Role-Playing Games

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
Considering JRPGs are the only genre I seem to like (since sandbox games never hold my intrest more than a day, and Arkham Asylum only lasted a day), I have enough knowledge to know what problems they and "Western" RPGs have: stagnation. There is no game on Earth that can do anything differently. Everything is merely a copy of something else. Since 2000 or so, Japanese games have relied HEAVILY on anime based story arcs, characters, plots, and dear god the dialogue; copious amounts of dialogue. I'm not sure if the western developers have this issue, but it seems like developers not named Square Enix think the way to make any kind of headway is to ditch graphics and tell story by having an anime portrait pop up while a paralyzed mannequin is on the screen barely doing anything while the characters talk. The reliance on the "cutscene, dungeon, grind, big ass pre-boss cutscene, boss fight, recover, repeat" dynamic is frustrating. Persona alleviated this somewhat by using the day to day structure, but even those game fall into the rest of the typical faults Yahtzee brings up.

It made me think about how Arkham did character development; minimal cutscenes while the rest of the dialogue was fleshed out during gameplay (thanks to an intercom). I've seen Rogue Galaxy to that, but only using three random cuts of speech for every character to infinity. As much as you could blame FF7 for this, I blame Metal Gear Solid; ever since MGS came out, games have steadily relied on being "cinematic." Apparently, the model now is "USE AS MANY CUTSCENES AS POSSIBLE! MAKE IT AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE!" Well, Xenosaga (the one that EVERYONE brings up as the most obvious offender) was not interactive. It was an anime series (three in fact) spread out to insane length by adding characters walking around and getting into fights. Sadly, MGS4 raised the bar again by making cutscenes last an hour before gameplay breaks.

Games are no longer pick up and play mechanics; it takes a game like Arkham for me to be a good compromise. Let the plot points happen IN the game space while you're walking around, and don't waste money on expensive cutscenes just to feel "cinematic." Think about it, the ending to FF8 was 10-15 minutes; nearly every game in existence reels those off cutscenes that long within the first hour. It is an issue of games as a whole, not RPGs themselves.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Yahtzee, I love your Zero Punctuation vids, but your writing in the same style as your verbage doesn't work. If you don't mind a touch of critique, keep reading. If you DO mind, stop here. (You're welcome.)

I'll keep it short. Your videos are snappy, and sharply funny. The written form may have the same spirit in mind, but it just comes off like any other forum chimp that thinks they're superior than everyone else. Arrogant was my first choice of words coming to mind after reading that, confirmed by your first reply to this article. Even imagining your accent and speed doesn't help.

I'd suggest lightening up a bit? Or at least try a new angle than ripping a game/fans several new holes. Your written word lacks the delivery oumph to get across your usual humor. Maybe take the opportunity to be more assuring? Talk about good points? Positive stuff? Save the negative for Zero Punctuation.

And here ends my one and only critique I will ever give you, Yahtzee. :) Beyond this point, I won't try to tell you, or suggest to you how to do your job. I hope my words help, even if you disregard them, and they just stick in your brain, festering into a good idea. ;)

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Woodsey said:
I've never understood the JRPG naming, but RPGs have always clearly been the likes of KotOR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc.

There's a difference between playing the role (like in Batman: AA) and "being" the role (like in the games listed above).
For console games the term has been around from when console RPG's were pretty much all from Japan - titles like Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are what old git gamers like me were playing eons ago. The titles you've mentioned are those which has allowed the 'genre' to grow and diversify. They are also much more recent than the 8 and 16 bit series I've mentioned.

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
As I've said before, JRPGs are more akin to a true RPG and western RPGs are more like an action-RPG hybrid as of about 6 years ago.

I'm so sick and tired of JRPG bashing. If you don't like the genre, don't play it; but don't sit there and criticize it on grounds you don't understand, because you encourage negative attitudes in those who haven't played them, and in those who have, you incite an ire greater than Melkor himself could unleash upon your wretched, misinformed soul.

You want a list of decent JRPGs, so you can form a coherent opinion?

