Rockstar: Only "Terrible Parents" Buy Our Games for Their Kids

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
Good they are honest. Like I get a parent that understands the game plays it a bit and then decides if there teenager is mature enough for it. Although I have seen parents who let there 8 year olds play GTA and that's shitty parenting

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm a terrible parent?

Has someone been keeping their tests secret?

Now I've just got to work out if I'm a mummy or daddy.
Are you my mummy?

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
ColdStorage said:
I'll snip your comment just as you did mine because you clearly didn't read anything I wrote, I read half of what you wrote and its what I'm trying to put across with my rubbish jokes.

So in conclusion, you have a good point kid, but you stumbled on "its up to the parent", when my entire shit joke was about how Rockstar games are designed to appeal to kids and not adults.

I'm an adult and I hate RockStar games, I also hate scones (Tea for the win though), when I was a teen I thought DMA design (thats what rockstar used to be called) were avant garde.

You can't sit there and tell the world that "its the parents fault" when RockStar actively markets there games for children.

RockStar games are like a coffee with 17 sugars in it, fun when you 13 years old, but once your palate grows you'll wonder what the fuck you was doing drinking a coffee with 17 sugars in.
Rockstar does not market their games to kids. Kids just like stuff that's older and more mature. The same applies for girls who try to be older by dressing like sluts. Rockstar was ahead of it's time in recognizing that the real money to be made in the gaming industry lies with the 20 and 30 something crowd that have disposable income, and thus they started making adult-oriented games.

Basically, if you tell a kid / teenager they can't have something all that's going to do is make them want it more. But if you're a parent and you don't know what goes on in the games you're getting your kids, then yes, you're a bad parent. As a parent it's your responsibility to know your child and know whether they are ready to handle some things or are able to distinguish fantasy from reality.

When I was a kid, I was playing Donkey Kong and Mario.... up until about 14 when I got a hold of Carmageddon, Doom and Mortal Kombat. However, back then, the games were so poor in the graphics department it was kind of easy to distinguish fantasy from reality, in the same way that cartoonish violence in Bugs Bunny and such was easy to distinguish.

When the violence starts to get more realistic, like CoD or GTA, then you really need to make sure your kid understands the difference. There's no way that kids as young as 10, 11 or 12 need to be playing stuff like CoD, ESPECIALLY online. Problem is, game systems are the new babysitters in today's society and most parents don't feel like doing any actual parenting.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
TPiddy said:
ColdStorage said:
I'll snip your comment just as you did mine because you clearly didn't read anything I wrote, I read half of what you wrote and its what I'm trying to put across with my rubbish jokes.

So in conclusion, you have a good point kid, but you stumbled on "its up to the parent", when my entire shit joke was about how Rockstar games are designed to appeal to kids and not adults.

I'm an adult and I hate RockStar games, I also hate scones (Tea for the win though), when I was a teen I thought DMA design (thats what rockstar used to be called) were avant garde.

You can't sit there and tell the world that "its the parents fault" when RockStar actively markets there games for children.

RockStar games are like a coffee with 17 sugars in it, fun when you 13 years old, but once your palate grows you'll wonder what the fuck you was doing drinking a coffee with 17 sugars in.
Rockstar does not market their games to kids. Kids just like stuff that's older and more mature. The same applies for girls who try to be older by dressing like sluts. Rockstar was ahead of it's time in recognizing that the real money to be made in the gaming industry lies with the 20 and 30 something crowd that have disposable income, and thus they started making adult-oriented games.

Basically, if you tell a kid / teenager they can't have something all that's going to do is make them want it more. But if you're a parent and you don't know what goes on in the games you're getting your kids, then yes, you're a bad parent. As a parent it's your responsibility to know your child and know whether they are ready to handle some things or are able to distinguish fantasy from reality.

When I was a kid, I was playing Donkey Kong and Mario.... up until about 14 when I got a hold of Carmageddon, Doom and Mortal Kombat. However, back then, the games were so poor in the graphics department it was kind of easy to distinguish fantasy from reality, in the same way that cartoonish violence in Bugs Bunny and such was easy to distinguish.

When the violence starts to get more realistic, like CoD or GTA, then you really need to make sure your kid understands the difference. There's no way that kids as young as 10, 11 or 12 need to be playing stuff like CoD, ESPECIALLY online. Problem is, game systems are the new babysitters in today's society and most parents don't feel like doing any actual parenting.
damn, I was just about to type something very similiar.
Imma just gonna +1 this.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Too true. It's about time someone said it.

Any parent who buys their child an 18 rated game, then complains about their child being exposed to adult content, is a fucking imbecile.

Oh Hephaestus

May 27, 2010
As yes, "designing" games for "age".

Tell me friends, what age was basketball designed for?

Now let me tell you something: Nothing is designed for age(or gender or race). Only indirectly does age come into it. A complicated videogame might be too difficult for a child enjoy(or too difficult for an adult who plays worse than a child, lol). (Mind you GTA is nowhere near the point where it scares off kids. Think arcade games and high-level competition. GTA is actually quite easy. RDR I haven't played yet, but I assume the same.) A videogame with gore and graphic violence may be too difficult for a child to obtain because their parents follow certain doctrines, believe in certain rules of child raising.

