Rockstar: Only "Terrible Parents" Buy Our Games for Their Kids

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Deofuta said:
Izzil said:
I remember Family Guy doing something like this in an episode after the series was rebooted where they chided bad parents for letting their kids watch the smut the show put on the air. It was the last time I had any shred of respect for the pile of bile the show had become.

Kudos to Rockstar for swinging its brassy pair.
Wait, you dissed the show for doing this, but commend the game company? I am lost

Also, It is funny that Rockstar has said this, and I would like to see the expression of a parent who reads this.
No, I'm saying when Family Guy did what Rockstar just did that it's the last time the show managed to win any respect from me, as it had become a pile of plotless, unfunny crap around the same time. It had been nice to see it had any sort of fiber for something more than just its own rehashed running jokes that had long lost their sparkle.

In short, I'm commending both for telling off shit parents.

007dog900

Apr 27, 2009
I'm 14 and my parents let me buy it, are they terrible parents for recognizing that i can handle mature content?

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I think they referring to the parents who just buy their kid a game and not care about the rating or content, and then when the kid does something stupid or say something bad that they got from the game, the parents flip out and blame the game

Parents who make sure to check the content and make sure they explain bad things that their kids wouldn't get or make sure they know it's just a video game are bad parents, they're just looser in what they allow their kids to watch and play and make sure they let their kids know exactly what they're doing, and that's playing a video game, not training for something in real life or showing the way the world is, it's just mindless entertainment

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
What age are they talking because I feel that most 13-year-olds have a firm grasp on reality and fiction, actually probably younger then that... Also, I think "terrible" is a bit much.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I totally agree. "16 year olds and up are mature enough to play online games. 15 and under are not in most cases." That's what someone said to me when I was 15 - I thought he was stupid for saying that, but as soon as I turned 16 I understood what he meant by it. Parents: Don't buy R* games for under 16'z

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
XJ-0461 said:
They've got the right idea.

Now, if only parents would listen to stuff like this...
if they DID, rockstar would be a lot less profitable... at least that'd be my guess. xD

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
manythings said:
I have always thought the solution was , instead of having the little 18 (or M or whatever it is where you come from) Have it big, like three inches in diameter, so no one can ever claim that it is somehow unclear what the fuck the game is all about.
In Australia the ratings board msg is about 2-3cm high and 4-5cm long, and their identical to movies and all are colour coded. So no-one can claim ignorance.

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
Izzil said:
I remember Family Guy doing something like this in an episode after the series was rebooted where they chided bad parents for letting their kids watch the smut the show put on the air. It was the last time I had any shred of respect for the pile of bile the show had become.

Kudos to Rockstar for swinging its brassy pair.
Phah! Pile of bile. Rhymes are awesome!

Yeah, it's mindless entertainment. Perfect if you're doing something else, or drunk, or high. Or backwards. Or all four, and typing on the Escapist right now...what? Shut up and go away...I never watch Family Guy...I only watch awesome hipster shows like Tim & Eric...I'm cool! Stop looking at me.

It's done more to harm the image of the left in America than anything else, which is funny considering Seth's views. Probably the funniest thing about Family Guy, too, it's just wallpaper that moves. A little, anyway(lazy animation).

Wait...wait...

Get back to topic...

Yeap, I agree, Rockstar was both brave and correct to make this statement. That said, a terrible parent who trains their offspring for evil and a terrible parent who sticks some ultraviolence on for their little droogs to save them from being bothered are two very different things. The difference being the former are awesome.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
What about Oni and Bully?

Bully could teach kids too, uhh, well it wan't M, so there!
1. You remember Oni?

2. Oni was not a Rockstar game. It was published by Rockstar but developed by....

*drum roll*

BUNGIE

NonyaZ

I'm still not that kind of Orc.
Apr 18, 2010
I think he is being too vague in how he states his argument. Buying a video game for your child doesn't make you a bad parent, letting your child be ignorant to what is and isn't acceptable does. If you don't have a proactive role in the development of your child and let them play all the "M" rated games they can get their grimy little hands on there may be a slight chance that they grow up to be the serial killer they played in that game. However taking an active role, showing them what life is really like and the difference between good and bad makes you an excellent parent regardless of what video game you buy them. In short, retards usually breed retards.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I think, if your kids can handle these games, you're not a terrible parent, but apart from that, what he says is too true. Especially how video games are judged with far harsher standards for adult content than movies or TV shows.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
How dare they insult my parents!
You should probably keep in mind they're just referring to young children in general, around 10-13, or something like that. I'm pretty sure they weren't mentioning older teenagers or young adults.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
well if you took away all the under 18 gamers that play their games it probubly wouldt be unrealesticc to say their playerbase may be halfed, besides, it depends on the childs maturity, ive met some 14 year olds more mature then some 22 year olds

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
This radio host is my hero O' the day. My hero O' the day for yesterday was Ruslan Mukanov for those who car and here is why.

http://www.luxist.com/2010/02/01/russian-man-builds-his-own-rolls-royce-phantom/

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
The_Oracle said:
thenumberthirteen said:
How dare they insult my parents!
You should probably keep in mind they're just referring to young children in general, around 10-13, or something like that. I'm pretty sure they weren't mentioning older teenagers or young adults.
That's how old I was when I got GTA 3 :)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Go Rockstar, GO!

About time someone put the blame for violent games getting into the hands of kids on the parents and not the government/video game industry.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
He's wrong.

Parents who buy their 10-year-olds GTA IV, then sue R* for no real reason are terrible parents. There's no difference between a 15-year-old and an 18-year-old, so a parent buying their 15-year-old GTA really isn't anything awful.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
I have played Rockstar games since 10 years old.
My parents let me after some googling around and repeatedly reminding me it is only a game.
I understood and did not start pushing drugs or killing entire gangs the size of Hell's Angels.