RIP Monty Oum 1981-2015

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Oh God. I mean, I still remember the first time someone showed me Dead Fantasy and how amazed I was, and I've kept up ever since. If there is one bright side to this, at least he was able to do what he loved right to the very end.

RIP Monty.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Are you shitting me??!!!!

Great, now I feel both sad and angry at the recent news, sad at his passing (he was young and talented) and angry at how random it was and I guess this inveterately means RWBY is cancelled (are you happy now???!!!).

Goodbye Monty.

EDIT- Geez, he was born on the same year as my bro....

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
....God fucking damn it.

I just...this isn't fair, this isn't fucking fair.

...You'll be missed Monty.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
erttheking said:
....God fucking damn it.

I just...this isn't fair, this isn't fucking fair.

...You'll be missed Monty.
This... just fucking this. I don't even know what the fuck to say about this.

You'll be missed by many Monty, farewell.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Sucks that he died

Never really got into his work so I don't have any real reason to be sad but a loss is a loss and I hope his family, friends and fans all the best in grieving

Yasuraka ni nemure

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Robot Number V said:
Enjoy your sock.
Delicious sock.

Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory.

But it is strange how they wouldn't reveal an allergic reaction, what's the harm to the donation drive?

Here's hoping the money can be used for awareness/prevention of similar cases in the future.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Might not have ever watched your content, Monty, but you seemed like a swell fella from what little I knew of you.

See you on the other side.

dameonstarflame

Oct 4, 2009
Abomination said:
Here's hoping the money can be used for awareness/prevention of similar cases in the future.
I think a large amount of that money will probably going to funeral costs. I doubt he would have had life insurance and funerals are not cheap by a long shot.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
dameonstarflame said:
Abomination said:
I think a large amount of that money will probably going to funeral costs. I doubt he would have had life insurance and funerals are not cheap by a long shot.
That's gonna be one hell of a send off then.

In the 'States, if the medical procedures fail to save the life of the patient do they still have to pay?

Edit: Wait, the medical field PUT him into the situation in the first place. Why isn't the clinic he had the allergic reaction at footing the medical bills?!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
saiga123 said:
Monty passed away yesterday

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3302319

Roosterteeth said:
Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.
God damn it, I feel like I'm gonna cry.

dameonstarflame

Oct 4, 2009
Abomination said:
dameonstarflame said:
Abomination said:

In the 'States, if the medical procedures fail to save the life of the patient do they still have to pay?
I honestly have no idea since I'm Canadian, but I have a feeling the answer is still sadly yes.

Edit: Asked an American friend and can now confirm the answer is a sickening yes. They still have to pay because the hospital needs to recoup the costs of the procedure and care.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
Scarim Coral said:

Great, now I feel both sad and angry at the recent news, sad at his passing (he was young and talented) and angry at how random it was and I guess this inveterately means RWBY is cancelled (are you happy now???!!!).

Goodbye Monty.
RWBY may not be cancelled, Monty didn't write it, he did the animation and thought of the idea in the first place. Also there are other employees at RT who do some of the animation. We don't know anything right now, but I think there may be a chance that they keep going to honor his memory.

DirectorK

Aug 22, 2014
A real sad shame that Monty Oum has passed away. A medical accident is not a good thing because someone is going to have answer for it. God only know what Monty could have done for the entertainment industry given his talent.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
jab136 said:
Scarim Coral said:

Goodbye Monty.
RWBY may not be cancelled, Monty didn't write it, he did the animation and thought of the idea in the first place. Also there are other employees at RT who do some of the animation. We don't know anything right now, but I think there may be a chance that they keep going to honor his memory.
To be honest, at this point I'd be ok with anything that they do. Keep it going to honor his memory? I'm ok with that. Cancel it to honor his memory? I'm ok with that too. I just...Fuck...

...Roosterteeth said that he would want me to do something creative. Bring some happiness into people's lives. Make them better. I have a story where the RWBY team plays a 40k tabletop RPG. I'm gonna go work on that right now.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Abomination said:
dameonstarflame said:
Abomination said:

I think for something like a surgery, you have to sign a form stating that you and/or any surviving kin can't sue if you die as a result of the surgery. As for paying for it, someone probably still has to.

But this was due to a simple medical procedure that went horribly wrong, so it may have been something that insurance would have covered. Seeing as it was supposed to be a simple thing, it's unlike he would have had to sign a form saying that no one can sue, so I think this may be something that'll be perused.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
What a terrible way to die, completely in the hands of a body trusted to keep you alive and healthy. Such an unfortunate event.

I can only hope his friends and family cope well with this sudden loss.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Abomination said:
Robot Number V said:
Enjoy your sock.
Delicious sock.

Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory.

But it is strange how they wouldn't reveal an allergic reaction, what's the harm to the donation drive?

Definitely not any kind of victory, though looking back on my post, I see how it came off that way. I came off a little..."gloat-y", and I want to apologize for that.

And yeah, it is strange. I honestly have no idea what the logic is in keeping the specifics private until now, but I can't imagine being in their situation, so I'm not going to second-guess their decisions.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
That really sucks. Never did like RWBY but I can appreciate the work he put into it. Any problems that show had certainly weren't due to a lack of heart or anything, and his work on Red vs Blue is still amazing.

Sucks he died so young and sucks we won't get to see what he would've done in the future.