey, Monty's set to make a full recovery, thanks guys!" or even "Oh no, his condition is getting worse, if ONLY WE HAD MORE MONEY HE MIGHT SURVIVE". A lack of information doesn't help them raise more money at all!

It's good that you "highly doubt it". I also tend to "doubt" ideas that can be utterly undone by the merest trace of rational thought.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
It became the business of the general public when they announced it publicly and asked the general public for money. If they wanted to keep it private then they should have dealt with it themselves and not asked for fans to contribute. You can't have your cake and eat it. Either you ask for donations and make it clear what's happening and how the donations are being used, or you you keep everything to yourself.
This mirrors my thoughts exactly.

The nature of his ailment should be revealed if they're asking for money. Typically "where there's smoke, there's fire" comes to mind and I can only anticipate the reason for his critical condition is self-inflicted and if those who donated found the reason they could be less likely to donate at all.

One particular example that springs to mind as a potential cause: recreational drug overdose.

I'm not saying it IS the reason for the medical emergency but things like "got hit by a car" or "appendix exploded" would be something one reveals when requesting money.

So I'm stuck thinking of things that would not be revealed.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
I have to disagree. They never promised anything in return for the donations. They gave a general description of the situation, which is understandably being kept mostly private: The money is going to Monty and his family, and that's all you get to know. If you're uncomfortable with giving them money under those terms, then don't donate. It's as simple as that.

What you DON'T get to do is give them money and then demand they change the terms to make you happy.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
I think the privacy thing is all dependent on the person. I mean I imagine if it was Burnie or Gus we'd probably have more information but Monty is one of the most private member of RT, like someone else mentioned this is the first time we've heard about his wife.

I'm just hoping he gets better soon and fully recovers.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Abomination said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Baffle said:
Kolby Jack said:
This mirrors my thoughts exactly.

The nature of his ailment should be revealed if they're asking for money. Typically "where there's smoke, there's fire" comes to mind and I can only anticipate the reason for his critical condition is self-inflicted and if those who donated found the reason they could be less likely to donate at all.

One particular example that springs to mind as a potential cause: recreational drug overdose.

I'm not saying it IS the reason for the medical emergency but things like "got hit by a car" or "appendix exploded" would be something one reveals when requesting money.

So I'm stuck thinking of things that would not be revealed.
Saying stuff like this only contributes to the spreading of completely baseless rumors. We have no idea what happened to him, and just because the family wants privacy, that is NOT a reason to assume shitty things about Monty with no real evidence.

And I'm going to keep repeating the same thing across this thread:

Monty's family has every right to ask for money without giving more information, as long as they are clear about their terms, which they have been.

They aren't promising anything in return for the donations. The terms are clear: Your money will go to Monty and his family, and that's all you get to know. If you don't like those terms, don't donate. It's as simple as that.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
I've had the pleasure of enjoying Monty's work for some time now, as a fan of him and the Rooster Teeth family I was deeply saddened by the news of his hospitalization, I hope he and his family has a full recovery.
I'll honor the man in the best way I know how, by watching a ton of anime and having enough fun for the both of us, well wishes to you and your family Monty.

-Me

DirectorK

Aug 22, 2014
Okay Robot, did you even read Kolby Jack's post up above? The hows and whys are not what we're concerned with. It's the whats. Is Monty okay? Is he going to pull through? Stuff like that. The cause means little right now. They can release that information whenever they want to. It's his condition that we're concerned about. Regardless of what you may think fans should know what exactly is going on after some time. It's Rooster Teeth's responsibility otherwise they wouldn't have made this public. If Monty suddenly walked out of the hospital in perfect condition without any outward signs of whatever it was he suffered, people are going to get suspicious because they just sent some of their money for something that was not as serious as they were led to believe. People are not stupid, buddy. Yes, we may not be as close as his family and friends are, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aware of what exactly is happening because we're devoted to him regardless of our positions.

You're acting as though I want this to be a sham so I can laugh my ass off at their stupidity. No, I don't. I've been a long time follower of Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum. Yes, it would be stupid if they'd used this as a way to make money but as you said, what would be the point given their widespread fanbase? This happened all of a sudden and they're asking for money while giving us very little details. Why wouldn't people get a little suspicious? It's. Their. Money. After All! You can't give just give money away for a cause you know little to nothing about, even for something as serious as this. Otherwise, you're just a blind follower giving away your hard earned money without ever knowing exactly why.

And before you start lecturing me about privacy let me tell you this. I just lost my oldest brother shortly after New Years and the worst part of it was that he'd just become a father and his daughter is not even a year old yet. His wife, my family, and his friends were very torn up about it. We respected his wife's wish for privacy yet she didn't let us in the dark about about how he died or the details of his funeral because she had no reason to. So don't be telling me about privacy when you don't know jack about the word.