Risen 2 is almost out. Does no one care?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
It's an RPG with pirates. PIRATES!
(I wonder how many people are gonna pirate it)
Pirates pirating a game about Pirates?

Chaosritter said:
Besides, that's like when a guy says he wouldn't play Beyond Good & Evil or Silent Hill 3 because he can't play a hulk.
nether of which are RPGs :p, just sayin

OT: nope, don't care, hadn't heard of it till now, plus it being about pirates equates to about a -10 on my interest meter just on concept, sides, i have D3 in pre-order :p

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
Definitely will keep an eye on this.

Pirate + RPG = my cup of tea. If it gets good reviews then I will pick it up for sure.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Oh wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

And it's going to be on Steam too!!!

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Zeckt said:
I'm not trying to trash two worlds 2 I played it and got my moneys worth, but I still believe it will not be nearly as good as Risen 2.
That as maybe, but it wasn't my point either - just that Risen 2 has a lot of competition at the moment as per the theme of the OP.

As for your other point about not being able to play a female, it's a load of nonsense propagated by sexist bigots. Do you see anyone boycotting and ranting about how you're forced to play as a little girl in Racettear or Link in Zelda games?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Interesting to say the least. Iffy though, not sure if it's worth a purchase on my "3 to 4 games" a year budget though.

And, by any chance is it an openworld er uh... sea, game?

Scratch that, just saw the monkey. I'm gonna go buy this game five times.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
You better believe it! The first Risen was a damn fine game, and a good spiritual successor to the original Gothic trilogy. There were numerous times in the game that made me think I was playing a game combining Gothic II's quality with the beauty of Gothic 3. A pretty good combination if you ask me.

Taking the series direction into a pirate theme is a wise idea. It allows for some creativity and generally unexplored territory in modern western RPGs. I'm also excited to see some actual lore about the Risen universe this time, though I'm locked into my belief that it takes place in a future period of Gothic's original universe. You know, at the end of Gothic 3 (horrible expansion and Arcania aside), nameless and Xardas enter the portal and banish the gods? At the start of Risen, it mentions the humans banishing gods awhile ago? Things kind of make sense that way.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Chaosritter said:
Fun aside, Risen 2 is a classic RPG that continues an existing story, spontaneous gender swaps would be kinda irritating. Especially since the world has been heavily influenced by medieval Europe (in contrast to the Tolkien-like fantasy worlds), it just wouldn't work with a female PC. Women in this world are usually found in the kitchen (I'm not kidding), aside from a female hunter apprentice and a pirate daughter in the first Risen. I guess a boozing, scuffling and boar disembowelling chick would kinda ruin the atmosphere.
Although historically, there were plenty of women who became famous for piracy. Because, you know, pirates. Gender norms are more what you would call "guidelines" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kgS_AwuH0] than actual rules.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Risen was great. It will be hard to not care about Risen 2 unless it ends up being as much of an abortion as Dragon Age 2 was as a sequel.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I was aware of it from ages ago, and although it does seem like a big improvement on the 1st, since in really needed improving I'm still gonna wait for all the reviews after people finish it.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I'm waiting to see if the special edition will be on PCs or not.
So far it's looking maddeningly console-specific. I may be forced to buy it on Steam.

I loved your last game, Piranha Bytes, and I'd love to support ya... but I can't exactly do that if you "don't serve my kind here."

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I care.

And it will sell enough. Its by the guys that did Gothic. Shit tons of people will buy it in Germany, Poland and Russia.

Adam Jensen said:
It looks fun, it's on PC as well and it has nothing to do with EA.
Funnily enough thats my criteria for picking out games to buy.
I think we're missing 2 more pieces of criteria.

Nothing to do with Ubisoft and Activision.

Also I haven't played Risen.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
No. If it's anything at all like the first game (which can charitably be called the Hyperdimension Neptunia of WRPGs), I'm going to stay about as far away as I possibly can. I'm not attacking anyone for liking these games, but they aren't for me.
GoaThief said:
Zeckt said:
I'm not trying to trash two worlds 2 I played it and got my moneys worth, but I still believe it will not be nearly as good as Risen 2.
That as maybe, but it wasn't my point either - just that Risen 2 has a lot of competition at the moment as per the theme of the OP.

As for your other point about not being able to play a female, it's a load of nonsense propagated by sexist bigots. Do you see anyone boycotting and ranting about how you're forced to play as a little girl in Racettear or Link in Zelda games?
That comparison doesn't make any sense. We're talking about an open-world RPG where the protagonist is completely undefined. Recettear and Zelda aren't in the same genre at all. Better comparisons would be games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim, or Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon's Dogma or even Dark Souls. Oh hey they all have something in common.

Is there any reason to exclude a female protagonist from a game like this? The protagonist isn't a character. There's no argument to keep it male or female by default other than the price of a second voice actor and the technology for a character creator. What would it change if you changed the gender of the protagonist? Why not have that option? People expect that from this style of RPG these days, even though this franchise (and Gothic) has lacked character customization in the past.

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
I want to finish the Gothic series before I move on to Risen, which is taking a very long time because... well... I'm not playing Gothic 2 at the moment, but I'm definitely glad that they're making another one. The more Gothic-like games, the better, so I'll be buying this eventually.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
With Me3 just finished and Witcher 2 enhanced/Diablo 3 on the horizon...I just dont have any excitement left :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's certainly nice to see someone other then the con boys making RPGs, but I checked out a few videos and they already have DLC...

So I'll be waiting to see when the full full game releases.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah I am. I rather enjoyed the first. There was something about being locked and stranded on that island that made it feel more fleshed out and real than large sprawling open worlds that just feel empty.

EDIT:
Also, I dont really think this is a "pirate" rpg as much as it is an RPG with pirates in it (cause yanno, its set on a secluded island out away from major tracts of land.) So of course the island would be a potential haven for pirates traveling the seas.

Honestly I hope they have vastly improved the char modles from the last one. Seriously Some were so bad they reminded me of pre luclin PC models from Everquest circa 1999

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Might pick it up once the price drops. Not really intrested in a pirate RPG, and the combat seemed kind of dull.

... They sure wave their arms a lot during the conversations.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm actually thinking of getting this one and trying to finish it before Diablo 3 comes knocking at my door.

I've enjoyed both the Gothic series and the first Risen so I'm definitely interested into seeing this new take on the sequel.