Robama Wants You to Buy American

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Actually, I do have some rather appallingly bad manga I do want to get rid of...and not have to put anyone else through reading it. So...yeah. I might partake.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
I'll live up to British stereotypes and say this is form of behaviour strikes me as being rather unsporting. Yes there will be competition between manga and comic books but you don't need to bad-mouth the opposition. And besides, super hero comics and manga do have a lot in common as they share virtually the same consumer base. This is why polarising the nerd market i would argue is actually bad for the comic book industry in the long-run, as it would discourage manga consumers from buying comics. If comics presented themselves as complimentary to manga rather than opposed, you'll have a lot more manga fans trying out comics.

I dont know...aside from batman I have very little interest in supheros, hence why I was under the impression that it was "just all superheros"

but after getting into comics , and becomimg more interesedt thats not "entirly" the case there is is other stuff ...like right now Im reading a series about a journalist in a crazy cyperpunk world

I wont speak too soon...but I think there might be more variety than than that..just like not all games are COD

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
What is that Red Button in Robama's private area?

Is this going to start blink 'when somthing problematic comes up' ?

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, this reminds me of the Asian Internment Camps [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment] NOTHING AT ALL!

Cultural Imperialism - now for kids!

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
Aren't only two of the five on the poster are American, anyway?

But, yeah, I can't work up too much outrage here.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't comic books cost substantially less than manga and have fewer pages? I might have tried it if I could be promised equal value, but as it stands the loli tentacle hentai just seems like a better deal, both on an individual book basis as well as a longterm investment because the manga will likely end, while the comic will just keep going.

How stupid do you think I am DC?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I definitely think that Americans should try to buy more American made products, but in this case... but I definitely dont think Obama has Americas best interests at heart, so it makes this ad terribly ridiculous.

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
Extremely sill but i still don't see DC gaining any new friends by this. It is exactly as Nikolai77 has said there are just so many more types compared to American comic books. But also I think that people just like the Anime/Manga art style more.

I don't want to start a fruitless fan boy argument between which Art is better since it is relative to people's way of thinking and/or definition of art but no one can deny that there are more people on the internet (and in my college drawing class) that want to draw in a Anime/Manga style compared to people who want to draw in the American comic art style. Why is that? Most likely because it is very stylized compared to the American style, they created key parts (eyess and hair) that people recognize as the style. As Far as American comics go the only experience I have in them is getting my SPAWN books but browsing the comic shop I play cards at there is just nothing noticeable at the comic book shop that made them pop out to me. It was no different then browsing a book store for me.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Vault101 said:
Nickolai77 said:
I'll live up to British stereotypes and say this is form of behaviour strikes me as being rather unsporting. Yes there will be competition between manga and comic books but you don't need to bad-mouth the opposition. And besides, super hero comics and manga do have a lot in common as they share virtually the same consumer base. This is why polarising the nerd market i would argue is actually bad for the comic book industry in the long-run, as it would discourage manga consumers from buying comics. If comics presented themselves as complimentary to manga rather than opposed, you'll have a lot more manga fans trying out comics.

I dont know...aside from batman I have very little interest in supheros, hence why I was under the impression that it was "just all superheros"

but after getting into comics , and becomimg more interesedt thats not "entirly" the case there is is other stuff ...like right now Im reading a series about a journalist in a crazy cyperpunk world

I wont speak too soon...but I think there might be more variety than than that..just like not all games are COD
I'm fairly sure there is more variety- visual novels (The Western kind) may be published by DC for instance, i should have made that clear. Still, looking at that poster DC seem to still sell themselves purely around super-hero's- i don't think this is a wise strategy, speaking as a non-comic book fan.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
A Comic Shop is my old haunting grounds and I know the guys there pretty well. Trust me, this is entirely meant to be silly and stupid. It's kind of their thing. So settle down, everyone, this is nothing to get upset over.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Grey Carter said:
What does that giant red button on Robama's crotch do?
It's the awesome button.
And that's funny. IF you don't think so, you are silly.

Fuckin' awesome.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Big Brother wants you to stop reading foreign propaganda and read American Truth[sup]TM[/sup] instead.

Your President (*Cue patriotic music*) has put his heart and soul for your Freedom[sup]TM[/sup] so you can enjoy living. Make him proud by reading only the highest quality American partiotism forcing pamphlets comicbooks. Remember, only YOU can help America rid the world of greedy corperations and capitalism, by only buying true American products, so that our companies can spread world wide and hopefully someday spread Americas True Word[sup]TM[/sup] to all the lesser other nations out there. Robama... a True American Hero[sup]TM[/sup]

This was a public broadcast announcement, brought to you today by the Misistry of Xenophobia Foreign Affairs American Heritage[sup]TM[/sup] and the letter M

(By the way, this was a joint peice of satire written by myself (British) and my American Colleagues.)

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
That ad is doubly stupid. There is liability in using someone's likeness in a non-satirical fashion (in other words, to sell something, something like comics). I've never gone for the "you just don't get it" argument. Is it really that hard to think that a comic store made an ad that was poorly thought out? Is it so hard to imagine that once such a poorly thought out ad was made, pride can cause someone to continue along this poorly thought out path? Of course, asking everyone involved to take a step back, breathe for a moment and reassess the situation would be just way too hard.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Nickolai77 said:
I'll live up to British stereotypes...
Well said, old boy! Jolly good shot and all that... pip pip! Any way, jokes aside! I agree with you here! I love the idea of superheroes, and the movies were awesome! Recently I have been looking at trying to get some comics, but alas have no idea where to start...

Which is why I only get novels and compendiums. Here in the UK it is difficult (Especially if you don't live near a city) to get comics. We especially dont have comic book stores with the breadth of selection as the US do! (I speak for all the cities I have lived in/near. Swindon, Bath, and Lincoln. And I have never seen one in any of the towns I have lived in all over the country!)

There are some comics though that arn't superhero linked! I have the Walking Dead compendium and am reading that, and thats not super hero stuff at all!

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I think the sign was just meant to be humorous. I have some manga that I got from Goodwill for $1 (they were marked as children's books), so I would certainly be willing to trade one in.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
DeanoTheGod said:
Nickolai77 said:
I'll live up to British stereotypes...
Well said, old boy! Jolly good shot and all that... pip pip! Any way, jokes aside! I agree with you here! I love the idea of superheroes, and the movies were awesome! Recently I have been looking at trying to get some comics, but alas have no idea where to start...

Which is why I only get novels and compendiums. Here in the UK it is difficult (Especially if you don't live near a city) to get comics. We especially dont have comic book stores with the breadth of selection as the US do! (I speak for all the cities I have lived in/near. Swindon, Bath, and Lincoln. And I have never seen one in any of the towns I have lived in all over the country!)

There are some comics though that arn't superhero linked! I have the Walking Dead compendium and am reading that, and thats not super hero stuff at all!
Too my knowledge, Forbidden Planet sell comic books, and usually have a store in every major city. I don't know if they are the comic books you are looking for though.