Robin's Arkham City Look Inspired By Cage Fighters

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Ren3004 said:
Beautiful End said:
Ren3004 said:
Looks pretty good, and the hood looks like it would hide his identity better than that little mask.
I actually beg to differ. Someone like Ezio from AC can get away with ti realistically because he's not supposed to be an all-out melee fighter. he's stealthy and smooth. And even though he jumps across rooftops and such, he is supposed to be something next to invisible. So if his hood slips down/back due to an acrobatic, well, first you gotta find him in order to prove it's Ezio.

Robin, on the other hand, is a fighter. He goes around kicking ass and taking names. His acrobatics do not go with a loose hood that's supposed to conceal his identity. Unless he's wearing a mask underneath (And I think he's not), someone is bound to see his face eventually. Yeah, he could probably knock those guys out. But hey, they gotta come back to their senses one day.

In order for him to wear a loose hood AND keep his identity conceal, it would mean he's more badass than Batman himself. And that's just not possible.

Btw, I love the design. But I don't think it's convenient. But we'll see.
Well, obviously he glues the hood to his head and lost his hair when he forgot to apply the the Bat-glue solvent before taking it off.

It makes perfect sense!
Or maybe he has no face!
*Puts on sunglasses*
In your face, criminals!

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Beautiful End said:
Or maybe he has no face!
*Puts on sunglasses*
In your face, criminals!
Wait, wait, I got it! He doesn't need to hide his face because looks exactly the same as every action adventure game protagonist in the last 5 years! Ah! Should he ever be seen he could just say "No, no, Starkiller did it! You've got the wrong guy!"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Did I say I wanted the original Robin? No. What I want is a less angsty, ridiculous looking design. Everything about that design screams "darker and edgier! Woooh!" Apart from the name, what links to Robin does that design have? It just looks like a generic musclebound thug with a coloured SWAT uniform.

As for colours, the Joker has contrasting colours, but the muted saturation works fine.

This is how Robin should look, with the Arkham Asylum/City aesthetic applied.

Even THIS looks better:
While I'll give you the fact that they really try hard to make him edgy, especially with that lame backstory, I abhore the images you link. Ugh, just image you being the Batman, sitting there in shadows watching some drugs operation going down, and bam Mister Circus Pants comes along. Say goodbye to stealth.

Hence why I usually hate Robin. Batman uses fear as a weapon, but that clown just makes me laugh, and not in the good way the Joker does. Now if Robin would be some good-guy version of the Joker...then I'd forgive his costume. But this new version of Robin looks like he could actually fight alongside Batman and supplement him instead of just looking jarringly out of place.

I'd almost be put off with Arkham Aslyum/City if they'd have a Robin like that. How am I ever going to be menacing, dangerous and scary with a springy bright-looking kid breathing in my neck? If he'd be like Nightwing from the start I'd loved him as a sidekick.

That fan-made one looks relatively okay though.
Veterinari said:
Ok, I can't be the only one seeing this?

[http://ploader.net/#4f48aa84c5bc2aaaf0fb5f6a4d3ff7e6.jpg]

And it all made sense.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Aw, widdle Damian's all grown up.

I don't care if it's Drake, that looks so much more like Damian at sixteen it isn't funny.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Joshimodo said:
Droppa Deuce said:
AAAAAAhahahahahahahhaa!

THIS is the Robin which I find laughable. NO DISGUISE AND ZERO THREAT FACTOR.

If this bro jumped in front of a few bodybuilding bank robbers, they'd tear his ass up.

Anyway, like i said, Rocksteady have the right vision; which is why they've made the most successful Batman game(s) of the franchise.

For the first time in my 27 years I actually have some respect for the Robin character.

The guys at Rocksteady don't mess about, this is awesome. I agree that some messy black hair would be cool, but hair is free and can grow back at any time.

Whatever happens after Nolan is finished with the franchise the creative brahs at Rocksteady should be brought on track to carry it on.

Maybe a HBO TV series.

