Risen 2 is almost out. Does no one care?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
So a pretty awesome game is about to come out that is fated to literally go down under the radar and will most likely sell like crap. It's a game that is a spiritual successor to the cult classic gothic series thats improved upon in every way. In the original Risen the biggest hurdle for your exploration was the monsters, which actually gave a sense of danger that is now unseen in todays button mash rpg world (amalur comes to mind.)

It's a pirate themed rpg with a save the world storyline with actual voodoo being heavily influenced in the game, and its going to completely be drowned out with juggernaut witcher 2 enhanced edition, Diablo 3 and Xenoblade all coming out within 2 weeks of release. This will pretty much be the rpg version of Rayman origins, an incredible game that NO ONE WILL PLAY! and that makes me sad.

Anyways, heres a trailer / gameplay video if anyone can be bothered. (and if you don't I don't blame you, as d3 xeno and witcher 2 will likely take your time anyways ... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOR7cW4262E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2058tC_thVc

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's an RPG with pirates. PIRATES!

(I wonder how many people are gonna pirate it)

Anyway. It looks fun, it's on PC as well and it has nothing to do with EA. I will give it a shot.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
It does look good, as you say it's a shame there doesn't seem to be any news filtering through.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sooooo it's Pirates of the Caribbean the RPG? Eh, I guess my major problem is that pirates have just never really been my cup of tea. I know they're a massive meme just purely by their own existence, but really I think their popularity is beginning to wane. I feel sorry for games that slide on by due to other MASSIVE titles being released just before or just after, but even if this were a title with a release timeframe all to itself, I doubt I'd be interested in playing it.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
I dunno... I was never able to get into the first Risen. I tried a handful of times but it never hooked me. I haven't really been following the new one... if it ends up being awesome I may give it a shot. I do like RPGs and pirates.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's an RPG with pirates. PIRATES!

(I wonder how many people are gonna pirate it)

Anyway. It looks fun, it's on PC as well and it has nothing to do with EA. I will give it a shot.
Yes. Pirates. ArrrPG.
Of course I am getting it. Support piracy (in games)!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
It looks interesting, but an RPG where you can only play a guy is a complete dealbreaker for me. I just have no interest.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I am keeping an eye out for it. I hope it does well. They should really advertise it well, the first one kept showing up on the main page of steam but never felt any compulsion to investigate.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I never got very far in the first Risen for a few reasons, but at the first least I found the game very interesting, and I definitely have an interest in Risen 2.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Definitely on my radar. As people in this thread mentioned, it's an RPG about pirates. How does that not sound awesome?

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I've yet to play the first one, but I will at some point. Can't remember if it's already been bought on Steam or not; either way unless the first is a failure I'll be sure to purchase down the line. Doesn't Two Worlds II also have some pirate themed goodness going on?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
GoaThief said:
I've yet to play the first one, but I will at some point. Can't remember if it's already been bought on Steam or not; either way unless the first is a failure I'll be sure to purchase down the line. Doesn't Two Worlds II also have some pirate themed goodness going on?
Two worlds II's pirates were not even in the main game, instead were in a tad overpriced bit of dlc that went for about 30$ at release (but it was 12 hours) and are simply tacked on there. If you never paid for the dlc you would not even know they were there. Two worlds 2 had its moments but was still unpolished in many area's and the pirate theme is simply tacked on, but risen 2 is from a publisher with a very strong hardcore rpg following.

I'm not trying to trash two worlds 2 I played it and got my moneys worth, but I still believe it will not be nearly as good as Risen 2.

I understand someone also not wanting to play the game because you can't play it from a female perspective, but the characters strongest ally is in fact a female pirate that is the daughter of a notorious pirate lord from the first game that infact was the inspiration for the pirate theme in risen 2 and there will be a very powerful voodoo lady ally where when I think back the only character ever of that type was a satire in monkey island. There is a strong female presence in the game.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Chaosritter said:
Aris Khandr said:
It looks interesting, but an RPG where you can only play a guy is a complete dealbreaker for me. I just have no interest.
Your sexist attitude disgusts me.
Ask me if I care. There is no excuse for an RPG to not have a certain level of character customization anymore, and gender selection is the very basest form of that. I'm not a boy, and have no particular desire to play one in a game.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
If its like the first one then Risen 2 can go bugger itself to death. I personally found the first one tedious as all fuck, with bad dialogue, poor combat and surprisingly uninteresting visuals. In short, i found nothing to commend it. SO unless Risen 2 has a sudden spike in quality, I will not care about it's existence.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Chaosritter said:
Fun aside, Risen 2 is a classic RPG that continues an existing story, spontaneous gender swaps would be kinda irritating.
Which is the reason that the copy of Risen 1 I got for free during the Steam Holiday Event is still sitting in my inventory, unused.

Besides, that's like when a guy says he wouldn't play Beyond Good & Evil or Silent Hill 3 because he can't play a hulk.
I don't recall either of those being RPGs. I'm no saying every game has to have that option. But every RPG should. If you want to tell a story about one specific guy, then drop the RPG pretense and just make an adventure game.