Because I'd be more than happy to oblige, just like I told you where you misunderstood Demon's Souls' gameplay mechanics and once you understood that you said it wasn't so bad.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Joe Matsuda said:
all my friends tell me to play borderlands

they say its "like fallout 3, but without all that rpg crap... just the shooting!"

then i say "but thats why i loved fallout 3...cause of the rpg crap"... and then we almost get killed by a crazy navy guy who thinks we littered
I liken it to Fallout 3 without the crashing or the long drawn out bullshit.

The story is also more believable which isn't saying much ;).

It was a great game which means Yahtzee would hate it hardcore.

Helba1984 said:
I'm so sick and tired of JRPG bashing. If you don't like the genre, don't play it; but don't sit there and criticize it on grounds you don't understand, because you encourage negative attitudes in those who haven't played them, and in those who have, you incite an ire greater than Melkor himself could unleash upon your wretched, misinformed soul.
But that would completely defeat the one pleasant activity that nipple dick bitchery PHD's do in the day :(. They didn't spend all those years learning how to be a whiny dick wad just to put it away and actually stop stepping on other people's balls.

Seriously taking all the fun out of having no personality.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
s69-5 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
An adventure game IMO is an action game that may or may not have RPG elements game that focuses more on exploring or progressing from A to B more slowly than a an action game(RE,Onimusha,Castelvina,Eternal darkness,Indigo prophesy,ect more adventure than action or RPG ).

A action RPG is an action game with RPG elements like Zelda ....or ME and dragon age :p.

Give me some titles and see if I can not slot them properly!! :p
While I mostly agree, just thought I'd point out that Zelda always has been classified as an adventure game (going waaaayyyy back to the days of the NES). Zelda has never been considered an ARPG.

Casltevania is an Action game. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest MIGHT be considered adventure.
I dunno I always heard it called an action RPG but really both are the same to slight varying degrees. ICO (and maybe even Shadow of the Colossus) would be much more adventure and zelda would be more action, action is the key to zelda not necessarily the adventure bit tho ALTTP is more adventure than any other zelda to date as far as I am concerned.

Now if one coming to things saw or played FF12 it could be called a action adventure RPG, but with all its trappings its just a RPG with real time combat as an option.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Helba1984 said:
As I've said before, JRPGs are more akin to a true RPG and western RPGs are more like an action-RPG hybrid as of about 6 years ago.

Because I'd be more than happy to oblige, just like I told you where you misunderstood Demon's Souls' gameplay mechanics and once you understood that you said it wasn't so bad.
For the last 6 years ago JRPGs have devoled into MMO(grinding) like bland as crap(equipment wise) RPGs not to mention the general size of the game world has steadily shrunken this effects WRPGs more they become short and short sighted like the rest of petty pretty media..... I wish the 2 would merge fun equipment/skills, some optional grindage, pretty boys and grand level design!

FF12 was sooooooo close....*sigh*

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

For the last 6 years ago JRPGs have devoled into MMO(grinding) like bland as crap(equipment wise) RPGs not to mention the general size of the game world has steadily shrunken this effects WRPGs more they become short and short sighted like the rest of petty pretty media..... I wish the 2 would merge fun equipment/skills, some optional grindage, pretty boys and grand level design!

12 was an atrocity; it was an action game wearing a RPG costume to the FF party, and I saw right through it. Let us hope they never try that again.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

12 was an atrocity; it was an action game wearing a RPG costume to the FF party, and I saw right through it. Let us hope they never try that again.
What FF had level design...err....... I am thinking....er..... ok characters.....er...ok story..... the equipment was bland and crappy FF has been suffering from that on and off since 8....the skill system was broken. But what I am getting at, put in classic and fun FF weapons not the MMO knock offs put in 3 or 4 accessories per character and for christ sake over haul the skill board system or use the sphere grid for FFX...which was the only worth while thing about 10....well that and customization of equipment.........

You do realize its just TB combat set to realtime, frankly I would have loved it if they expanded it a bit more let you break up party members like dragon age, have radius based spells and suck, hell with alil tweak you could a Shining force using that setup!