I'm getting pumped

Bodybuilding bank robbers? When has that ever happened?

Besides, if we're talking physical strength, Batman couldn't win either in that case, realistically. Robin was never meant to be some musclebound meathead with the most generic and bland looking design going. He's meant to be a friggin' gymnast, for Chist's sake.

Same "threat factor" as Batman - Mobility and skills, coupled with minor armour and gadgets.

But hey - Maybe that's the point of the new design, to look as much like a typical MMA-loving hoodie chump as possible.
1. Read the comics dude, for example the Hush saga. The goons Bats fights in the opening are typical muscle. He remarks how he knows their weakspots as he's broken their ribs, arms, collar-bones in previous encounters over the years. Batman goons (not major villains) are usually pretty strong.

2. Bruce Wayne is in theory a bodybuilder himself. He has reached his genetic peak and maintained it. i.e. he is as strong, fast as he can be. He is a beast. Fighting juiced up thugs would be less of a challenge for him than the boy-wonder doing it. Rocksteady's version of Robin looks like a badass.

In preparation for next year's dark Knight Rises, I've been reading the Knightfall saga again (Bane). There are a few episodes where robin fights Killer Croc. All i can say is, that the fight scenes gave me lulz.

3. Yes, Robin is a gymnast. Male elite gymnasts are some of the strongest, ripped and bulked up brahs you're likely to see in competitive sport (only beaten by sprinters in their physique).

He shouldn't look like a reject from Glee, but a badass.

4. The little 14-24 year old Robin of the comics has no threat factor. He looks like an idiot. Batman (even in real life) would scare the crap out of most people, especially at night.

5. The Batman franchise is make-believe, so this is all to be taken with a pinch of salt.

x

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Imagine the bedroom antics with Batman with a Robin like that.

One word: Fierce.

unwesen

May 16, 2009
vansau said:
Robin's new character design looks pretty intense, and it turns out that the character was given a pretty hardcore background to match
So, he's Jason Todd?

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Ehhhhh.... I don't know, it's a bit too edgy for me. I mean, he's supposed to be the sidekick, right? When you're a sidekick that looks like you could beat up the hero you're sidekicking for, then something is a bit off. Hmmmmm....

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Wow, it's like they took Altair, tossed a bucket of muck-green paint with a dash of gritty yellow over him, and replaced the dagger with a staff. I am highly unimpressed. Seriously, the hood ruins it. It makes him look like every "gritty" game character ever. Altair, The Prince of Persia, Garret from Thief, I could go on...

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
HooterNanny said:
Tsk Tsk Rocksteady. You should know by now that all hardcore fans of anything hate any sort of change
you say that but people seem to be pretty impressed! I still think new robin looks a bit strange with that short cap and hood... Robins role originally was to contrast batman...

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
We wanted to create a Robin that players would identify as a contemporary character and move away from the traditional "Boy Wonder" image that most people know.

If you do not want Robin in your video game, then do not put Robin in your video game.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Yeah dude, much thanks.

This actually clarified a lot, although terms like 'getting blasted back through time' are a little over my head. I'm sure you don't really find this surprising, though.

I do have to admit that I lol-ed at 'Red Robin'. Dam, now I'm hungry

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
I'm not sure I like this. Isn't the whole essence of robin's character supposed to be that he's an overtly effeminate homosexual? This is messing with the series, like if Batman started using guns and killing people, or if Joker was suddenly portrayed a cold calculating mob boss like the Godfather as opposed to the random psycho we all know him as.

mkg

Feb 24, 2009
Looks like the hood was inspired by the Damian robin and the r is right out of red robin books, maybe a nod to tim drake's current alter ego? As for the suit, rocksteady seems to try to make batman's gear more legit by actually making it look like equipment and not spandex, so his suit seems to keep in line with the look of the rest of the game. The villains should all be decked out in flambuoyant gear hopefully. I really wish they would give Harlequin her damn costume and stop trying to make her look like a hooker, though.