RIP Vvardenfell

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I'm not a big lore freak but I used to spend a lot of time around the Bethesda forums when I used to use a load of mods for Morrowind and basically in a hint of nostalgia(and I'm restarting Morrowind) I popped back only to come across a topic that mentioned my favourite fictional land, namely Vvardenfell had been...destroyed.

"Early in the Fourth Era, Vvardenfell was destroyed after the Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec causing Red Mountain to erupt. Most of the island was covered in ash, forcing the population to leave for the island of Solstheim."

For something I hadn't played for quite some time this hit me like a ton of bricks and the fact it's 'just a game' but still it's fucking Vvardenfell, man.

Has anyone read the book The Infernal City, which was a TES Novel, maybe you can share some more insight about what actually happened. I'm going to look into getting it ASAP as I've only just heard about it.

Equally let's talk about our favourite areas or NPC's that are now *dramatic pause, single tear streams* destroyed.

Edit: Also forgot to mention I believe the Morrowind mainland was invaded by the Argonians.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah I actually read about this two days ago. Why Vvardenfell? Of all the locations in Tamriel why pick the one place everyone loves the most? TES V will be a sad game indeed.

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I gotta be honest, I never really like Vvardenfell all that much. Most of it was covered in ash anyway... and don't even get me started on those fucking cliff racers that were EVERYWHERE. I hope the eruption killed everyone of those squawking little shits

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Well i would guess that with the destruction of the Heart of Lorkhan Vivec would become mortal again, and seeing as his godhood was what stopped the ministry above the city in the first place it would make sense that him loosing it would cause it to fall eventually. That or it was cliff racers, dirty little bastards.

No more mudcrab merchant. :(

And heres some music.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Tattaglia said:
Well, as long as M'aiq is alright...
I think its safe to assume that he was still in Cyrodiil (or not in Morrowind) at the time.

vivec710

Oct 25, 2009
This is the first I've heard of this, and I am very sad. I've out so many hours imto exploring Vvardenfell and now it's gone. This has got to be a some sadistic joke on Bethesda's part. The Elder Sceolls will never be the same.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Turbo_Destructor said:
I gotta be honest, I never really like Vvardenfell all that much. Most of it was covered in ash anyway... and don't even get me started on those fucking cliff racers that were EVERYWHERE. I hope the eruption killed everyone of those squawking little shits
Revelo said:
I just made myself sad reading this. Maybe Jiub can restore the land.

Morrowind was probably the first RPG I ever played. It left such an impression on me with it's scale and depth. It was truely an epic game.
Thanks to Revelo mentioning Jiub I remembered he became a St. and actually scared all the Cliff Racers' off. Although he won't be restoring the land as I recall he also fell to the daedra.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
Jackalb said:
I'm not a big lore freak but I used to spent a lot of time around the Bethesda forums when I used to use a load of mods for Morrowind and basically in a hint of nostalgia(and I'm restarting Morrowind) I popped back only to come across a topic that mentioned my favourite fictional land, namely Vvardenfell had been...destroyed.

"Early in the Fourth Era, Vvardenfell was destroyed after the Ministry of Truth crashed into Vivec causing Red Mountain to erupt. Most of the island was covered in ash, forcing the population to leave for the island of Solstheim."

For something I hadn't played for quite some time this hit me like a ton of bricks and the fact it's 'just a game' but still it's fucking Vvardenfell, man.

Has anyone read the book The Infernal City, which was a TES Novel, maybe you can share some more insight about what actually happened. I'm going to look into getting it ASAP as I've only just heard about it.

Equally let's talk about our favourite areas or NPC's that are now *dramatic pause, single tear streams* destroyed.

Edit: Also forgot to mention I believe the Morrowind mainland was invaded by the Argonians.
i'm actually in the process of slowly getting through the book. i got it 3 days before it was to be released ((thank you technicalities)) and am working my way through it slowly, because i'm also writing a book, writing music, working, finding a second job, trying to find money for school, and reading 3 other books. all i know is that like...on the second page they say "back before Vvardenfell was destroyed."

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Fappy said:
Yeah I actually read about this two days ago. Why Vvardenfell? Of all the locations in Tamriel why pick the one place everyone loves the most? TES V will be a sad game indeed.
If only the expansion hadn't been made where the player character specifically sets into effect the events that they knowingly would cause the meteor to crash into Vivec.

Turbo_Destructor said:
Here here. Vvardenfell and its cliff racers can go burn. Oh, wait. Sweet!

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
NoriYuki Sato said:
all i know is that like...on the second page they say "back before Vvardenfell was destroyed."
They really took a leaf from Infinity Ward's book and thought "Well they can kill a character for shock value maybe we can do it for an island" It's madness yet genius considering the huge fanbase it still has.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
So...I...uh...god, I can't even think straight. Dammit, this should NOT be affecting me like this.

So I guess we aren't going back in the next one, huh?

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
I read that book and I seem to remember vvardenfell being described as a big old pile of ashes and dead people. I'll find the actual description later.

EDIT: Found it and it's grim.
LOOK DOWN FOR THE DESCRIPTION FROM THE BOOK.

Jun 11, 2008
You know it might not be so bad. Like maybe in TEC 5 you have to save Morrowind and restore it to what it was as well as Cyrodiil and all other areas that have been damaged by Oblivion gates and cataclysmic events.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
eggy32 said:
I read that book and I seem to remember vvardenfell being described as a big old pile of ashes and dead people. I'll find the actual description later.
That's pretty much what Vvardenfell was in the game, too.

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Turbo_Destructor said:
Saint Jiub killed the cliffracers, so all we lost was mudcrap merchant, creeper, and the lovely mushroom kingdom.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
JEBWrench said:
eggy32 said:
Especially the dead bodies part after my Nerevarine went a bit loopy.

bobby1361 said:
Turbo_Destructor said:
Saint Jiub killed the cliffracers, so all we lost was mudcrap merchant, creeper, and the lovely mushroom kingdom.
Creeper was probably Barbas, the hound of Clavicus Vile who made an appearance in Oblivion so he is fine.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Jackalb said:
JEBWrench said:
eggy32 said:
Especially the dead bodies part after my Nerevarine went a bit loopy.
That made me laugh, on account of that being exactly what Vvardenfell looked like after I was done too.