Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Despite the heavy handed anti-Brit approach, I'm still excited for this game.

Although when it comes to the Assassins Creed series all my objectivity seems to go out of the window.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm Australian so that's neutral I guess

The line where the kid talks of talks of not learning the history of a country he will never see just reeks of idiocy. Could be worse, they could be burning books and British flags.

Perhaps not depicting the brits as being vile scum rather than just another bunch of poor sods on the other side of the war would have had people calling them unpatriotic. This is a big deal for some reason other than just being a cause for vilification and even violence. I wonder if they include things criticizing the course of Americas development as a country such as 'we killed almost all of this lands native people and for that we are all bastards' like they do in Australia (a large history of racism that also included slavery). I believe they do but do you think there are bits they cover up?

I like the game play of these games and will probably be able to play it without drawing parallels to reality (this sentence seems better in my head) and I will probably still enjoy it.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
I'd love to see them make a game about the war of 1812, they'd probably omit the British troops stationed in Canada torching the white house.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Baresark said:
Haha, the comments in this thread are among the funniest I have seen. They released that trailer yesterday because it was Independence Day in America. People on the internet can be really really thick headed when it comes to Anti-American sentiment.

I don't know why people are having such a hard time dealing with this trailer. It's a game trailer. Last time I checked, this doesn't mimic real life in any form, nor does it advertise itself as a history lesson.
The Ass Creed games have always been pretty even handed in how they portray their characters and factions; those loosely based on real world counterparts anyway. This is why all the publicity for this game comes over badly, because even handed it is not.

I'm not overly bothered, I don't buy new Ubisoft games for my PC, but when I do eventually pick up my used console copy I'd like it to have a decent story; not be some American Patriot's fantasy wank off material.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Oh dear God a trailer released on American Independence Day that's clearly advertising a game made in Canada by a French company to Americans is pandering to a romantic American view of the American Revolution. How unexpected! Remember when they advertised all those Christians and Chosen People of God you were going to kill in the first Assassin's Creed? No? Huh, me neither. Why didn't I hear all the Russians crying about Cally of Duty: Let's Kill Some Ruskies, or whatever. Get some thicker skin, Brits. Yes we know it sucks that having a tiny land mass means you can only be a ghost of the mighty empire you used to be, but I think it's time to get over it.

captcha: move along

Codenet

Jan 4, 2009
Ever since i first heard about the setting i knew they would end up doing the whole "AMERICA, FUCK YEA!" approach.

Doesn't really both me, as the gameplay is the best part of the series. But i'm still not sure if ubisoft were serious or massively taking the piss with this trailer, either way i find it funny.

I would really have preferred a different setting altogether though, there are so many more interesting stories, eras and places they could have picked from, its not like they were limited.

IntangibleMango

Jul 5, 2009
I don't really have a problem with who they're killing/not killing, the way I see it, everyone is fair game for a title like this, and it just happens to be our turn.

When it comes down to it, I don't think that many other British people making comments about this are complaining about British people being killed en masse, it's more in the way that it's presented.

It's hard to explain, and obviously Ubisoft have the right to market the game however they want, but it seems to be mostly presented in a less than respectful way, and focuses more on the fact that they're killing the British than showing off the story of the game, we know about the conflict already, knowing something about the game would be nice.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
irmasterlol said:
Oh dear God a trailer released on American Independence Day that's clearly advertising a game made in Canada by a French company to Americans is pandering to a romantic American view of the American Revolution. How unexpected! Remember when they advertised all those Christians and Chosen People of God you were going to kill in the first Assassin's Creed? No? Huh, me neither. Why didn't I hear all the Russians crying about Cally of Duty: Let's Kill Some Ruskies, or whatever. Get some thicker skin, Brits. Yes we know it sucks that having a tiny land mass means you can only be a ghost of the mighty empire you used to be, but I think it's time to get over it.

Having a small landmass did nothing to stop the English from creating a massive empire so why would it have caused the collapse of that very same empire?

I'm also a little confused by Christians and chosen people of god line. Aren't they the same thing in much the same way that Muslims are also the chosen people of god etc.

I'm not sure about you but the only vid Ive seen of a Russian man and call of duty combined was that very same Russian man filling his copy of the game with bullet holes.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
I.Muir said:
irmasterlol said:

Having a small landmass did nothing to stop the English from creating a massive empire so why would it have caused the collapse of that very same empire?

I'm also a little confused by Christians and chosen people of god line. Aren't they the same thing in much the same way that Muslims are also the chosen people of god etc.

I'm not sure about you but the only vid Ive seen of a Russian man and call of duty combined was that very same Russian man filling his copy of the game with bullet holes.
After WWII there was a massive decolonization movement that granted independence to most of Britain's empire, leaving what's left almost laughably small by comparison. Being a small island doesn't matter when you're free to run about conquering whatever you think would look good on your map, but since that's no longer the case, then no more mighty empire for you.

Actually one of the big points of contrast between Christianity and Judaism or Islam is that the Christians don't believe people are chosen by god but rather that it is a personal choice. Ubisoft made a point of calling it 'The Holy Land' and not Israel or Palestine. Just like they made a point of having the people call themselves 'The chosen people of god' and not Muslims.

