RIP PC gaming?

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
I'm curious to know whether people feel that PC gaming is on its way out?

With the increase and apparent ease of illegal downloads on the PC it is starting to seem like games developers are seeing the PC customer as a second class customer the majority of games, especially from EA feel like unpolished, unsupported ports from the console version.

Granted there are still some games that belong on the PC but the problem for me (and granted on the scale of world events it's a pretty small problem) is that when games like Bioshock 2 and Modern Warfare 2 appear do I get them on the PC or for the Xbox 360 obviously FPS games fit more comfortably on a PC and I know my PC has the capability to make both those games visually better; however, the support and knowledge it will just work and potential for yet more 360 exclusive content on the console is hard to argue against.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
EA has never have good Console to PC ports, and you seem to be forgetting, Consoles are susceptible to piracy too.

herr.Didi

Apr 17, 2009
Hmm maybe that console(forgot it's name; the one in witch you use the internet to connect to a super PC) could revitalize PC gaming, because yeah, PC's are loosing ground to the console, still I could never play an RTS or FPS on the console, it just feels odd.

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
Not forgetting that fact; indeed consoles are susceptible, but not anywhere near on the scale PC games are. Almost all the major arguments about game DRM and piracy last year revolved around PC games.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
People have been saying that since the 80s. It's not going anywhere.

ErythorbicAcid

Apr 17, 2009
Kif said:
I'm curious to know whether people feel that PC gaming is on its way out?
No, this comes up all the time, and the answer is a resounding no. If you wait five years and come back to read your post you will feel silly.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Imagine how much worse it would be if WoW went away? Or MMO's in general.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Undemanding MMOs and Casual Web gaming will thrive, but "cutting-edge" AAA games will start to only appear on consoles, not because of Piracy and DRM, but because the average PC gamer won't be able to afford to upgrade indefinitely. I give it about 2-3 years.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I'm going to say no... but the thing is I've got nothing to back it up...I just don't think its dead nor is it dying.

CheeseSandwichCake

May 23, 2009
Short answer... no...
Long answer... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
(Okay, I have to quote Yahtzee at least ONCE in my existence on this forum)

PC gaming wont die as long as companies like Blizzard or Valve, hell even Relic, still exist. Since Blizzard doesn't really do the whole console ports thing and Valve's console ports all suck. Relic just needs to keep making awesome RTSes.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Bleh, repeat thread.

Take a look around this site and you'll see that most people prefer PC gaming for the controls, and the modding ability.

Oh, and MMO.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Uncompetative said:
Undemanding MMOs and Casual Web gaming will thrive, but "cutting-edge" AAA games will start to only appear on consoles, not because of Piracy and DRM, but because the average PC gamer won't be able to afford to upgrade indefinitely. I give it about 2-3 years.
Guess how long people have been saying that. Guess. At least since PS1.

You mustn't say EA makes PC games. They are sellouts that make 20 expansions and are a joke of the gaming scene. They destroy any potential any game has.
Nimbus said:
People have been saying that since the 80s. It's not going anywhere.
Yep. Pretty much.

Ah, found the picture:

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Uncompetative said:
Guess how long people have been saying that. Guess. At least since PS1.

You mustn't say EA makes PC games. They are sellouts that make 20 expansions and are a joke of the gaming scene. They destroy any potential any game has.
Rest in Piece Westwood Studios and Bullfrog Productions.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Uncompetative said:
I draw your attention to the game pictured bottom right with the ? superimposed upon it. Surely, the rot has already set in...

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
PC-gaming die out? Not unless PC's stop being used at all and that will only happen when there come some kind of microchip which gets implanted into your brain on which you can do everything and more then you can do on a PC, or if there's a nuclear fallout (in which case I call dibs on the fatman).

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Seriously? Theres some nice upcoming titles
Starcraft II
Diablo III
Prototype
Dragon Age Origins
Monkey Island remake
(uhh Sims 3 I guess)

Seems to be doing ok.

CheeseSandwichCake

May 23, 2009
Rex Dark said:
PC-gaming die out? Not unless PC's stop being used at all and that will only happen when there come some kind of microchip which gets implanted into your brain on which you can do everything and more then you can do on a PC, or if there's a nuclear fallout (in which case I call dibs on the fatman).
That's fine. I fall dibs on the MIRV.