Rockstar Announces Max Payne 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Announces Max Payne 3

Max Payne 3 [http://www.rockstargames.com] is in development and is scheduled to hit store shelves late this year.

Despite the hopeful note upon which Max Payne 2 [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/] ended, Max is looking mighty rough in an early promo image for the new sequel. The third chapter of his story finds Max retired from the New York Police Department but still "embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence."

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Rockstar Games Co-Founder Sam Houser. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Max has walked away not only from the NYPD but from New York City entirely - but bad luck and dead bodies seem to follow him like a long shadow on a frost-bitten February morning stretching across the hellishly black pit of despair that once was his heart, until the murders of his wife, his daughter and everything he loved turned him from honest family man to blood-soaked instrument of vengeance, hollow and dead inside. "Since leaving the NYPD and New York itself behind, Max has drifted from bad to worse," Take-Two [http://www.take2games.com] said in a press release. "Double-crossed and a long way from home, Max is now trapped in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out."

For those who don't know, and shame on you for it, Max Payne [http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne/] was an over-the-top noir shooter that pioneered the concept of "bullet time," allowing players to react in real-time while events around them move in slow-motion. Released in 2001, the game became as well-known for its melodramatic narrative as for its intense action and violence and spawned a sequel, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, in 2003.

The only potential downside is that it isn't being made by Xbox 360 [http://www.remedygames.com/], and is scheduled for release in winter 2009.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
HOOORAAAYYYY!

Anway, this is good news, even if the original devs aren't behind it.
The mind boggles at how Max's life can get worse after 2.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I thought that the Max from MP1 and Max from MP2 were two different takes on the same character, rather than a straight up continuation of a single character storyline...

Still, looks promising, I really enjoyed the first two.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
im glad someone like rockstar picked it up im sure they'll do it justice , just dont make it a gta clone.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
About time! I hope they realise they have a HELL of an act to follow after Max Payne 2...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
NOOO!

I don't want a game that will require Quad 3.0GHz and a new GeForce 280 to work on Minimal :/

LilnMINK

Jan 29, 2009
Honestly, I loved the first two Max Paynes, but can this third one really live up to them? I'm hoping it will indeed, and look forward to it's release.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
I bought Max Payne 1&2 on Steam a few months back. This news gives me motivation to complete them :)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PedroSteckecilo said:
I thought that the Max from MP1 and Max from MP2 were two different takes on the same character, rather than a straight up continuation of a single character storyline...
Nope, Max Payne 2 was a continuation of the same character and story. A lot of it - hell, most of it - wouldn't make much sense without some familiarity with Max's relationship with the supporting cast in the previous game.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hope Rockstar can make MP3 with the same standards that Remedy did MP 1 & 2.

And suddendly this year is starting to look more promesing.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Humm...seems facial hair is the in thing these days. While I don't doubt that having a manly beard isn't a peak of awesomeness...it gets pretty weird when it seems to be a fall-back to add a beard or hearty moustache to artificially increase said awesomeness quotient.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Yes... yes.... yes yes yes yes YEEEEEEEESSS! THAT...was a goaaal!

(Two internets to anyone who gets the reference)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know how to feel. I loved the first two games, so I'm having a hard time imagining how this game could live up to them. That and it seemed Max's life was finally going to start improving after the 2nd game(there was the impression he'd finally come to terms with his families deaths at the end). I'm not sure how they could make the game even darker then the others.

Granted, I'm quite willing to be proven wrong on all these points.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Glad to see 'em finally delivering on the promise of MP3 (ba-dum, tish) but why do they have to be so down on the guy? You'd think he'd get a little happiness in the time between games, he's earned it. Why does this game sounds like he's had a crap time since MP2? Can't they just -start- the game with things going wrong? It kinda cheapens the last game if it just led to a more horrible life for the main character.

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
*Spider-sense tingling!*

I absolutely loved the first two games, but there are several worrying factors in this announcement.

First off, new developer. That particular bit of news has rarely been good, for any franchise. Remedy know Max inside and out - even if the best developer in the world picks up the character after them, they're sure to mess with him in ways that Remedy wouldn't. It's the equivalent of giving X-Men 3 to Brett Rattner to deface direct, if you ask me. In fact, this influence is already apparent in...

...the "new" direction. Older Max - check. Bearded Max - a tentative OK, though unshaven would have been good enough. Max out of New York City - does not compute. New York has been a star in Max Payne as much as Max himself. Max Payne without New York would be like an X-Men movie without Professor Charles Xavier... oh wait, meh...

The "new" direction, part 2. In both previous games, Max started out at a more-or-less OK point, then went from bad to worse. However, here it sounds like he starts from rock-bottom - it could work, but once again, I don't think this is how Remedy would have done it.

Anyway, let's not give it a DOA welcome. It might turn out to be good!

PS: The guy in the picture looks more like Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell and less like Max.