Roberto Orci No Longer Directing Star Trek 3

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Roberto Orci No Longer Directing Star Trek 3

Roberto Orci will only produce Star Trek 3 moving forward, leaving the director's chair open for JJ Abrams' rebooted franchise.

It was only last May that Roberto Orci <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134484-Roberto-Orci-Will-Direct-Star-Trek-III>was given the director's chair for Star Trek 3, since JJ Abrams found himself occupied with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138813-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-The-Force-Awakens-Official-Trailer>other things. But now, mere months later, Orci is stepping down from the position, letting someone else take the helm for a 2016 release.

Orci previously wrote the first two films of the series, but this would have been his directorial debut. That said, he won't be leaving the franchise behind entirely: Orci is staying on board as producer. This is the latest in a string of departures for the controversial writer, who backed away <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136102-Robert-Orci-No-Longer-Scripting-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-3>from Sony's Spider-Man franchise in July and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137557-roberto-orci-no-longer-producing-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-reboot>the Power Rangers reboot last September.

The big question now is who will take the lead on Star Trek 3. Currently rumored to be at the top of the short list is Edgar Wright, who previously directed Shaun of the Dead and The World's End, and was lined up for Marvel's Ant-Man <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134763-Edgar-Wright-No-Longer-Directing-Marvels-Ant-Man>until last May.

Source: Deadline

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
I'd take Edgar Wright over Orci any day. This makes me quite a bit more optimistic for the future of this film, actually.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
Doopliss64 said:
I'd take Edgar Wright over Orci any day. This makes me quite a bit more optimistic for the future of this film, actually.
I feel the same way.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Doopliss64 said:
As far as I know, Orci's still the screenwriter, so don't celebrate just yet.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Best news I've heard for this rebooted franchise in quite a while. Just a pity he's still writing the script. Now if only he and his former writing partners would announce they're retiring altogether, that would be truly fantastic.

Seriously, has Orci or Alex Kurtzman ever actually written a good script? All of the movies they've worked on have been incoherently written garbage. JJ Abrams at least is a competent director, if at times he can be more than a little obnoxious (yes, the lens flares and "mystery box" bullsh*t). Orci and Kurtzman just seem to fail upwards constantly.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Oh thank heavens, say it's so, please tell me mien eyes don't deceive me.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
STENDEC1 said:
Best news I've heard for this rebooted franchise in quite a while. Just a pity he's still writing the script. Now if only he and his former writing partners would announce they're retiring altogether, that would be truly fantastic.

Seriously, has Orci or Alex Kurtzman ever actually written a good script? All of the movies they've worked on have been incoherently written garbage. JJ Abrams at least is a competent director, if at times he can be more than a little obnoxious (yes, the lens flares and "mystery box" bullsh*t). Orci and Kurtzman just seem to fail upwards constantly.
I think that script might be going into the same garbage can Orci got tossed in. Matter of fact, the script might be the reason he got his walking papers. Got the news from Badass Digest.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/05/star-trek-3-may-be-saved-as-orci-exits/

Warms my heart to know that Hollywood, while a slow learner, has finally figured out that Roberto Orci just plain sucks balls at what he does. Now if they would only give Alex Kurtzman the boot to the ass and shown the exit.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Mr. Q said:
STENDEC1 said:

I think that script might be going into the same garbage can Orci got tossed in. Matter of fact, the script might be the reason he got his walking papers. Got the news from Badass Digest.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/12/05/star-trek-3-may-be-saved-as-orci-exits/

Warms my heart to know that Hollywood, while a slow learner, has finally figured out that Roberto Orci just plain sucks balls at what he does. Now if they would only give Alex Kurtzman the boot to the ass and shown the exit.
Edgar Wright could be awesome...if the script really has been turfed. And if he can resist any knowing-winkery stuff with Simon Pegg. And if the new scriptwriter understands why the previous two movies were a shit sandwich followed by an entire picnic of shit.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I'm taking over. Don't worry guys, I know exactly what the audience wants and I aim to deliver. There will be plenty of lense flare and some serious bro-mance between Kirk and Spock which may even lead into some full on homosexual love. It's going to be fantastic and exactly what everyone wants. I'm even casting Zach Galifianakis to play Jean Luc Picard.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Don't know who that is, or who the others people are mentioning in the replies.

All I know is I'm internally mixed about this series.

I love Star Trek. I like the new movies and the cast overall. However I can't buy the silly way this alternate timeline got started in the first place.

Nero's stupid little ship was grossly over exaggerated and there is no way it could have pulled off the things it did. It wasn't from THAT far in the future to make a MINING SHIP whoop ass like a Borg Cube.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
BoogieManFL said:
If you haven't seen any of the movies by Edgar Wright, fix that!

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, The Spaced Tv Series are all just fantastic!

If Edgar Wright ends up directing this movie, it'll be the best thing to happen to this franchise in a really long time!

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Thank god. Orci really really really sucks.
I was not looking forward to him just completely ruining what has until now been a pretty good version of Star Trek.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
OhgodpleasemakeitEdgarWright

*coughs*

PLEASE GET EDGAR WRIGHT OH GOD PLEASE!

That would be the best possible outcome *_*

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
But he's staying on as a producer. He's gotta make sure his magic blood fetish is still appeased somehow.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Conner42 said:
BoogieManFL said:
If you haven't seen any of the movies by Edgar Wright, fix that!

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, The World's End, The Spaced Tv Series are all just fantastic!

If Edgar Wright ends up directing this movie, it'll be the best thing to happen to this franchise in a really long time!
I like some of those movies, but that's not the tone I want in Star Trek. I'd rather bring back Nimoy, Meyer or Frakes who have experience making great Trek Films. The pace needs to be slowed and less 'flashy' with more meaty sci-fi substance. Abrams turned the franchise into a kiddie carnival, all flashing lights and thrills with no emotional or intellectual core. But Orci is now producing, so we can forget about that idea.