BTW....FF12 is better than FF8 and FFX...and FF5...well...FF5 was kinda fun it was a lulz fest and all......... tho FF9 is better than..well..... any of them since FF6.....

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

What FF had level design...err....... I am thinking....er..... ok characters.....er...ok story..... the equipment was bland and crappy FF has been suffering from that on and off since 8....the skill system was broken. But what I am getting at, put in classic and fun FF weapons not the MMO knock offs put in 3 or 4 accessories per character and for christ sake over haul the skill board system or use the sphere grid for FFX...which was the only worth while thing about 10....well that and customization of equipment.........

You do realize its just TB combat set to realtime, frankly I would have loved it if they expanded it a bit more let you break up party members like dragon age, have radius based spells and suck, hell with alil tweak you could a Shining force using that setup!

BTW....FF12 is better than FF8 and FFX...and FF5...well...FF5 was kinda fun it was a lulz fest and all......... tho FF9 is better than..well..... any of them since FF6.....
Yes, I do realize that, being that I'm not a moron. I do, in fact, not prefer real-time to turn based. The former requires only reflexes while the latter requires lateral thinking and strategy. X's battle system was honestly the best one I've played in any RPG barring Legend of Dragoon.

And no, 12 was a stinkpile compared to X. Story was interesting, the world was well crafted, but the combat turned me off so much I never managed to get past hour 35.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
Again, surely every game has you playing a role to a certain extent, but presumably it's intended to harken back to the old pen-and-paper role-playing games you used to play with your little friends around the kitchen table in your pathetic, idle youth (or pathetic, idle current existence).

I don't know if i should laugh or be offended :\ And even in mass effect you only get a few options for what what kind of character you want to play and in the end it won't matter to anyone but you because the true element of an rpg is friends.
I need to dust off my social skills and get a dnd group together.

The Noble Shade

Dec 24, 2008
I can understand not wanting to review Borderlands because of the multiplayer aspect, but wouldn't co-op games be an exception? I mean, I never play co-op games publicly (unless I desperately need help), I play with one of my friends in private co-op, because split-screen is not what it used to be. I tried Borderlands in split-screen and thought it was awful (the split-screen, I mean, because you can't see the entire HUD).

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

Yes, I do realize that, being that I'm not a moron. I do, in fact, not prefer real-time to turn based. The former requires only reflexes while the latter requires lateral thinking and strategy. X's battle system was honestly the best one I've played in any RPG barring Legend of Dragoon.

And no, 12 was a stinkpile compared to X. Story was interesting, the world was well crafted, but the combat turned me off so much I never managed to get past hour 35.
That should read What FF12 had.....

Not really as the real time combat can be turned off so its your fault for using it :p
What really destroyed the game was it had generic generic equipment and a crap pooly thought out skill system and blitz where cheap and crappy, it was mostly a very shallow game.

I had more fun toying with the combat system than the game itself, but it did get tedious changing in between "ZOMG! grind mode" where nothing can kill them and cover basic sht "heal alil bit and nothign ealse....hey no dun you that!111"and such...it could have been better implemented with persets for each character and resets for the group. I was rather surprised that it was better polished in how it checks and dose gambits than the AI scripts for charatcers in dragon age...tactics is a bit...wonky....

Mmmmmmmmmmm FFX and FF12 are a tie on story and characters...sadly.... I can see the good and the bad of both...I think all in all FF12 has better story/dialog FFX has a better plot its jsut poorly utilized.

Blitz ball was more intereing than the game itself too.... the things they did with summons was nice as was the eventual customize equipment, the sphere grid was great but for the generic classes they used, they could have done the classes a bit better gave out more classic skills instead of just use normal spells and such, but still you progress from your class to teh enxt class by it...I can dig that...the game itself tho....was CRAP disconjointed settings a story you want to stab your eyes out over..I mean gamepaly aside its FF8 all over again.....and I think FF8 had a better romance story than FFX 0-o

god...you know you played to much FF when........ LOL

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

Not really as the real time combat can be turned off so its your fault for using it :p
What really destroyed the game was it had generic generic equipment and a crap pooly thought out skill system and blitz where cheap and crappy, it was mostly a very shallow game.