I guess there are just fewer Russians to complain at my usual Internet haunts. Also I didn't follow any of the news fo the CoD franchise, so that could explain why I never noticed.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
So on the US Independence Day a trailer for a game set during the revolutionary war has an anti-Brit slant? HOW DARE THEY! /sarcasm off.

This isn't a game set in the modern era. This s a game set during a war pre-information age and far far removed from the political correctness that is rampant today. Grow a thicker skin and GET OVER IT! So a child born in the colonies in the 1700s doesn't want to learn the history of the country that's oppressing him and his family? Sounds reasonable to me. If someone was stepping on you and ruining your life, would you give 2 shits about why they were doing it? No. Would you want to sympathize with the armies saccing your towns? And if you do, please explain, I'd love to read it.

It stands to reason that British history books might read a little differently than the American ones but do you really want to start this shitstorm over a game trailer? If you hate the game so much, then don't buy it. I for one will be. Not because I'm of the "AMERICA HELL YEA!" persuasion. I'm not a white southern card-carrying NRA redneck. No. I'm buying it for the ship battles!

Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys maybe you should calm down because I'm pretty they are not going to show some twists in trailers as to why you would kill some americains. Just chill and wait for the game to be out before passing final judgment on the quantity of people you kill.

Badassassin

Jan 16, 2010
Karma168 said:
Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.
Yes, because if this ad campaign has shown anything, it's that British people can't possibly be phased by something so petty as this. Oh wait.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The kid's line is retarded. You honestly couldn't come up with anything better?

As for the rest of the stuff, it's a July 4th advertisement, what were you expecting. Maybe now that independence day has passed we'll see more of Connor killing colonists.

Nov 5, 2007
DalekJaas said:
When I refuse to learn the history of a country I will never see?

What a ridiculous, American attitude. I'm rooting for the British.
Yes, let's judge what would have been a prevalent sentiment back in the days through the lens of 2012 globalized world. Urgh...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Karma168 said:
Nice to see they're going for a nice even balance between the two sides...

Seriously though wtf happened to the 'everyone is a shade of grey' that previous AC games used? All I got from that was "The British are c***s, lets kill them"

I knew ubisoft would buckle and make America the good guys, cant risk offending weak sensibilities in their biggest market, never mind creative integrity.
The devs said something about how the marketing team won't show bad Americans being killed in the adverts. They worry that showing the other side will only upset the zealous types, and lead to boycotts and media criticisms and what have you.

Speaking of which, did you see the giant smoke turkey in the trailer? It's on the battlefield, in the background. With reinforcements like that, is it any wonder the Americans won?

Oh, I only just noticed the trailer for the DLC. Seems you get to play as an ex-slave. About time to.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
algalon said:
So on the US Independence Day a trailer for a game set during the revolutionary war has an anti-Brit slant? HOW DARE THEY! /sarcasm off.

This isn't a game set in the modern era. This s a game set during a war pre-information age and far far removed from the political correctness that is rampant today. Grow a thicker skin and GET OVER IT! So a child born in the colonies in the 1700s doesn't want to learn the history of the country that's oppressing him and his family? Sounds reasonable to me. If someone was stepping on you and ruining your life, would you give 2 shits about why they were doing it? No. Would you want to sympathize with the armies saccing your towns? And if you do, please explain, I'd love to read it.

It stands to reason that British history books might read a little differently than the American ones but do you really want to start this shitstorm over a game trailer? If you hate the game so much, then don't buy it. I for one will be. Not because I'm of the "AMERICA HELL YEA!" persuasion. I'm not a white southern card-carrying NRA redneck. No. I'm buying it for the ship battles!
Oppressing him and his family? Ruining his life, sacking his villages? Are we talking about the Brits or the freakin' Mongol horde?! NONE of those things happened pre-war, and I'd like to see what books taught you that. The colonials weren't being molested and trampled over by foreign jack-booted thugs; if anything, they were neglected. It was a simple case of BRITISH citizens being away from the crown long enough to become independent and seceding from their absent mother-country to avoid paying taxes (which weren't collected anyway, and were lower than those in Britain) and sharing war costs (for wars that they started). The kid has no other country to learn about but his own, which he sees every day because it's the same goddamn country.

My main problem with this trailer is that it flies in the face of everything that Ubisoft has been telling us about their even-handed approach. It obviously has nothing to do with the game's plot (Assassins vs. Templars), was shot with not a speck of self-awareness or irony, and displays sensibilities that are rightfully considered shameful and narrow-minded today by almost half the world. This isn't national pride, this is the explicit demonization of another nation (so far as to literally use "us and them").

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Come on lads, get a grip.

If your really offended with having to kill British soldiers in this game then I suppose you could always just walk into a Continental controlled town and kill a few civilians or soldiers. That way I guess you can feel a bit better about the whole process.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Seneschal said:
algalon said:

pre-war
Did I say pre-war? No I don't think I did. Context. Reading comprehension. These things matter. Don't base an argument on an assumption, on a premise you think exists but does not.