Here is another bit of controversy for you: Games(video or otherwise) are entirely "childish". Don't delude yourself. This entire website is about a childish activity and the people who work on it spend a greater part of their lives talking about toys. This is a good thing. "Playing" is life at its best. (So stop being ashamed of it, while we are at it. It is really equally "pathetic" whether it is pretending to be a mobster or a pokemon trainer.)

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Wait, didn't Rockstar make a Ping Pong game once?

Calumon: I only play Digimon and Jack won't let me play much else, besides LittleBIGPlanet.
I know that they made lemmings

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Its about damn time they retaliated and said all of the unheard cries of us as we defended it against shit spewing stations like fox

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
DarkHourPrince said:
It really depends on the maturity of the child in question. My little sister is going on 12 and she started playing Bully alongside me at 10. Did this encourage her to go out ant commit school violence? No. Because it's a GAME, and she knows that. She also watched my uncle and I play numerous Grand Theft Auto titles.

The problem here isn't GAMES. It's a lack of parental involvement that makes kids unable to tell the difference between games and reality. Yes, there is a certain boundary with younger kids and games produced by companies like Rockstar, but parents themselves are really to blame, not the developers. If they market for older audiences and parents buy them for the young, who is at fault?
I agree, at the same time there's a difference between bully and say GTA4, (actually I haven't played the former, so I can't really make an informed opinion on it, call it an educated guess) drugs, sex and more violence is introduced in R18 games where as M games (which I understand bully is) cover what...? Violence? Possibly some 'themes' but I don't think it contains much in the way of sex or drugs. Both of which are heavily tabooed by western society.

Anyway back to the bit where I agree, this is only REALLY an issue when the game is presented with neglect, I play alot of games possibly deemed mature with my sister and supervise what's going on and occasionally censor whatever needs be censored and I have to say she's probably one of the (if not the) most stable teenager I know.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
I don't quite agree with this statement. If you're a parent who bought a Rockstar game for your kid without being aware of what you were buying, you're terrible. If you believe your child is mature enough to enjoy the game without shooting up the school after, then great.

DarkHourPrince

May 12, 2010
Kurokami said:
DarkHourPrince said:
It really depends on the maturity of the child in question. My little sister is going on 12 and she started playing Bully alongside me at 10. Did this encourage her to go out ant commit school violence? No. Because it's a GAME, and she knows that. She also watched my uncle and I play numerous Grand Theft Auto titles.

The problem here isn't GAMES. It's a lack of parental involvement that makes kids unable to tell the difference between games and reality. Yes, there is a certain boundary with younger kids and games produced by companies like Rockstar, but parents themselves are really to blame, not the developers. If they market for older audiences and parents buy them for the young, who is at fault?
I agree, at the same time there's a difference between bully and say GTA4, (actually I haven't played the former, so I can't really make an informed opinion on it, call it an educated guess) drugs, sex and more violence is introduced in R18 games where as M games (which I understand bully is) cover what...? Violence? Possibly some 'themes' but I don't think it contains much in the way of sex or drugs. Both of which are heavily tabooed by western society.

Anyway back to the bit where I agree, this is only REALLY an issue when the game is presented with neglect, I play alot of games possibly deemed mature with my sister and supervise what's going on and occasionally censor whatever needs be censored and I have to say she's probably one of the (if not the) most stable teenager I know.
The thing that sets Bully off with people is the fact that they call it on "violence on school grounds" which is crap because there's plenty of stuff you can do in the city and anything on school grounds you're almost immediately punished for (by having to outrun prefects, kind of like the star levels on GTA) and any "violence" to be had is done with things like marbles, bottle rocket launchers, and a potato gun, so it's not like there's even REAL guns even when you harass the police, they NEVER use guns. It's all comical kid stuff. Yes, there's swearing, but again, the game was marketed for an older audience.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
slackbheep said:
I don't quite agree with this statement. If you're a parent who bought a Rockstar game for your kid without being aware of what you were buying, you're terrible. If you believe your child is mature enough to enjoy the game without shooting up the school after, then great.
Yes, the statement does need clarification, I agree.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
See? Even Rockstar says that you shouldn't buy it for your kid. Now, stop spoiling the little bastard and discipline his ass like a good parent.

underdog9785

Feb 3, 2010
Kinda wish iwnet said something like that. It would at least keep all the 10 year olds from going into mw2 and using the mic.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
So my mom buying me Red Dead Redemption makes her a terrible parent? Even though I payed for it and I'm 16.

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
I assume they're only talking about games like Gta and Manhunt, two games which you definately shouldn't buy for young ten year olds. However, Rockstar have made games such as Bully and Table Tennis which are probably more suitable for younger kids to play.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Let's be honest here if all of you were children and were aware of how awesome Rockstar game are would you say that this was a complete truth?