Rogue One Will Never Get a Sequel

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rogue One Will Never Get a Sequel

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1364/1364413.jpg
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says that no matter how well Rogue One performs, it will not get a sequel.

Rogue One [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/rogue], the upcoming Star Wars spin off starring Felicity Jones, will not be getting a sequel no matter how well it performs, stresses Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

Kennedy made it clear in the latest issue of Empire magazine [http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-exclusive-rogue-one-covers-revealed/] that the film will strictly be stand-alone, and the studio has no plans for a follow up. Lucasfilm chief creative officer John Knoll and director Gareth Edwards echoed her sentiment, with Edwards going so far to say that Rogue One already has a sequel: 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope.

So, for those of you worried that each of these Star Wars spin offs was going to spin off into a full trilogy, fret not.

For the uninitiated, Rogue One tells the story of the daring rebel spies who stole the plans to the Empire's infamous Death Star, setting the events of A New Hope into motion.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens in theaters on December 16.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/29/star-wars-lucasfilm-boss-kathleen-kennedy-says-no-rogue-one-direct-sequel]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Did they say no prequel, reboot or rehash as well? And is there a reason to believe them anyway?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Thaluikhain said:
Did they say no prequel, reboot or rehash as well? And is there a reason to believe them anyway?
Why would they ever need to reboot it? Rebooting it would mean rebooting the whole bloody universe, and at that point a Rogue One reboot will be the last thing on our minds.

Anyway, this was pretty obvious. We already know that almost half the team is going to die, and Star Wars has way more lucrative storylines than Rogue One. Rogue One is just Disney testing the waters. Only if Rogue One breaks a billion would I see a sequel coming.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, because when has disney ever forced out sequals for something that absolutely doesn't need one? This is where I'd list all of the times they've done that, but you as the reader have already thought of your preferred example to prove my point, so I'll just be over here eating salt one grain at a time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well. We know the plans for the Death Star weren't something the Rebellion came by easily. We know this amazing covert operative didn't turn up later. Two and two together, and...?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I could have sworn that it was announced a while-back that all the spin-off movies are going to be stand-alone projects...was there any reason to expect this movie to get a sequel? It's meant to bridge the gap between III and IV...what, were people thinking they were gonna stuff an entire trilogy in there?

........I say this in a world where The Hobbit was stretched into 3 movies. >.>

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The curse of Video Game movies. e_e

Knowing Disney, I'm sure they'll find a way to make an extra crappy sequel some day. Rogue 2: Jan's New Groove.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I...well, yeah?

Kind of thought this was a foregone conclusion. These are effectively one-shots.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Saelune said:
It has a sequel...that was made in the 70's >~>
That makes it a prequel.

Either way though, who here didn't think most/all of the team was doing to be offed?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Shoggoth2588 said:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.
I agree, I'd like to see them as one-offs. But that doesn't mean for sure these "rogues" will be killed off, they in theory could show up in the main series or a further on one-off at some point. Or maybe already have been shown in a Star Wars movie.

Lucas liked his merchandising, and Disney isn't any different. And action figures of dead characters might not sell as well with the kids.

Actually I was pretty sure they would all die at the end of Rogue One. Then I watched Matpat's latest Film Theory. He theorizes they all live to sell the merch... and he has me convinced.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's a commando raid movie. If the main cast doesn't take 100% casualties with 80% KiA, I'll be disappointed.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Well it does sort of lead into A New Hope. That said, self contained stories are good. It doesn't always have to spawn multiple movies. Closure!

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
They'll just bring out new digitally remastered version of the original movies with the characters from Rouge One added in to background scenes in the cantina and stuff.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kyrian007 said:
Actually I was pretty sure they would all die at the end of Rogue One. Then I watched Matpat's latest Film Theory. He theorizes they all live to sell the merch... and he has me convinced.
I'm not sure if I should bother putting this in spoilers, because pretty much all of us either don't care or are expecting it, but it is already confirmed that at least one member of the team will die.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, it wont get a sequel in terms of direct story progression, because as i understand it Rouge One is to be an open and closed book that stands as an accessory to the main series of films.

But to suggest that at least one of the characters might not turn up somewhere else? Well maybe if they arent going to produce more side stories set suring the Imperial era.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
A lot of Bothans died getting that information

I wouldn't mind more standalone films from star wars, honestly. I'm already more interested then I am in the next trilogy film. This looks like what Force Awakens should have been.