I had more fun toying with the combat system than the game itself, but it did get tedious changing in between "ZOMG! grind mode" where nothing can kill them and cover basic sht "heal alil bit and nothign ealse....hey no dun you that!111"and such...it could have been better implemented with persets for each character and resets for the group. I was rather surprised that it was better polished in how it checks and dose gambits than the AI scripts for charatcers in dragon age...tactics is a bit...wonky....

Mmmmmmmmmmm FFX and FF12 are a tie on story and characters...sadly.... I can see the good and the bad of both...I think all in all FF12 has better story/dialog FFX has a better plot its jsut poorly utilized.

Blitz ball was more intereing than the game itself too.... the things they did with summons was nice as was the eventual customize equipment, the sphere grid was great but for the generic classes they used, they could have done the classes a bit better gave out more classic skills instead of just use normal spells and such, but still you progress from your class to teh enxt class by it...I can dig that...the game itself tho....was CRAP disconjointed settings a story you want to stab your eyes out over..I mean gamepaly aside its FF8 all over again.....and I think FF8 had a better romance story than FFX 0-o

X wasn't so much a romance as a tragedy, and it's rarely done in games that a main character dies like that - which is bonus points for bravery and creativity.

But the battle system I'm referring to isn't just turn based, it's conditionally turn based; it uses an actual initiative system, wherein your actions determine how long you have to wait for that character to be able to do something again. In my mind it was pure perfection in that regard, and I wish XII had kept it instead of going the "let's try to be oblivion" route they went.

And the fact that it does it without the mind-fucking stress load that the ATB puts on you is a HUGE plus.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

X wasn't so much a romance as a tragedy, and it's rarely done in games that a main character dies like that - which is bonus points for bravery and creativity.

But the battle system I'm referring to isn't just turn based, it's conditionally turn based; it uses an actual initiative system, wherein your actions determine how long you have to wait for that character to be able to do something again. In my mind it was pure perfection in that regard, and I wish XII had kept it instead of going the "let's try to be oblivion" route they went.

And the fact that it does it without the mind-fucking stress load that the ATB puts on you is a HUGE plus.
Mmmmm no...the triadic aspect of it dose not make it suck better.... you should watch more anime, tragedy is over done... done better sometimes...but over the top when it is used....

And your argument on the combat is semantics(even more so when its set to TB and goes by turns as well as without the gambits, they really should have made a easy button for turning it on....) I felt the combat was worse in FFX than FF9 or FF7..... or even FFX2...from what I played of it...a shame you could not change equipment independently with the dress spheres was hoping for more FF5 and less barbie with that one....

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The definition of role-playing game is quite simple actually.

A Role-Playing game is a game where the abillities of the character your playing supercede your own and determine success or failure. In a game where the results are entirely dependant on your personal abillities, then it is not an RPG.

The development of "Action RPGs" is basically an attempt to create a hybrid in which there is more active and constant player input than simply selection actions "turn based" and let a mathe engine crunch some stats and a few random variables to prevent things from being entirely predictable. The proper definition in this case depends on the game still relying primarily on stats, with invisible dice being rolled in the backround as opposed to the results being dependant on your aim.

One of the problems with the term is that RPG players tend to be fairly elitist and with good reason. It takes a certain degree of intelligence to be able to compile and understand the complicated statistics and rules of a lot of RPGs. Granted this is not being smart in any practical way though, so it falls heavily into the "nerd" catagory. RPGs dominated gaming for quite a while it seems, before the mainstream got involved and FPS type games really took off. Still among the nerds there is a desire for a lot of them to prove that they are smart or "elite" nerds. Given the fact that you can't take a dumb person, or someone with the desire but not the time to invest, and suddenly make them understand, you have seen a lot of RPGs gradually become simplified and devolve more and more into twitch games under the limited justification of "action RPG" even when the RPG elements are non-existant or virtually so. Borderlands for example claims to be an action RPG, but strictly speaking while you can customize abillities you can beat the game without allocating a single talent if your patient enough or have the desire.

