Rockstar Unveils New Cinematic Trailer for Red Dead Redemption II

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Rockstar Unveils New Cinematic Trailer for Red Dead Redemption II

Rockstar have released a new trailer for Red Dead Redemption II, the highly-anticipated sequel to the exceptionally well-received 2010 open-world cowboy-themed action game.

The trailer introduces its new playable character, Arthur Morgan, an outlaw part of the van der Linde gang who steal and fight their way across the heart of America. Since the game will be a prequel to Red Dead Redemption, it details the actions that lead to the foundation of Dutch's Gang - the gang that John Marston would go on to join, leave and attempt to bring to justice. Judging by the trailer (and the gators leaping up out of the water to chow down on some unlucky cowboys) the game will be set at least in part around a fictionalised Deep South, with some drawing the conclusion that it will be set in an earlier version of New Bordeaux from Mafia III.

Update: And just as a clarifying point: Mafia III is of course, not a Rockstar game. It was published by 2K, who are owned by Take-Two, who in turn also own Rockstar. A leaked map seems to confirm the name of New Bordeaux. But until the game is released the jury is out on whether or not it's a coincidence.

The trailer is also available on Rockstar's site [http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/].

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
EscapeGoat said:
with some drawing the conclusion that it will be set in an earlier version of New Bordeaux from Mafia III.
What? Mafia 3 wasn't a Rockstar game, what's this about?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*Rubs goatee in contemplation*

Hmm, I see. Looks sufficient. Nothing to complain about. I am in no way excited whatsoever, no siree!...There was nary a twinge in the gut department that one could humbly pertain to any form of natural positive anticipatory emotions. I am the most unfeeling, unbiased, and most importantly... unhairy entity to judge this presentation. Like, say, this human here;

That's my loyal stoicism right there. A floating head of criticism in a dark void of cynicism. See? [small]You can trust me. They can trust me...[/small]

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Benpasko said:
EscapeGoat said:
with some drawing the conclusion that it will be set in an earlier version of New Bordeaux from Mafia III.
What? Mafia 3 wasn't a Rockstar game, what's this about?
No, but it was published by Take-Two (well, by 2K, who are owned by Take-Two who own both 2K and Rockstar) - additionally there was a leaked map which featured the city with the name New Bordeaux (as with all leaks we take it with a pinch of salt until release of course). Could potentially be a coincidence, might not be. Fair point though so if you don't mind I'll edit it to include the point.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It looks good, but I hate Rockstar games on console, because their controls are terrible.

I can wait until it invitibly comes to PC somewhere down the line, so I can play it with a decent input method, at a modern frame rate.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I still need to play the first one, and I've had it sitting in my closet for like five years now so I'm in no hurry to start.

Apr 5, 2008
Until they learn that PC players exist, R* can f**k off. I'll start caring about their games when they start caring about something other than consoles. And shark card buyers.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure there's going to be a PC release. A year later at the most. Rockstar figured out a way to milk money from gamers, and they're not going to pass on the opportunity to milk PC gamers after the financial success that GTA V was on the PC.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Looks--- okay, I guess. Another [probably unpleasant] bloke-does-crime-open-worlder, so it's R* being as ironically conservative as usual. How's about a female lead, maybe? That'd shake things up a little, at least.

The world will most likely be the real star, and unlike GTAV's urban sprawl it'll be one I actually want to explore and mess around in.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
John Marston while formerly an outlaw working for the government at least had a sense of morality and honor about him. This Morgan guy just seems like a 1 dimensional dick. If he is the character that players use I at least hope Rockstar made him a deeper character than being a 1 dimensional dick.

Dunc2j

Jul 19, 2010
Think it looks great, but Read Dead Redemption is probably one of my top all time games so I will need to try keep expectations in check. Though it is Rocsktar who, for me anyway, never disappoint. My one concern is that John was such a fantastic character and as some others have pointed out the guy in this trailer just kind of seems a dick. But its early days, the first trailers for Redemption did nothing to showcase the actual character of John either.

Only frustrating part is that I'm actually contemplating buying a PS4 for this due to being too impatient to wait for a pc release. Suppose Ill finally get to play Uncharted and the Last Of Us while I'm at it.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm thinking that Arthur Morgan is only going to be one of the playable characters. He's the amoral asshat that Trevor is in GTA5. Given that you're riding with Dutch's gang you'll probably get to play other members like Bill Williamson (he's in the video), maybe Javier Escuella, and no doubt a young John Marston himself. The woman looks like she could be Abigail (John's wife). She rode with the gang and looks very similar aside from the hair colour.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
KingsGambit said:
Until they learn that PC players exist, R* can f**k off. I'll start caring about their games when they start caring about something other than consoles. And shark card buyers.
This. Screw Rockstar and their shitty practices.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
So it's a prequel set in John Marston's gang but we're playing as someone who never turned up nor was ever mentioned in Red Dead Redemption 1.

Oh dear, have I already spoiled the ending for this?

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
The game looks very ambitious! it's just amazing how the environments seem open and beautiful. Am I dreaming? Personally I love it.
At the same time, when you know the talent of the studio responsible for the development of the title, as well as the experience and all the know-how that they showed during the last decade, it is a safe bet that the overall end result will be very similar or even identical to the screens and video teasers published officially on the web. To see if on PS4 (not Pro) and Xbox One (not X), it will be enough fluid or not?