Robin Williams Dead From Suspected Suicide - Update

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Naqel said:
While I realize death is nothing to joke about, I feel like there's a joke about his opinion of that rumored Mrs. Doubtfire sequel somewhere around here.
Christ. I know that no one wanted that sequel, but I'd take Mrs. Doubtfire 2, 3, 4, 5 and beyond if we got to keep Robin Williams. ;_____;

OT: I've gone and watched Robin Williams' episode of "Who's Line Is It Anyway". Seems like a fitting tribute to the man. It will forever be the best episode.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
What the hell is it with this year and the deaths of nostalgic characters and entertainers?!?! Goddmanit, now I'm all depressed...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow that came as a total surprise. I can understand Depression though, I've battled it myself, it's not easy to deal with.

RIP Robin Williams. We will miss you.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
:c Unfortunate. You'd think someone as famous as him would be able to get the help he needs, but sometimes it's just not enough.

May he rest in peace, and may his family, friends, and fans be able to hold onto the good memories.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I was genuinely on the cusp of welling up about half an hour ago when I heard the news. That's never happened to me before when I've heard of a celebrity's passing.

There are public figures you follow, admire or respect. Robin Williams was one of the few I can say I genuinely loved.

RIP

http://youtu.be/vq_XBP3NrBo

(sorry, I don't know how to embed videos here)

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
krazykidd said:
Btw , it says suspected suicide, any idea how? Maybe i missed it in the thread.
The BBC article I read says 'suicide due to asphyxia'. So it narrows it down a bit depending on their definition.

"At this time, the Sheriff's Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made," police said in a statement.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28749702

This is horrible, I had always thought of him as an insanely cheerful guy but that's probably because he is so often cast as positive characters.
Depression isn't always inherently visible. I have it myself, but friends would say I'm a happy and energetic person.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Comedians are rarely happy people. So many suffer behind their jokes. I have always thought that, in a cruel, twisted way, hating yourself makes you better at comedy. You are willing to be the fool, to just make everyone else around you laugh, knowing the pain of being unable to laugh. He hasn't been the first to take his own life, Chris Farley took his own life and Drew Carey reportedly tried to do it twice.

No matter what he done, an oscar winning master piece or a short commercial for a chocolate bar, he always was a joy to watch, bringing so much energy. I have only rarely seen anyone who keep up with such energy. The world is truly poorer for this loss.

RIP, let's hope you found somewhere you can find happiness.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
I was genuinely on the cusp of welling up about half an hour ago when I heard the news. That's never happened to me before when I've heard of a celebrity's passing.

There are public figures you follow, admire or respect. Robin Williams was one of the few I can say I genuinely loved.

RIP

http://youtu.be/vq_XBP3NrBo

(sorry, I don't know how to embed videos here)
"I never met him, and I miss him like a family member."
That line from the article sums up a lot of how people feel about Robin Williams.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Man, this completely blindsided me. I wasn't expecting to read a headline like this for another twenty years or so.

I've never really seen a lot of the films he did (that having been said, I did watch things like Aladdin and Hook a lot growing up), but he was one of the few stand-up comedians I routinely followed over the years. I feel a lot like I did when I heard about George Carlin passing; like one of those distant relatives I only ever see once a year but love hanging out with because everything is a blast with them is suddenly gone from the world. Gorram, the world once again has become a slightly less funny place.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Just very sad indeed. Almost everyone I know has one or two Robin Williams movies they really love. I never saw his stand-up, but much like one of my other favorite comedians who left the mortal coil earlier this year, John Pinette, I am truly envious of anyone who did get to see him perform live.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I saw the headline and read the article and I'm still in denial. This is shit.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is a huge shock. He was in some of my all time favorite movies like Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society and Good Morning Vietnam. I don't think there's a movie he made that I haven't seen. And probably more than once.

Drake the Dragonheart said:
Almost everyone I know has one or two Robin Williams movies they really love.
So true. His movies were a topic of many discussions with friends in the past. He was one of those actors that people just couldn't ignore. I don't know anyone who'd remain indifferent after this news.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Huh, im actually really sad now.
Guess im gonna get drunk, watch a robin williams movie and cry now...

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I've been crying a bit since I heard about his passing hours ago. I usually don't feel much when celebrities die but this feels different. Like the cool grandpa you never had but cared about deeply just suddenly passes without warning. God fucking dammit I hate this feeling, I hoped I wouldn't feel it again!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
We were just talking about this at work. It sucks hard. What a great man to have to go through depression and then take his own life (allegedly). He has made so many good movies (Patch Adams, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam), can't forget Mork and Mindy either. Nanoo Nanoo, Robin Williams.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Tragic beyond words. Not just for his family and loved ones but the world as a whole. He'll no doubt be remembered as a legend in the years to come and rightly so, RIP.

On a side note do people really think Bicentennial Man is terrible? I haven't seen the other two films the editor described that way but I really liked Bicentennial Man, I didn't realise it was an unpopular film.