This is incidently where a lot of conflict among gamers comes from. A lot of people want to be considered RPG gamers, but those people also want immediate gratification and not to have to work or think. "Real" RPG gamers on the other hand want to approach things as an intellectual exercise and work with stats and statistics, the more complicated and involved the better. This is incidently one of the big arguements by guys who LIKE turn based RPGs and games that allow you to think between each move and have the game move at your pace.

I will also say that increasingly it seems RPGs seem to be replacing depth with sheer length. Generally speaking I've gradually noticed that a lot of the people who brag about their RPG prowess are playing games that aren't very good RPGs, but for whatever reason are very long and thus unapproachable. Even if not hard, not everyone wants to put a hundred hours into a game for a playthrough, especially if it's mediocre.

The thing about the really long RPGs that RPG players worshipped is that they were very good, and very deep for the day they were created. In response to people complaining about length I think a number of companies have come to the conclusion that they can simply sacrifice quality for length and satisfy the fans. To some extent this DOES appeal to a certain kind of mainstream pseudo-RPG player, but also explains why a lot of the hardcore RPG crowd complains.

At any rate, this is getting well off subject.

The bottom line is that as I said initially an RPG is a game where the abillities of the character your playing determine far more than the abillities of the player. This way a "Lobster Accountant" with a moderatly large amount of brain power, but no reflexs or coordination or whatever, can be the "great warrior" without having to be able to manipulate a controller.

It is true that in almost all games you take on the role of some character, but RPG isn't a label intended to be understood literally. The nod to the PnP games that inspired them is of course obvious, as is the logic. Guys sitting around a table having adventures with numbers and dice, rather than say going out and trying to do exciting things in person (like say taking up Spelunking instead of pretending to explore caves, or learning how to fence for real, or whatever else).

Helba1984

Dec 17, 2009
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

And the fact that it does it without the mind-fucking stress load that the ATB puts on you is a HUGE plus.[
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

Mmmmm no...the triadic aspect of it dose not make it suck better.... you should watch more anime, tragedy is over done... done better sometimes...but over the top when it is used....

And your argument on the combat is semantics(even more so when its set to TB and goes by turns as well as without the gambits, they really should have made a easy button for turning it on....) I felt the combat was worse in FFX than FF9 or FF7..... or even FFX2...from what I played of it...a shame you could not change equipment independently with the dress spheres was hoping for more FF5 and less barbie with that one....
I didn't like 7 specifically because of ATB. It's a mind-fuck, plain and simple. The designers even consider X's battle system quite different. It's called the Conditional Turn Battle System, as opposed to the Active Time Battle System.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I was expecting a lot from this article but after reading it I wish it was written by "Game Overthinker" Bob instead of Yahtzee...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Borderlands boring? Are we playing the same game? Or did Yahtzee get an Australian Censored edition with no blood and action slowed down by 75%?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Helba1984 said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

And the fact that it does it without the mind-fucking stress load that the ATB puts on you is a HUGE plus.[
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Helba1984 said:

I didn't like 7 specifically because of ATB. It's a mind-fuck, plain and simple. The designers even consider X's battle system quite different. It's called the Conditional Turn Battle System, as opposed to the Active Time Battle System.
you can turn ATB off ya know..... least in FF7 it was that or turning off "turns" so enemies can attack....it was not the turn based nature of FFX it was something else just the mix of skills,characters enemies it felt wrong somehow that with everything else it just blah....blitz ball was more enjoyable.....and I hate sports.....

The only thing I found wrong with 7 was not enough equipment and the meteria system made it easy to make everyone feel generic but despite that the blitz attacks made them more unique and saved the gamepaly from mundandity..... FF9 is the best of the FFs as far as gameplay goes it has the polished classes,skills and equipment characters and dialog is good enough story is so so plot is shooty but its more a fun and fantastical story so its easier to handle than the emoy la la land of 8,X and even bits of 12.... its a shame FF no longer has a sense of whimsy in tis design or story........ FF13 is a nightmare.... its FFX-3......